Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Brandon Bollig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What a big gaff that would be.
How do you figure? You act like Bollig is some goon, buy he isn't. He just finished his first full NHL season and had 7 goals and 14 points as a role player. He's bigger and meaner than Galiardi and better suited for a role that could see some 4th line time.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
How do you figure? You act like Bollig is some goon, buy he isn't. He just finished his first full NHL season and had 7 goals and 14 points as a role player. He's bigger and meaner than Galiardi and better suited for a role that could see some 4th line time.

I have a different perspective. Galiardi was ******* awful last season but that was his worst NHL season ever. Galiardi has the potential to rebound and regain some form (maybe like how Gio was ****ing dog awful 2 seasons ago, but rebounded last season but I'm not expecting quite the return for Galiardi). If Bollig is to truly replace him instead of Westgarth then it is absolutely a huge gaff since Galiardi is much better that Wesgarth, and Westgarth is awful.

And secondly, I don't act like he's a goon simply because I've seen enough Chicago games (2+ seasons now) to know that he isn't a goon. He is, in fact, a borderline 4th liner. And since Hartley likes DEM LINE CHANGES I fully expect him to see some 3rd line minutes from time to time. I sincerely hope to be wrong and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but my hopes aren't that high to begin with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a different perspective. Galiardi was ******* awful last season but that was his worst NHL season ever. Galiardi has the potential to rebound and regain some form (maybe like how Gio was ****ing dog awful 2 seasons ago, but rebounded last season but I'm not expecting quite the return for Galiardi). If Bollig is to truly replace him instead of Westgarth then it is absolutely a huge gaff since Galiardi is much better that Wesgarth, and Westgarth is awful.

And secondly, I don't act like he's a goon simply because I've seen enough Chicago games (2+ seasons now) to know that he isn't a goon. He is, in fact, a borderline 4th liner. And since Hartley likes DEM LINE CHANGES I fully expect him to see some 3rd line minutes from time to time. I sincerely hope to be wrong and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but my hopes aren't that high to begin with.
Oh right I forgot he's the new Comeau :shakehead

who BTW was one of our hardest working and most physical players while he was here.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Oh right I forgot he's the new Comeau :shakehead

who BTW was one of our hardest working and most physical players while he was here.

And Bollig is the same. I won't knock him there. In fact he is also pretty good in the locker room. But my point being is that he is an underwhelming player the majority of the time he is on the ice, and you have to watch the games in order to see how underwhelming he is.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have a different perspective. Galiardi was ******* awful last season but that was his worst NHL season ever. Galiardi has the potential to rebound and regain some form

That is exactly the sort of sentiment we had for Comeau. The only difference was he had his bad season before we acquired him.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
That is exactly the sort of sentiment we had for Comeau. The only difference was he had his bad season before we acquired him.

And the main difference being that Comeau was just bad as was Galiardi was offensively snakebitten. Galiardi would have a helluva lot more points last season if he were able to settle down and stop shooting the puck 2 inches wide. And you know what? I'd rather risk having a snakebitten Galiardi for one more year rather than an Bollig for three. And at least Galiardi is good on the forecheck.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Meh, it's a late 3rd round pick in a less than deep draft. The odds of that pick being anything of substance is minimal.

The odds of Bollig being anything of substance is likely less than minimal.

I rebuilding team doesn't need to be giving up 3rd round picks for 4th line players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And the main difference being that Comeau was just bad as was Galiardi was offensively snakebitten. Galiardi would have a helluva lot more points last season if he were able to settle down and stop shooting the puck 2 inches wide. And you know what? I'd rather risk having a snakebitten Galiardi for one more year rather than an Bollig for three. And at least Galiardi is good on the forecheck.

It's not just about point totals, but about consistently being the one to give up the puck in the offensive zone and not be able to help a line sustain possession. The puck often dies on Galiardi's stick, and that's something that was common with Comeau first (after he did a couple laps of the o-zone, often). And to suggest that Comeau wasn't snakebit just as much as Galiardi is ridiculous, to me.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Main difference as I see it is Galiardi has been trending down, while Bollig has been improving.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
The odds of Bollig being anything of substance is likely less than minimal.

I rebuilding team doesn't need to be giving up 3rd round picks for 4th line players.

I wasn't too happy about the trade and agree with this statement for the most part, BUT ....Calgary has a lot more skilled prospects than most people realize, we'll need some bigger players to complement them. Also we need several stop-gap players for the next several years until our prospects can make the club full time / become NHL regulars (unlike Edm).

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
And to suggest that Comeau wasn't snakebit just as much as Galiardi is ridiculous, to me.

And it isn't to me, because you can see the differences between the players when they are on the ice. At the very least Galiardi is a forechecking dog who fetches the puck for his team mates when the puck is dumped in. Bollig should be a replacement for Westgarth, who is slow and doesn't win any fights and doesn't forecheck or backcheck very well, but replacing Galiardi is backwards to me (if this is true).

And lets put it this way: if our 4th line was...
Comeau - Wesgarth - McGrattan
... and if someone said Bollig was to replace Comeau instead of Westgarth I would voicing my concern all the same.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Regardless of who he MAY replace, I see one positive side to this. It's going to create some competition for players to make the lineup and stay in it. I'd be fine with bringing back Galiardi as well, and making the guys compete for the spots.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I wasn't too happy about the trade and agree with this statement for the most part, BUT ....Calgary has a lot more skilled prospects than most people realize, we'll need some bigger players to complement them. Also we need several stop-gap players for the next several years until our prospects can make the club full time / become NHL regulars (unlike Edm).

I expect that you can get stop gap players for under $1M every year at UFA time.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Just a thought, but is it possible Bollig is going to be a replacement for McGrattan? Aside from fighting, Bollig is far more effective.

Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Gaudreau - Backlund - Jones
Byron - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - Galiardi
McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Wideman - Wotherspoon

The Heat-er, the Baby Flames could look something like;

Baertschi - Bennett - Poirier
Granlund - Knight - Wolf
Reinhart - Jones/Street - Agostino
Ferland - Jooris - Hanowski

Billins - Smith
O'Brien - Sieloff
Kulak - Culkin

Ortio - Roy

Send Klimchuk back to the WHL. This still leaves us with Van Brabant, Arnold, Elson. Gotta think there are some more deals coming.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Just a thought, but is it possible Bollig is going to be a replacement for McGrattan? Aside from fighting, Bollig is far more effective.

Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Gaudreau - Backlund - Jones
Byron - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - Galiardi
McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Wideman - Wotherspoon

The Heat-er, the Baby Flames could look something like;

Baertschi - Bennett - Poirier
Granlund - Knight - Wolf
Reinhart - Jones/Street - Agostino
Ferland - Jooris - Hanowski

Billins - Smith
O'Brien - Sieloff
Kulak - Culkin

Ortio - Roy

Send Klimchuk back to the WHL. This still leaves us with Van Brabant, Arnold, Elson. Gotta think there are some more deals coming.

Bennett isn't eligible for the AHL next season

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Forgot about that. I was hoping Sven and Bennett could develop chemistry together, but I'd likely bring Sven up and put him where Byron is. Byron can then... likely go somewhere else.

Instantly I feel my protective instincts coming on toward Byron. Why is what he did last season so underappreciated? :cry:

I loved Byron last season. I was hesitant when he first got called up, but he really won me over especially toward the end of the season. Hopefully he agrees to another 2-way deal, because having him in Adirondack as a call-up option is so valuable.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
this move pretty much confirms that more youngsters will be on the team next year. Safety measures for the one and only Johnny Hockey I'd assume. With Bollig, Grats, Bouma, and possibly god-knows-why Westgarth, no one will dare to touch our little saint.

With the way Bennett plays I wouldn't doubt he makes the team in a checking role sheltered on the left-wing because of his strong two way play. His never quit attitude will win the coaching staff and the management's hearts.

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Bennett-Stajan-Jones
Bollig-Bouma-McGrattan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And Bollig is the same. I won't knock him there. In fact he is also pretty good in the locker room. But my point being is that he is an underwhelming player the majority of the time he is on the ice, and you have to watch the games in order to see how underwhelming he is.
what 3rd/4th liner isn't underwhelming the majority of the time? That is why they are 3rd/4th liners! If they weren't underwhelming they would be 1st and 2nd liners.

This seems more like you are looking for something to complain about more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad