OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
^ A whole lot of Broscience.
Diet (rather lifestyle change) is more proven to affect weight than any exercise. Some people don't digest red meat as efficiently as others and end up getting bloated despite being within proper calorie counts. Nutrition and health is definitely an individual thing that can't be studied without bias because not everyone is the same. You can take whatever scientific background you prefer as a starting point, but you still need to alter it to fit your results. When you repeat what the ab guy did exactly as he instructed and don't end up looking like him, you need to ask why that is (usually PEDs but there's other things). I'm not referring to dieting in the sense of restricting yourself to something like keto, but rather controlling what you eat more carefully.

BMR is also scientifically proven but understudied. Running destroying the knees of fat and tall people is also proven. I don't know any trainers who recommend heavy free weights for beginners.

I literally just finished a university nutrition course about six months ago. It's likely due to ethnic background and a few other things, but certain people digest certain foods at different rates, this isn't something gymbros made up. Some people break down proteins more easily, some people break down carbs slower. Some people absorb fat soluble vitamins at different rates so they legitimately get less from eating the same things as someone else.

It should also be noted that most historical science on exercise was done with white adult males and is not particularly credible as a result. The general rule is if something that requires large sample testing is more than 10 years old it is outdated.

I would also add don't trust the calories printed on labels of processed foods or takeout. Even in meat you can't 100% say the fat-to-meat ratio of a steak, so even people who weigh their food are going to be slightly off. This is one of several reasons why most bodybuilders stick with eggs and chicken breast; there is very little variance. The same goes for a complex carb like sweet potatoes, the flesh can be weighed for near exact counting.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Is cocaine nose a real thing? Can you guys tell if a celebrity or CEO or politician on TV has cocaine nose?

Reactions: Habs

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would also add don't trust the calories printed on labels of processed foods or takeout. Even in meat you can't 100% say the fat-to-meat ratio of a steak, so even people who weigh their food are going to be slightly off. This is one of several reasons why most bodybuilders stick with eggs and chicken breast; there is very little variance. The same goes for a complex carb like sweet potatoes, the flesh can be weighed for near exact counting.

That will matter a lot of you're one of those control freaks who wants to make statements such as "I ate 1,892 calories yesterday", i.e. 0.05% precision, completely absurd.

It's also the case that there's more to health than body composition. The central nervous system, for example, has different requirements, it benefits from fats.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Is cocaine nose a real thing? Can you guys tell if a celebrity or CEO or politician on TV has cocaine nose?

there are lots of signs from a coke nose. constant sniffing, drainage, they rub their nose a lot, the nose cavity can become collapsed and the nose goes flat on the bridge - Source, I lived through the 80's, Cocaine was everywhere and handed out like tic-tacs. I used to own a nightclub as well, it was unreal how much cocaine flowed

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
there are lots of signs from a coke nose. constant sniffing, drainage, they rub their nose a lot, the nose cavity can become collapsed and the nose goes flat on the bridge - Source, I lived through the 80's, Cocaine was everywhere and handed out like tic-tacs. I used to own a nightclub as well, it was unreal how much cocaine flowed
All fun and games until two nostrils become one.

Reactions: Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Me who hasnt been to BJJ in weeks now. Depression season is also the season where I focus deep on lifting, at least.

Atta boy.

I haven’t been able to do anything in almost two years. Long Covid followed by a frozen shoulder which I still haven’t recovered from.

Super sucks.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Short update. I’m currently at 178lbs, which is what I weighed a year ago (after dropping from 207lbs), but my body composition is way different. My legs and upper body in general have gotten larger and leaner. Still have some body fat around the mid section, but I’m slowly whittling away at it.

I track my calories, trying to stay at 2,500 to 2,700 calories daily, keeping my macros in check. My protein is typically around 200. My trainer basically has me on a maingaining, bordering on mini cut. We may try bulking in January depending how my body responds.

Currently on a Push/Pull/Legs and Upper/Lower split, so 5 days a week. Weekends are rest days, but i do a minimum 10,000 steps on Saturday and Sunday.

My goal is to compete in a bodybuilding show in 2025. I am going on a cruise in August 2024, so my trainer and I are going to treat that as a “show prep” (though I don’t want to drop below 10% body fat for vacation). Assuming it goes well, we’ll prep for real next year.

Kinda nuts when I look back as recently as December 2021 and I was overweight and could barely bench press two 25lb dumbbells.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Short update. I’m currently at 178lbs, which is what I weighed a year ago (after dropping from 207lbs), but my body composition is way different. My legs and upper body in general have gotten larger and leaner. Still have some body fat around the mid section, but I’m slowly whittling away at it.

I track my calories, trying to stay at 2,500 to 2,700 calories daily, keeping my macros in check. My protein is typically around 200. My trainer basically has me on a maingaining, bordering on mini cut. We may try bulking in January depending how my body responds.

Currently on a Push/Pull/Legs and Upper/Lower split, so 5 days a week. Weekends are rest days, but i do a minimum 10,000 steps on Saturday and Sunday.

My goal is to compete in a bodybuilding show in 2025. I am going on a cruise in August 2024, so my trainer and I are going to treat that as a “show prep” (though I don’t want to drop below 10% body fat for vacation). Assuming it goes well, we’ll prep for real next year.

Kinda nuts when I look back as recently as December 2021 and I was overweight and could barely bench press two 25lb dumbbells.
Thats actually so nice bro. What are you planning to compete in and where?

I kinda would like to do one too one of those days, especially to see where my muscle mass is after 15+ years of lifting pretty consistently. Im 235 right now and Id assume 7-8% at 205. Ive been pretty much nailing training and hitting like 60% on nutrition for a few weeks and Im feeling like an absolute stud. So nice to feel like this.

Reactions: overlords

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Let’s f***ing go

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nothing to do with fitness but I am pumped tonight. Successfully change element in my hot water tank and changed thermostat for my baseboard heat. First time I tackled it. Used YouTube videos. Almost as good as having instructor there with me

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My shoulder is still f***ed. Hoping to be able to start again in March.

Just finished an 84 hour fast. That was great for getting rid of the holiday bloat.

Reactions: overlords

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thats actually so nice bro. What are you planning to compete in and where?

I kinda would like to do one too one of those days, especially to see where my muscle mass is after 15+ years of lifting pretty consistently. Im 235 right now and Id assume 7-8% at 205. Ive been pretty much nailing training and hitting like 60% on nutrition for a few weeks and Im feeling like an absolute stud. So nice to feel like this.

Honestly, not sure. Im thinking physique but my trainer thinks bodybuilding and/or classic is within reach. It’s really a long ways off. I want to see how the first 8 months of this year goes.

In your case, you sound like you have a stronger foundation than me by a lot. Definitely sounds doable.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5