Player Discussion Fire Dustin Schwartz

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Him & McDavid are probably disc-golf buddies so as long as McDavid says so, he ain't going anywhere.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
‘but after adjusting his stance in the summer with former NHL goalie Manny Legace, Campbell felt good about his training camp, when he had a .971 save percentage in three preseason starts.

Legace played in the 2008 NHL All Star Game but was sent to the AHL by the St. Louis Blues in 2009.

“He calls it keeping my butt off higher rather than sitting down. When I'm sitting back I get small, and it showed in camp in how big I felt and I was just moving way more fluidly,” Campbell said of his work with Legace. “He's very knowledgeable and he's been there. It's cool because A; he helps my game, but also B; he's like a whole other mental coach where he shares experiences.”’

Look, I found us a potential hire. Mr Legace identified something a lot of us saw and fixed it one summer! Too bad we are saddled with Schwartz for the next 30+ years

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
For all the love Lowetide gets for being a “forward thinker” from some on here, he sure seems obtuse about goalie coaching. Schwartzy came up today and the guy said that basically “we can’t know if he’s doing a bad job or not and since the org is keeping him around through all the coaches, he must be good”.

Wtf? Is Dustin Schwartz literally god now?

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
For all the love Lowetide gets for being a “forward thinker” from some on here, he sure seems obtuse about goalie coaching. Schwartzy came up today and the guy said that basically “we can’t know if he’s doing a bad job or not and since the org is keeping him around through all the coaches, he must be good”.

Not arguing but we did see skinner get nominated for a calder and made a western final with a koski/smith tandem under him. I don’t think there’s a goalie coach alive that can make JC play right. I’d like to see a veteran goalie not named Smith to share their thoughts on him. Maybe swing back around this offseason and make decisions based on this season in its entirety.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not arguing but we did see skinner get nominated for a calder and made a western final with a koski/smith tandem under him. I don’t think there’s a goalie coach alive that can make JC play right. I’d like to see a veteran goalie not named Smith to share their thoughts on him. Maybe swing back around this offseason and make decisions based on this season in its entirety.

Koskinen wasn’t great under Schwartz and had a notoriously bad glove hand that got worse with time. Talbot regressed after one good year. Smith went for outside help after stinking it up under Schwartz. There are a multitude of other goalies to add to the graveyard. The only one that seems to do okay with him is Skinner, and is that enough of a shining example? He’s also had plenty of rough patches here as well. It’s not like Carter Hart has exceeded expectations in Philly with Schwartz as his summer tutor.

Schwartz hasn’t taken a bunch of nobodies and turned them into stars, it’s not like he’s Sean Burke or anything. Time to move on.

Reactions: yukoner88

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Koskinen wasn’t great under Schwartz and had a notoriously bad glove hand that got worse with time. Talbot regressed after one good year. Smith went for outside help after stinking it up under Schwartz. There are a multitude of other goalies to add to the graveyard. The only one that seems to do okay with him is Skinner, and is that enough of a shining example? He’s also had plenty of rough patches here as well. It’s not like Carter Hart has exceeded expectations in Philly with Schwartz as his summer tutor.

Schwartz hasn’t taken a bunch of nobodies and turned them into stars, it’s not like he’s Sean Burke or anything. Time to move on.

I agree he’s no Burke but don’t forget when talbot was here Schwartz wasn’t the only goalie coach. It was tandem coaching.

Edit: again I’m not trying to argue your point especially koski but to be honest I truly believe koski was because of koski. I don’t believe Dustin is to blame.

The other coach I was thinking of is now our AHL goalie coach Sylvain Rodrigue. He and Dustin made up our goalie department together. For a short period of time I think Sylvain may have been pulling double duty but could be wrong. All I do know is at one point in time they shared the responsibility.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It's very tough to gauge.

Fans usually want their pound of flesh so Schwartz is an easy target. The results aren't there.

But what goes into an underperforming coach? Can we really say that all the elements around Schwartz were good but that he was the weak link? I can't see that

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
How is he still here a week later? The coach and assistant coach are gone but not the goalie coach?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
How is he still here a week later? The coach and assistant coach are gone but not the goalie coach?
Married to Katz's niece I believe that's why he's probably still around. Short of doing something truly horrible, dude is basically immune to getting fired at this point. lol

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Married to Katz's niece I believe that's why he's probably still around. Short of doing something truly horrible, dude is basically immune to getting fired at this point. lol
I've heard this rumor and Gregor had a meltdown about how untrue it is. Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Any day now.

Fans usually want their pound of flesh so Schwartz is an easy target. The results aren't there.

But what goes into an underperforming coach? Can we really say that all the elements around Schwartz were good but that he was the weak link? I can't see that

I dunno... I feel like if every goalie has regressed beyond year 2 playing for you that at some point that's a good indication that you're probably trash at your job.

Reactions: WEMCHUD

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Outside his rookie year and final year in Edmonton Dubnyk was good the entire time here really and I'd suggest he played behind even worse defense than most of the goalies since 2015.

3 good years pissed away because MacT thought he was smarter than everyone and that the solutions were Ference, Belov, Nikitin and the swarm.
Man, if 25-30 year old Dubnyk was the one here now in Skinner’s spot, we’d be set in goal.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

You have to draw the line somewhere, that's the thing. There needs to be accountability, or who's to say it wasn't woody, goaltending was the weak link. Not Holland, the players didn't play a good system, woody was the weak link. Not upper management, owner keeps meddling and he's the weak link.

Anyone, anywhere, along the whole pipeline, can pass the buck elsewhere and point to some other weak link.

The sum of the parts cannot be greater than the whole, ergo the parts need to be changed.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm fully convinced he'd be retained as goalie coach behind bars.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

f*** sakes, promote home from some useless title then, and bring in someone who doesn't suck

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Keep him employed, just do the complete opposite of what he says and we'll have an army of Dom Hasek clones
I started doing that with a family member who I love and respect but they kept leading me astray. I started doing the opposite of their advice and it's really good advice now

I've heard this rumor and Gregor had a meltdown about how untrue it is. Has this been confirmed anywhere?
All these media guys seem to meltdown when you bring up Schultz. He must leak them lots of info

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Jack's issues are all in between the ears, one wonders if Essensa in Boston, or Ranford in LA, or Burke in Vegas could have helped Campbell with the pressures of playing in the NHL. Guys that actually played at the highest level in this League would probably know a thing or two about that. Schwartz... not so much, he could probably help Campbell with the stresses of Finals week at the U of A though...

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Please get someone good for goalie coach. So obvious. Please Please.

Need a better goalie but no point if we don't get a top coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Straight hf rumour. Never saw anything anywhere about this ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad