**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Future plans now that the 2013 Draft is complete

Now with the draft completed and the start of free agency starts on Friday what do you expect the Flames to be doing to make this team better. Below is what we have as a team all from nhlnumbers.com

Currently on Roster unless traded

Forwards

Sven Baertschi, L
Mike Cammalleri, C
Ben Hanowski, R
Roman Horak, L
Curtis Glencross, L
Jiri Hudler, C
Tim Jackman, R
Blair Jones, C
David Jones, R
Matt Stajan, C
Lee Stempniak, R

Defence

Mark Giordano, D
Shane O'Brien, D
Derek Smith, D
Dennis Wideman, D

Goalie

Miikka Kiprusoff, G (If he does not retire)
Joey McDonald, G

Acquired
Corban Knight

Acquired and Signed
TJ Gilliardi

Received Qualifying offer

Mikael Backlund
Carter Bancks
Lance Bouma
Paul Byron
Greg Nemisz

Defence (4):
Chris Breen
Chris Butler
TJ Brodie
Mark Cundari

Not received Qualifying offer

Akim Aliu
Bryan Cameron
Brady Lamb
Gaelan Patterson

Flames UFA

Steve Beign
Brian McGrattan

Inactive on the Flames Roster According to nhlnumbers.com

Forwards

Turner Elson, L
Michael Ferland, L
David Eddy, R
Ben Walter, C
Ryan Howse, L
Carter Bancks, L
Krys Kolanos, C
Ben Street, C
Mike Testwuide, R
Granlund, Markus, C

Defence

Clay Wilson, D
James Martin, D
Brett Carson, D
Tyler Wotherspoon, D
John Ramage, D

Goalies

Joni Ortio, G
Leland Irving, G
Danny Taylor, G
Laurent Brossoit, G
Reto Berra, G

Left for KHL
Roman Cervenka
Anton Babchuk

Expecting or hoping to Join the Flames
Karri Ramo G
Sean Monahan

I omitted some of the inactive players as some where given qualifying offers and some where not.

Using this what do you believe the Flames need to do this off season to have a chance to make the playoff next year. I know we will have a hard time to make the playoff but in the long run keep making us better going forward to become consistent playoff contender.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
I fail to see why this thread should be separate from the other offseason planning thread…

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
So using the info we already know, what can we do to make the playoffs? Well isn't that the million dollar question. :laugh: Let's ask Feaster.

Basically there's not much we can do. The only way this team makes the playoffs is if the team we have now, over-achieves. Ramo or Berra would have to come and play Vezina trophy winning hockey, Monahan would have to play Calder, and guys like Stajan, Cammy, Glencross will have to have career years, and guys like Baertschi and Backlund will have to break out significantly.

I think our biggest problem right now is defence. That top 4 is just simply not good enough to compete against teams top players. That's where our downfall probably will be.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
He plays in the top 6 now, so he's a top 6 guy. He's actually a TOP LINE player. I definitely agree on the not paying him 6-6.5 million, but that doesn't make him a 3rd liner.

I love the argument the "stat watcher" argument. Clearly if you care enough about the NHL to post here you've seen the boys play live. Give me a shred of evidence that he's a 3rd line player. He plays 18 minutes a night, 1st unit PP and top line duty. Granted, the Devils don't have the deepest forward roster in the league, but he's top 6 anywhere.

let me give you a run down of the Devils RW depth:

the one and only Tom Kostopoulos
David Clarkson
Steve Bernier
Ryan Carter
Cam Janssen

who would you have put in front of Clarkson?

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Using this what do you believe the Flames need to do this off season to have a chance to make the playoff next year.

In order to make the playoffs, we need a full 1st line, 1 top pairing D, defensive depth, and a proven starter.

How can we get that? We can't. I don't like to be negative but the playoffs next year are extremely unlikely.

Like CoRD says, we would need Baertschi and Monahan to be 1 and 2 in Calder votes, Backlund, Reinhart, Knight and Hanowski to reach their full potentials, Stemps, GlenX, Stajan, Cammy, Galiardi, Jones and Hudler to all have 20-40 goal seasons, Brodie to become a bon-a-fide top 2 Dman, and Ramo to become an elite Vezina esque goaltender.

Last edited:

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
Well I guess anything is possible. I was very suprised when the serverly injured Senators made the playoffs they did outstanding in the season without there stars.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I fail to see why this thread should be separate from the other offseason planning thread…

True but the offseason thread does not look at all the players we have only the players people know about. How many regular Flames fan know some of the names of the players that are on the inactive list that was on nhlnumbers.com. The offseason thread just has people saying we should add Briere. or Ribero or some big name person, but forget to mention some of the lesser known players that could help the Flames. So I created this thread to address that and if a moderator thinks this thread should be closed and keep all talk in the offseason thread then fine by me. You do not have to like this thread or comment if you think I am wasting my time making this thread. You can just post in the offseason thread if that is more convenient for you.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd like to see Calgary sign Blum on a single year deal, and one of Ballard or Gilbert on a two year deal.

Not too high on signing any forwards - I think it's high time Calgary introduce their own talent from their farm to fill in the slots. I understand that the Flames are still weak on the right side, but it's not like there are that many strong options in free agency aside from the likes of Jarome Iginla.

Not going to delve too much into trades, myself - what I'd like to see, Feaster isn't probably going to do, and what he does do tends to occur in a mediocre or poor fashion for anything significant.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I'm curious to see what a Bob Hartley training camp and full season look like, because at the end of the season it really seemed to be coming together, but we ran out of time. Guess all we can do is wait and speculate. GlenX for Captain.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
After reading this article in the Calgary Sun would you sign Ribero to a long term contract if Washington will not resign him. He could help with out #1 center line.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/02/mike-ribeiros-wife-pissed-beyond-belief-capitals-wont-sign-him

Most ppl want nothing to do with Ribeiro. And neither do I if he wants long term contract. He is 33 years old. I'd sign him for no more than a 2-3 year deal for $5M max. There's just no way he signs here for that. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd also like to see if Andreas Nodl can bring anything to the team, but he's not much more than a fringe 3rd liner, more of a fourth line energy guy. 6'11", 200lbs, right winger.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I'd also like to see if Andreas Nodl can bring anything to the team, but he's not much more than a fringe 3rd liner, more of a fourth line energy guy. 6'11", 200lbs, right winger.
post-31127-0-71930700-1355288892.png

Aug 3, 2010
So, why cheer for them?
He's not being overly negative. He's responding to the post above his.
It's difficult to imagine how the Flames would make the playoffs.

Other teams would have to basically play soft vs Calgary not expecting them to give much adversity therefore granting the Flames easy wins, plus have injury problems, and the like. Calgary's players would have to overperform on a nightly basis. It's not that the Flames are a terrible team but they certainly do not possess talented players that would suggest that they are in the top half of the Conference, let alone the League.

It's easy to come up with a smartassed answer such as "Oh we'll just trade for Crosby and Malkin" but the reality is that Calgary is unlikely to see the postseason for another 2 seasons minimum with the current level of talent devleopment that they have.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
He's not being overly negative. He's responding to the post above his.
It's difficult to imagine how the Flames would make the playoffs.

Other teams would have to basically play soft vs Calgary not expecting them to give much adversity therefore granting the Flames easy wins, plus have injury problems, and the like. Calgary's players would have to overperform on a nightly basis. It's not that the Flames are a terrible team but they certainly do not possess talented players that would suggest that they are in the top half of the Conference, let alone the League.

It's easy to come up with a smartassed answer such as "Oh we'll just trade for Crosby and Malkin" but the reality is that Calgary is unlikely to see the postseason for another 2 seasons minimum with the current level of talent devleopment that they have.

Look, I come in peace. I just get tired of hearing how the Flames are screwed before Free agency even starts. The core of the team is changing. The exciting part is seeing how the new core will develop, and how quickly. Leaders will emerge. It could take 10 years, they may make the playoffs this year.

The team that takes the ice could be a complete car wreck, or Monahan could make the team out of camp and he and Baertchi could have chemistry of Gretzky/Kurri proportions.

My point is, people on these boards seem to know what's going to happen, when the truth is nobody knows until it happens. It seems that it's fashionable to be as negative as possible. This process is a lot more enjoyable by anticipating the growth the team can make as opposed to putting down every conceivable move before its made. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just my two cents. That and a bus pass will get you on the subway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad