OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not sure how experienced you are...my only piece of advice I'd give for training for that first marathon, is truly slow down those long runs. Slower than what your target pace is for the marathon. Speed work once maybe twice a week, majority of training slow.

Check out kipchoges training regime. It's shocking how slow he goes on long runs.
I do almost all my training in zone 2. Less is definitely more. I’m all about keeping that heart rate in a comfortable place. Zone 2 has changed my life. Will never give it up.

Reactions: waitin425

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
@waitin425 @BehindTheTimes

This may sound stupid, but as a noobie idk how to dress for winter running. What are you guys wearing for ~30 minutes runs? What about longer? I have alpine touring gear, but its mostly warmer stuff that I wouldnt wear to run.
I don’t change much except protect the extremities. I’ve got mitts, hat and under armour sweats and hoodie. That’s it for me, it’s very comfortable so far. I don’t do any kind of thermal wear. I warm up inside for 10 mins and that’s it. Was a bit windy the other day so I threw a light under armour windbreaker on top of my hoodie.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t change much except protect the extremities. I’ve got mitts, hat and under armour sweats and hoodie. That’s it for me, it’s very comfortable so far. I don’t do any kind of thermal wear. I warm up inside for 10 mins and that’s it. Was a bit windy the other day so I threw a light under armour windbreaker on top of my hoodie.
Even in -10+ weather ? Wild. Maybe Im overthinking this, Rocky Balboa used to run in full grey sweats, willy imprint and all.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
@waitin425 @BehindTheTimes

This may sound stupid, but as a noobie idk how to dress for winter running. What are you guys wearing for ~30 minutes runs? What about longer? I have alpine touring gear, but its mostly warmer stuff that I wouldnt wear to run.
You can buy a decent pair of winter running shoes for the snow and ice. I'm in Southern Ontario, so get by with my hokas.

I have a few different outfits, but typically wear, winter running tights with shorts over top and a long sleeve thermal exercise shirt and running vest. Running toque and gloves as well. Super cold days, like colder than -10, I have a cowl for my face, and I break out my snowboard gloves and even a hoodie under my vest.

Just layer, so you can adjust. I like feeling a little lighter when I do speed workouts. So I'll warmup with something thicker, than gear down for intervals.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
What are your guys thoughts on the mRNA vaccines now?

I got two Pfizer and one Moderna of the original strain and there's a part of me that wishes I never got them. I wish I could have done Johnson and Johnson plus Novavax, or something.

If I didn't have a young son (under 12 at that time) that I wanted to be able to take to a restaurant or hospital if needed, I would 100% never had gotten even one shot. I got the 2 min required to get the "passport". And with that, I intentionally avoided the MRNA vaccines and opted for Astrazeneca in order to avoid the MRNA blueprint. And based on the many papers and studies available now, I'm glad I did. PS: The vaccines were not wholly effective the way they (pharma, gov) described.

If you're an info nerd, like me. You may like the following YouTube channel. Another great one is Vinay Prasad. Cheers!

Reactions: DAChampion

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Skiing is a way of life.

Being near a mountain has been a life changer. Not even kidding. I've grown 3 inches both of height and of penis, my kids respect me now and I've warded off at least 3 robberies at our local McDonalds by cheer intimidation.

I've also started to laugh and demean all these parents with kids and 40-60 hour jobs who because of lack of discipline are quick to make excuses about their lack of fitness. It's just not that difficult ffs, just work less, ignore your kids and make your babies look at you train at 6 am when he wakes you up so he'll get good habits right from the f***ing start. Bonus points if you make him fast while doing it.

So anyways, skiing is cool and a very unaffordable but cool way to get the exercise in. The family ski pass has been one of the first things on the budget for the last 2 years. There's also something very meditative about carving your way down the slopes. The main problem I need to figure out is how to manage calories as I get as hungry as after a good swim.
Alpine skiing is great, came out of the womb with skis on, cesarean birth naturally. Good for some benefits but cross-country is overall more beneficial.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not big on gyms and prefer to do activities I enjoy for fitness, and f*** do I ever love shoveling snow! I'd do this everyday as my workout if I could. Always feel fantastic after shoveling my car after a big storm like we had last night.

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I did my first last year.....was a bucket list thing in my 40's. Remarkably I lost very little weight throughout the 4 months of training. Probably because my diet was shit and it just doesn't come off like it used to. The past few months has been spent doing full body HIIT workouts. I feel way better than the running, and if it wasn't for gains in muscle mass, I am sure I would have lost some lbs.

Good luck with your marathon! No feeling like crossing that finish line!
Ill never do anything but HIIT workouts ever again. I am on my 5th time through an 8 week program and the progress is way beyond anything I could have imagined. Hard to go back to anything else after you enjoy it because it seems so slow.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can buy a decent pair of winter running shoes for the snow and ice. I'm in Southern Ontario, so get by with my hokas.
Love my Hokas, first time buyer last summer. I got the Clifton 9 model, perfect for occasional running and brisk walks.

I wasn’t sure I’d like them at first, took me a good 2 weeks to break in but now, they’re super comfortable. Was tempted to try their Clifton 9 GTX for wet weather but several unflattering reviews on their site dissuaded me. I’m going to go for a 2nd pair but don’t like the selection from their Canadian site (US site is way better but they probably only serve US locations).

Which models have you liked?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Love my Hokas, first time buyer last summer. I got the Clifton 9 model, perfect for occasional running and brisk walks.

I wasn’t sure I’d like them at first, took me a good 2 weeks to break in but now, they’re super comfortable. Was tempted to try their Clifton 9 GTX for wet weather but several unflattering reviews on their site dissuaded me. I’m going to go for a 2nd pair but don’t like the selection from their Canadian site (US site is way better but they probably only serve US locations).

My hokas (bondi 8) give me terrible blistering along the arch of my foot like no other shoe has

Terribly frustrating

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

My daily runners are the Mach 5's.

I bought a pair of the Rocket X2's for my marathon and have only worn those bad boys for a long run prior to race day and on race day. The carbon plate is a game changer. Feels like springs in my shoes!

• Love
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My hokas (bondi 8) give me terrible blistering along the arch of my foot like no other shoe has

Terribly frustrating
Sry to hear that. Have you tried their customer service?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Sry to hear that. Have you tried their customer service?
I’ve read that is a common problem with the shoe actually
It’s weird though because the first few months I owned them they were great and then the following summer I suddenly had this problem

Might try some insoles

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We went to a C&W type establishment and they had one of these. I've been riding since I can remember, not bucking broncos mind you, and this is actually very demanding physically and rather torturous for the twins residing in the nut-house. Anyone know what the ''pro-riders'' do with their ''equipment''?:dunno:

xWOPZqw.gif

This is one of the best pieces of exercise equipment money can buy for your partner, it reaps dividends for everyone, not just the recipient, it has a trickle down effect.;)

3ceffe56a80fe8bc1b947d7cab3eff75_w200.gif

• Haha

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Even in -10+ weather ? Wild. Maybe Im overthinking this, Rocky Balboa used to run in full grey sweats, willy imprint and all.
When gyms were closed during Covid I sucked it up and ran outdoors all Winter, in temps as cold as -18. For me, upperwear was key - sweater, turtleneck, thermal windbreaker, tuque, mittens. When it dipped below -15 I put on sunglasses to keep my eyes from freezing.

But below the waist nothing more than regular running sweats and my normal Asics shoes. Once you start moving the legs stay warm. I just kept it really slow to avoid wiping out on slippery roads.

I've heard it's not great for the lungs to be sucking in freezing air, so I didn't stay out longer than about 20-25 minutes.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Any skiers here bought the Carv ski boot liners ? It's expensive, but it looks like a great way to get self coaching. I ski at least 2-3 times a week on very well maintained slopes so it feels like a good investment.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Damn were pretty far in technology now, it actually looks reliable.

It honestly looks great, all of my snowboarder friends want something like that but they haven't come out with one for boarding yet. It's apparently in the works. I'll probably buy it this year or next year and write a review here.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just came back from a little touring day, amazing snow today. We climb up twice (About 40 minutes per). I'm friggin' spent. I totally forgot to turn on my Strava though, sadly. Im expecting I burned 1000ish calories lol, it was pretty brutal in snow that deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00