OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While true that our bodies make most of our own cholesterol, the smart money says dietary cholesterol hurts those with existing cholesterol issues. Eggs are the typical example. Everybody has a different opinion and there's no corroboration – eggs are fine/eggs elevate your cholesterol/eat one a day/eat two a week/eat what you want. Take your pick.

I love eggs, but I limit them to 5-6 a week. I remember you saying you ate about 15 a week. In my case, I have slightly higher LDL but excellent HDL. The benefits of running. So my total number is good. Just have to keep exercising into my 60s and 70s!

Studies have never actually proved anything but hyper and hypo sensibilities, and thats a very very low number of people.

And I eat 3 whole a day and 200g of egg white a day. Eggs are, IMO, the best protein source in the world.

Quote:
In mice deficient in Apolipoprotein E, animals fed either a control diet (AIN-93) or a diet containing 0.2 g cholesterol or 0.2 g oxysterol, showed an increase in liver and serum levels but the dietary cholesterol did not promote atherosclerosis and did not significantly accumulate in the aorta [46].

Reference: Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Just don't forget guys to follow the food guide. Please ignore any conflict of interest to the dairy and grain industries sponsoring this.

cfg_history_1982_two_small.gif

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Most places I've seen all talk about calorie deficit and eat protein.

Protein is good for you and it helps make you feel full.

I've also seen some places state that the majority of your weight loss will come from your basic, everyday movements called NEAT, Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

A lot of people go cold turkey when they want to be healthy and from what I've seen that might be the worst thing to do. While I've only been back at this stage for a little over a month, but had a different approach before and fell off the bandwagon.

Let's say you like chips. I'm sure we've all done it where you're like "I'll have a few, enjoy this show and call it quits." Then you search and by the time you're ready to watch something, the bag is gone and you're a little impressed and a little ashamed of yourself.

What I do is, just take a handful, put it on a plate with some cheese, vegetables, some light ranch and there we go.

If you're like me and loved pop a little too much, I wouldn't cut it out right away. Transition. Try to take whatever pop you like and transition to a sugar free type.

Let's say you drink 4 pop a day. Honestly, go from regular to sugar free and drink 4 a day after a bit, you determine the timeline, drop it down to 3. 1 with breakfast, lunch and supper, or lunch, supper and as a snack. After a bit of time, drop that down to 2 and then 1.

As MrB1p said up above, egg whites are great. They're a little expensive compared to just eggs. For a thing of egg whites it's like 8 bucks, but I just do a little at a time and it usually last me 2 +weeks, so it's not that bad.

If you don't really notice the taste, just change your mayonnaise, ranch, etc to the light stuff. You'll still get that dipping sauce to help down your vegetables as they can be plain and not the best tasting, but not be adding a bunch of calories.

There's tons and tons of homemade foods you can do that mimic popular items, like a spicy McCracken sandwich that has a fair amount less calories and more protein. Same with milkshakes.

Protein shakes come in so many different flavours.

If you're like 2, 3 weeks into the new you diet, or whatever and your friends, or family say they want to go to McDonalds, go. If you normally get a big Mac, poutine, Pepsi and some nuggest on the side, try to leave the nuggest out, or get them and eat some, save some for later.

Try to walk. A lot of places have 10,000 steps a day as a goal, but f*** it if you can only do 2,000 a day, do 2,000. Hit that number consistently and if you're feeling tired from 2k steps do it for, let's say a month. If you notice you're not as tired add another 100 steps, or 500 steps. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you live in a nice area and bike, do that. Just get outside and move. The fresh air is always great and that extra activity will help lose weight, too.

I'd recommend not weighing yourself everyday. Maybe once a week, or every 2 weeks. Your body weight will fluctuate and that may discourage you. Today you may be, let's say 250lbs. You eat really healthy, go for a nice walk and drop to 248lbs. Do the same and now, for some reason you're 251lbs. Those who are personal trainers can explain why that happens, but it does.

If you're looking for people to follow, just ignore anyone who tries to sell you their own shit like it's some magical weightloss mixture that they discovered. It's just the same bs with a marked up price. Hell, it might even be worse for you than other places.

Anyone standing in a grocery store reading off a label to tell you something is extremely hazardous is probably a f***ing tool who's trying to sell you some bs and you should just mock that person.

Drink water. I've asked a few people I know who are in good shape and dven do power lifting competitions and said having stuff like mio, or the cheaper shit that I buy is alright. Pour some in to give your water flavour and go.

Sorry that's all over the place, but it's just off the top of my head from what I remember that has made this journey seem much more easier than last time.

Sometimes you get heavier than you want because you are being lazy, or there's just not enough time in the day and you're busy with everything else, or maybe you have a genetic dispositions towards this. Doing smaller things will help keep that down.

Me, personally, I grew up in a family that didn't have much money, so take-out was usually reserved for birthdays only and very rare occasions. Once I got older, got a job and had money I'd order take-out waaaay too often. The truly bad part was because I didn't get it often, I wouldn't throw anything out. Viewed it as just a waste and wouldn't keep stuff to heat up later, so I'd pretty much force myself to eat it.

If you're looking to start your journey maybe that helped, maybe it didn't and you're more confused than ever.

Need reviews/suggestions

Quest Chips - are they any good ?

Good protein bar that's available at Costco, wal-mart, No Frills, or Metro. I guess if it's in Ottawa I could drive to it and find it, if there's one at another store.

Any must haves from Costco ? I think the wife wants to do a run there before school starts again.

One last tidbit. I bought some nosy weights. So, they're weights you can attach to you. I got 4 ankle/wrist weights. When I play video games I make sure to have the wrist weights on. Just holding the controller you feel the burn and takes a bit more effort to keep the controller up while you play.

When I do household chores, like vacuum, clean, etc I'll put all 4 on. I just got a weighted vest that I might add to my walks and/or things around the house.

That's me, though and I have no idea if that's a legitimate way to go, but I can't see it being bad.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Catching up with this thread after a lonnnng time, I wanted you to know I read every word of what you went through. I hope you check in and let us know how you're doing.

hey, thanks for reading. I can't believe I wrote this two months ago... time sure flies.

Not much has changed over the last two months. I have definitely plateaued and my doctor, whom I saw last week, said I've lost less weight than I should have according to the stats. She increased my dose 50% to 1.5mg and so far so good I guess.

Overall I still feel quite good physically and meh mentally. It's strange how despite not having lost any weight in what is now months, I still feel "light" on my feet. When I see my reflection in a public place however I always feel like shit because I always seem to take 25 times the amount of space anyone else takes.

I may be forced to stop soon though as I must take some tests to see if I have galstones. If I do, I think it's game over (for ozempic). I'm not sure yet

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
And drink f***ing pepsi zero guys, come on. Its a blessing
I used to love soda but cut it out 20 years ago because of how bad it is for you. I avoided diet drinks for a long time because aspartame tastes like toothpaste to me. But the newer "zero" drinks with that other sweetener taste exactly like the regular soda to me, truly is the best.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I used to love soda but cut it out 20 years ago because of how bad it is for you. I avoided diet drinks for a long time because aspartame tastes like toothpaste to me. But the newer "zero" drinks with that other sweetener taste exactly like the regular soda to me, truly is the best.

It tastes exactly the same because you haven't had a regular one in 20 years. They taste nothing like the regular stuff. In fact I think they taste almost identical to the diet version

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As I get older the injuries and how long they take to recover have been a big reality check for me. I have never been careful, always went 100%, never did warm ups, never did stretching, etc.. and even if I did get hurt, I'd be fine the next day and that was that.

In the past few years it's been getting harder and harder to recover and most recently it took me 8 months to get over double achillies tendonitis. I went to doctors, physio, etc.. and they all said, you just need to wait for it to get better, there's nothing you can do, stretching will help you feel better but it will take a long time to heal. That was really hard to accept and I was in denial about it for some time, to a point where my doctor told me to stop or else I'd need surgery and I would literally never be the same. I had a similar reaction when I sprained my AC joint and it took 6 weeks to heal, including some time with my arm in a sling.

I know it sounds stupid but my brain is weird, I struggle with the concept of taking it easy. My wife keeps telling me that I don't need to go out and destroy myself every time I work out or play sports. If my knees hurt I can just go take a walk instead of trying to run a 5k and be in pain. But the way my mind works, if I can't do my full workout, then I might as well do nothing. Lately I have to keep telling myself it's better to do something rather than nothing, that it's better to do something easy and not hurt myself, versus trying to push myself, getting hurt, and then doing nothing for weeks.
I retired from my baseball team. :)

The frozen shoulder happened spontaneously. I had one after ankle surgery years back. Unfortunately in 20 percent of people it recurs within five years on the other shoulder and that’s what happened. Suuuuucks.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Studies have never actually proved anything but hyper and hypo sensibilities, and thats a very very low number of people.

And I eat 3 whole a day and 200g of egg white a day. Eggs are, IMO, the best protein source in the world.

Quote:
In mice deficient in Apolipoprotein E, animals fed either a control diet (AIN-93) or a diet containing 0.2 g cholesterol or 0.2 g oxysterol, showed an increase in liver and serum levels but the dietary cholesterol did not promote atherosclerosis and did not significantly accumulate in the aorta [46].

Reference: Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease
I eat 30 eggs a week. Cholesterol is perfect. Egg whites alone is just stupid imo, you are throwing out the best and most nutritious part of the egg.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It tastes exactly the same because you haven't had a regular one in 20 years. They taste nothing like the regular stuff. In fact I think they taste almost identical to the diet version
I disagree, Coke Zero is pretty damn close to coke, much closer to coke than Diet Coke. Diet Coke isn’t even tolerable. It taste like that old pop “Tab” it was called, completely disgusting.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Egg whites alone is just stupid imo, you are throwing out the best and most nutritious part of the egg.
Yes that too.

It's also disturbingly wasteful.

I disagree, Coke Zero is pretty damn close to coke, much closer to coke than Diet Coke. Diet Coke isn’t even tolerable. It taste like that old pop “Tab” it was called, completely disgusting.
Stay away from artificial sweeteners, imo.

I will sh they'd make a Coke Half, as in half the sugar same everything else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I've also seen some places state that the majority of your weight loss will come from your basic, everyday movements called NEAT, Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

A lot of people go cold turkey when they want to be healthy and from what I've seen that might be the worst thing to do. While I've only been back at this stage for a little over a month, but had a different approach before and fell off the bandwagon.

Let's say you like chips. I'm sure we've all done it where you're like "I'll have a few, enjoy this show and call it quits." Then you search and by the time you're ready to watch something, the bag is gone and you're a little impressed and a little ashamed of yourself.

What I do is, just take a handful, put it on a plate with some cheese, vegetables, some light ranch and there we go.

If you're like me and loved pop a little too much, I wouldn't cut it out right away. Transition. Try to take whatever pop you like and transition to a sugar free type.

Let's say you drink 4 pop a day. Honestly, go from regular to sugar free and drink 4 a day after a bit, you determine the timeline, drop it down to 3. 1 with breakfast, lunch and supper, or lunch, supper and as a snack. After a bit of time, drop that down to 2 and then 1.

As MrB1p said up above, egg whites are great. They're a little expensive compared to just eggs. For a thing of egg whites it's like 8 bucks, but I just do a little at a time and it usually last me 2 +weeks, so it's not that bad.

If you don't really notice the taste, just change your mayonnaise, ranch, etc to the light stuff. You'll still get that dipping sauce to help down your vegetables as they can be plain and not the best tasting, but not be adding a bunch of calories.

There's tons and tons of homemade foods you can do that mimic popular items, like a spicy McCracken sandwich that has a fair amount less calories and more protein. Same with milkshakes.

If you're like 2, 3 weeks into the new you diet, or whatever and your friends, or family say they want to go to McDonalds, go. If you normally get a big Mac, poutine, Pepsi and some nuggest on the side, try to leave the nuggest out, or get them and eat some, save some for later.

Try to walk. A lot of places have 10,000 steps a day as a goal, but f*** it if you can only do 2,000 a day, do 2,000. Hit that number consistently and if you're feeling tired from 2k steps do it for, let's say a month. If you notice you're not as tired add another 100 steps, or 500 steps. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you live in a nice area and bike, do that. Just get outside and move. The fresh air is always great and that extra activity will help lose weight, too.

I'd recommend not weighing yourself everyday. Maybe once a week, or every 2 weeks. Your body weight will fluctuate and that may discourage you. Today you may be, let's say 250lbs. You eat really healthy, go for a nice walk and drop to 248lbs. Do the same and now, for some reason you're 251lbs. Those who are personal trainers can explain why that happens, but it does.

If you're looking for people to follow, just ignore anyone who tries to sell you their own shit like it's some magical weightloss mixture that they discovered. It's just the same bs with a marked up price. Hell, it might even be worse for you than other places.

Anyone standing in a grocery store reading off a label to tell you something is extremely hazardous is probably a f***ing tool who's trying to sell you some bs and you should just mock that person.

Drink water. I've asked a few people I know who are in good shape and dven do power lifting competitions and said having stuff like mio, or the cheaper shit that I buy is alright. Pour some in to give your water flavour and go.

Sorry that's all over the place, but it's just off the top of my head from what I remember that has made this journey seem much more easier than last time.

Sometimes you get heavier than you want because you are being lazy, or there's just not enough time in the day and you're busy with everything else, or maybe you have a genetic dispositions towards this. Doing smaller things will help keep that down.

Me, personally, I grew up in a family that didn't have much money, so take-out was usually reserved for birthdays only and very rare occasions. Once I got older, got a job and had money I'd order take-out waaaay too often. The truly bad part was because I didn't get it often, I wouldn't throw anything out. Viewed it as just a waste and wouldn't keep stuff to heat up later, so I'd pretty much force myself to eat it.

If you're looking to start your journey maybe that helped, maybe it didn't and you're more confused than ever.
Egg whites are only good if you're trying to maintain lower calories with a higher protein intake. Otherwise, most of the vitamins are in the yolk so you're missing out on those.

Reactions: DAChampion

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Yes that too.

I wish they made pop with real sugar, not corn syrup. Those Jarritos I think they're called that you get at Mexican restaurants are made with real sugar and taste amazing.

I often make my own "sprite", mix fresh lemon and lime juice with sugar and add club soda. Delicious

• Love

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Egg whites are only good if you're trying to maintain lower calories with a higher protein intake. Otherwise, most of the vitamins are in the yolk so you're missing out on those.
As well as the high quality fats.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Makes no sense to eat just egg whites. If you’re going to do that, opt for a shake imo.

Yes that too.

I agree with staying away from artificial sweeteners. I’m not a soda drinker, but every few months I’ll have a Coke Zero. They are pretty damn close to coke.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
(I guess I felt like writing tonight. Feel free not to read this wall of text but it felt good to type out)

I'm surprised this thread has been dead for so long considering it's part 7 and it was very active before. Anyways, over the years I've posted in these threads a few times about my struggles with my weight. I just couldn't see a way out. I understand for most people, this doesn't make any sense and the first thing that comes to their mind is "just put down the fork and go for a walk, dummy" but it's so much more complicated than that.

18 months ago, in agony, I went to see my doctor. I was not in physical pain mind you, but I was definitely suffering mentally. Decades of lone suffering and self deprecation made me entirely worthless in my own eyes. I was so shut in and unable to express my pain that when the doctor asked me what was wrong all I could do was cry, unable to let the words out. After a very intense and forced conversation (I forced myself. The doctor listened) I managed to let the doctor know how lonely and miserable I was. She recommended I consul a therapist, which I agreed to. About a week later, I had my first appointment with a psychologist. The first few appointments were a week apart and I think for the first 3 or 4 I cried basically the entire time, managing to let more and more details out each time. Thankfully I got much better at it over time and it became easier.

Fast forward about 10 months and I was starting to feel much better. It suddently became clear to me that I was worth saving. I was worth the effort. It wasn't pointless to fix my issues and I deserved just as much as anyone to live a normal and balanced life. I had already done more than I ever thought I would. I was proud of myself. Step 1 had been to gather the courage to schedule an appointment with my doctor. Mission accomplished. Step 2 was the appointment itself. Job well done. Step 3 was to open up. Outstanding work, buddy.

I honestly don't remember what made me decide to get serious about losing weight. I guess I suddently acted instead of just dreaming. I booked another appointment with my Doctor, this time with the intention of asking for help with my weight. Years prior, she had 'wanted' me to get a gastric bypass surgery (or whatever other surgeries exist) and I refused as I thought this was just cheating and a lazy way to fix my issues. This time around, I still wasn't hot on the idea of surgery but somehow I was okay with drugs helping me. Now, lucky for me, I am not diabetic (or even pre-diabetic) so Ozempic was out of the question as I didn't qualify. She prescribed to me a drug called Contrave instead. This drug is quite hardcore and it takes several weeks before you can feel any effect at all. By the end of week 1 all I had was a headache and everyday it just kept getting worse and worse. After a little over 3 weeks I had been dealing with what had become full on migraines (I had never had these before or since) and so I went to get my blood pressure tested to make sure I wasn't killing myself. It was way too high for my liking and I stopped taking the drug. A few days later I saw my doctor again and told her about my side effects. She agreed with my decision to stop taking Contrave but said that the good news is that I was now qualified to try Ozempic. Yes this is an Ozempic story. Yes it's kinda cheating. Yes, it works. Holy shit does it work.

I have been taking Ozempic for 8 months now. The first 2 months is mostly about ramping up the dose with little to no effect but it still worked because I was in a better headspace and was starting to naturally make changes to my habits. I was losing weight slowly but steadily. After 8 weeks I had begun taking the full dose and that's when the side effects kicked in. Unfortunately I had to deal with major gastric reflux. It was so prevalent that my oesophagus was basically being digested as it's just not able to cope with the stomach acid. I had to see my doctor again and she said my oesophagus had a pretty bad infection, which explained the weird tightening sensation and the god awful sulfur burps (those were GROSS). Thankfuly I now have a pill to manage that and it works.

Something strange about Ozempic is the way it slowly helps you change your relationship with food and eating. I can't eat as much food in a single sitting anymore but this isn't the number one reason why I'm losing weight. The biggest change is how I can now... stop. I don't have to finish my plate anymore. "Thanks" to my reflux issues, I've made myself feel like shit so many times that I've become accustomed to stopping and enjoying feeling normal after eating instead of enjoying feeling FULL. I've replaced my guilt of wasting food by the pride of self control and it's awesome. While my weight loss is nothing spectacular compared to most internet stories, it is spectacular to me as I can actually FEEL and SEE it.

The biggest number I saw on the scale before I started this journey was 356lb. I have no doubt I was way over 360lb at some point in the past.
As I'm typing this, I weigh about 315lb.
I have yet to exercise and I don't eat extremely healthy either. I just control myself when it comes to portion. I want to change my habbits one at a time. Changing everything at once is a recipe for failure and I have no intentions of doing that.
My goal is to reach 299lb doing exactly what I'm doing. Then I want to do something I've missed doing for years; play badminton again. The last time I played was 6 or 7 years ago and my body was not happy lol. I want to play again when I'm lighter on my feet. Speaking of which, I bought a condo and move very recently and the few days of moving/cleaning/painting were very intense but towards the end, I was pleasantly surprised to feel stronger and lighter than I had in years. Hell, towards the end, I was climbing stairs 2 at a time while 'running' like I did in my teens. It felt natural back then and it was feeling good again.

At this point I still take Ozempic but I honestly believe I'd be okay without it. I've tasted the fruit of progress both on the scale and in real life as well. People are starting to notice the change and so am I. I think I'm turning into a decent looking guy for my late 30's and this is a good feeling.

There was no reason for me to type all of this today and I doubt anyone reads the entire thing but if you're struggling like I have been, just take the first step, whatever it is.

just
do
it

shia-laboeuf.gif --- © Nike corporation
Hey congratulations. You're doing great.

Reactions: knuck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Makes no sense to eat just egg whites. If you’re going to do that, opt for a shake imo.

I agree with staying away from artificial sweeteners. I’m not a soda drinker, but every few months I’ll have a Coke Zero. They are pretty damn close to coke.
Id much rather have my egg whites than a shake, which is barely bearable taste wise for me.

Pretty sure egg whites arent wasted at all, egg yolks carton exists and egg yolks are used way more often than whites in food prep.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Need reviews/suggestions

Quest Chips - are they any good ?

Good protein bar that's available at Costco, wal-mart, No Frills, or Metro. I guess if it's in Ottawa I could drive to it and find it, if there's one at another store.

Any must haves from Costco ? I think the wife wants to do a run there before school starts again.

One last tidbit. I bought some nosy weights. So, they're weights you can attach to you. I got 4 ankle/wrist weights. When I play video games I make sure to have the wrist weights on. Just holding the controller you feel the burn and takes a bit more effort to keep the controller up while you play.

When I do household chores, like vacuum, clean, etc I'll put all 4 on. I just got a weighted vest that I might add to my walks and/or things around the house.

That's me, though and I have no idea if that's a legitimate way to go, but I can't see it being bad.

NEAT is where you burn the most calories. If fat loss is the goal, you’ll have to be careful to not let your NEAT drop (due to fatigue if you increased cardio and reduced calories).

I‘ve been on my journey for 18 months now. I dropped from 207 to 167 mostly off cardio and reduced calories. I increased calories and added resistance training and got myself back to 190. I just completed a 12 week cut and back to 178.

For me anyways, there’s basically 5 pillars for my goals:

1) Structured weight training (I do an upper/lower 4 day split and one mobility day). I train very hard, 60-75 minutes, and typically do 1-2 exercises to failure each training day.

2) Protein - I shoot for 190-210g a day.

3) I live by calories in, calories out. If I’m bulking or cutting, I try to stay within 300-500 calories if maintenance. I try to not eat back calories burned when cutting.

4) Stay active and move. I walk a minimum 10,000 steps a day. I own a treadmill and will do 30-60 minutes daily and keep myself in zone 2 cardio for at least 70% of that time. NGL, this was hard when I was cutting, but it’s about the discipline overcoming lack of motivation.

5) Sleep. Really, this is #1, but nonetheless it‘s important. I shoot for 8 hours, but usually fall in the 6-7 range.

The reason I did mention training first is I find the general population thinks of running and diets when you ask “how do you get healthy?”. I think dieting (fad diet) is not a good idea unless you have a medical reason to do so. I admit to doing this when I started (keto) but will also admit I looked like shit.

I eat 30 eggs a week. Cholesterol is perfect. Egg whites alone is just stupid imo, you are throwing out the best and most nutritious part of the egg.

Eggs are awesome! I do eat both. Egg whites, which I just buy cartons, I’ll consume if I am reducing calories. I know I can just separate the yolks but to be honest I don’t have any real egg yolk recipes hence I just get the cartons.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
NEAT is where you burn the most calories. If fat loss is the goal, you’ll have to be careful to not let your NEAT drop (due to fatigue if you increased cardio and reduced calories).

I‘ve been on my journey for 18 months now. I dropped from 207 to 167 mostly off cardio and reduced calories. I increased calories and added resistance training and got myself back to 190. I just completed a 12 week cut and back to 178.

For me anyways, there’s basically 5 pillars for my goals:

1) Structured weight training (I do an upper/lower 4 day split and one mobility day). I train very hard, 60-75 minutes, and typically do 1-2 exercises to failure each training day.

2) Protein - I shoot for 190-210g a day.

3) I live by calories in, calories out. If I’m bulking or cutting, I try to stay within 300-500 calories if maintenance. I try to not eat back calories burned when cutting.

4) Stay active and move. I walk a minimum 10,000 steps a day. I own a treadmill and will do 30-60 minutes daily and keep myself in zone 2 cardio for at least 70% of that time. NGL, this was hard when I was cutting, but it’s about the discipline overcoming lack of motivation.

5) Sleep. Really, this is #1, but nonetheless it‘s important. I shoot for 8 hours, but usually fall in the 6-7 range.

The reason I did mention training first is I find the general population thinks of running and diets when you ask “how do you get healthy?”. I think dieting (fad diet) is not a good idea unless you have a medical reason to do so. I admit to doing this when I started (keto) but will also admit I looked like shit.

Eggs are awesome! I do eat both. Egg whites, which I just buy cartons, I’ll consume if I am reducing calories. I know I can just separate the yolks but to be honest I don’t have any real egg yolk recipes hence I just get the cartons.
Great post. For me I would simplify the steps a bit from 5 pillars to 3 pillars as I don’t count sleep. Sleep is essential regardless of what phase your in, but cutting is this for me

1. Calories in vs Calories out (within 500 maintenance)
2. Strength training. At least 3 times per week.
3. Protein intake, roughly 1gram per lb.

I run a lot because I like it, but I don’t find it required to cut at all. Tbh I don’t find it helps much at all because I have a tendency to eat all those calories back.

I’ve been harping on zone 2 cardio for months/year here and agree it’s a great addition to a routine, but for me, doesn’t add much benefit to my cut. I just get hungrier and eat those calories back and then some lol. It is good for allowing me to indulge in some good foods that I like while staying within 500 of maintenance, but absolutely not needed to cut imo.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
hey, thanks for reading. I can't believe I wrote this two months ago... time sure flies.

Not much has changed over the last two months. I have definitely plateaued and my doctor, whom I saw last week, said I've lost less weight than I should have according to the stats. She increased my dose 50% to 1.5mg and so far so good I guess.

Overall I still feel quite good physically and meh mentally. It's strange how despite not having lost any weight in what is now months, I still feel "light" on my feet. When I see my reflection in a public place however I always feel like shit because I always seem to take 25 times the amount of space anyone else takes.

I may be forced to stop soon though as I must take some tests to see if I have galstones. If I do, I think it's game over (for ozempic). I'm not sure yet
If Ozempic has stopped giving you results, would you reconsider that gastric bypass surgery you mentioned? You called it 'cheating', but how is it different than skinny people who benefit from their genetics? That's a kind of cheating. They did nothing to earn their advantage, so why should you turn down a procedure that could help level the playing field?

Nobody wants surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, but based on your post from two months ago, you should do whatever gives you back your quality of life.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Ozempic has stopped giving you results, would you reconsider that gastric bypass surgery you mentioned? You called it 'cheating', but how is it different than skinny people who benefit from their genetics? That's a kind of cheating. They did nothing to earn their advantage, so why should you turn down a procedure that could help level the playing field?

Nobody wants surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, but based on your post from two months ago, you should do whatever gives you back your quality of life.
Doesn't the gastric bypass surgery come with a lot of complications?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Doesn't the gastric bypass surgery come with a lot of complications?
I have a sister in law who had it done and it was successful with no complications. I know this doesn’t answer your question, but yeah, there are definite risks involved, I feel like they have made great progress in this area over the last 15-20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad