**Flames 2013 Off-Season Plan Thread Part 2**

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Are these guys ****ing crazy?
I understand the benefit of a Clarkson... But the hell. Making the money of top liners.
Bozak is just lol. I wouldn't have minded signing him, but defs not at that length.

What a great year to be a FA. I hope GM's don't go crazy and make 2nd liners worth 5 + million a season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

They were talking about second liners, not fourth. :sarcasm:

Honestly, some second liners are certainly worth $5.5M. Think about what Kesler (when he's playing well, which comes and goes) means to his team. Think about what Patrice Bergeron means to his team. Patrick Sharp? Honestly, if the best third-liners get 3.5 and the best first-liners get 7.5, 5.5 seems about right for the best second-liners. But for the second-rate second-liners mentioned, it's definitely a big price to pay for their services and can handcuff their team going forward.

By the way, I just noticed in that link that Hemsky is only 29. Holy cow, he's been playing like a 34-year-old who's lost interest in the game, but he should really have 5 more good years left.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we picked up Russell and Blum would anyone do Brodie, Gaudreau and conditional 2014/2015 1st for Seguin and a 2nd?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd like to see the Flames make a push for Ballard, Blum or Gilbert, as well as Riberio or Roy. The centre and defensive position is our biggest hole, with goaltending being completely unknown. I'd like to see:

Cammy - Roy - Jones
Baertchi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Bouma - Knight - Galliardi

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Ballard
Breen - Butler
Cundari - O'Brien

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If we picked up Russell and Blum would anyone do Brodie, Gaudreau and conditional 2014/2015 1st for Seguin and a 2nd?

Never, even if we picked up the best defenseman in free agency

Brodie, Gaudreau and a potential top 5 pick?!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There are very few players in the league whom we could trade for who would be more valuable than Brodie is to us right now.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
according to LeBrun..

Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen is headed into his first free agent season in the NHL and he already knows what he'll be looking for once the bell rings on July 5.

Kekalainen told the Columbus Dispatch that a scoring forward is definitely on his shopping list, but that they're more interested in skill over size.

“If you ask anybody, they'd take a 6-5 guy who scores 30 goals over a 5-8 guy who scores 30 goals,” Kekalainen told Aaron Portzline of the Dispatch. “But me personally, I prefer the small guys who play with big heart to the big guys who are less passionate.”

take Cammy for Ryan Johansen :3

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Don't know where to put this, so here

Flames new acquisitions:

large_upload.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As per Dreger, Clarkson is supposedly looking for 6-6.5M per. Bozak wants 8yrs and just under 5M per.

I think it would be best for the Flames just to stay clear of free agency entirely this year. Lot's of bit players seeking massive over payments.

Hey Cord, you read this? :laugh:

For the Flames to land him, it would be 7.

Horton will get the same, if not more. No way I risk a contract like that on a player with that kind of a injury history.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hey Cord, you read this? :laugh:

For the Flames to land him, it would be 7.

Horton will get the same, if not more. No way I risk a contract like that on a player with that kind of a injury history.

I like Clarkson at 4.5, but obviously it would take a lot more. I compare him to Glencross. Better offensively by a bit, but a bit worse defensively. Both bring a gritty game.

I'd steer clear of the bigger name guys too. I'd like a Ballard/Fistric type if the price is right. I'd love Stalberg if the price is right too. The last thing we need is another winger, but maybe someone could be moved? Man I hate that Hudler signing...

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
That's a dumb statement. He's top 30 in goal scoring over the past two seasons. How is that a 3rd liner? It's like saying Glencross is a 3rd liner because he was at one point.
clearly a stat watcher

Brian Boyle scored 21 goals a few years ago, did that make him a top 6 center all of the sudden?

yeah he hits and fights and scores a few goals here and there, but not someone you put in your top 6 OR pay 6-6.5M for.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Blum used to really impress me but hearing from NSH fans and with him not given a QO, I'd be wary of giving him anything beyond a 1 year to see if he can play.
Clarkson is terrible, very low 'hockey IQ'. Plus he'll be asking for the moon - and he'll get it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
clearly a stat watcher

Brian Boyle scored 21 goals a few years ago, did that make him a top 6 center all of the sudden?

yeah he hits and fights and scores a few goals here and there, but not someone you put in your top 6 OR pay 6-6.5M for.

He plays in the top 6 now, so he's a top 6 guy. He's actually a TOP LINE player. I definitely agree on the not paying him 6-6.5 million, but that doesn't make him a 3rd liner.

I love the argument the "stat watcher" argument. Clearly if you care enough about the NHL to post here you've seen the boys play live. Give me a shred of evidence that he's a 3rd line player. He plays 18 minutes a night, 1st unit PP and top line duty. Granted, the Devils don't have the deepest forward roster in the league, but he's top 6 anywhere.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Clarkson situation reminds me of Horcoff when Horc got his contract. Nobody but Oilers management believed Horcoff was a top line centremen who would score at a ppg pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad