OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Great post. For me I would simplify the steps a bit from 5 pillars to 3 pillars as I don’t count sleep. Sleep is essential regardless of what phase your in, but cutting is this for me

1. Calories in vs Calories out (within 500 maintenance)
2. Strength training. At least 3 times per week.
3. Protein intake, roughly 1gram per lb.

I run a lot because I like it, but I don’t find it required to cut at all. Tbh I don’t find it helps much at all because I have a tendency to eat all those calories back.

I’ve been harping on zone 2 cardio for months/year here and agree it’s a great addition to a routine, but for me, doesn’t add much benefit to my cut. I just get hungrier and eat those calories back and then some lol. It is good for allowing me to indulge in some good foods that I like while staying within 500 of maintenance, but absolutely not needed to cut imo.

Basically agree. I did a lot of Stairmaster in May and man, I was super hungry during that time. If I understood you correctly, I think I’m aligned with you in terms of cardio. It’s not the driver for fat loss but it’s useful to give me a little allowance in case I do miss the calorie goal. I tried not to eat those calories back like I said, but if I do, I know I have at least 1/3 of what I burned. I say it this was because if my watch says I burned 700, I really count it like maybe 300-400 since these aren’t 100%.

I mostly do cardio for my heart and general mental health. The walking outdoors (I don’t run as it bothers my knees) lets me clear my head and when on the treadmill, that’s more my exercise. Plus for me, walking doesn’t make me a lot hungrier as well.

I mean, end of the day, it’s about the calories, movement (NEAT, exercise) and nutrition (sufficient macros and micros). Agree sleep is a given, though I do think it deserves consideration if you have specific training goals also.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Basically agree. I did a lot of Stairmaster in May and man, I was super hungry during that time. If I understood you correctly, I think I’m aligned with you in terms of cardio. It’s not the driver for fat loss but it’s useful to give me a little allowance in case I do miss the calorie goal. I tried not to eat those calories back like I said, but if I do, I know I have at least 1/3 of what I burned. I say it this was because if my watch says I burned 700, I really count it like maybe 300-400 since these aren’t 100%.

I mostly do cardio for my heart and general mental health. The walking outdoors (I don’t run as it bothers my knees) lets me clear my head and when on the treadmill, that’s more my exercise. Plus for me, walking doesn’t make me a lot hungrier as well.

I mean, end of the day, it’s about the calories, movement (NEAT, exercise) and nutrition (sufficient macros and micros). Agree sleep is a given, though I do think it deserves consideration if you have specific training goals also.
I think we’re 100% aligned here. Right down to the knees. My knee has been bothering me for 14-15 weeks. I haven’t been consistent with my zone 2 training lately because of it and boy do I miss it.

Strangely I hurt it doing something else. I was doing hill sprints the day before. I didn’t feel anything during, but the next day it was terrible and it has been varying levels of discomfort since.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
If Ozempic has stopped giving you results, would you reconsider that gastric bypass surgery you mentioned? You called it 'cheating', but how is it different than skinny people who benefit from their genetics? That's a kind of cheating. They did nothing to earn their advantage, so why should you turn down a procedure that could help level the playing field?

Nobody wants surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, but based on your post from two months ago, you should do whatever gives you back your quality of life.
I'm not quite there yet but I guess it's inevitable that at some point, Ozempic won't be effective anymore and I won't be allowed a bigger dose.

At the moment I'm just getting back at it. I had let loose for a while because of a very stressful winter and spring but I think I do have some fuel left in the tank to do better. This morning I weighed in at 313lb, which I still consider the same weight as my plateau (315) but it's also the first time in weeks that I'm under 315, so that's cool.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Doesn't the gastric bypass surgery come with a lot of complications?
Potentially, yeah. But there are many benefits including, most of all, a higher quality of life. That said, when it comes to medical procedures I'm totally unqualified to offer anything beyond moral support. @knuck sounded like he was in a dark place; I hope he makes an informed choice that bring him happiness.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Potentially, yeah. But there are many benefits including, most of all, a higher quality of life. That said, when it comes to medical procedures I'm totally unqualified to offer anything beyond moral support. @knuck sounded like he was in a dark place; I hope he makes an informed choice that bring him happiness.
i appreciate your concern! I'm miles better now than I was at the begining of the story I told in my big post

thanks

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Trying out a new homemade sports drink for my workouts.

I'm mixing freshly juiced mangos and oranges, coconut water and HONEY. Can't wait lmao

Reactions: Mrb1p

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Wondering, for the runners here. Daily training easy runs and for long runs do you where the same shoe? Do you prefer firmness over softness for long runs or vice versa. For me, I’ve been running for awhile and I am still trying to figure it out.

I like the feel of a soft shoe when I’m just standing there, but when I’m running 8-10miles I much prefer a firmer, more responsive shoe. I feel like the softer shoe is hurting my knee.

I’ve been doing my long runs in a new balance 1080v12 show which is very soft and plush. I have recently switched to Saucony Ride for my long runs and I think I like it better even though it’s firmer. I think the softer shoe might be better for 5-8km easy runs although they are marketed as a high mileage training shoe? Intuitively you might think the softer, the better, but in practice, it just isn’t true imo.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Wondering, for the runners here. Daily training easy runs and for long runs do you where the same shoe? Do you prefer firmness over softness for long runs or vice versa. For me, I’ve been running for awhile and I am still trying to figure it out.

I like the feel of a soft shoe when I’m just standing there, but when I’m running 8-10miles I much prefer a firmer, more responsive shoe. I feel like the softer shoe is hurting my knee.

I’ve been doing my long runs in a new balance 1080v12 show which is very soft and plush. I have recently switched to Saucony Ride for my long runs and I think I like it better even though it’s firmer. I think the softer shoe might be better for 5-8km easy runs although they are marketed as a high mileage training shoe? Intuitively you might think the softer, the better, but in practice, it just isn’t true imo.

Might be more help there.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
So my training is pretty much wearing a weight vest while doing one handed farmer walk for about 15 minutes in each hands. I keep the 20lbs weight vest for at least 3h. The following day I do a 1000 punchs with 5lbs weights in each hands (4x250, directs, hooks, uppercuts).

I take a day off then. And start again.

I do it at home as I work from home. It's not for muscle growth it's really for fonctional strength and overall athleticism. I'm 43 and it works perfectly for me and is very easy to keep doing it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So my training is pretty much wearing a weight vest while doing one handed farmer walk for about 15 minutes in each hands. I keep the 20lbs weight vest for at least 3h. The following day I do a 1000 punchs with 5lbs weights in each hands (4x250, directs, hooks, uppercuts).

I take a day off then. And start again.

I do it at home as I work from home. It's not for muscle growth it's really for fonctional strength and overall athleticism. I'm 43 and it works perfectly for me and is very easy to keep doing it.
Real anime shit, keep going. Make sure you train every plane of movement if its gor fonctional strength.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I’m hearing good things about the Hoka brand (better to try from a store before ordering online). When I jog, I tend to look for softer surfaces like grass, dirt track/ gravel so as to give me a buffer to ward off joint damage in the long run. I was a huge NB fan until a model redesign from 3 years ago threw me off but luckily found the same running shoe comfort in Brooks and have been only using the latter brand in the last 3 years.

Keep up the great work.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This guy’s advice goes against what most trainers advocate in terms of weight loss. Does he have a point?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This guy’s advice goes against what most trainers advocate in terms of weight loss. Does he have a point?

I'm always suspicious of someone promoting 'Better results with less effort!'. People love anything that promises 'easy', so naturally they want this guy to be right.

He also calls out 'mainstream exercise advice', which sounds like cheap social media marketing. I haven't read it. There very well may be kernels of fact in what he's saying, but on the surface this looks like pure self-promotion.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I'm always suspicious of someone promoting 'Better results with less effort!'. People love anything that promises 'easy', so naturally they want this guy to be right.

He also calls out 'mainstream exercise advice', which sounds like cheap social media marketing. I haven't read it. There very well may be kernels of fact in what he's saying, but on the surface this looks like pure self-promotion.
Mainstream exercise is pretty bogus tho. Way too general.

And sometimes less really is more. 5x5 for example - you do it 3x/week, only 3 exercises a day and it will do wonders for building mass and strength.

Another example - here's a guy that does only calisthenics. His name is K Boges on youtube. He only does 15min of it per day! Two upper body and one lower body exercise per day. I tried this routine when I was injured back in summer and couldn't powerlift, and I saw some good results.

I think the most important thing is consistency. Lots of different routines and training styles all have their pros and cons, but most will provide good results as long as you stick to it

And diet too is huge of course. But in regards to weight loss maybe none of this applies. Never had to lose weight - was always the opposite for me. But I have lots of friends that are always trying to lose weight and it does sound very challenging

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Mainstream exercise is pretty bogus tho. Way too general.

And sometimes less really is more. 5x5 for example - you do it 3x/week, only 3 exercises a day and it will do wonders for building mass and strength.

Another example - here's a guy that does only calisthenics. His name is K Boges on youtube. He only does 15min of it per day! Two upper body and one lower body exercise per day. I tried this routine when I was injured back in summer and couldn't powerlift, and I saw some good results.

I think the most important thing is consistency. Lots of different routines and training styles all have their pros and cons, but most will provide good results as long as you stick to it

And diet too is huge of course. But in regards to weight loss maybe none of this applies. Never had to lose weight - was always the opposite for me. But I have lots of friends that are always trying to lose weight and it does sound very challenging

My complaint had more to do with the way this guy markets himself than his actual content (which I haven't even read).

You're right – there's an optimal number of minutes/reps/weight, beyond which we damage our body instead of strengthening it. Maybe this guy is really onto something, but his messaging is a turn-off for me. It sounds like another 'easy weight loss' gimmick.

I'm in the same boat as you – weight has never been an issue. But I know that diet is probably the single most important part of maintaining a healthy weight. And the components and regimen behind a healthy diet are too boring and longterm for people who are looking for 'easy' and 'fast'.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I agree with you, but then, I think that these "good results less efforts" could help with getting people at least to move and do something, which will always be better than nothing. Too many people think "I don't have time to workout 60 minutes 3-4 times a week!".

Reactions: Runner77 and Lshap

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I replaced Coke Zero by Bubly and did away with aspartame, otherwise liking his takes:

The 6 exercises from item 3 on his list:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They biggest strength tip is stick with exercises that fit your body type. If you're 6'10 or 500 pounds you're not going to be a runner. Likewise, doing these things will not make you look like professionals in those fields. It's also easier to stick with cable machines when you aren't good at keeping form. Improper form lifting is not only useless, it risks injury. Also keep in mind that everyone has a different baseline. Some people burn fat or retain low body fat % easier than others. So don't watch someone on tiktok with a 10 pack and think that's achievable (also because 99% of those influencers are juicing).

Diet is definitely more important though. I was working as a mover and losing weight but still had belly fat. I started going to the gym on top of that every morning before work and got pretty large arms, a toned back, and broader shoulders, but still had belly fat. I then cut out sugar and got to the lowest weight of my adult life and was the strongest I'd ever been on top of it. Now I can do zero exercise and only diet and lose weight. Exercise is important but diet is literally what builds your body. Eat shit = look like shit and feel like shit. I can say that as someone who went from 230 to 170 to 220 to 180 to 220 to 185 over the course of 6 years. Diet is the only thing that ever got me down to those lows. Now I have too much muscle to get back down to 170 but I'm getting back into dieting again so I can live longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad