Post-Game Talk: Flames 3 Oilers 2 - four losses in a row

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This got no mention on the board but Drai won 5/5 faceoffs in the last minute there. 5 offensive zone faceoffs, wins every one, Oilers get around 5 chances to score in last minute because of these won faceoffs.

Drai also hit a post in the period on a solid shot. Setup Larsson beautifully. Made an incredible pass across to Rattie and was Stoned on another one timer by Smith. Drai also only man back on a Flames 2 on 1 and breaks up the play and reverses puck the other way. Drai also on the PP in the third one hands a possession play at the blueline to keep the puck in with someone all over him. Through sheer bull he keeps the puck in and sustains the action.

All I heard in the GDT is how lousy, lazy, checked out draisaitl is.

Really disgusting comments. I don't know what some people are looking at. This is Drais 3rd period. Alone.

He has around 5 serious scoring chances in the game. Sometimes they don't go. McD had zero shots.

Yeh Drai was good tonight. He's good MOST nights. Still hate his contract though.

Reactions: oljimmy

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
This got no mention on the board but Drai won 5/5 faceoffs in the last minute there. 5 offensive zone faceoffs, wins every one, Oilers get around 5 chances to score in last minute because of these won faceoffs.

Drai also hit a post in the period on a solid shot. Setup Larsson beautifully. Made an incredible pass across to Rattie and was Stoned on another one timer by Smith. Drai also only man back on a Flames 2 on 1 and breaks up the play and reverses puck the other way. Drai also on the PP in the third one hands a possession play at the blueline to keep the puck in with someone all over him. Through sheer bull he keeps the puck in and sustains the action.

All I heard in the GDT is how lousy, lazy, checked out draisaitl is.

Really disgusting comments. I don't know what some people are looking at. This is Drais 3rd period. Alone.

He has around 5 serious scoring chances in the game. Sometimes they don't go. McD had zero shots.
You HAVE to take the rose coloured Draisaitl glasses off. I have seen you put down RNH and McDavid to make Draisaitl look better, which makes no sense at all. First off, Draisaitl had his head up his rear end the first 20 games of the season while RNH was the next best player to McDavid. Draisaitl has a lot of talent and physical gifts BUT, he is far from putting in 100% every game. He can show you spots in every game where he does good things, but his overall performance in a lot of games is very lackluster, he needs to fix that.
It was great he won those faceoffs at the end of the game, but he missed several good chances and that line was getting beat up badly on many shifts. He had a average game at best, and the line as a whole had a bad game.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We just need patience and let Chia make some more Chia-special trades. A few more visionary Hall for Larsson type trades and we're well on our way.

The problem is not enough Chia. We need moar Chia moves.
morecowbell.jpg

Reactions: Jamin

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't recall any Drai fights but I do recall JJ's interview about how he was taking less slashes to the back of the knees after his fight earlier this year. I think that was the point that was being made about why Drai should fight one of the cheap shot artists.

The difference though is obvious. You don't have players like McD, Sid, OV, Malkin, Kopitar, Drai fighting.

1) You risk hand injuries that are much more deleterious effects with players that have elite fine motor control and whose play benefits from it.

2) You risk concussion and other injury and players being harmed irrevocably (CTE trauma is real) and you have those players either hurt, or out of the lineup.

3) In a capped league you need these players on the ice and not in the penalty box.

Khaira is different of course because his knuckles and chin are not worth several million bucks. Same with players like Kassian, Maroon.

Iginla was more the exception but it was silly for him to be fighting as well. Note Calgary Flames, lol.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You HAVE to take the rose coloured Draisaitl glasses off. I have seen you put down RNH and McDavid to make Draisaitl look better, which makes no sense at all. First off, Draisaitl had his head up his rear end the first 20 games of the season while RNH was the next best player to McDavid. Draisaitl has a lot of talent and physical gifts BUT, he is far from putting in 100% every game. He can show you spots in every game where he does good things, but his overall performance in a lot of games is very lackluster, he needs to fix that.
It was great he won those faceoffs at the end of the game, but he missed several good chances and that line was getting beat up badly on many shifts. He had a average game at best, and the line as a whole had a bad game.

When I watch the player I remember he's still young, still learning. So that theres still some junk in his game. For instance that he goes for that cross ice pass a lot even when its a lower percentage play or when theres a chance of turnover. Needs to cut that shit out and better delineate risk/reward on plays. But the uncanny thing is how often he completes the tough passes. Ironically his passing success can actually create a tendency to go to that well too much. Often times, like McD, he shouldn't be passing off at all. That stuff comes. Drai has a good shot, good one timer, good in close moves. Scoring tool bag is there. McD has made a step more to scoring this season. Drai still needs to work on the area.

The things I know he has is the on ice vision, knowing where his team mates are, elite passing ability forehand or backhand, a good shot. But the most integral thing is his chess like approach to the game and his on ice thinking. Drai is best when he's not forcing plays but either speeding up or slowing the game down. Its not lazy when Drai is moving feet slower he's allowing a play to come. When he has the puck and isn't flying its because he's decided the quick strike rush isn't on. When he does recognize a quick strike possibility his turn on the dime recognition is as good as McD, just that Connors speed blows everybody out of the water. More and more Draisaitl is recognizing break out opportunity like Messier used to do. Similar to Mess he paces his game out there when he can because his play involves a lot of mileage, a lot of physicality, and some weight as well.

The most important point I can make is all the tools are there with Drai. We just wait for those to get used more and more and looking forward to next season and hopefully him not starting out concussed. I do think its probably unfair he gets so much criticism for a slow start. How many guys miss more than 4 games for a concussion? From reports it was his first major concussion and took awhile for him to feel right. I would never criticize anybodies play if I knew they were playing after a concussion.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Here's the funny thing.

McD and Drai execute around 5 two on ones yesterday against a Norris quality D...(humor) and including 3 of them while shorthanded and 2 of them on the same kill. A couple posts ensue, or Drai just failing to finish where he's on his backhand and the puck goes inches wide (try finishing a hot pass slot in on your back hand sometime) and the whole commentary instead of being impressed with players that work so well (and that are learning elite pk skills) is how much they blew up the chances when mostly it was Smith having a good game and some plays just not going in. On another night the same identical plays result in a couple of goals and everything is great.

Look at what the players produce, put together. The Oilers were much better than the Flames last night. Sometimes it doesn't go well in hockey.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
The difference though is obvious. You don't have players like McD, Sid, OV, Malkin, Kopitar, Drai fighting.

1) You risk hand injuries that are much more deleterious effects with players that have elite fine motor control and whose play benefits from it.

2) You risk concussion and other injury and players being harmed irrevocably (CTE trauma is real) and you have those players either hurt, or out of the lineup.

3) In a capped league you need these players on the ice and not in the penalty box.

Khaira is different of course because his knuckles and chin are not worth several million bucks. Same with players like Kassian, Maroon.

Iginla was more the exception but it was silly for him to be fighting as well. Note Calgary Flames, lol.

The point about star players fighting is a valid one. So is the other one, I don't think any one would suggest Drai turn into an enforcer.
Did you find out if he has ever fought? He's a big boy but that doesn't really mean much.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The point about star players fighting is a valid one. So is the other one, I don't think any one would suggest Drai turn into an enforcer.
Did you find out if he has ever fought? He's a big boy but that doesn't really mean much.

The only hit I'm getting is Darnell Nurse..;)

Man, theres a whole other kind of internet out there..

Its best called "crack" internet. Along with stories about that I got to read up on alien invaders, Venutians controlling the US election and Martian conspiracies..

But no, hockey fights.com has no record on Leon fighting. I do know he razzed his dad an awful lot about hockey and stuff. heh

jk Aside Leon doing what Leon is doing is fine. He's put a few people into the boards real hard. He's locked down opponents similar to how Khaira or Pak would punishing them back for hits. I like that he gives lumber if he gets it. Also like that he gets his stick up ala Ryan Smyth when he has to.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Back to the game the Flames got just blasted after the gme for guys like Giordano walking away from an altercation while Smith and Lucic were at it. basically the only thing that saved Smith from getting a royal beating there were the officials. The telecast talked at length about the Flames not being a team and guys not having backs. On how ridiculous it was that a recently injured Smith was made to stand up alone against Lucic and without any Flame appreciably answering that bell.

Credit was given to Tanner Glass for volunteering for get Beat the f*** up detail. Nobody else wanted any part of that. It was pretty interesting post game commentary.

Reactions: dawunderboy

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Back to the game the Flames got just blasted after the gme for guys like Giordano walking away from an altercation while Smith and Lucic were at it. basically the only thing that saved Smith from getting a royal beating there were the officials. The telecast talked at length about the Flames not being a team and guys not having backs. On how ridiculous it was that a recently injured Smith was made to stand up alone against Lucic and without any Flame appreciably answering that bell.

Credit was given to Tanner Glass for volunteering for get Beat the **** up detail. Nobody else wanted any part of that. It was pretty interesting post game commentary.

It gets better, Smith basically said the same things including how it's sad that Glass had to stand up because no one else would.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It gets better, Smith basically said the same things including how it's sad that Glass had to stand up because no one else would.

I don't think Smith is all too happy in Calgary the way he has ripped his teammates this season (the feeling could also be mutual) and I would laugh if he asked for a trade out of there once the season is done, leaving them in a goalie bind again.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Smith is all too happy in Calgary the way he has ripped his teammates this season (the feeling could also be mutual) and I would laugh if he asked for a trade out of there once the season is done, leaving them in a goalie bind again.
Since Smith has come back he's been dreadful unless he's playing us.

It's a good thing the Flames are out of a playoff spot because otherwise we would've given them two very big wins.

Reactions: McFuhryous

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Calgary made some nice shots and thew flames goalie stood on his head.

You dont need to look any further than the above.

And yes, if I were a Calgary fan I wouldnt be too happy that no Flames players through down when Lucic roughed up their goalie.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

It’s called being honest haha

I wish McD told the media how he really felt about our idiots

Reactions: McFuhryous

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Calgary beat the Oilers on March 13th.

Then they go 0-7 and lose every one of those games by AT LEAST three goals.

Calgary beats the Oilers last night.

Fire McLellan tomorrow!

Reactions: McBeastMode

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

The first 20 games he was also trying to overcome his concussion, which would explain, as you said, why he had his "head up his rear."

Regarding the missing chances thing, it seems like he's just snakebit right now, which is completely frustrating.

Nobody's putting down RNH or McDavid, who are also obviously great players. I think his point is that Draisaitl takes a heap of crap on these boards yet RNH gets a free pass despite having a much lower PPG than Drai, even considering RNH has had a quite a bit of time with McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A lot of people don't stop to consider that no matter how bad the Oilers franchise has been, the Flames organization is also inept and top heavy. Look at their draft record. Monahan and Tkachuk are top 5 picks but once you get past Johnny Hockey how many good picks have they had after the top 6 are gone?

Ditto for a long of line of coaches and GM's who weren't much better than what we have been stuck with. I'll give them credit for at least being to trade for better D-men than we have but again, it gets a little skinny after that. How many years did they give Troy as a FA? Too many I think.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yeah @Drivesaitl is starting to sound like one of those Omark fanboys that used to hang around here when he first joined the Oilers.

Once again Drai contributed nothing that actually mattered, yet he claims he was all world.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The first 20 games he was also trying to overcome his concussion, which would explain, as you said, why he had his "head up his rear."

Regarding the missing chances thing, it seems like he's just snakebit right now, which is completely frustrating.

Nobody's putting down RNH or McDavid, who are also obviously great players. I think his point is that Draisaitl takes a heap of crap on these boards yet when RNH gets a free pass yet having a much lower PPG than Drai, even considering RNH has had a quite a bit of time with McDavid.

RNH has had what, 6 or 7 games with McDavid? They were probably the best 6 or 7 games for both players and teammof the season. Not surprising that McDavid had an off night and his wingers couldn't produce anything last night.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
RNH has had what, 6 or 7 games with McDavid? They were probably the best 6 or 7 games for both players and teammof the season. Not surprising that McDavid had an off night and his wingers couldn't produce anything last night.

Maybe it's because McDavid had developed some chemistry with RNH and, since he hadn't played with Drai in forever, they were a little off with their timing. It doesn't mean McDavid-Nuge is so much better than McDavid-Drai. In an ideal world, they're all better on their separate lines but we don't have the winger depth for that.

Drivesaitl may be a little biased towards Drai, but a certain group of people are the opposite: they only say negative things about him, disappear when he's playing well, or perceive an average game as a bad one. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but there are several of them here and it pisses me off.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->