Finnish Top Prospects part II

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Half season top 10 draft eligible Finns for 2016 draft?

Off the top of my head:

1. Laine
2. Puljujärvi
3. Juolevi
4. Niemeläinen
5. Vehviläinen
6. Repo
7. Borgström
8. Björkqvist
9. Somppi
10. Tuulola

I may have forgotten someone, but this is my top 10. Although, personally I would pick Puljujärvi before Laine, but I think Laine has had a better season thus far.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Interesting article on Finnish players, who have not done their military service yet.

In Finnish but in the end there is a list of players who need to spend 6-12 months in the Finnish Defense Forces before they turn 29.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/art-1454033264319.html

Athletes can slice the military service into several periods and typically get lots of leaves for training and games. However, this will take some time from the players.

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
iltasanomat said:
Karinkannan työhön kuuluu käydä muistuttamassa nuoria urheilijoita kansalaisvelvollisuuden suorittamisesta.

"Karinkanta's job is to remind young athletes of their civic duty (military service)"

Publicly in news papers? Feels like a breach of privacy..

from that list atleast juolevi is too young to even have had his conscription call-up yet.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Best to do your military service as late as possible if you're a hockey player with ambitions for the NHL. When you're 19-23 I see no point in slowing down and jeopardizing one's shot in the NHL by playing war in the forest, there's many better things to do for an NHL prospect in the offseason.

Also it gets easier if you happen to make a name for yourself in the NHL before completing your service. I doubt Mikko Koivu had a very rough time, some shooting practice with an RK, then some pictures with the officers, and back home :laugh:

Or be like OJ and skip the whole shebang :popcorn:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
If only I had had the chance to do it the OJ way... Worst nine months of my life. The whole article was permeated by this nationalistic military nonsense.

Hockey players as a bunch are not the most radical thinkers, but it would be pretty great to see someone select non-military service instead of the regular ******** (if they can't do it the OJ way). They won't, of course, since the civilian service is so freaking long and stigmatizing compared to the military service.

That said, I wish there was a way to separate sports and politics and never let them into contact with each other, but sadly it's not possible in this world we live in.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My take:

1. Laine
2. Puljujärvi
3. Juolevi
4. Niemeläinen
5. Repo
6. E.Tuulola
7. Vehviläinen
8. Björkqvist
9. Felixson
10. Somppi

---

Military service... for those who have already crossed over, my recommendation is to do it once the spot in the show has been secured. No point in letting it hamper the summer training when one is still vying for a spot in the camp.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
My take:

1. Laine
2. Puljujärvi
3. Juolevi
4. Niemeläinen
5. Somppi
6. Tuulola
7. Borgstörm
8. Kuokkanen
9. Björkqvist
10. Mäkinen

I saw couple of really good games from Tarmo Reunanen last season but I just can't put him into top 10 anymore due to his long injury.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
CaDJ9RuXEAA3T1y.png

Found this on twitter. PPG before draft year in A-jrs.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Found this on twitter. PPG before draft year in A-jrs.
Impressive, but for clarity, it's best remind people it's quite irrelevant for 2016. As it literally describes the season before. Oksanen isn't eligible 'til 2017.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Can anyone here describe Oksanen as a player (Strengths/weaknesses)? How much of his scoring is a byproduct of getting big minutes on a good team?

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
U18 team seems very good and some top notch talent there.

Last edited:

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
of which:

Kärpät 16
JYP 11
Jokerit 8
HIFK 7
KalPa 6
TPS 6
Tappara 5
Lukko 4
Pelicans 4
KJT 4
SaiPa 4
KooKoo 4
Ilves 3
Blues 3
Ässät 3
TuTo 2
Hokki 2
Jukurit 2
HPK 2
HTUHC 1
Jeppis 1
Blues EPS 1
Sport 1
PJK 1
Jokipojat 1

Last edited:

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
If only I had had the chance to do it the OJ way...

You could've gone to a doctor too..

Interesting comment there about taking the players to service - 'even for a little time'? Considering that all Finns are supposed to be equal, I find it quite sad that even the officers are happy to ignore that when it comes to NHL players.

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
Impressive, but for clarity, it's best remind people it's quite irrelevant for 2016. As it literally describes the season before. Oksanen isn't eligible 'til 2017.

Also, some of those players were playing mostly in Liiga by that time! (Puljujärvi, Saarela + Barkov who only managed 5p in 5gp that year in A)

It's nice to see prospects coming from smaller teams, like Jukurit and KooKoo in the 2000 and 2001 groups.

KJT caught my eye - 4 players is quite impressive! Any ideas on who is the most succesful player from KJT/Haukat/Shakers/TuusKi? Somervuori?

Also notable - Blues only 3 (+1 EPS) - is that dynasty over?

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Also notable - Blues only 3 (+1 EPS) - is that dynasty over?

I've seen Blues C2-juniors (2001's) a couple of times this season and to me it doesn't seem to be a strong team if compared to some other age-groups that Blues has had. At least there's not as much high-end talent, though it has to be mentioned that Miettinen, Haarti and Mäkinen (Blues Ak) have been playing a year up with 2000's.

Also, there aren't any players from Blues in the U16 team that will play at the Youth Olympic Games. Konsta Hirvonen did start the season with Blues but switched to HIFK some time ago. He's a solid player among Finnish 2000's IMO.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Best to do your military service as late as possible if you're a hockey player with ambitions for the NHL. When you're 19-23 I see no point in slowing down and jeopardizing one's shot in the NHL by playing war in the forest, there's many better things to do for an NHL prospect in the offseason.

Also it gets easier if you happen to make a name for yourself in the NHL before completing your service. I doubt Mikko Koivu had a very rough time, some shooting practice with an RK, then some pictures with the officers, and back home :laugh:

Or be like OJ and skip the whole shebang :popcorn:

Didn't the equal rights ombudsman call them out for this? The Mikko Koivu service days are over, these kids will actually have to be kaminavahti, sleep in the tent and do it a harder way..

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Can anyone here describe Oksanen as a player (Strengths/weaknesses)?
Pretty good vision, hands and shot. Not a strong skater, soft on the puck and has virtually no physical element in his game. Just my opinion, but I think he's overrated.

How much of his scoring is a byproduct of getting big minutes on a good team?
Playing on the same line and PP unit with Björkqvist certainly doesn't hurt. Niemelä was also part of that line before he moved up to play with men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad