OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I called Chia a super food a few threads back and a couple posters here had complete meltdowns for it lol
I missed that, but it's probably because the term is abused by sham marketers.

It's part of why I put in in quotation marks and contextualized with reference to the standard American diet. I could have also called it "particularly complementary food" which might be more scientifically accurate :) Though I think people got the point.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

It's part of why I put in in quotation marks and contextualized with reference to the standard American diet. I could have also called it "particularly complementary food" which might be more scientifically accurate :) Though I think people got the point.
Ya that point is clearly and simply that it is an awesome food to add to ones diet if it isn't a part of it already.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
What's your split like? I'm a big believer in frequency- at least when it comes to the upper body. Rather than a standard 5 day split, consider a split that has you hitting everything twice a week instead of once.

No idea if I would be answering your question correctly but my new plan is day 1 Legs + triceps, day 2 pecs + back + biceps (that's a huge f***ing day I am exhausted) and day 3 is back + shoulders if I remember correctly (just started last week). I work out monday, tuesday, wednesday and friday and the week after i'm going from monday to friday so week 1 is 4 days and week 2 is 5 days. Abs are day 1 and 3 as well.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No idea if I would be answering your question correctly but my new plan is day 1 Legs + triceps, day 2 pecs + back + biceps (that's a huge ****ing day I am exhausted) and day 3 is back + shoulders if I remember correctly (just started last week). I work out monday, tuesday, wednesday and friday and the week after i'm going from monday to friday so week 1 is 4 days and week 2 is 5 days. Abs are day 1 and 3 as well.
Ya I think you'd benefit from splitting it up a bit differently, perhaps some push/pull/legs variation. If you hammer legs hard, you can afford to do them once a week so essentially something like

Monday
PUSH
Tuesday
PULL
Wednesday
REST
Thursday
LEGS
Friday
PUSH
Saturday
PULL
Sunday
REST

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ya I think you'd benefit from splitting it up a bit differently, perhaps some push/pull/legs variation. If you hammer legs hard, you can afford to do them once a week so essentially something like

Monday
PUSH
Tuesday
PULL
Wednesday
REST
Thursday
LEGS
Friday
PUSH
Saturday
PULL
Sunday
REST
Monday is international chess day:nod:

I would hit legs heavy on Monday and Friday.
I would include 1 day of yoga since it as so many benefits.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014

Monday
PUSH
Tuesday
PULL
Wednesday
REST
Thursday
LEGS
Friday
PUSH
Saturday
PULL
Sunday
REST

Think is, I can't workout on thursday most of the time, but I get the point. Is it good to do legs like 3-4 times a week ? I personally think it's a bit too much, esp. considering it is already strong (not saying it can't get better cause it can, but I'd rather have more upper body)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Think is, I can't workout of thursday most of the time, but I get the point. Is it good the have legs like 3-4 times a week ? I personally think it's a bit too much, esp. considering it is already strong (not saying it can't get better cause it can, but I'd rather have more upper body)
So try
Monday
LEGS
Tuesday
PUSH
Wendnesday
PULL
Thursday
REST
Friday
PUSH
Saturday
PULL
Sunday
REST

And ya, I think with Legs, 1 day a week is good if you hammer them.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thanks ! Any particular exercices I should be doing/not doing ?
This is my current blueprint. Notice traps and rear delts are on the pull day, while front and side delts are on the push day.

Push Day
Flat Bench
Incline
Fly

Shoulder Press
Side delt raise 1
Side delt 2

Dips
Tricep Rope/Bar

Pull Day
Deadlifts
Barbell Row
Pullups
Straight Arm Pulldowns

Shrugs
Rear delt Flys

Bicep 1
Bicep 2

Leg Day
Squats
Straight leg deficit DL
Lunges
Hamstring Curls
Leg Extensions
Calf Raises

Reactions: philipsson

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
This is my current blueprint. Notice traps and rear delts are on the pull day, while front and side delts are on the push day.

Push Day
Flat Bench
Incline
Fly

Shoulder Press
Side delt raise 1
Side delt 2

Dips
Tricep Rope/Bar

Pull Day
Deadlifts
Barbell Row
Pullups
Straight Arm Pulldowns

Shrugs
Rear delt Flys

Bicep 1
Bicep 2

Leg Day
Squats
Straight leg deficit DL
Lunges
Hamstring Curls
Leg Extensions
Calf Raises

Good split. What's you rep range and tempo i.e rest between sets?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Good split. What's you rep range and tempo i.e rest between sets?
Right now I'm doing that push/pull/legs with a 4th day that is an upper body day that is very super set heavy. I do those 4 days once per week. In terms of rep range and stuff, I usually do 4-5 sets in the 3-5 rep range for squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, and pullups. I was doing that rep range on the bench as well, but aggravated a shoulder so moved that to 3-4 sets of 8-12, and that's where everything else sits as well. I'll rest 2-3 minutes for the heavier stuff, and then 90 seconds or so for the more accessory stuff.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

that's what super food is IMO

I expect chia to be replaced by something else (as a super food) eventually.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Point is referring to a guide that has historically been flawed isn't much of an argument, but suit yourself!
This new guide is different as they are no longer allowing lobby groups to influence it, and it's been designed by the top nutritionists and dietitians nation wide.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think that it would be very difficult to design a general food guide that makes specific recommendations. The most obvious thing to ask for would be allergies (which then necessitate substitutions), and that adds a lot of degrees of freedom to the analysis. More and more people have allergies, for whatever reason.

The food guide above suggests dairy alternatives with dairy. That's misguided. Almond milk, rice milk, etc are nutritionally useless. Soy milk has some value actually, but it's not the same value as cow's milk. Soy milk has good protein, and also fiber which is nice. However, the vitamin A, D, B2, B12, are added as fortifiers and are low quality fortifiers at that. The vitamin D that is added to soy milk is actually vitamin D2 which may in fact be detrimental to human health. Vitamin D3 is what humans need and what is found in animal products.
So it's difficult, so be it. That is exactly my point.
People have tried to simplify nutrition for as long as I can remember. Why? Nutrition is not simple. It's very specific and complex. There are general guidelines, sure, but trying to dumb it down into a one size fit all doesn't help anybody.
I mean, just look at your post. The people in charge can't even get it right. So they should probably do way more research and stop trying this generic approach.

Anyway, I want to end on something positive, here's a great food (in my opinion) that more people should eat because it's strengths are complementary to what I think are the typical person's deficiencies:
High in fiber, plant protein, and unsaturated fats. IMO It's a "super-food" in the context of the standard American diet, as it has exactly the things that many people eating that diet are deficient in.
I don't really use the super food expression as I feel it is a marketing term, but yes, Chia is quite nutritious.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Guess because it doesn't support your bias, it must be crap...
Euh...you sure you want to say that?
So a guide that has historically been flawed and wrong, now is good as it supports your plant based fanism....and I'm the biased one? :biglaugh:
I preach a balanced diet with no restriction but moderation, any diet that tells people to cut down foods ends up failing. That is my personal experience working in the field for almost a decade.
What we vehemently argued over is the demonizing of meat, But I never preached a diet packed of meat.
So not sure what bias you are referring to. If anybody has made having a bias clear is you and everything plant.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Euh...you sure you want to say that?
So a guide that has historically been flawed and wrong, now is good as it supports your plant based fanism....and I'm the biased one? :biglaugh:
I preach a balanced diet with no restriction but moderation, any diet that tells people to cut down foods ends up failing. That is my personal experience working in the field for almost a decade.
What we vehemently argued over is the demonizing of meat, But I never preached a diet packed of meat.
So not sure what bias you are referring to. If anybody has made having a bias clear is you and everything plant.
I was messing with you bud. We all have our bias's, if you were intellectually honest, you'd recognize that you have them too. Cheers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Right now I'm doing that push/pull/legs with a 4th day that is an upper body day that is very super set heavy. I do those 4 days once per week. In terms of rep range and stuff, I usually do 4-5 sets in the 3-5 rep range for squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, and pullups. I was doing that rep range on the bench as well, but aggravated a shoulder so moved that to 3-4 sets of 8-12, and that's where everything else sits as well. I'll rest 2-3 minutes for the heavier stuff, and then 90 seconds or so for the more accessory stuff.
What are you doing for your tweaked shoulder?
Try switching to kettlebell bench press uni or bilateral, and add in some KB bottom up. I'd add Turkish get ups too.
Those three exercises are awesome to improve stability and strength around shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad