Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia:

fail-fall.gif

Holland

fail-failure.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bruins fans and Wings fans warned us about Chiarelli and Holland.

What was that one trade Chiarelli made out of nowhere...Ryan Spooner for Strome :laugh:.

I dunno, should have just given the reigns to Keith in hindsight after Chiarelli was canned midgame.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
My god the endless excuses some of you make for this dummy. What the f*** are you actually talking about?

Holland is a good GM who has some misses (signing Campbell) but Campbell was going to sign for that anyway with another team. He got 104 pt Nuge cheap, got Hyman cheap, gave Kane a chance and it worked out before his injury. That trade for Ekholm was great. This slow start is out of his control and not his fault. Can you imagine Chiarelli trying to build this team? Lol.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Let's see where they're at when the season is winding down
I mean we should finish ahead of the Wings, but considering the state Holland left them in, if they make the playoffs this year that's a huge leap forward. They certainly didn't get the benefits of a generational player and another player who isn't far behind.

Holland is a good GM who has some misses (signing Campbell) but Campbell was going to sign for that anyway with another team. He got 104 pt Nuge cheap, got Hyman cheap, gave Kane a chance and it worked out before his injury. That trade for Ekholm was great. This slow start is out of his control and not his fault. Can you imagine Chiarelli trying to build this team? Lol.
As I said before, all but 2 hits against the cap are Holland's. Darnell Nurse's contract is a huge anchor. When Holland started 4 years he had three major roster holes on his agenda: Goaltending, defense, and depth scoring. The last few years we've been undone by exactly those things. There have been some good acquisitions but part of the problem with Holland too is the drafting under him has been abysmal. That we haven't even call up someone right now is 100% Holland's fault with brutal cap management.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Holland couldn't do much due to the cap. He's a good GM who is basically forced into relying on internal growth.
Agreed, but for all the good things he's done he's also made the cap worse. He is replacement level GM, which is rare air in edmonton.

People need to stop blaming Holland though, because the owner keeps hiring presidents with no experience. Holland is third in the blame chain line for the roster currently

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed, but for all the good things he's done he's also made the cap worse. He is replacement level GM, which is rare air in edmonton.

People need to stop blaming Holland though, because the owner keeps hiring presidents with no experience. Holland is third in the blame chain line for the roster currently

This is Holland's roster, lol, he spent every dollar on this salary cap not named McDavid or Draisaitl (the only two contracts left from Chiarelli's time here), lol.

You can't seriously believe what you just typed.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Time to bring in Keith Richards as GM. Keith has a 60 year history of being in the upper echelon of his industry. Let him try this one too.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think this season is a wash. It only took McDavid and Draisaitl underperforming for the team to crash. They need to start moving some expensive pieces and begin the retool in the offseason. RNH, Kane, Ceci, Kulak should be in play. So many shitty unmoveable contracts too (Campbell, Skinner, Nurse).

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think this season is a wash. It only took McDavid and Draisaitl underperforming for the team to crash. They need to start moving some expensive pieces and begin the retool in the offseason. RNH, Kane, Ceci, Kulak should be in play. So many shitty unmoveable contracts too (Campbell, Skinner, Nurse).
Another poster pointed out (I had also forgotten this salient point) that Kane apparently has a full NMC. Full, until 2025. Ceci is not going to return a replacement NHL D at this point, let alone anything of even marginal value. Kulak to me is not one of the glaring issues. RNH will not get moved as he's considered core. Nurse, same thing and he has an albatross contract that no intelligent GM will take on unless desperate or prone to gambling. He eats up minutes.. but the quality of those 25+ minutes varies wildly, night to night and sometimes shift to shift. Bouchard is a f***ing disaster in his own zone with seemingly no inclination to learn how to defend properly. At all. The goalies have been hung out to dry, and while they have had some good moments, well.. they still can't make a save when it's necessary, and their game implodes under pressure.

All this after the f***ing empty off-season platitudes and bullshit spewed about being hungry and determined to win. The absolute gut punch is that f***ing moron GM is going to end up trading the 1st in a desperate bid to shore up what he hasn't been able to fix for years' worth of off-seasons, and we may well end up missing the playoffs anyways. Just such a terribly constructed roster, with a front office staffed by incompetent boobs from top to bottom.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Sooner or later he'll be gone. I sincerely hope (no, BEG) that the man who comes in here has a plan to focus on building the defense from the ground up. I don't care if we need to trade Nurse and Bouchard. This f***ing mess on the back end needs to be fixed or else McDavid and Draisaitl are going to start packing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
exact same defense and goaltending that won 50 games last year

this is mostly on Woody's revamped "system" that would make Dallas Eakins blush

With McDavid scoring at a Gretzky like pace and a PP clicking at a historic pace.

Allowing the D and goaltending to stay as is was like allowing a ticking time bomb to keep going, I think it’s just blown up in this organization’s face fully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad