Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Brandon Bollig

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Seeing as the Flames have no cap/budget issues, I would have preferred a Komarov signing ($2M AAV) over this trade. If Bollig really proves to be another Bouma then I have no problems with this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Seeing as the Flames have no cap/budget issues, I would have preferred a Komarov signing ($2M AAV) over this trade. If Bollig really proves to be another Bouma then I have no problems with this.
Komarov is 5" shorter and 35lbs lighter. He might play a heavy game but he is not effective as Bollig at it.

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
I like the trade. You're getting a guy who will play nicely alongside Bouma, my guess, and giving up a late 3 rounder who wouldn't amount to much anyway.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
what 3rd/4th liner isn't underwhelming the majority of the time? That is why they are 3rd/4th liners! If they weren't underwhelming they would be 1st and 2nd liners.

This seems more like you are looking for something to complain about more than anything.

Good post. To bad most Hawks posters don't get this. Bollig is a solid fourth liner who won't hurt you defensively and will stick up for his teammates. I think some Hawks fans expected 15 goals and blazing speed all while being able to knock out the likes of McGrattan.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Komarov is 5" shorter and 35lbs lighter. He might play a heavy game but he is not effective as Bollig at it.

As I have seen plenty of Komarov's playing, I see this matchup Komarov > Bollig. Of course Bollig is better fighter and hitter, but Komarov has incredible talent to get penalties to opponent and in every team he has played, fans have loved him.

But at the same time I'm happy to see Bollig to get in Westgarth's spot (hopefully).

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
what 3rd/4th liner isn't underwhelming the majority of the time? That is why they are 3rd/4th liners! If they weren't underwhelming they would be 1st and 2nd liners.

This seems more like you are looking for something to complain about more than anything.

Except I'm not comparing him to 2st or 2nd or 3rd liners. I am comparing to 4th liners, where Bollig is underwhelming when not playing with Kruger. The only one worse that the Flames have is Westgarth.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Like I said in another thread, gotta feel for Edmonton and Vancouver.. Bouma, Westgarth, McGrattan, Bollig, Smid, Wolf, geez :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Instantly I feel my protective instincts coming on toward Byron. Why is what he did last season so underappreciated? :cry:

I loved Byron last season. I was hesitant when he first got called up, but he really won me over especially toward the end of the season. Hopefully he agrees to another 2-way deal, because having him in Adirondack as a call-up option is so valuable.

See, I'm torn. I love the guy too, but I just don't see a place for him. If it were my call, he'd be back, but I don't see him fitting with Treliving/Burke.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just a thought, but is it possible Bollig is going to be a replacement for McGrattan? Aside from fighting, Bollig is far more effective.
From all accounts, McGrattan is a great dressing room guy - I'm not sure that you'd want to mess with that chemistry during a rebuild. He's also under contract for 14/15 where the other two being mentioned (Westgarth / Galiardi) are not.

I do like that Bollig lead the Hawks in hits, despite playing 1000 minutes less than Seabrook (who had the 2nd most hits)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See, I'm torn. I love the guy too, but I just don't see a place for him. If it were my call, he'd be back, but I don't see him fitting with Treliving/Burke.

I don't think that's true. Burke has this big caracature image in the press of truculence and size, but really what he values is players who are difficult to play against and fun to watch play. Byron came up huge in both categories last year. If anything, I think he's a guy players are going to have to beat out if they want to make the team this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think that's true. Burke has this big caracature image in the press of truculence and size, but really what he values is players who are difficult to play against and fun to watch play. Byron came up huge in both categories last year. If anything, I think he's a guy players are going to have to beat out if they want to make the team this year.
No matter how you slice it, it will be a fight for Byron to make the team. I actually have this gut feeling he may not receive a qualifying offer.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No matter how you slice it, it will be a fight for Byron to make the team. I actually have this gut feeling he may not receive a qualifying offer.

That would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. I would hate to not even give him a chance to make the team next year. What kind of message would that send to players in the organization? The guy worked his ass off last year and was one of our most effective wingers. He proved he can play in just about any role.

Best case scenario, he takes a two-way contract. Worst case scenario, qualify him to be a 13th forward.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Except I'm not comparing him to 2st or 2nd or 3rd liners. I am comparing to 4th liners, where Bollig is underwhelming when not playing with Kruger. The only one worse that the Flames have is Westgarth.

Wow, yeah if I thought bollig was as useless as galiardi and comeau then I'd be pissed with the trade too. Good thing he's not. In a bottom six role he's more useful than both of those players combined. And I've watched him too. Your assessment of his value to us is inaccurate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. I would hate to not even give him a chance to make the team next year. What kind of message would that send to players in the organization? The guy worked his ass off last year and was one of our most effective wingers. He proved he can play in just about any role.

Best case scenario, he takes a two-way contract. Worst case scenario, qualify him to be a 13th forward.
I agree. It's just this feeling I have had the last couple days. There is no basis behind it at all.

But I could just be hungry.....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wow, yeah if I thought bollig was as useless as galiardi and comeau then I'd be pissed with the trade too. Good thing he's not. In a bottom six role he's more useful than both of those players combined. And I've watched him too. Your assessment of his value to us is inaccurate.
At least we are on the same page with this one :laugh:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
At least we are on the same page with this one :laugh:

Haha...I actually think you're a solid poster, and I appreciate all the ahl insight because I don't see the games. My beef is how you treat other posters...but whatever, its your prerogative. Generally I agree with a lot of what you post.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Yeah, at the very least he keeps the job competition honest. I'd be interested to know the return we could get for him. Seriously Byron could be a great fit on a lot of teams. Great player last year.

JulianHopper*

Welcome Brandon Bollig

Good acquisition by the Flames for sure.

One area the Flames were lacking last season was timely hits or just hits in general. I believe they were 22nd in the league last year.

Bollig is still young and can actually play on the 3rd line.

Good move here by the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I'm trying to think of a comparable young dman with decent upside who's a fringe roster player due to depth. I'll flip through some pages later. Wonder if Jersey has a guy they would deal straight across?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I'm trying to think of a comparable young dman with decent upside who's a fringe roster player due to depth. I'll flip through some pages later. Wonder if Jersey has a guy they would deal straight across?
I think the best we could do is a more of a long shot type prospect. Using HF rankings maybe a 6-6.5C or a 7.0D. From the Devils the only I think could be a mutual possibility is Seth Helgeson

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Like the acquisition a lot. People saying that we gave up too much for him forget the fact that last year was really only his second season in the NHL. He is a good bet to end up being a solid fourth-line grinder for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad