Post-Game Talk: Flames 3 Oilers 2 - four losses in a row

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's what the word basically means in this situation. According to Tankathon the odds of the Oilers falling out of the top 10 are less than half a percent. Before they lost tonight. If they lose their next three it might fall as low as 0.1%.

So, you're sayin' there's chance?:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This got no mention on the board but Drai won 5/5 faceoffs in the last minute there. 5 offensive zone faceoffs, wins every one, Oilers get around 5 chances to score in last minute because of these won faceoffs.

Drai also hit a post in the period on a solid shot. Setup Larsson beautifully. Made an incredible pass across to Rattie and was Stoned on another one timer by Smith. Drai also only man back on a Flames 2 on 1 and breaks up the play and reverses puck the other way. Drai also on the PP in the third one hands a possession play at the blueline to keep the puck in with someone all over him. Through sheer bull he keeps the puck in and sustains the action.

All I heard in the GDT is how lousy, lazy, checked out draisaitl is.

Really disgusting comments. I don't know what some people are looking at. This is Drais 3rd period. Alone.

He has around 5 serious scoring chances in the game. Sometimes they don't go. McD had zero shots.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Good that the team lost. Too bad McD didn't get a point. Better for draft position but then it is the Oiler management making the decision shudder ..

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
MAN I can’t believe how much we missed Nuge. He really has gelled with McDavid really well. McD didn’t look right all night. Not sure if it wasn’t just a coincidence or if he wasn’t missing Nuge
Or drai missing every setup.;)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers were one of the top teams that Raanta considered coming to when he was still in europe before deciding to go to Chicago. Talbot has 1 year left, Raanta would definitely have an opportunity to try to steal the starter role here in Edmonton. Plus, it would give Talbot real competition for the job. Win-win if you could sign Raanta.

Or he could just stay in Arizona and keep the no.1 position he has there already.

That and Arizona has no state tax, so Edmonton would have to overpay him to make up for that.

It's not realistic, no 28 year old is going to go running off from a situation where they are likely a lock for the no.1 spot to go maybe try and steal a job from guy who is already a no.1. There's no reason why he shouldn't be getting a deal similar to the one Talbot got here in 2016.

Arizona probably signs him to a 2-3 year deal in the range of $3-$4 mill per. He's had four straight seasons with a good save percentage.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
IMO Drai is our clear cut 2nd best player and Nuge is our clear cut 3rd best player.

How often do guys get concussed from fights against non goons though? I think that if he went against another non fighter and thrashed him it'd send a message to those types.

tbh I don't even know if Drai is a fighter or not. I don't mind if he decides to go at this point in the season but not sure if its really something he does. I don't remember any recent tilts. Will have to look that up.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I don’t expect you to be honest about it but I suspect you’re not watching the games. If you were you’d see why he needs to go.

I watch the games just like you do, unfortunately. Other than playing Lucic too much after the season was long gone and not giving Puljujarvi enough rope to hang a small town what would you do different? Start Montoya? Line match?

Is this a playoff team being held back by a shit coach in your eyes? Did you watch the games when Eakins was around? That’s a snotty response by you just because I have a different opinion.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This got no mention on the board but Drai won 5/5 faceoffs in the last minute there. 5 offensive zone faceoffs, wins every one, Oilers get around 5 chances to score in last minute because of these won faceoffs.

Drai also hit a post in the period on a solid shot. Setup Larsson beautifully. Made an incredible pass across to Rattie and was Stoned on another one timer by Smith. Drai also only man back on a Flames 2 on 1 and breaks up the play and reverses puck the other way. Drai also on the PP in the third one hands a possession play at the blueline to keep the puck in with someone all over him. Through sheer bull he keeps the puck in and sustains the action.

All I heard in the GDT is how lousy, lazy, checked out draisaitl is.

Really disgusting comments. I don't know what some people are looking at. This is Drais 3rd period. Alone.

He has around 5 serious scoring chances in the game. Sometimes they don't go. McD had zero shots.

McDavid set up most of those Drai serious scoring chances and rang one off the cross bar himself. No reason to throw in that little jab at McDavid to try and make Drai look good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I love that accountability only extends to the coaches in this organization. Mac T, Quinn, Renney, Krueger, Nelson, all get axed while the GMs get to spend years making terribles moves with no oversight or accounting for.

Eakins was a legit bad coach but the other 6 guys? Nope.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
McDavid set up most of those Drai serious scoring chances and rang one off the cross bar himself. No reason to throw in that little jab at McDavid to try and make Drai look good.

This. At the end of the day, team lost and also played horrible.

I guess the only positive was that Montoya got a mini shutout lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't worry guys, the Chia plan is on track! Only a few tweaks and we will be back in the playoffs next year!

We just need patience and let Chia make some more Chia-special trades. A few more visionary Hall for Larsson type trades and we're well on our way.

The problem is not enough Chia. We need moar Chia moves.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That wasn't a jab, get real. I don't critique McD. Just a weird game is all and Oilers were guilty of passing off chances a lot which happens when a goalie is hot.

If you don't think Drai was good in this game I don't know what you're watching.

Slepychev was really good tonight. Nice that he was out on the ice in the last minute which made sense.

Reactions: RegDunlop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
MAN I can’t believe how much we missed Nuge. He really has gelled with McDavid really well. McD didn’t look right all night. Not sure if it wasn’t just a coincidence or if he wasn’t missing Nuge

McDavid was definitely missing Nuge.

Not sure why but McDavid is far more willing to shoot the puck when he plays with Nuge.

McDavid's surge in scoring is coincident to his playing with Nuge.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If these coaches survive this season then nothing will ever change around this team.

Talbot was returning to form until Todd decided to play him in a back to back again. Numbers plummeted ever since.

0 for 5 on the PP. That's sad.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
McDavid was definitely missing Nuge.

Not sure why but McDavid is far more willing to shoot the puck when he plays with Nuge.

McDavid's surge in scoring is coincident to his playing with Nuge.

Maybe he respects Drai's shot more than Nuge's haha I honestly don't know but that's what I've noticed. He almost exclusively just passes with Drai even if he can take the shot; with Nuge, its 50/50

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe he respects Drai's shot more than Nuge's haha I honestly don't know but that's what I've noticed. He almost exclusively just passes with Drai even if he can take the shot; with Nuge, its 50/50

He's a smart enough kid to realize he's doing better with Nuge.

I don't get why he defers to Drai when they play together.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Flames might have had two scoring chances all game. None of those goals go in on a decent goalie. You could tell once again that Talbot was going to have a stinker of a game right away.

He should pray before or after the game, not during it.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Well instead of moving another winger up Todd puts Drai on his right wing, loves Rattie to his off wing and then the rest of the team is fumbling around with odd line combos too.

It was nonsensical. His top line winger was hurt so he moves up his only other top 6 center onto his top line? Baffling.

you know the old adage. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullchit.

Consider us all baffled. Todd wins.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
tbh I don't even know if Drai is a fighter or not. I don't mind if he decides to go at this point in the season but not sure if its really something he does. I don't remember any recent tilts. Will have to look that up.

I don't recall any Drai fights but I do recall JJ's interview about how he was taking less slashes to the back of the knees after his fight earlier this year. I think that was the point that was being made about why Drai should fight one of the cheap shot artists.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No McPoints. But we got McPosts, and a boatload of McChances. He was all over the ice today trying to will his team to victory. Unfortunately this team sucked ass as usual:

- Talbot is weak mentally. Can't stop 2 contested shots, and let's the juiciest of rebounds out on an easy shot. Theres been lots of nights where Talbot has looked bad but I couldn't place the entire blame on him because the defence was giving up grade A chances. Tonight it's all on him.

- Lucic pummels Smith and then bloodies Glass. He's still a really bad hockey player at this point in time but got damn is he tough out there. Glass's face before the fight said it all. No one wants to go with Lucic and for good reason. What a fight!

- Sekera should be no where near a power play. Does this moron ever look to see if there's a shot blocker before taking his 3 minutes to finally decide where to shoot the puck. The dude has ZERO awareness of where the shot block is. He seems to just shoot it and hope and pray no ones in front of him trying to block the shot. This has been going on for years with him, it's not a post injury thing in his game. He's just not a shooter and if the coaches were smart they'd have identified this in his game and taken him off the powerplay last year.

- Auvitu sucks. Always has and always will. He's not an NHLer, if our management can't indentify that were due for more shitty seasons like this one.

- Ethan Bear continues to be our best offensive Dman, when there's a shot he takes it and it's a rocket. It has the velocity and placement to create havoc around the net like we saw in the last minute. When he doesn't have a shot, he rips a bullet pass tape to tape to give someone else a chance to create. Now then watch Auvitu, Sekera, and Benning waste shot after shot after shot. Also, the fact that an AHL callup 5th rounder is our best offensive D pretty much tells the story of why this team sucks so bad. Our number 1 need is an offensive defencemen, at the very least I'm glad that management seems to have identified this (Nicholsons comments)

- Larsson is a rock out there 90% of nights. He was hassling Gaudraeu all night. More people should appreciate what he brings to this piss poor D lineup.

- Cammy still sucks. Nice to see a vet get some points though. He's had a nice career, time to hang em up.

- Also, it's way too early to say but I'm not worried that we lost out on Mr Spencer Foo. Skilled player but I don't see him working out at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad