Finnish Top Prospects part II

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
Aleksi Saarela healthy scratch saturday. I hope he gets his chance, he managed to get in scoring chances but didn´t score. 4 games is not a really chance to show, Dufva wake up.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
21 year old goalie Ville Kolppanen has had an amazing start for this season, shutout tonight:

4 games played, 3 wins 94.85%,1,76 gaa on a terrible team. Could be next undrafted finnish star goalie.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Hope someone (Tormentor?) could make a list of all notable prospects by now like it was in the last thread (about years 1995-2001)

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Hope someone (Tormentor?) could make a list of all notable prospects by now like it was in the last thread (about years 1995-2001)

And tell how their seasons have started. Haven't been able to watch the games so much This season.

Thanks in advance

Edit. Saw that Kristian Vesalainen played in HIFK's U20 lineup last weekend. Very impressive for -99 born

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I don't personally know enough about the younger age groups to make a list of them. I have some idea about the 96's, 97's and 98's, but for the most part my overview on them isn't up-to-date since the season just started.

Edit. Saw that Kristian Vesalainen played in HIFK's U20 lineup last weekend. Very impressive for -99 born
Are you sure it wasn't Henrik Vesalainen?

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I don't personally know enough about the younger age groups to make a list of them. I have some idea about the 96's, 97's and 98's, but for the most part my overview on them isn't up-to-date since the season just started.

Are you sure it wasn't Henrik Vesalainen?

Actually I'm not :D I Saw only the surname

But Vesalainen was listed as a forward in that game. Was so excited that -99 born was playing already in U20

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
I'm just wondering if there were any finnish defensman, who regulary play in the NHL as a teenager?...Now there are good chances that Maatta and Ristolainen will stay for all season...Pitkanen and Numminen were 20 years old...

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Has anyone watched forward Sebastian Aho of Karpat play this season? He seems to have very good stats (13 gp 6G 14A if I'm reading the junior game summaries correctly). He's on a very high offense team with high scoring players but that's still very good for a -97 born player. He also has decent enough size at 180cm, 75kg.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Has anyone watched forward Sebastian Aho of Karpat play this season? He seems to have very good stats (13 gp 6G 14A if I'm reading the junior game summaries correctly). He's on a very high offense team with high scoring players but that's still very good for a -97 born player. He also has decent enough size at 180cm, 75kg.

I have seen him playing once this season, and Aho's a very good player. His shot is very good and he has knack for being at the right place at the right time. He has some strong puck skills and passing abilities to go along with it, and he also skates well. There's a lot to like in this player. Other strong players among the 1997's who play jr. A hockey include: Vili Saarijärvi (Kärpät) & Sami Tavernier (HIFK). Both have played well from what I have seen.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
I have seen him playing once this season, and Aho's a very good player. His shot is very good and he has knack for being at the right place at the right time. He has some strong puck skills and passing abilities to go along with it, and he also skates well. There's a lot to like in this player. Other strong players among the 1997's who play jr. A hockey include: Vili Saarijärvi (Kärpät) & Sami Tavernier (HIFK). Both have played well from what I have seen.

How tall is he(Aho)? Elitepros say 178cm, but is that old information?
How has Puljujärvi played?
Also, what is the story of Tavernier? What kind of a player is he?

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
How tall is he(Aho)? Elitepros say 178cm, but is that old information?
How has Puljujärvi played?
Also, what is the story of Tavernier? What kind of a player is he?

I would say that he's taller than that, but not much. Maybe 180 cm or a bit taller. Puljujärvi didn't play when I saw Kärpät because of injury.

Tavernier has been really good this year. I have seen almost all his team's home games. He's really skilled with the puck and he protects the puck well, too. He's skating is powerful and his stride is very smooth. He can make high difficult passes in the offensive zone. I think his defensive play could use some work, but it will improve. His positioning is solid, though. He already has had good ice-time in the jr. A. He has been almost in all of my viewings one of the most noticeable players.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I don't think Aho is 180cm tall, he looks shorter than that. Offensively he's a pretty talented player. Lack of size and grit is a concern when thinking of his NHL chances.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
I would like to get more information about Joni Nikko and Saku Mäenalanen. Strenghts and weaknesses? Where they might end up playing in the future?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I would like to get more information about Joni Nikko and Saku Mäenalanen. Strenghts and weaknesses? Where they might end up playing in the future?

Both are big wingers with decent hands and scoring touch.

Mäenalainen looks like he could have some kind of NHL-career but it's too early to say. Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Both are big wingers with decent hands and scoring touch.

Mäenalainen looks like he could have some kind of NHL-career but it's too early to say. Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot.

Thanks for this. Looking forward to see them in the WJC.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Any info on Ahti Oksanen? 20 year old 191cm,93kg, Former Espoo Blues defenceman playing on Boston Uni. in NCAA.

Had amazing season with Blues A before leaving to North America with 14+25=39 +42 in 47 games

He has 1+6=7 points in 4 games and he leads NCAA in defenceman scoring. Also best scorer on his team.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
What do you all think about Finland's prospect depth in 2015 draft? I would say it looks very good especially for the forwards:

Aleksi Saarela
Julius Nättinen
Mikko Rantanen
Roope Hintz

There is still over 1,5 years before the draft but aren't all of these very promising prospects? Perhaps even potential first rounders?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What's the status of Saarala, really? Bad concussion history? Career in jeopardy?

Hope not. But it doesn't look good by the sound of it...

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
From what I have heard, Saarela's latest injury (the one that kept him out of the U18 tournament) was not a head injury. He has had a lot of bad luck lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad