Finnish Top Prospects part II

hockeypoika

Aug 27, 2015
How would u describe Puistola? He seems to be a good goal scorer according to C-junior and Pohjola-camp stats.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kuokkanen has looked really solid aside from the goals too. Not very flashy but seems to be in the right place all the time. Strong in front of the net too.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Kuokkanen lost weight and got 5 cm shorter? :laugh:

Suddenly on elite prospects he's only 5'11, I thought he was way taller.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Any news on Tarmo Reunanen's recovery? This year has been a huge setback for him.

Edit. Just noticed he returned for TPS U20's first playoff game yesterday. 19:04 ice time.

Last edited:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Hi Guys - i just saw results u-18 Finland beat Russia 4-3 and Finland last goal scored by
Tolvanen (Kuznetsov, Lobanov) - who are those guys who like Barkov sas russian names? i just did not saw them at roster before tournament

Crumb

Mar 8, 2012
Hi Guys - i just saw results u-18 Finland beat Russia 4-3 and Finland last goal scored by
Tolvanen (Kuznetsov, Lobanov) - who are those guys who like Barkov sas russian names? i just did not saw them at roster before tournament
Finland last goal was assisted by Jesse Puljujärvi and Aapeli Räsänen. Kuznetsov and Lobanov are russian and assisted their first goal.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Any opinions about the 2017 draft? How would you rank Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Välimäki, Vaakanainen, Salo, Kotkansalo, Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Luukkonen, Oksanen, Ikonen, Nyman, Heponiemi, Räsänen, Pajuniemi, Lehtinen, Moilanen...

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Kasperi Simontaival made 12+7 on nine games during 2002-borns tournament. Team is unofficial national team. He have played few games on Tappara C-juniors.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Any opinions about the 2017 draft? How would you rank Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Välimäki, Vaakanainen, Salo, Kotkansalo, Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Luukkonen, Oksanen, Ikonen, Nyman, Heponiemi, Räsänen, Pajuniemi, Lehtinen, Moilanen...

There are many good defensemen here, but I'm starting to think that Heiskanen and Jokiharju may have the most upside among those who played in Finnish leagues this season. Heiskanen was very reliable in the A-juniors: smart and precisive with the puck, has a quick stick to intercept plays, and is a smooth skater. Didn't see Jokiharju as much this season, but he was also very good offensively, though not quite at the same level defensively. Vaakanainen is pretty impressive, but it would be nice if he played with more of an edge in the defensive zone. Vaakanainen might be currently the best Finnish D for 2017 draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if Heiskanen or Jokiharju ends up being the best in the long term. Salo and Kotkansalo are both solid, Kotkansalo has ability at both ends and is a pretty good skater.

Among forwards, I think Vesalainen has the best package since he's big, strong, skates well and has developed a lot this season as a two-way player. There are a lot of smaller players in the -99 age-group - Tolvanen is a very good goal-scorer, a lot will depend on how he develops in other aspects of the game. Oksanen is skilled but not great without the puck and lacks physicality in battles. Of the other forwards you mentioned, I like Ikonen and Heponiemi most. Moilanen has good speed, works hard and is reliable (played regularly on PK for Jokerit U20), however, his offensive skills aren't really special IMO.

Luukkonen and Lehtinen are the top goalies I think. Plus Daniel Lebedeff has already played a few games in the USHL and won three of them, so he could be another goalie to keep an eye on.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
There are many good defensemen here, but I'm starting to think that Heiskanen and Jokiharju may have the most upside among those who played in Finnish leagues this season. Heiskanen was very reliable in the A-juniors: smart and precisive with the puck, has a quick stick to intercept plays, and is a smooth skater. Didn't see Jokiharju as much this season, but he was also very good offensively, though not quite at the same level defensively. Vaakanainen is pretty impressive, but it would be nice if he played with more of an edge in the defensive zone. Vaakanainen might be currently the best Finnish D for 2017 draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if Heiskanen or Jokiharju ends up being the best in the long term. Salo and Kotkansalo are both solid, Kotkansalo has ability at both ends and is a pretty good skater.
If we look at skating, puck handling and offensive vision, Heiskanen and Jokiharju are certainly at least as talented as Vaakanainen or Välimäki. If we look at these defensemen in all aspects of the game, I'd probably pick Välimäki as the top guy right now. That being said, it's not easy to rank these guys this early.

Interesting to see how the following duels play out during the next 14 months before the 2017 draft, seems pretty close right now:

Välimäki vs. Vaakanainen
Heiskanen vs. Jokiharju
Kotkansalo vs. Salo

Among forwards, I think Vesalainen has the best package since he's big, strong, skates well and has developed a lot this season as a two-way player. There are a lot of smaller players in the -99 age-group - Tolvanen is a very good goal-scorer, a lot will depend on how he develops in other aspects of the game. Oksanen is skilled but not great without the puck and lacks physicality in battles. Of the other forwards you mentioned, I like Ikonen and Heponiemi most. Moilanen has good speed, works hard and is reliable (played regularly on PK for Jokerit U20), however, his offensive skills aren't really special IMO.
Can't say that I disagree with anything you mention here. Moilanen is a good junior player, but his speed and strong footwork will be a lesser weapon once he moves up to play with men. Probably not growing much anymore either.

Luukkonen and Lehtinen are the top goalies I think. Plus Daniel Lebedeff has already played a few games in the USHL and won three of them, so he could be another goalie to keep an eye on.
Luukkonen has taken a big step forward during the last 3-4 months and he has that huge frame that everyone is looking for in a netminder right now. Would be interesting to know how real NHL scouts rank him right now among Finns eligible for the 2017 draft. Could he be one of the first Finns off the board next year?

I've disregarded Lebedeff entirely, thanks for mentioning him. Have to check him out at some point if possible.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

I don't know about Välimäki.. I think right now i see him as a bit lesser version of Määttä. I have to admit i haven't seen him play that much. Vaakanainen to me looks more promising.

By the way, how about Tarmo Reunanen, do you guys think he will be drafted? I know if he had not been injured i would assume he would be a lock for the draft.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Its early but from 2002 borns i think Kasperi Simontaival(http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=397010) and Ruben Rafkin would be names to watch. Simontaival got 12+5 for nine games on 2002 selects tournament, which Finland won. One porster from Jatkoaika told Rafkin have been played part of his season with injured wrist and he havent told anybody and have played with 2001-borns. Finnish goalie Joonas Valtonens stats from the selects tournament are good also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad