Flames 5 @ Oilers 4 - Orange is the New Blue, with a Frolik Hatty

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Hey guys, just watched the recap of last night's loss and unless I'm missing something, in no way does that final score seem an indication of how well the Flames played for much of that game. It looks like they had a ton of decent chances while the score was still close, and could have even run it up themselves in the first period if they had converted on a couple of them. Tough loss, to be sure, but glad to see Byron with a strong game against his former team.. go figure, the one breakaway he actually scores on... lol :laugh:

As far as tonight goes, I feel like this could really go either way.. Oilers have impressed me of late, and McDavid is looking like the proverbial glue that franchise was praying he'd be when they tanked for him. That said, if our boys can lay the body to 'em, and capitalize on their chances, we might be able to take the 2 points.

Oh, and excellent GDT, UC! :yo: Great point as well about not hitting the panic button last year when we dropped 8 straight.. mind you, I think we had a few more in the win column at that point, but we did also win a bunch without El Capitan. This team is capable of anything, and no better team to turn it around against that the Coil.. when did we call Ramp back up, and is he for sure confirmed starter??

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hey guys, just watched the recap of last night's loss and unless I'm missing something, in no way does that final score seem an indication of how well the Flames played for much of that game. It looks like they had a ton of decent chances while the score was still close, and could have even run it up themselves in the first period if they had converted on a couple of them. Tough loss, to be sure, but glad to see Byron with a strong game against his former team.. go figure, the one breakaway he actually scores on... lol :laugh:
There was one point in the 2nd period where the Flames were outshooting them 7-3 and they scored on two of those three shots.

The third period was laughably bad though, they stunk so hard my TV had odor lines on it.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Do we already forget the pillaging that happened when Sutter made a panic trade and sent Phaneuf away for spare parts?

Yeah, nothing should happen that wouldn't happen if the start was better.

Weren't there other *ahem* factors that played into how and why Phaneuf was moved, or was that just an urban legend?

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
There was one point in the 2nd period where the Flames were outshooting them 7-3 and they scored on two of those three shots.

The third period was laughably bad though, they stunk so hard my TV had odor lines on it.

:laugh:

But yeah, it did look like a bloody gong show defensively towards the end of the game, especially on Weise's 3rd goal, but I guess they'd already given up by then.

I really don't have a prediction for this one.. I honestly thought Ramp would be traded before I'd ever see him back in action with us, but let's hope he can play like he's capable of and get a little O and D help in front of him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Cue unnecessary penalty in 3, 2...
I think he is being put in the lineup to try to get into a fight on his first shift. Don't be surprised if he is on the ice for the opening draw. With how we played last night, that is not a terrible idea.

I also didn't even notice Grant last night, so I am surprised he is coming out of the lineup since I didn't know he was in it :laugh:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If the only penalties Bollig takes tonight are fighting majors I'm all for it.

but any other kind of dumb penalty and it's bordering on he's lost his control.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If the only penalties Bollig takes tonight are fighting majors I'm all for it.

but any other kind of dumb penalty and it's bordering on he's lost his control.

It's posts like this that have me defending Bollig until I am blue in the face. The guy has 5 ****ing minor penalties this year and you guys act like he is out there taking 3 or 4 per night. The blind and uneducated disdain for him is borderline ********.

Josh Jooris has taken the same number of minor penalties (with one being a double minor, not sure why the NHL doesn't count it as 2 penalties), why are you not crying about him too? His penalties have been tripping (MTL), high sticking (OTT), tripping (WPG), high sticking dbl (WPG) and roughing (VAN). High sticking penalties are always bad penalties, tripping penalties are almost always bad penalties too.

Bollig's 5 minors are roughing (OTT), delay of game (NYI), interference (NYI), kneeing (WSH) and roughing (VAN). Puck over the glass penalties blow, but they are almost always ****** luck. the interference was bad, but the rest are apart of being physical.

So again I ask, why are you busy complaining about Bollig's penalties but someone like Jooris who has been playing far below his play off last year getting a free pass? It makes absolutely no sense.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Bollig's 5 minors are roughing (OTT), delay of game (NYI), interference (NYI), kneeing (WSH) and roughing (VAN). Puck over the glass penalties blow, but they are almost always ****** luck. the interference was bad, but the rest are apart of being physical.

That penalty against Ottawa was the worst of them all, punching noted goon Erik Karlsson in the back of the head beside the benches while the puck is miles away. The Flames had just scored two quick goals and were very much in control.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That penalty against Ottawa was the worst of them all, punching noted goon Erik Karlsson in the back of the head beside the benches while the puck is miles away. The Flames had just scored two quick goals and were very much in control.
sometimes those penalties can get in the heads of the opponents, that's why guys like Bollig do it, it gets them looking over their shoulder a little bit. But it sure isn't worse than a player who can't control their stick. I'm not saying they are good penalties, but at the very least they could have a purpose.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
100TG I don't hate him. Never have I said I do, he has a place on the team, just not every game which he hasn't played.

it's more the timing of his penalties. like, whenever he takes one we lose all momentum and the other team has scored on the PP and turned the game totally in their favor. remember he isn't some 22 yr old, he's around 30 I think? it's just his timing has sucked this season.

I don't see why Jooris is being brought up but okay? he needs to work on his control too.

EDIT: I consider ANY penalty taken that does not save a goal to be a stupid and useless penalty

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
100TG I don't hate him. Never have I said I do, he has a place on the team, just not every game which he hasn't played.

it's more the timing of his penalties. like, whenever he takes one we lose all momentum and the other team has scored on the PP and turned the game totally in their favor. remember he isn't some 22 yr old, he's around 30 I think? it's just his timing has sucked this season.

I don't see why Jooris is being brought up but okay? he needs to work on his control too.
None of those "bad penalties" to Bollig recently have resulted in goals against. I brought up Jooris because he has played the same number of games and is penalized more. He is also supposed to be playing a bigger role than he is. People are constantly giving free passes to guys but always target Bollig, it's getting stupid and tiresome. If we are going to place blame, let's start blaming the guys that are playing significantly below the way they did last year. Jooris is one of those players.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I think he is being put in the lineup to try to get into a fight on his first shift. Don't be surprised if he is on the ice for the opening draw. With how we played last night, that is not a terrible idea.

I also didn't even notice Grant last night, so I am surprised he is coming out of the lineup since I didn't know he was in it :laugh:

I second this idea. I am hoping there are plenty of brawls to scare Connor McBaby and Baby Hall from crashing into the net or something.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
None of those "bad penalties" to Bollig recently have resulted in goals against. I brought up Jooris because he has played the same number of games and is penalized more. He is also supposed to be playing a bigger role than he is. People are constantly giving free passes to guys but always target Bollig, it's getting stupid and tiresome. If we are going to place blame, let's start blaming the guys that are playing significantly below the way they did last year. Jooris is one of those players.

Okay, compared to Bollig, yeah Jooris plays a 'bigger role' but he's a depth player, 3rd liner. Bollig has always been a 4th line tough guy/grinder type. Jooris came out of nowhere last year and had an good season for a guys 1st season.

the whole team has sucked monkey butt this season so far. and whenever Bollig took a penalty it always seemed to start a momentum shift to the opposing teams favor.

Again, I don't mind Bollig. He isn't the sole reason for our struggles and to suggest otherwise is asinine, which I haven't. But he certainly hasn't helped the team in a positive way.

But I'm just going to leave it at that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, compared to Bollig, yeah Jooris plays a 'bigger role' but he's a depth player, 3rd liner. Bollig has always been a 4th line tough guy/grinder type. Jooris came out of nowhere last year and had an good season for a guys 1st season.

the whole team has sucked monkey butt this season so far. and whenever Bollig took a penalty it always seemed to start a momentum shift to the opposing teams favor.

Again, I don't mind Bollig. He isn't the sole reason for our struggles and to suggest otherwise is asinine, which I haven't. But he certainly hasn't helped the team in a positive way.
I think I forgot to save my edit :laugh: I added that it wasn't directed just at you, I am just tired of everyone piling on him when in the grand scheme he is one of the least significant problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad