Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Brandon Bollig

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Like the acquisition a lot. People saying that we gave up too much for him forget the fact that last year was really only his second season in the NHL. He is a good bet to end up being a solid fourth-line grinder for us.

If he can improve his offensive even a little bit I see no reason he couldn't be a 3rd Line shut-down winger.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Wow, yeah if I thought bollig was as useless as galiardi and comeau then I'd be pissed with the trade too. Good thing he's not. In a bottom six role he's more useful than both of those players combined. And I've watched him too. Your assessment of his value to us is inaccurate.

My assessment is in line with Hawks fans and viewers who have seen how underwhelming he is when not playing with Kruger. He has intangibles but in terms of hockey skill there are better players than him for shorter term. Don't want Hawks fans opinions on him? Fine. Don't want a my opinion on him? Fine. I don't think management can hear my cries anyways.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My assessment is in line with Hawks fans and viewers who have seen how underwhelming he is when not playing with Kruger. He has intangibles but in terms of hockey skill there are better players than him for shorter term. Don't want Hawks fans opinions on him? Fine. Don't want a my opinion on him? Fine. I don't think management can hear my cries anyways.

No; I don't want fans opinions on a player that is leaving their team. I'm sure when he signed that extension if you asked Hawks fans they would have told you he's their best grinder and if we wanted him it'd be a second rounder and prospect.

Fans of each teams are homers; I don't take into account a single thing other fans say when a player is traded.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
No; I don't want fans opinions on a player that is leaving their team.

I'm voicing the opinions that we had halfway through the season and when we was signed to that extension. These opinions haven't changed...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is what a 'Hawks fan said on CP:

When he came into the league he was strictly a "tough guy", but over this past year he made big strides and has turned into a really decent 4th line player. In fact the Hawks 4th line played so well together they would actually get a lot of shifts against other teams' top 6.

Bollig still brings a physical element to the game…he goes out of the way to make a big hit, but he's only an average fighter. However he plays a really smart game and he usually makes the smart play when he has the puck, and generally knows where to go without it. He even got some PK time in tight games.

In general he's a tough guy who will stand up for his teammates, but doesn't take many stupid penalties. And unlike most other heavies in the league, he isn't a liability on the ice. He won't embarrass himself playing against high-end talent. I've also heard he's a good guy in the room.

He always played on the 4th line with the Hawks, but it may be possible he'd jump to the 3rd in Calgary. The reason the Hawks traded him was because the cap didn't go up as much as it was expected. They even gave him an extension this past spring. The only knock on Bollig is that he had a pretty miserable playoffs and ended up sitting on the bench most of the time.

I'm surprised the Hawks got a 3rd round pick out of Bollig, then again, like others have said, this was a week draft and Bollig is a known commodity.

I hope this post helps!

I think we can all agree that Bollig probably wasn't worth a late 3rd rounder, but he also was not worth a late 6th rounder.

I especially don't mind that we gave up a 3rd rounder, considering that we managed to pick Ollas Mattson with Anaheim's 6th.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know, but here you can clearly see his stickhandling prowess:

Honestly, him making that video is up there with McGrattan asking to be in the shootout every time. Having another character like that in the room is a great thing.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Watching Bollig flounder on the Flames this year is a constant reminder of why rebuilding teams don't trade 3rd round picks for 4th line slugs who can be easily picked up on waivers/UFA when required.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Watching Bollig flounder on the Flames this year is a constant reminder of why rebuilding teams don't trade 3rd round picks for 4th line slugs who can be easily picked up on waivers/UFA when required.

While he probably hasn't met the expectations of most fans, he's met mine. He's a better option that McGrattan, may not be a better fighter, but he is a better hockey player. 4th line slug? What exactly were you expecting from this player, Jamie Benn-like play?

I think the Flames acquired him because:

1) He played on a good team who knows how to win; he can bring that same intensity (and I think he has)
2) Like I mentioned, he isn't a liability on the ice
3) The Hawks just resigned him on a really fair contract for 3 years, we get all 3 years of him.
4) That 3rd rounder you are talking about has a way bigger chance of not even cracking an NHL lineup. Bollig has already proven he can play as a decent 4th liner.

The only knock on Bollig is I'd like to see some more offense from him. If I don't, that's fine, I still think he is a better option than McGrattan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I do feel like having a player like Bollig is necessary. Look at how many kids are in our lineup right now. We do have Wolf and BvB, who are probably a little more offensive, but it's arguable if they are NHL ready. So while I won't argue that Bollig is an amazing player, I do think he's serving a purpose on our team. He has been struggling of late though.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I do feel like having a player like Bollig is necessary. Look at how many kids are in our lineup right now. We do have Wolf and BvB, who are probably a little more offensive, but it's arguable if they are NHL ready. So while I won't argue that Bollig is an amazing player, I do think he's serving a purpose on our team. He has been struggling of late though.

Yeah. It's a shame, because there have been games where I thought he was rather effective for us.. I'm almost ready to see a Van Brabant-Bouma-Jooris line in action though.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I've missed most of the recent games, but Bollig was fine in the first ten games or so and actually exceeded my expectations (which were low). Was physical and drove the net, that's what 4th liners are supposed to do. He's no Bouma but he's better than guys like McGrattan, Westgarth and Jackman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00