**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which could easily be construed as passion. Seems like the guy is genuinely upset at having been essentially kicked off the Leafs. Grabovski's always been a fire-y type of character.

And as it's been said, he's only saying this now that he's no longer employed with Toronto; before that, he sucked it up and did what was asked of him. For comparison's sake, O'Brien did nothing but whine and moan when Vigneault wouldn't give him regular ice-time or benched him because he didn't want to fight.
Yet reading the links you provided, it seems to me that O'Brien was more upset by AV airing his personal business in the media. Can't say I blame him either, AV was a db that would use the media as a tool to try and embarrass players. Much like when he spouted off to the media suggesting that Hodgson wasn't hurt as badly as he claimed.

Circumstances matter and unless the Leafs & Carlyle showed Grabovski some disrespect when he was bought out there was no need for that kind of reaction. Christ with his contract and performance he should have been expecting a buy out.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That kind of fire is great and would be great to add to the team. Not only did Grabo admit he under preformed and commented on how he needs to be better but he is livid he was bought out he will have a real fire to prove Toronto wrong for getting rid of him. Without his terrible contract he would be a great guy for us.

I would agree with this. Grabovski on a short term deal would definitely play like he had something to prove.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not the type to sit unhappy and say nothing then wait until there is no consequences to run my mouth.

Oh well he is KHL bound IMO.

He's damned if he says something right away (eg. Cammy) or he's damned if he waits until after. He stuck it out and tried to get Toronto into the playoffs and past the first round. Even given what he felt about Carlyle, he STILL wanted to he in Toronto, hoping to get better.

I think the guy has loads of class and was pissed about getting the boot, that's all it was.

I really hope the Flames can bring him on board, otherwise Bozak would be a good option too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's damned if he says something right away (eg. Cammy) or he's damned if he waits until after. He stuck it out and tried to get Toronto into the playoffs and past the first round. Even given what he felt about Carlyle, he STILL wanted to he in Toronto, hoping to get better.

I think the guy has loads of class and was pissed about getting the boot, that's all it was.

I really hope the Flames can bring him on board, otherwise Bozak would be a good option too
I don't really want any part of either player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's all good, when I read your initial post I was like "whoa, no way, i never knew he had that kind of offensive game maybe we should look into him", and then I looked him up and was dispointed haha.
Now you know how my fiancée feels :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yet reading the links you provided, it seems to me that O'Brien was more upset by AV airing his personal business in the media. Can't say I blame him either, AV was a db that would use the media as a tool to try and embarrass players. Much like when he spouted off to the media suggesting that Hodgson wasn't hurt as badly as he claimed.

Circumstances matter and unless the Leafs & Carlyle showed Grabovski some disrespect when he was bought out there was no need for that kind of reaction. Christ with his contract and performance he should have been expecting a buy out.

The complaints with regards to O'Brien not wanting to fight can be found here (seems like the original article is gone, but the majority of its contents can be found in the first post)

He had a pretty bad season, sure, but not only was it a shortened season, it was also the first year of a five year contract. With compliance buyouts still available next summer, the move seems hasty at the moment.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Wait your telling me you would rather him be okay with someone thinking he sucks? He is pissed because he signed that big contract and feels like he wasn't given a chance to justify it. Personally I love the fact that he got this mad at being bought out, it shows his passion and drive, it shows he wants to be good and feels he can be. Its not like he called a press conference and burned his leaf jersey.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait your telling me you would rather him be okay with someone thinking he sucks? He is pissed because he signed that big contract and feels like he wasn't given a chance to justify it. Personally I love the fact that he got this mad at being bought out, it shows his passion and drive, it shows he wants to be good and feels he can be. Its not like he called a press conference and burned his leaf jersey.
I would rather hear him speak out about playing time while under contract to the team. Say what you got to say and deal with the consequences. Don't wait until there is none.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would rather hear him speak out about playing time while under contract to the team. Say what you got to say and deal with the consequences. Don't wait until there is none.

I disagree, Stajan never complained and worked his ass off for another chance. If you complain to the media while under contract you are nothing but whiny but if they buy you out, you can say what ever you want. I just can't see what your trying to say.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I disagree, Stajan never complained and worked his ass off for another chance. If you complain to the media while under contract you are nothing but whiny but if they buy you out, you can say what ever you want. I just can't see what your trying to say.
Stajan acknowledged he was the whipping boy and was blasted by the fans.

We see it differently. Either way I want no part of Grabovski on the Flames.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
him holding in his frustration until he got bought out isnt a bad thing for me. i think it was a good thing that he waited before he started speaking his mind.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How would people feel about shopping Hudler?

I still feel he is a bit underwhelming due to his skating and consistency. I wouldn't want to just give him away like I wanted to with Tanguay, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was moved in a deal for a defenseman because I do believe with his Cup rings, overall production and his not too ridiculous contract that he could have some value.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How would people feel about shopping Hudler?

I still feel he is a bit underwhelming due to his skating and consistency. I wouldn't want to just give him away like I wanted to with Tanguay, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was moved in a deal for a defenseman because I do believe with his Cup rings, overall production and his not too ridiculous contract that he could have some value.

It depends on what we can sign tomorrow and what the rookies look like. I think he fits Hartley's system extremely well so unless it is a young top 4 defenseman I don't think I would try to move him as I think Stempniak and Cammy are better options for us to find older stop gaps at defense. Not to mention Hudler choose to sign here and moving him after a year wouldn't look that good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It depends on what we can sign tomorrow and what the rookies look like. I think he fits Hartley's system extremely well so unless it is a young top 4 defenseman I don't think I would try to move him as I think Stempniak and Cammy are better options for us to find older stop gaps at defense. Not to mention Hudler choose to sign here and moving him after a year wouldn't look that good.
You won't get a young top 4 defenseman unless it's a borderline one with limited upside like Butler.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I realize that so basically what I am saying is if a team overpays for him then yes if not I would keep him he has been great.
Maybe its some residual effects from never wanting him in the first place, but I didn't think he was that great. Started good but was pretty mediocre down the stretch.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Maybe its some residual effects from never wanting him in the first place, but I didn't think he was that great. Started good but was pretty mediocre down the stretch.

Yes he was better at the start but so was the entire team. I think we need to give him a full 82 games and real training camp before we see what we really have. But I will say I wish we would put him back with Stajan as they were on fire to start the year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes he was better at the start but so was the entire team. I think we need to give him a full 82 games and real training camp before we see what we really have. But I will say I wish we would put him back with Stajan as they were on fire to start the year.
I'm hoping they play with Jones this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad