Player Discussion Fire Dustin Schwartz

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yes another Fire ___ thread. But I think all Oilers fans can agree that no matter what our Stanley Cup winning management/coaching/roster combo is, Dustin Schwartz will not be part of the solution. This guy has made goalies worse here without fail many of whom like Dubnyk/Cam/Brossoit go on to bounce back with other orgs. Even Koskinen was a solid serviceable albeit overpaid goaltender his first 2 years before becoming inevitably afflicted by Dustin Schwartz disease and falling apart the last 2 years. Heck he's not even limited to damage within the Oilers org, he caused Carter Hart's implosion the past 2 years too. The only goalie who has show any signs of improved gameplay during his Oilers tenure was 2020-21 Mike Smith and that's the guy we know does his own maverick thing and probably lets Schwartz's words go in one ear and out the other.

Dustin Schwartz is a problem folks. Has been for a decade. Get rid of patient zero before he infects Skinner or whoever we bring in to replace Smithkonen too.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I am curious if the oilers are concerned about Skinner

6-6 with a .913 save %

I liked what little I saw
Skinner is fine I'm more than willing to give him a shot. What I'm not okay with is Dustin Schwartz working with him. Schwartz turned Cam from a solid reliable starter into the dude who lets in every first shot, got replaced by Smithkonen, and got fixed as soon as he left Schwartz's grasp. He turned one of the most promising goalie prospects in recent memory in Carter Hart who had a strong first 2 years into the mess who struggles to reach 0.900 he is today. If we're gonna run Skinner as a 1A/1B option he needs to be put in the best environment possible to succeed and Dustin Schwartz can not be part of said environment in any capacity.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Leafs just fired their goalie coach. Dubas is hardcore into analytics and I'm sure he'll make a solid hire.

Not holding my breath in Kenny "I trust my gut" Holland.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
How do analytics help you hire a goalie coach?

You can look at the analytics of the goalies that a coach has been involved with and ascertain if there has been an improvement or have they gotten worse over time evaluating the metrics.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Is he seriously still here?

1-photo-u1

Reactions: oilers'72

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Maybe he has nudes of Holland or something lol. But no I absolutely agree. Both Koskinen and Smith are notorious for having bad timing on shots and playing deep in the net. Koskinen has a crappy glove side and he's like 6'6" but plays like he's 5'10". These have been issues for years and Schwartz has still kept his job.
Smith's .923 in 20/21 was his best save % since 2012.

Skinner has improved year over year under Dustin Schwartz.

Its not like the Oilers have went out and spent big assets on a proven starter in the last ten years only to have him falter. They have generally spent later picks and went after back ups and old guys for their netminding needs.

I see the OP blaming Dubnyk on Schwartz but, Devan was traded away before Schwartz was even hired.

Maybe Dubnyk or Talbot would have recovered here but Oilers management was quick to throw them under the bus and trade them.

The highest pick the Oilers have used on a goalie since 2004 was a 2nd rounder, on Oilers Goalie Consultant Sylvain Rodrigue's son. Who isn't tracking well so far.

Maybe Slyvain is the problem?

I tend to lean towards upper management being the problem, they are responsible for most of the Oilers problems over the years.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Smith's .923 in 20/21 was his best save % since 2012.

Skinner has improved year over year under Dustin Schwartz.

Its not like the Oilers have went out and spent big assets on a proven starter in the last ten years only to have him falter. They have generally spent later picks and went after back ups and old guys for their netminding needs.

I see the OP blaming Dubnyk on Schwartz but, Devan was traded away before Schwartz was even hired.

Maybe Dubnyk or Talbot would have recovered here but Oilers management was quick to throw them under the bus and trade them.

The highest pick the Oilers have used on a goalie since 2004 was a 2nd rounder, on Oilers Goalie Consultant Sylvain Rodrigue's son. Who isn't tracking well so far.

Maybe Slyvain is the problem?

I tend to lean towards upper management being the problem, they are responsible for most of the Oilers problems over the years.
It’s also well known that Schwartz didn’t work with Smith in the off-season before the 20/21 season. So if anything Smith doing so well that season is another strike against him.
giving him credit for Skinner going from a WHL stud to a AHL stud is like giving me credit for my kid growing taller over the years. Skinner is how many years post draft and we still dont really know if he’s going to be a NHL goalie or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It’s also well known that Schwartz didn’t work with Smith in the off-season before the 20/21 season. So if anything Smith doing so well that season is another strike against him.
giving him credit for Skinner going from a WHL stud to a AHL stud is like giving me credit for my kid growing taller over the years. Skinner is how many years post draft and we still dont really know if he’s going to be a NHL goalie or not.
And while Skinner has talked about Schwartz he also talked a lot about Rodrigue who was the goalie coach in Bakersfield. So who really knows which goalie coach has had more of an impact on him.

Reactions: nabob

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Schwartz has somehow outlasted all of:

Eakins
Nelson
McLellan
Hitchcock
Tippet

I've never quite understood the infinite leash he's always had.

Tippet should have an asterisk because the change isn't fully over yet. When Woody came in, only him and Mans came. In the summer when they get hired on full time, they will have an opportunity to fully review their coaching staff and make a final decision on who they like and which of their own guys they want to bring in. I suspect that if Woody prefers Rodrigue over Schwartz, then he is out of here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad