OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Overall it's probably good. It helps metabolism, concentration, may reduce appetite, and has antioxidants.

However, it can stain your teeth. If you drink it late, it will undermine your sleep which is awful. If you drink it in excess, it may overly tax your kidneys and lead to urinary incontinence.

If you add a lot of sugar and milk like the people who go to Tim Horton's, it probably becomes bad for you.

Tldr; best option is one or two black coffees a day, taken earlier in the day.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I don't really like coffee so I add sugar (so not good) but still better than energy drinks I guess. I'll try getting use to drinking black coffee.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
All I claimed was that many older athletes are using plant based eating in an effort to extend their careers, and they are.
I think it's these little statements that vegans like to make that kills their reputation and discussions..

There is no link between eating plant based and extended an athlete's lifespan. Not to mention, you ignored the fact that one of the names you brought up actually eats meat, and how another athlete, named Kaepernick, had issues keeping his weight up switching to vegan.

There is merit to eating plant based, but come on now, there is no point in reaching silly conclusions like this. Were Chelios, Selanne, Jagr, Howe, etc all vegans too? Come on dude.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The moment I ever mention anything positive about plant based eating, everyone gets so offended lol
You made a very bold claim that switching to plant based extends the career of an athlete. I asked for actual scientific proof for this and you had none.
Now you get upset because people say your claim is unfounded?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think it's these little statements that vegans like to make that kills their reputation and discussions..

There is no link between eating plant based and extended an athlete's lifespan. Not to mention, you ignored the fact that one of the names you brought up actually eats meat, and how another athlete, named Kaepernick, had issues keeping his weight up switching to vegan.

There is merit to eating plant based, but come on now, there is no point in reaching silly conclusions like this. Were Chelios, Selanne, Jagr, Howe, etc all vegans too? Come on dude.
You're reading comprehension is struggling. I simply pointed out that older athletes are tending to eat more plant based these days, and they are.

Also Kap's weight went down because he stopped caring about football. His weight is backup now that he's looking for a job again, and the reason he doesn't have one has nothing to do with his diet.

Heck half of the Titans defence last year was vegan, and they didn't have any issues performing and making it into the playoffs...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You made a very bold claim that switching to plant based extends the career of an athlete. I asked for actual scientific proof for this and you had none.
Now you get upset because people say your claim is unfounded?
Dude, I never made that claim, I simply pointed out that they are doing it. There is no evidence for it because it's never been studied... what do you want from me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Dude, I never made that claim, I simply pointed out that they are doing it. There is no evidence for it because it's never been studied... what do you want from me.
Yes said this:
And there is a reason alot of older athletes start eating alot more plant based to extend their careers...
I mean really...
Please tell me..what is that reason?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well I already did, they are following an example set by Tom Brady, and they appear to be getting results.
Again, Brady eats meat during winter. So...there goes your argument.

No point in continuing this, you're not being objective or honest here, and have no evidence.
I mean sure, you can believe Chara is playing well because he's a vegan, not because his team improved and that Brady is the GOAT because for the past couple of years, he likes to be a vegan during off season. Sure.
Moving on.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Again, Brady eats meat during winter. So...there goes your argument.

No point in continuing this, you're not being objective or honest here, and have no evidence.
I mean sure, you can believe Chara is playing well because he's a vegan, not because his team improved and that Brady is the GOAT because for the past couple of years, he likes to be a vegan during off season. Sure.
Moving on.
I'm not sure if you're being puposefully obtuse here... All I said was that alot of older athletes are eating more plant based now, and the major reason for that is Tom Brady (who isn't vegan, but eats predominantly plant based). I'm not making any argument...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Someone has said that, though I haven't heard that anywhere other than on these boards. I know Chara has switched to it...

I used to hear the same arguments from crossfitters and the paleo diet.

In the end, nothing more than anectodal evidence really support anything either group says (about the subject you're bringing up).

Not that veganism is bad, it's an interesting moral and ethical choice and one of the ways to a sustainable future (which meat-eating isn't, at least not with the ressources we have). Even as a health choice, you end up eating more nutrient rich foods than the average population with subsequent better outcomes in the limited data, in the limited time frames we have. That said, saying anything more on the benefits at large and you'll be furthering yourself from actual facts.

PS: NM, was thinking of Thibaudeau (being a sellout to T-nation), not Poliquin.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Some of them are, sure, but there is no actual evidence that it helps them more in any way shape or form.

Indeed. This is like these wristbands that some athletes wear to "improve their performance". There is no proof for it but they do it anyway, just in case.... BTW, all this started when Gary Roberts started preaching about the importance of nutrition, and got results with some older star player (I forgot who it was). But even Roberts does not preach full vegan nutrition Gary Roberts: The importance of nutrition in hockey | The Hockey News

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Indeed. This is like these wristbands that some athletes wear to "improve their performance". There is no proof for it but they do it anyway, just in case.... BTW, all this started when Gary Roberts started preaching about the importance of nutrition, and got results with some older star player (I forgot who it was). But even Roberts does not preach full vegan nutrition Gary Roberts: The importance of nutrition in hockey | The Hockey News
I think it's a silly notion.
Anybody who preaches that everyone should eat the same way doesn't know a single thing about nutrition. So anyone saying that veganisn is better, that people should get on that, is clueless.
Nutrition is very individualistic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I used to hear the same arguments from crossfitters and the paleo diet.

In the end, nothing more than anectodal evidence really support anything either group says (about the subject you're bringing up).

Not that veganism is bad, it's an interesting moral and ethical choice and one of the ways to a sustainable future (which meat-eating isn't, at least not with the ressources we have). Even as a health choice, you end up eating more nutrient rich foods than the average population with subsequent better outcomes in the limited data, in the limited time frames we have. That said, saying anything more on the benefits at large and you'll be furthering yourself from actual facts.

PS: NM, was thinking of Thibaudeau (being a sellout to T-nation), not Poliquin.
The Paleo diet wasn't wrong though, eliminating all food containing refined sugar goes a long way.
That said, in Dr. Cordain's book, she states that we shouldn't demonize everything and the modern day human can still enjoy some starch foods.

I fell victim to it at first too, as I was listening to the people I trusted around me who were guiding me, but then I did my own readings and realized they were wrong on some things.

Having worked in the field for almost a decade, it is pretty clear to me that for the every day person, a non-restrictive but in moderation balanced diet is the best and easiest habit of eating. Anything else, people end up cracking.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The Paleo diet wasn't wrong though, eliminating all food containing refined sugar goes a long way.
That said, in Dr. Cordain's book, she states that we shouldn't demonize everything and the modern day human can still enjoy some starch foods.

I fell victim to it at first too, as I was listening to the people I trusted around me who were guiding me, but then I did my own readings and realized they were wrong on some things.

Having worked in the field for almost a decade, it is pretty clear to me that for the every day person, a non-restrictive but in moderation balanced diet is the best and easiest habit of eating. Anything else, people end up cracking.

Most of these authors like Dr Cordain who've done some form of rigorous research and field tested their ideas are usually pretty sound in what they bring forth. Really, the basic idea of cutting down processed nutrient poor foods for nutrient rich ones that most of these diets are encouraging are excellent. I can't really blame them for proponents of their diets extrapolating benefits that aren't really supported by any data, which was more of the point I was trying to put across with my post.

I'm like you though. I started training in my senior year of high school (bodybuilding.com and this site were just starting out) and most of my nutrition was based on bro science. Really believed in that back then LOL. I think it's part of the process for anyone who's starting lifting/dieting more seriously.

Anyways, I agree with you on that last part. The most optimal diet is the one you can live with for the rest of your life, not the "best" per say. That way, you're never really dieting, simply eating well.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Anyways, since we're all doing updates and @Mrb1p 's ass has gone into beastmode, I thought I'd give one, too.

Started training again the last few weeks in my home gym after about 1 year and a half of being submerged by work (had to take a much needed break recently after a hard personnal loss for me and my wife).

My one take away is I should never have stopped. I remember when I started back in high school, the first two things I noticed were its effects on my cognitive skills and mental welness. You get so used to it after years of training and playing sports, that you sort of take for granted its benefits.

Anyways, it's been a boon in an otherwise trying time and one I'll try to maintain when I go back to the insanity (literally) that is my work. Even 15 minutes is better than nothing and the way the stress of life numbs itself after a good lifting sessions sort of has a post-coital feel to it.

Anyways, still 5'10", so confirmed we don't grow past thirty. Still 185lbs (usually hovered around 187-192lbs when I was powerlifting), not as fit, nor lean, nor as deft as I was, but still maintained some strength and thankfully didn't end up looking like manure. My objectives changed as well and while I'll still be doing weights, I'm not going to be competing anytime soon so that I can shift my focus back to my one true passion which is playing hockey.

It's been special actually, since we never had the money growing up for me to get some proper training and games in, I've entered adult classes. Learning the basics as an adult has been a sweet experience and a much needed space to be free of everything that's happened. I don't even care where my skills end up at this point, the journey's really the most enjoyable part.

Lost 53 pounds in 7 months. God damn it feel good! Also had my 1st demo fight last saturday:) Had a blast out there! Still need to lose 25-30 pounds to be in better shape..ill start running soon to compliment my boxing class!

That's a damn good job man. Congrats.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyways, since we're all doing updates and @Mrb1p 's ass has gone into beastmode, I thought I'd give one, too.

Started training again the last few weeks in my home gym after about 1 year and a half of being submerged by work (had to take a much needed break recently after a hard personnal loss for me and my wife).

My one take away is I should never have stopped. I remember when I started back in high school, the first two things I noticed were its effects on my cognitive skills and mental welness. You get so used to it after years of training and playing sports, that you sort of take for granted its benefits.

Anyways, it's been a boon in an otherwise trying time and one I'll try to maintain when I go back to the insanity (literally) that is my work. Even 15 minutes is better than nothing and the way the stress of life numbs itself after a good lifting sessions sort of has a post-coital feel to it.

Anyways, still 5'10", so confirmed we don't grow past thirty. Still 185lbs (usually hovered around 187-192lbs when I was powerlifting), not as fit, nor lean, nor as deft as I was, but still maintained some strength and thankfully didn't end up looking like manure. My objectives changed as well and while I'll still be doing weights, I'm not going to be competing anytime soon so that I can shift my focus back to my one true passion which is playing hockey.

It's been special actually, since we never had the money growing up for me to get some proper training and games in, I've entered adult classes. Learning the basics as an adult has been a sweet experience and a much needed space to be free of everything that's happened. I don't even care where my skills end up at this point, the journey's really the most enjoyable part.

That's a damn good job man. Congrats.

Lol, manlet.

Reactions: Andrei79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->