Player Discussion Fire Dustin Schwartz

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
How does this guy survive all these coaching changes we've had over the last 8 years? His goalies have all regressed under his keen eye. He must have dirt on Katz

Reactions: WEMCHUD

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
How does this guy survive all these coaching changes we've had over the last 8 years? His goalies have all regressed under his keen eye. He must have dirt on Katz
Oh no, the media people have all assured me that every goalie has had CAREER best season with the oilers under his tutelage. They seem to ignore the fact those career best seasons are typically in their first season or two with the team, and then in season 3 and beyond, they all mysteriously have their numbers tank and start having similar habits present in their game (allowing goal on first five shots against, weak glove hands)

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I swear Schwartz has to be the luckiest man on the team! But we’ve seen this before when new coaches were brought in but then assistant coaches Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith were never fired because the GM at the time Kevin Lowe would not fire members of the old boys club! We’re seeing this again with Schwartz and the appointment of Paul Coffey as an assistant coach! :rolleyes:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
All I know is they should hire Sean Burke & give him any job title they have to for it to be a big promotion that Vegas can't stop.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
All I know is they should hire Sean Burke & give him any job title they have to for it to be a big promotion that Vegas can't stop.

It doesn't work that way.

If Burke is under contract Vegas can stop him from going to any other team. Period.

Generally, a team will allow someone to move to another team if it's an obvious promotion - that is they'll allow an assistant coach to become a head coach somewhere else. But that's purely as a courtesy.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Schwartzy once the media finally starts blaming him for goalies looking like shite here in 20 years:

but-i-dont-even-work-here-not-my-problem.gif

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
A true GOAT in the Oilers franchise.

He will no longer take the credit of shitty goalies on the decline he was saddled with years prior!

First name on the cup.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we're going to shit on the guy when our goalies suck, maybe we should give him a tiny bit of credit when they play well?
Not only that, but whatever Skinner's status is should be how we judge Schwartz too, since Skinner is the only goalie we've had that Schwartz has developed.

Although we can ask why Campbell couldn't bounce back. Maybe it's on Campbell but it's still a fair question to put on Schwartz too

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
On a more serious note, Schwartz was a goaltending consultant for the Oil Kings during the Memorial Cup win in 2014. He's probably a lot smarter coach than we (and I) would like to give him credit for.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Huge congrats to Schwartzy for possibly being an average goalie coach instead of being an active detriment to the team.

I'll heap praise on the guy when he can make suspect goalies better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad