**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not a fan if true. Too many wingers as it is.

Wouldn't mind Grabovski on a one or two year deal. Could role with Backlund-Grabovski-Stajan-Knight down the middle then.

I agree on both points. I highly expect some trades if we keep signing all these wingers.

Adding Grabovski would make our center depth at least look somewhat respectable.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not a fan if true. Too many wingers as it is.

Also, big, big pass on Bozak. Guy is terrible defensively, no better than, if not worse than Stajan offensively and wants a ~5M over 8 years. He'd be a buyout candidate next year if signed.

Wouldn't mind Grabovski on a one or two year deal however. Could role with Backlund-Grabovski-Stajan-Knight down the middle then. Surprising he was bought out; I guess the leafs have a centre lined up ready to sign tomorrow morning.

Agreed on mostly everything. Other than Bozak being terrible defensively. He's actually pretty good defensively, but I agree on the offense being comparable to Stajan. I actually just think he's a bigger Stajan with a little more in the faceoff department.

I like Grabovski too, just not at that cap hit. If he gets bought out or the Leafs will eat some of it, I'd take him and Stalberg, then call it a day for forwards.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
From the Qualifying offer thread on the trade board. These are the lists of guys that were not given qualifying offers and the list of guys who are not confirmed if they received one or not.

Of those listed there are a few I think are worth signing to a one year two-way deal to give them a chance to compete for a job. I have put them in bold, for now I am assuming all those who we have no word on yet will be qualified.

So that would be:
  • Jonathon Blum [RD] Age: 24 Ht: 6'1 Wt: 190
    • Why?: If he is unable to make the club he would be a significant asset for the Heat who are currently lacking in offensive/offensive puck moving defensemen, they also lack experience in their top 4.
  • Stefan Della Rovere [RW] Age: 23 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 200
    • Why?: This would be more or less a signing for teh Heat to give them some toughness, he migth not be big but he is physical and gets under the skin of the opponent, needs that desperately need to be addressed on Abbotsford, An AHL contract would be ideal of he is willing.
  • Keaton Ellerby [LD] Age: 24 Ht: 6'4 Wt: 220
    • Why?: Big, physical and mean. He is a younger version of SOB. He is only 1 of 2 in this group I would be willing to give a 1-way deal and the only I would consider giving a 2 year contract.
  • Zach Hamill [C] Age: 24 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 180
    • Why?: Former 8th overall pick in 2007, has shown he can produce at the AHL level. Low risk signing with potential to pay off.
  • Theo Peckham [LD] Age: 25 Ht: 6'2 Wt: 234
    • Why?: Like him or not he made it tough to play against, honestly I am a little surprised he never got a qualifying offer from the Oilers. At worst he would be a good veteran addition to the Heat who's defense corps is extremely inexperienced.
  • Jack Skille [RW] Age: 26 Ht: 6'1 Wt: 215
    • Why?: Former 7th overall pick in 2005, has shown he can produce in the AHL and can play a bottom 6 role in the NHL while producing moderately. Low risk signing with potential to pay off.
  • Yannick Weber [RD] Age: 24 Ht: 5'11 Wt: 193
    • Why?: Call me crazy but acquiring a 24 year old RH defenseman that recorded 30 points in in 60 games in the 2011-12 season. Then under the new coach in Montreal he just never got the chance to play as he only dressed for 6 games. At worst he brings a little excitement to what should be a pretty poor season. He is the other player I would be willing to risk a 1-way contract on if it came to it.

I agree with this list. I'd also add Michael Sauer [D] from NYR and Peter Mueller [R] from Florida.

Aug 3, 2010
If Calgary claims Grabovski, what's his hit?
Grabovski's going to be a UFA so it's not a matter of a reduced salary cap hit, it's a matter of whatever the hell Feaster is thinking of signing him to.

Aug 3, 2010
So he's just owed the 5.5 for this year, the he's a UFA?
Something like that, Toronto would be taking care of it once he passed through waivers / unconditional waivers. It's because he has a NTC that the path to becoming UFA via compliance buyout has an extra step.

No guarantee he makes it to UFA though, some other teams need to find players to hit the cap floor with.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would sign Grabo to a 2 year 7 million deal if we don't think Monahan is ready.

I think the players I want us to sign most are

Scuderi
Mueller
Weber (if we want a offensive defenseman)
Grabo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Grabo's comments after being bought out, I want him nowhere near the Flames. We don't have space for a primadonna baby that take responsibility for theur own crappy play.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Grabo stuck it out like a champ and is obviously very upset about being kicked out without anybody sitting down and talking to him first. I bet the Flames could land him with a NMC.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
With Grabo's comments after being bought out, I want him nowhere near the Flames. We don't have space for a primadonna baby that take responsibility for theur own crappy play.

Meh. O'Brien did pretty much the exact same while with the Canucks against Vigneault, as seen here and here.

And for what it's worth, Grabovski did say he had to play better and work harder.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What did he say?

"I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what's going to happen? He make me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again," Grabovski spewed. "Yeah, I don't score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don't feel any support from this [expletive] idiot."

TSN.

He's not wrong. Putting a player like Grabovski on the 3rd or 4th line is a waste. And it's not like he complained during the season; it's only after being bought out that he says how he felt.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
TSN.
He's not wrong. Putting a player like Grabovski on the 3rd or 4th line is a waste. And it's not like he complained during the season; it's only after being bought does he say how felt.

Everything he said is 100% true (reminds me of us using Stajan the same way). He kept his mouth shut until he was told he wouldn't be part of the team anymore.

Judging by how fired up he was I think he would be a great guy to sign he would love to prove Toronto wrong for buying him out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh. O'Brien did pretty much the exact same while with the Canucks against Vigneault, as seen here and here.

And for what it's worth, Grabovski did say he had to play better and work harder.
you don't see the difference between the 2? O'Brien spoke out about AV sure, but it wasn't a temper tantrum like we saw from Grabovski. That is a pathetic display from anyone claiming to be an adult.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
you don't see the difference between the 2? O'Brien spoke out about AV sure, but it wasn't a temper tantrum like we saw from Grabovski. That is a pathetic display from anyone claiming to be an adult.

:amazed:

Don't pretend like you've never been pissed off before and said things without you're best composure. The guy is only human

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:amazed:

Don't pretend like you've never been pissed off before and said things without you're best composure. The guy is only human
I'm not the type to sit unhappy and say nothing then wait until there is no consequences to run my mouth.

Oh well he is KHL bound IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Which could easily be construed as passion. Seems like the guy is genuinely upset at having been essentially kicked off the Leafs. Grabovski's always been a fire-y type of character.

And as it's been said, he's only saying this now that he's no longer employed with Toronto; before that, he sucked it up and did what was asked of him. For comparison's sake, O'Brien did nothing but whine and moan when Vigneault wouldn't give him regular ice-time or benched him because he didn't want to fight.

Trae

Calgary
Call me crazy but acquiring a 24 year old RH defenseman that recorded 30 points in in 60 games in the 2011-12 season. Then under the new coach in Montreal he just never got the chance to play as he only dressed for 6 games.

You misread your hockeydb research.

60 games, 4 goals, 18 points, -7, and 30 PIM

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

That kind of fire is great and would be great to add to the team. Not only did Grabo admit he under preformed and commented on how he needs to be better but he is livid he was bought out he will have a real fire to prove Toronto wrong for getting rid of him. Without his terrible contract he would be a great guy for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese