Post-Game Talk: Flames 3 Oilers 2 - four losses in a row

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe it's because McDavid had developed some chemistry with RNH and, since he hadn't played with Drai in forever, they were a little off with their timing. It doesn't mean McDavid-Nuge is so much better than McDavid-Drai. In an ideal world, they're all better on their separate lines but we don't have the winger depth for that.

Drivesaitl may be a little biased towards Drai, but a certain group of people are the opposite: they only say negative things about him, disappear when he's playing well, or perceive an average game as a bad one. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but there are several of them here and it pisses me off.

When a poster routinely puts down every player on the team, including McDavid, in an attempt to make his favorite player look better...it pisses me off. Call a spade a spade. It looks like Drai has been putting in less effort in his all around game since being separated from Connor. He puts in the effort when there's a scoring chance, but other than that he's not

Reactions: TB12 and shoop

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Back to the game the Flames got just blasted after the gme for guys like Giordano walking away from an altercation while Smith and Lucic were at it. basically the only thing that saved Smith from getting a royal beating there were the officials. The telecast talked at length about the Flames not being a team and guys not having backs. On how ridiculous it was that a recently injured Smith was made to stand up alone against Lucic and without any Flame appreciably answering that bell.

Credit was given to Tanner Glass for volunteering for get Beat the **** up detail. Nobody else wanted any part of that. It was pretty interesting post game commentary.

Given Smith's makeup and past history, I have to wonder if part of the reason for how that all transpired is because Smith really isn't all that likeable of a guy, and if some of his teammates privately liked seeing him get roughed up a bit.

He's not exactly the best team guy when things aren't going great, and things are definitely not going great for Calgary these days (unless they're playing us, gah).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
When a poster routinely puts down every player on the team, including McDavid, in an attempt to make his favorite player look better...it pisses me off. Call a spade a spade. It looks like Drai has been putting in less effort in his all around game since being separated from Connor. He puts in the effort when there's a scoring chance, but other than that he's not

Been wondering if Drai just goes meh when he’s not with McD (or gasp pouts).

That said, he’s probably the 2nd most important player on this team and with his contract, got no choice but force him to drive a line.

My biggest gripe with Drai and it’s a peeve since last year is cut down on the no look back pass. He’s doing them far less which is good but they rarely work.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Point taken. But on the flip side, you can argue that people demean Drai at the expense of elevating other players, such as Nuge. So you can argue there's bias on BOTH sides.

For some odd reason, Drai has been targeted as this year's scapegoat for criticism. Not sure why - maybe the contract? It's not like he's that much worse this year. Notwithstanding the last few games, he's produced very similarly to last year, which, considering he's had less time with McDavid, the power play set up is garbage (Drai on the point, really?!?), and the concussion recovery period, is actually admirable. But nobody bothers to point that out. Regarding his arguably diminished play lately, where he looks sluggish to some eyes, maybe he's struggling through an injury and is man enough not to use that as an excuse? So for his efforts, he gets all the "slow", "lazy," "drunk," and "checked-out" comments night after night.

I understand bashing Talbot and Lucic because their play has dropped off considerably. But Draisaitl's hasn't, at least not that much. I'm not sure why, especially when it's garbage time, people are going after him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
For some odd reason, Drai has been targeted as this year's scapegoat for criticism. Not sure why - maybe the contract? It's not like he's that much worse this year. Notwithstanding the last few games, he's produced very similarly to last year, which, considering he's had less time with McDavid, the power play set up is garbage (Drai on the point, really?!?), and the concussion recovery period, is actually admirable. But nobody bothers to point that out. Regarding his arguably diminished play lately, where he looks sluggish to some eyes, maybe he's struggling through an injury and is man enough not to use that as an excuse? So for his efforts, he gets all the "slow", "lazy," "drunk," and "checked-out" comments night after night.

Drai has received criticism, but Looch and Talbot have suffered far more attacks. Not saying those criticisms aren't deserved for all three players, but I haven't seen anyone unduly targetting Drai.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Your trying real hard at this. Its fictitious. That's the only effort you get from me in your now serial attempts to get me to respond to your nonsense.

I'll give you occasional reinforcement but just to acknowledge your made up tripe.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Point taken. But on the flip side, you can argue that people demean Drai at the expense of elevating other players, such as Nuge. So you can argue there's bias on BOTH sides.

I understand bashing Talbot and Lucic because their play has dropped off considerably. But Draisaitl's hasn't, at least not that much. I'm not sure why, especially when it's garbage time, people are going after him.

Just so we're clarifying people actually get upset at me because I set rules on some players who I would rarely if ever criticize. The rule is that when a player has demonstrated their serious and consistent value to team that player is granted some licence and trust in appraisal.

The players on this team that have recently done that are; McD, Drai, Larsson, Nurse, Maroon, Talbot. I rarely if ever critique any of those players, its true, but because I realizing criticising fairly consistent great players is pointless. All of those players have shown and demonstrated considerable value to the team. They get my blessing, invariably. I tend to critique players not bringing it, or that don't have much to bring.

So that on any given day its far more likely that underperforming players like Klefbom, Pulju, Lucic get my negative focus.

Theres ample in the middle players that get my praise or criticism.

Just explaining this because nobody likes attempts to whitewash as the other poster has done (and just because he's bored)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Given Smith's makeup and past history, I have to wonder if part of the reason for how that all transpired is because Smith really isn't all that likeable of a guy, and if some of his teammates privately liked seeing him get roughed up a bit.

He's not exactly the best team guy when things aren't going great, and things are definitely not going great for Calgary these days (unless they're playing us, gah).

That would be a bigger indictment on the Flames considering that imo he's their MVP player. (Not Gaudreau)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don’t think Drai has been “ripped” apart aside from his lazy giveaways or blind passes. Lucic and Talbot have, and deservedly, received much more flack.

That said, Drai’s game does seem to raise the ire of others here more often than not when he’s playing away from McDavid.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The players on this team that have recently done that are; McD, Drai, Larsson, Nurse, Maroon, Talbot. I rarely if ever critique any of those players, its true, but because I realizing criticising fairly consistent great players is pointless. All of those players have shown and demonstrated considerable value to the team. They get my blessing, invariably. I tend to critique players not bringing it, or that don't have much to bring.

Do you really think Drai has been a 'fairly consistent great player' this season?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you really think Drai has been a 'fairly consistent great player' this season?

I word things carefully.

Pay attention to what I wrote and you quoted;

"Fairly consistent great player"

In that phrase "Fairly" of course is the modifier for the rest of the statement. Which renders it a different statement than hypothetically stating "Draisaitl is a consistent great player", with the latter not being the case yet. The meaning of my intended sentence would be maybe better described as;

"Draisaitl is a somewhat consistent great player." That's what I'm shooting for in meaning at least.

The player is still learning, still making mistakes, errors in judgement. Excellence takes time.

But I will state its not hard to find some really good things he's doing every game. Lots of them.

Theres few players on this club that you can point out 10 things they did in a game that were positive.

I tend to do that more with Draisaitl, than some others (I do it a lot with Talbot) because some players on this club are perhaps less understood.

Drai is not a player that is going to make you jump out of your seat often. But he's a player that can make a ton of astute quiet plays that often don't even get noticed. For instance yesterday him wining 5/5 faceoffs in the last minute all in offensive zone. Just one thing but its at least informative to mention it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I watch the games just like you do, unfortunately. Other than playing Lucic too much after the season was long gone and not giving Puljujarvi enough rope to hang a small town what would you do different? Start Montoya? Line match?

Is this a playoff team being held back by a **** coach in your eyes? Did you watch the games when Eakins was around? That’s a snotty response by you just because I have a different opinion.
First off i apologize for being snarky. The game put me in a bad mood.

I’ll agree that Chiarelli hasn’t given him an elite roster but it is what it is and with McDavid and Draisatl chewing up as much cap as they are it isn’t going to change much right away even if the GM is changed. That said, I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as their record indicates. Whoever is coaching this team needs to make the most of it and devise game plans to suit the strengths of the players he does have. There are coaches throughout the league doing this. Since you’re watching, can you honestly say Mclellan is doing this?

This team has the worst special teams in the league and with that includes a power play with a guy that’s about to win his second straight Art Ross Trophy. That falls on coaching.

He doesn’t line match. When do you see him ever try to get McDavid away from top matchups?

I could go on and on. I’ve posted several times on what I think his shortcomings are. Many others have too. Since you feel he’s worthy of defending, why don’t you tell me what you’re seeing him doing that’s worthy of keeping. Please don’t blame the roster because the roster is what it is and if he can’t get anything out of it then, IMO, that’s the biggest reason to fire him and get somebody who can.

Reactions: PulYou

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
McDavid was definitely missing Nuge.

Not sure why but McDavid is far more willing to shoot the puck when he plays with Nuge.

McDavid's surge in scoring is coincident to his playing with Nuge.
Maybe Draisatl is the alpha in that group and because of that McDavid wants to defer to him? It’s noticeable how McDavid’s game changes with him.

Reactions: frag2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe Draisatl is the alpha in that group and because of that McDavid wants to defer to him? It’s noticeable how McDavid’s game changes with him.

That could well be. McDavid has to become the alpha. It's in the best interest of the team for him to do so.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The point about star players fighting is a valid one. So is the other one, I don't think any one would suggest Drai turn into an enforcer.
Did you find out if he has ever fought? He's a big boy but that doesn't really mean much.
There is something to the idea of Draisatl destroying somebody in a fight. Just last week Khaira was saying that since he’s had a few fights nobody is slashing and crosschecking him anymore. Not that I think Draisatl can handle himself like Khaira but respect and earning it are real things.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That could well be. McDavid has to become the alpha. It's in the best interest of the team for him to do so.

I think he already is. He’s just so unassuming and so mellow of a character though, so he’s “okay” with deferring even if he’s the better option.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid was definitely missing Nuge.

Not sure why but McDavid is far more willing to shoot the puck when he plays with Nuge.

McDavid's surge in scoring is coincident to his playing with Nuge.

McDavid's surge in goal scoring began well before he started to play with Nuge.

From February 1st until he started playing with Nuge on March 10th:
18 games - 16 goals on 77 shots (4.27 shots per game)

McDavid with RNH on the same line:
11 games - 10 goals on 34 shots (3.09 shots per game)

They've been really good together absolutely. But McDavid's uptick in shooting and scoring began well before Nuge came back into the lineup.

There was way too much attention paid to the announcers mentioning "McDavid still doesn't have a shot tonight" every time he was on the ice. He rang one off the cross bar 5 minutes into the game and had a few shots blocked. It's a coincidence.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I'm pretty happy with Drai's play this year given his role, he's a 2nd line center sitting 35th in league scoring. He knows he could have been better but it's not like he's been a massive disappointment or anything. The one thing he needs to remove from his game is the dumb risky play... I'm seeing less of them as the season goes on but for the first 40 games he was good for a dangerous giveaway every 2 games or so.

433rd in the league in cost per point, don't know how much cred to put in that stat.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Calgary beat the Oilers on March 13th.

Then they go 0-7 and lose every one of those games by AT LEAST three goals.

Calgary beats the Oilers last night.

Fire McLellan tomorrow!

Wow, the genuine hatred for McLellan on here is unbelievable.:D

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think he already is. He’s just so unassuming and so mellow of a character though, so he’s “okay” with deferring even if he’s the better option.

Exactly. No one should be fooled by his quiet and unassuming behavior off the ice and during interviews. McDavid IS the alpha male of this team, and he knows it. He is a driven, passionate and intense individual when the whistle blows. He's had some success in the past, moving the puck to Drai on scoring situations, and Drai has shown an ability more than most to convert those, so it's not a surprise when that happens more when they're together. I'd still like to see him take the puck hard to the net even more, no matter who he's with.

Reactions: frag2

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Well instead of moving another winger up Todd puts Drai on his right wing, loves Rattie to his off wing and then the rest of the team is fumbling around with odd line combos too.

It was nonsensical. His top line winger was hurt so he moves up his only other top 6 center onto his top line? Baffling.
This post needs more attention , just baffling how pathetic Tmac line of thinking is makes the only change on the top line that would of killed the beasting chemistry it had going for last 9 games. He could of just put another LW up there instead he makes Rattie play on his off wing Weakens all 3 of the other lines. Fire this clown now he does not deserve the last 3 games

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
First off i apologize for being snarky. The game put me in a bad mood.

I’ll agree that Chiarelli hasn’t given him an elite roster but it is what it is and with McDavid and Draisatl chewing up as much cap as they are it isn’t going to change much right away even if the GM is changed. That said, I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as their record indicates. Whoever is coaching this team needs to make the most of it and devise game plans to suit the strengths of the players he does have. There are coaches throughout the league doing this. Since you’re watching, can you honestly say Mclellan is doing this?

This team has the worst special teams in the league and with that includes a power play with a guy that’s about to win his second straight Art Ross Trophy. That falls on coaching.

He doesn’t line match. When do you see him ever try to get McDavid away from top matchups?

I could go on and on. I’ve posted several times on what I think his shortcomings are. Many others have too. Since you feel he’s worthy of defending, why don’t you tell me what you’re seeing him doing that’s worthy of keeping. Please don’t blame the roster because the roster is what it is and if he can’t get anything out of it then, IMO, that’s the biggest reason to fire him and get somebody who can.

All good, people are on edge about this season and for good reason. To come out of the darkness after ten years and immediately head right back in does things to people. I'm not happy with this season either.

I'm for the coach staying because he proved he could get this team to play the game the right way (last year) and make the playoffs. MacT is the last coach for the Oilers that can make that claim. I'm 100% aboard on replacing the special teams coaches, if for no other reason than to have a new voice deliver the message. I'd also be fine with replacing the coach if we can get a better one (Hawks coach if he gets fired). I'm not for more Skype firings and AHL coach gongshows. I want proven track record with recent success and that's not easy to find.

I also think that Chia is way more to blame for this season than the coach is. I made those points in my previous post, he bet on things that didn't work out at all. I think the PP needs a weapon on the back end, teams can focus on McDavid, collapse and shut it down too easily. If you recall last year the PP sucked also until Letestu of all people created an option that teams had to give up.

Even with Chia I'd like the org to give him another year. He made his bed this year and will have to sleep in it however no one thought it would be this bad. The Oilers were thought of as contenders from everything I read at the start of the year. Everyone was wrong.

Finally, I'd like the organization to fix what i think the real problem is with this team, drafting and development. We can shuffle all the deck chairs we want in management and it wouldn't make any difference. This team is bad at drafting. If it's not bad at drafting then it's awful at developing. It's time for Katz to spend like a druken sailor to fix what has been the source of this team's problem going on 30 years. Look at the draft record of this team and tell me it's the coaches fault (any of them, except Eakins he was legit way over his head from day one). The only thing that kept the franchise afloat for so long was Sather's good trading (Lowe did ok except with the Comrie thing). That was almost 20 years ago, as soon as it dried up this team went straight into the crap and has never recovered.

Nashville's GM is considered the gold standard, why? I think it's because he drafts very well and either keeps the good player or trades that good player to get what he needs. In other words good drafting gives him currency. Nashville doesn't spend much money in free agency.

Basically, to summarize my thoughts i think the problems with this team are far larger than two guys that got here 3 years ago. I don't want quick fixes I want real change. Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad