Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Brandon Bollig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
oh look the Flames lose so someone needs to find a whipping boy, what a shock.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Watching Bollig flounder on the Flames this year is a constant reminder of why rebuilding teams don't trade 3rd round picks for 4th line slugs who can be easily picked up on waivers/UFA when required.

That is exactly the kind of trade that a rebuilding team needs to make. You identify players in fringe roles on stronger teams and see if they can handle a bigger role on your team. They just don't convert at a rate of 100%.

3rd.......................Bollig
4th.......................Colborne
5th.......................Russell
5th.......................Galiardi

Galiardi didn't work out, and lets say Bollig turns out to be a dud. That's still two key pieces for four mid round picks. The Flames should be making one or two of these kinds of trades every season until the re build is complete.

The Flames would be very lucky to have turned those four picks into 2 important roster players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He did have a pretty terrible game. I think he's generally been good though so far this season.
He has been, but it's a case where certain posters always need someone to blame or need to point out perceived mistakes because we aren't on a winning streak.

Quite frankly Bollig beating Orpik's dirty ass after his hits on Jooris are exactly why he was picked up and why he is worth a late 3rd round pick. He is willing to get his hands dirty and actually go after a guy for a cheap play on one of our kids. I love McGrattan but he is not willing to do the same unless it's another enforcer that does something.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He has been, but it's a case where certain posters always need someone to blame or need to point out perceived mistakes because we aren't on a winning streak.

Quite frankly Bollig beating Orpik's dirty ass after his hits on Jooris are exactly why he was picked up and why he is worth a late 3rd round pick. He is willing to get his hands dirty and actually go after a guy for a cheap play on one of our kids. I love McGrattan but he is not willing to do the same unless it's another enforcer that does something.

Maybe I am thinking highly of Bollig, but our whole team has been standing up for each other, and it's started with Bollig, Engelland and Giordano.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
While he probably hasn't met the expectations of most fans, he's met mine. He's a better option that McGrattan, may not be a better fighter, but he is a better hockey player. 4th line slug? What exactly were you expecting from this player, Jamie Benn-like play?

I agree. I've liked what I've seen from Bollig.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
For the record Bollig has the 3rd worst Corsi % in the entire league, ahead of just 2 BUF players. When he is on the ice he is outshot 2-to-1, which is incredible. I like his intangibles, but when he is on the ice, all we are trying to do is not get scored on, which is no way to win games. Not to mention a few goals are directly attributed to him (CAR 3rd, getting beat out of the corner in WSH).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...s=50&teamid=0&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=ASC

The only nice thing is that 3rds through 7ths all have marginal chances of making it to the NHL. Still I would rather have not made this trade.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Well to be fair, when we lose its usually due to players not playing well. Nothing wrong with pointing it out.
Bollig has done his role so far quite well I think.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
That is exactly the kind of trade that a rebuilding team needs to make. You identify players in fringe roles on stronger teams and see if they can handle a bigger role on your team. They just don't convert at a rate of 100%.

3rd.......................Bollig
4th.......................Colborne
5th.......................Russell
5th.......................Galiardi

Galiardi didn't work out, and lets say Bollig turns out to be a dud. That's still two key pieces for four mid round picks. The Flames should be making one or two of these kinds of trades every season until the re build is complete.

The Flames would be very lucky to have turned those four picks into 2 important roster players.

I agree with yoru thought process to a point.

Gambling a low draft pick for a player with high skills is a gamble that may pay off.

Bioth Russell and Colborne where high skill guys. They were worth the risk.

But Bollig was a marginal NHL'er. He's the type of player you pick off the scrap heap. Yopu don't invst a 3rd round pick and have him saddling you with a 3 year contract. Chicago replaced him with Carcillo, who's signed for 1 year at the league minimum. If you need a 4th liner who can hit abit, look tot he waiver wire and the UFA list. Don't overpay when there is very little to zero upside in the player.

Bollig was a "hidden gem" on Chicago, able to produce better with more responsibility. He was a sheltered player who looked like an NHL'er playing on a team with an elite supporting cast.

I agree in that I loved the Colborne and Russel trades when made. Those were gambles with high upsides.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bollig isn't exactly a possession type of player, never has been, so it should not be surprising to anyone if his stats in that area are poor because that's not his game. His job is to be a bulldog on the ice, crash the boards, skate hard, throw the body and provide a physical presence and drop them when he has to. He's not the brightest player either, but he's a decent skater and he does his job well. When you have the amount of young players we do in our lineup, you need a guy like him, he's an upgrade on Grats, so I'm fine with the deal. You don't want a player like that costing you games though, and up until his last few I've thought he's been pretty good in his role overall this season.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
His job is to be a bulldog on the ice, crash the boards, skate hard, throw the body and provide a physical presence and drop them when he has to. He's not the brightest player either, but he's a decent skater and he does his job well.

Bollig has not been a bulldog, more like a whimpering puppy.

I agree with your job description, but he'd be fired if you compared his performance vs. the job description.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bollig has not been a bulldog, more like a whimpering puppy.

I agree with your job description, but he'd be fired if you compared his performance vs. the job description.

I'll partially agree, maybe he hasn't exactly been a bull dog, but he's still 3rd on our team in hits and the most willing to fight, so I would argue he does make his presence felt, but to your point he's no Clutterbuck for example.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder if scratching him for a game and bringing out McGrattan might get him fired up? Who knows, it's worked on two of our players already :laugh:.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I wonder if scratching him for a game and bringing out McGrattan might get him fired up? Who knows, it's worked on two of our players already :laugh:.

I think that's an excellent sugestion. Players like Bollig cannot become complacent.

Last year he was about 20th in the league in hits, about 2.5 per game. This year he's about 40th, about 2 per game.

I'm not quite sure how meaningful that really is.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Bollig is fine. He's going to improve and will be a huge asset along with Jooris and Bouma on the bottom line.

All this talk about the controversy of investing a 3rd round pick on Bollig makes me think how valuable Bouma is on this team - 3rd round pick in 2008 and probably is or at least developing into one of the best bottom liner in the NHL imo. Been really impressed with him since mid last season.

I thought Bollig played well whenever he was put alongside Bouma, and add Jooris to that line and it's an extremely valuable bottom line that thrives under the system we are employing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well to be fair, when we lose its usually due to players not playing well. Nothing wrong with pointing it out.
Bollig has done his role so far quite well I think.
You rarely lose games because 1 player is not playing well. Last night Bollig was the least of our worries.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
For the record Bollig has the 3rd worst Corsi % in the entire league, ahead of just 2 BUF players. When he is on the ice he is outshot 2-to-1, which is incredible. I like his intangibles, but when he is on the ice, all we are trying to do is not get scored on, which is no way to win games. Not to mention a few goals are directly attributed to him (CAR 3rd, getting beat out of the corner in WSH).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...s=50&teamid=0&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=ASC

The only nice thing is that 3rds through 7ths all have marginal chances of making it to the NHL. Still I would rather have not made this trade.

Yeap he's not a great player I've said that from the beginning and even when there were winning. Also not a fan of Engelland, but the whole 3rd pairing is usually suspect and gets hemmed in their own zone.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Any conversation that involves "Flames" and "Bad" that doesn't include the name "Setoguchi" is a fact-deficient conversation.

Setoguchi is atrocious.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
People who are angry at Bollig need to relax.
He's a bottom 6 energy player, who protects his team well, bangs and isn't a total liability on the ice. I've liked his game so far this year, honestly.

And HF boards are all about the draft picks and prospects. The likelihood of that guy we picked with the second 3rd we had last year, in a weak draft, making the NHL in 4-5 years is still up in the air. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to do the dirty things... His paycheck was paid for me when he sacked Orpik after two questionable hits. If Big Ern was out there, he'd be shooting daggers on the bench and then maybe fight another goon.

I rather have the guy who stands up no matter what.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
I think Bollig has been pretty good, and has only started looking a little shaky recently and that's probably due to injuries to the team. I'm impressed with how much he's bought-in to the Flames, since being traded here.

And to be fair to McGrattan, he's not really a guy who can go and fight a Brooks Orpik type. Hypothetically I'm sure if Calgary was playing Anaheim or San Jose (two teams that actually dress goons) and Jackman or Scott went after Lance Bouma for throwing a questionable hit people here would be screaming bloody murder.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I agree with yoru thought process to a point.

Gambling a low draft pick for a player with high skills is a gamble that may pay off.

Bioth Russell and Colborne where high skill guys. They were worth the risk.

But Bollig was a marginal NHL'er. He's the type of player you pick off the scrap heap. Yopu don't invst a 3rd round pick and have him saddling you with a 3 year contract. Chicago replaced him with Carcillo, who's signed for 1 year at the league minimum. If you need a 4th liner who can hit abit, look tot he waiver wire and the UFA list. Don't overpay when there is very little to zero upside in the player.

Bollig was a "hidden gem" on Chicago, able to produce better with more responsibility. He was a sheltered player who looked like an NHL'er playing on a team with an elite supporting cast.

I agree in that I loved the Colborne and Russel trades when made. Those were gambles with high upsides.

This I agree with. I do like Bollig in front of our net and opposing teams nets. He's a good tough guy to support our young players. But in large he's not very effective in our lineup. the cost for him and the contract are bad, he's simply not worth either. Should have been a 5th round pick at most and 1 year. But it was a gamble that is looking like it didn't pan out. Like you said Colburne and Russell are the opposite situation. Sometimes you win and others, not so much. At the time I honestly thought Bollig was worth the gamble. Thought he'd be an upgrade to a 4th line plug, but he's not so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00