Flames 5 @ Oilers 4 - Orange is the New Blue, with a Frolik Hatty

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, so far we've won 3 games this year. I saw one live, and didn't get to watch the other two. This saddens me. But that we won last night does not sadden me. That makes me quite happy. And I was completely shocked at that outcome, too. Did not expect the Flames to win last night or tonight.

On to Colorado Tuesday.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah 40 points would be ideal if he's playing on the 2nd or 3rd scoring line. Colborne's got to be consistent as well

I actually liked Colborne and Bennett playing together a couple game ago. It was the most amount of cycling I've seen in the offensive end... in years really. Not the fancy Sedin cycle, but the rough heavy game. Jooris has done well with Bennett and Gaudreau. Could you imagine having a legit scoring threat RW on that line with size? (and not Hudler, honestly, him and Gaudreau together is scary; however, it's scary on both sides of the ice).

Makes you think about the direction of this team. You know that Burkie's part of the staff, and you know he loves his Black and Blue hockey; you know he was probably loving the Bennett/Colborne crashing the boards.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Anyone have the video of Burkie calling out the Oilers organization during the intermission ?

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
What did he say?

Called the organization a joke, a team shouldn't have that many first OVs, it's not how you build a team, etc. All true of course.

Then went on to say the Flames can't do anything about how many top picks the Oilers get, all they can do is assemble their own team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone have the video of Burkie calling out the Oilers organization during the intermission ?

He did it on Tim and Sid a month ago or so too. I don't watch/listen to the show, but I was flipping through the channels and saw Burke was coming up.

I think most GMs and Presidents.., owners, fans, players... Pretty much everyone have the same opinion of the Oil.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, so far we've won 3 games this year. I saw one live, and didn't get to watch the other two. This saddens me. But that we won last night does not sadden me. That makes me quite happy. And I was completely shocked at that outcome, too. Did not expect the Flames to win last night or tonight.

On to Colorado Tuesday.
I don't expect them to win tonight either

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Lol @ the "flukey" wins and how we didn't "really win". Did we kinda win? A win is a win, games like this, are the games good teams have to win, they need those lucky bounces once in awhile, Chicago even won a cup on the exact same goal/shot that ended it. We needed that, to show we wouldn't fold when the opposition keeps pushing back.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Still a ways to go for this team to improve and turn this around but a win is always good. Especially one against the Oilers. Still, the Flames are still letting in too many goals. Hopefully this was a win that will turn this slide around.

Frolik, Bennett and Brodie were just awesome in this game. I'm loving the Frolik signing.

BrewHouse

Oct 22, 2013
Lol @ the "flukey" wins and how we didn't "really win". Did we kinda win? A win is a win, games like this, are the games good teams have to win, they need those lucky bounces once in awhile, Chicago even won a cup on the exact same goal/shot that ended it. We needed that, to show we wouldn't fold when the opposition keeps pushing back.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day…. The fact that the flames ended up with the two points doesn't really reflect how the game unfolded. Yes, they "kind of won" in the sense that they got two points, but I can't imagine that they'll be getting too many more wins if they keep allowing 4+ goals a night and rely on the opposition to make big mistakes in order to generate offence.

Don't get me wrong, i'm as happy as they next guy that the flames came out on top. But unless they are able to make effective and meaningful changes in their game, this past win isn't anything to get excited about. Of course good teams get lucky and need bounces to go their way at times, but that isn't exactly the cornerstone of their strategy. If the flames are actually going to show that they won't "fold when the opposition keeps pushing back," they're going to have to string a few wins together against teams that aren't Edmonton.

But that's just my two cents.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We won, plain and simple. Did I say it was perfect? No. But every decent team needs to win games like that to be successful, getting the win no matter what.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

I was actually also very curious whether anyone had a link to any such video... :popcorn:

I was out and about and only had the chance to catch parts of the 2nd and 3rd (and of course, the highlights after all was said and done), but from what I caught, I really felt Wideman looked quite sharp being matched against McNugget for much of the game; took away his chances, and it even looked like Connor was getting visibly frustrated at times out there, which obviously contributed to his 0 pts and -2.

Some strong efforts last night from a number of Flames from what I saw (Frolik and Brodie and Bennett come to mind), and on the whole, they've actually had some sporadic flashes of brilliance in each of the past 3 games, so let's hope that we're finally turning a corner. Goaltending simply has to be better, nothing else much to say about it.

Oh, and wtf happened to this thread? I know it was Hallowe'en and all, but dayum guys those be some messed-up .gifs.. I'm not even going to ask what the deal was with the "disembowelment posts" :help:

Anyways.. bring on the Avs.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
He did it on Tim and Sid a month ago or so too. I don't watch/listen to the show, but I was flipping through the channels and saw Burke was coming up.

I think most GMs and Presidents.., owners, fans, players... Pretty much everyone have the same opinion of the Oil.

For anyone who haven't seen this:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/burke-last-year-wasnt-a-peak-for-us/

Around the 7:42 mark is when he talks about how the Oilers built their team, and also about how the high draft picks should be regulated.

Pretty good interview too, I always like what Burke has to say.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/burke-last-year-wasnt-a-peak-for-us/

Around the 7:42 mark is when he talks about how the Oilers built their team, and also about how the high draft picks should be regulated.

Thanks for posting, WMS... I think I've just found my first ever sig worthy quote:

“Analytics are like a lamppost to a drunk; useful for support, but not necessarily for illumination.” - Brian Burke

:clap:

Edit: How do I add a sig?

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
You have to be a sponsor iirc

Ah, gotcha..

As Gillies said, great interview nonetheless.. Burke is such a BAMF; so intelligent, has seen so much, and just love the way he carries himself.. commands so much respect. Definitely one of my personal heroes.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Another thanks for the link. Didn't see this interview before!

That reminds me, I need to keep my eyes open for when Burkie is doing another presentation at the UofC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad