OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What are you doing for your tweaked shoulder?
Try switching to kettlebell bench press uni or bilateral, and add in some KB bottom up. I'd add Turkish get ups too.
Those three exercises are awesome to improve stability and strength around shoulders.
The shoulder is pretty much back to 100%, I'm just hesitant to go super heavy on the bench is all. Still some weird clicking here and there though. Since I'm mostly lifting for aesthetics anyway 8-12 rep range works well and less risky. There are kettle bells at my gym, have never really used em, so will look into that.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Loll funny vegan comment.

I might watch the full episode because the man clearly has life experience, but he was unfortunately trafficking in a lot of clichés, such as "the universe takes from the taker", "karma", implying that olympic doping is a specifically Russian problem (lol @ the American jingoism). Finally, though I think that veganism is a disadvantage, there are some elite vegan athletes, and the guy just wants to complete an ironman, not win it. It is certainly the case that a vegan can complete the ironman, I won't even bother looking up.

But again, he's an expert with a lot of life experience, so I'll watch the full episode if it's available.

I do like his philosophy of only rewarding effort, rather than telling people that "they're good". What do you think about that? About the rest of the content?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I might watch the full episode because the man clearly has life experience, but he was unfortunately trafficking in a lot of clichés, such as "the universe takes from the taker", "karma", implying that olympic doping is a specifically Russian problem (lol @ the American jingoism). Finally, though I think that veganism is a disadvantage, there are some elite vegan athletes, and the guy just wants to complete an ironman, not win it. It is certainly the case that a vegan can complete the ironman, I won't even bother looking up.

But again, he's an expert with a lot of life experience, so I'll watch the full episode if it's available.

I do like his philosophy of only rewarding effort, rather than telling people that "they're good". What do you think about that? About the rest of the content?
Charles Poliquin is a pioneer in the industry. There is no doubt he has a wealth of experience and his certifications are pretty informative.
That said, he does like to hold extreme positions and I am not too sure I fully agree on his nutrition stance. This veganism quote is an example of it. I think it is fully possible for an athlete to be vegan. Kendrick Farris is Olympic Weightlifter and he's vegan, but then, we never know what high level athletes actually put into their bodies.
I do agree that it isn't ideal due to the caloric need of athletes. Getting those high quantities in on a plant based diet will be tricky, but impossible? I wouldn't go that far, and we know some do it like Kendrick Farris. I just thought his quote was funny, and I do think veganism is simply the new thing, but I disagree with him there.

In another video, he also claimed he could make a client who has never done Olympic Weightlifting snatch adequately or well within one session, which is complete and utter BS. I am an Olympic Weightlifting coach, there is no way, not a single person, can properly learn to snatch within an hour. Impossible. To claim such a thing is actually an insult to the sport with its highly complex and technical executions.

So ya, take some leave some with Poliquin. I do agree with his dislike in using "good job".
My clients would scream "Oh my God!" in disbelief when I walked away from one of their lifts simply saying "Good Job".
My philosophy as a coach is always that I am not there to be a cheerleader, my purpose is to give constructive criticism and guidance, and I should always have some feedback to give after every lift. Clients understand this as well and they appreciate the minutiae of my coaching, so when I actually say "good job", it's quite meaningful to them.

Or at least, that's how I used to coach. Doing more supervising and management than coaching over the past year.

You don't have to agree with everything but Poliquin is a reliable source of information, no doubt about it.

Reactions: DAChampion

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think it's actually easier for athletes to eat vegan than non-athletes. If you are already mindful of calories, macros, and micros, you aren't going to have a tough time. If you've always just eaten "blind", then you might have some bumps in the road.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Just did a powerlifting competition over the weekend and my body is so sore.. lol.

Deloading is happening now, but since I'm planning to cut, how can I cut on the exercize side, and the eating side?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it's actually easier for athletes to eat vegan than non-athletes. If you are already mindful of calories, macros, and micros, you aren't going to have a tough time. If you've always just eaten "blind", then you might have some bumps in the road.
Well that is true for any type of diet.
It's going to be easier for the meat eating athlete to count his macros if he is already mindful of them vs a non-athlete that just eats blindly. That is true for anyone.

But if you are a vegan athlete, you can have a harder time reaching those caloric needs than a non vegan athlete. There is a big difference in calorie between eating say, sausages vs tofu.
I never said it was impossible, it's just a bit more challenging.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just did a powerlifting competition over the weekend and my body is so sore.. lol.

Deloading is happening now, but since I'm planning to cut, how can I cut on the exercize side, and the eating side?
What do you mean cut on the exercise side?
On the eating side, make sure you are in a calorie deficit if you want to cut.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well that is true for any type of diet.
It's going to be easier for the meat eating athlete to count his macros if he is already mindful of them vs a non-athlete that just eats blindly. That is true for anyone.

But if you are a vegan athlete, you can have a harder time reaching those caloric needs than a non vegan athlete. There is a big difference in calorie between eating say, sausages vs tofu.
I never said it was impossible, it's just a bit more challenging.
I've been an athlete my whole life, it really is a non-issue. I'm able to ballpark calories just looking at something, and I'm able to get my calories in easily. You just have to be mindful of it, if you are, it's a non-issue.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've been an athlete my whole life, it really is a non-issue. I'm able to ballpark calories just looking at something, and I'm able to get my calories in easily. You just have to be mindful of it, if you are, it's a non-issue.
I never claimed it to be an issue or impossible, simply that it requires more attention to details.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Does it make a difference how much you exercise when you work out during a cut?
Everything is related to your caloric intake. You can not exercise at all, if you are in a calorie deficit, generally speaking, you will lose weight.
Similar to a bulk phase, it doesn't matter how much you exercise, if you are not eating in a good surplus, you're not going to put on weight.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I never claimed it to be an issue or impossible, simply that it requires more attention to details.
I don't disagree with that, but it really is super easy once you know how to do it- much like I'm sure you're able to count calories and protein in your head without having to go on myfitnesspal...

And there is a reason alot of older athletes start eating alot more plant based to extend their careers...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Trying to stop poisoning myself with energy drinks. How bad is coffee ?

Overall it's probably good. It helps metabolism, concentration, may reduce appetite, and has antioxidants.

However, it can stain your teeth. If you drink it late, it will undermine your sleep which is awful. If you drink it in excess, it may overly tax your kidneys and lead to urinary incontinence.

If you add a lot of sugar and milk like the people who go to Tim Horton's, it probably becomes bad for you.

Tldr; best option is one or two black coffees a day, taken earlier in the day.

Reactions: philipsson

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm a 2-3 cups a day coffee drinker, I don't think it's bad per se, and it does have benefits, but be mindful that it is very acidifying so I think it's wise to try and avoid alot of the other acidifying foods/drinks if you do drink it daily, and be sure to hammer water throughout the day, I try for 3L+ a day myself.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And there is a reason alot of older athletes start eating alot more plant based to extend their careers...
You have scientific proof that shows this? That an athlete's lifespan gets extended solely due to a change in their nutrition. That going from a well balanced athletic nutrition to a plant based one extends their careers? I have not read any scientific article or study about any of this.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You have scientific proof that shows this? That an athlete's lifespan gets extended solely due to a change in their nutrition.
I said there are alot of athletes doing it now (following the lead of Tom Brady), and that's just a reality. Heck even Chara is vegan now, and he's shown a resurgence.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Keep doing what you do in the weight room and adjust your caloric intake. Exercise is exercise.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I said there are alot of athletes doing it now (following the lead of Tom Brady), and that's just a reality. Heck even Chara is vegan now, and he's shown a resurgence.
Well that's a nice story but to claim that switching to a plant based diet is the reason for this is unfounded.
Tom Brady btw also eats meat during winter. On the flip side, I could point to Kaepernick who went vegan and had issues keeping on his weight.
Not to mention, Brady has been awesome forever. He is not a norm.

As for Chara, he never fell off the earth, and his team got better, I would attribute this to his apparent "resurgence" more than anything. There are many examples of older players still performing at their sport, non of which had to do with becoming vegans.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brady is pretty much the furthest thing from an athlete you could use to make our point look good, lol. Guy runs a 40 slower than a man in his 70's.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well that's a nice story but to claim that switching to a plant based diet is the reason for this is unfounded.
Tom Brady btw also eats meat during winter. On the flip side, I could point to Kaepernick who went vegan and had issues keeping on his weight.
All I claimed was that many older athletes are using plant based eating in an effort to extend their careers, and they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad