Finnish Top Prospects part II

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Early as hell but Aatu Räty is a name to keep an eye on from the 2002 age group. Late birthday so 2021 draft year :laugh:

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Any info on Henrik Tikkanen? Huge late 00 born goalie Was named the MVP of CSM.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=395515

Has excellent reactions and quick post-to-post movement. Tikkanen clearly gained confidence as the season went on and performed at a high level after moving to HIFK. He's really athletic especially for someone of his size. Generally, there seems to be a bunch of fairly promising goalies in 2000 age-group.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
I've been to WSI tournament in Bratislava and I confess I really liked from 02 birthyear forward Kasper Simontaival and especially D-man Kapser Puutio.

Oh you were watching. Coud you tell how kind of players they are? As I mentioned last page, Simontaival made 12 goals on nine games. And how Rafkin played?

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Oh you were watching. Coud you tell how kind of players they are? As I mentioned last page, Simontaival made 12 goals on nine games. And how Rafkin played?

I wasn't at World Selects but have seen Rafkin multiple times with TPS 01's. A very confident two-way defenseman, can rush the puck up the ice, crisp long-range passes, good mobility and a hard point shot. Plus plays with a mean streak in the defensive zone, can separate opponents away from the puck. An interesting prospect, could develop into a player in the next years.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I don't know about Välimäki.. I think right now i see him as a bit lesser version of Määttä. I have to admit i haven't seen him play that much. Vaakanainen to me looks more promising.
Vaakanainen is a better skater than Välimäki, but Välimäki is better at playing the body, and stronger in puck battles and along the boards. Otherwise these two play a rather similar game. I think it's a matter of taste which one you prefer as a prospect at the moment.

Määttä played at the U18 World Championships when he was 16 years and 8 months old. He was better at that age than both Vaakanainen and Välimäki at 17 years and some months old.

By the way, how about Tarmo Reunanen, do you guys think he will be drafted? I know if he had not been injured i would assume he would be a lock for the draft.
I wouldn't draft him and I felt this way even before he got injured. The most overrated Finnish prospect in this year's draft with Aapeli Räsänen and Otto Mäkinen.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I wasn't at World Selects but have seen Rafkin multiple times with TPS 01's. A very confident two-way defenseman, can rush the puck up the ice, crisp long-range passes, good mobility and a hard point shot. Plus plays with a mean streak in the defensive zone, can separate opponents away from the puck. An interesting prospect, could develop into a player in the next years.

Is he related to the "pizzaking" Denis Rafkin?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I wouldn't draft him and I felt this way even before he got injured. The most overrated Finnish prospect in this year's draft with Aapeli Räsänen and Otto Mäkinen.

Agree about Reunanen and Mäkinen, but Räsänen seems to be tier above those guys. He has been a very good two-way center against his peers in the international level whenever I have seen him. He is not particularly flashy or dynamic, but he does the right things. He seems to have a good hockey sense, which the most important thing in a prospect. He can still work on his skating and strength, which seem to be his weaknesses at the moment. I could see him taking the long route to NHL someday. Well worth a mid-late round pick.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Agree about Reunanen and Mäkinen, but Räsänen seems to be tier above those guys. He has been a very good two-way center against his peers in the international level whenever I have seen him. He is not particularly flashy or dynamic, but he does the right things. He seems to have a good hockey sense, which the most important thing in a prospect. He can still work on his skating and strength, which seem to be his weaknesses at the moment. I could see him taking the long route to NHL someday. Well worth a mid-late round pick.

Räsänen has good hockey sense, decent shot from the slot and some nose for the net. Unfortunately he's also a mediocre skater with slowish feet and has only modest puck handling skills. I don't see him as a draft prospect and my belief is that NHL teams see him the same way. Might eventually develop into a decent Liiga player, but I think that's his limit.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I don't think that Räsänen is special player in any way but I thought he played a lot better in national team than he played in Tappara. I think he was much more inside the game in U18 Championship and he held puck a lot more than he does in his own team. I also thought that he would be undrafted before than U18 World Championship but I do think that he has some assets that could make him late round pick.

He does have hockey sense, decent shot, fairly good playmaking abilites, will to play in both ends (even though defensive game IMO needs improvement) and he knows where to be in front of opponent's goal. There are players drafted with a lot weaker skill set. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if he would be undrafted.

Regarding Tarmo Reunanen, I saw few very good games from him around December 2014 and January 2015 but he was kinda meh in playoffs and in Ivan Hlinka. He is the kind of player who needs to shine in this level to have future in NHL. I saw few flashes last season but this season was very important for him. Unfortunately he missed most of it.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Räsänen has good hockey sense, decent shot from the slot and some nose for the net. Unfortunately he's also a mediocre skater with slowish feet and has only modest puck handling skills. I don't see him as a draft prospect and my belief is that NHL teams see him the same way. Might eventually develop into a decent Liiga player, but I think that's his limit.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying it's probable that he becomes an NHL player, but speed and hands can be worked on much easier than hockey sense. Most likely he will become a decent Liiga player, but I allow for a chance that he could become a bottom-six NHL player. The fact that he seems to do better (and not look out of place) with bigger talents than him bodes well for him. I think that might be part of the reason he looks better in a more structured and high-skilled environment like NT rather than the junior league.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Well, yeah, I'm not saying it's probable that he becomes an NHL player, but speed and hands can be worked on much easier than hockey sense. Most likely he will become a decent Liiga player, but I allow for a chance that he could become a bottom-six NHL player. The fact that he seems to do better (and not look out of place) with bigger talents than him bodes well for him. I think that might be part of the reason he looks better in a more structured and high-skilled environment like NT rather than the junior league.

He can still improve his speed, skating and hands but only marginally. No matter what, he's going to be less dynamic and less skilled than an average NHLer. I don't see Räsänen developing into a top level checker or grinder either, so NHL seems very far fetched in his case.

For the most part Räsänen did well while playing alongside more talented players, but it's good to remember that he's easily replaceable once this age group enters the U20 national team next season. Skill-wise Nättinen, Saarela and Borgström are several notches above him from centre forwards, and there's fierce competition even after these guys. Sort of a prelude to what he can expect once he enters the pro rinks.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He can still improve his speed, skating and hands but only marginally. No matter what, he's going to be less dynamic and less skilled than an average NHLer. I don't see Räsänen developing into a top level checker or grinder either, so NHL seems very far fetched in his case.

For the most part Räsänen did well while playing alongside more talented players, but it's good to remember that he's easily replaceable once this age group enters the U20 national team next season. Skill-wise Nättinen, Saarela and Borgström are several notches above him from centre forwards, and there's fierce competition even after these guys. Sort of a prelude to what he can expect once he enters the pro rinks.

You have good points. He definitely needs to improve constantly if he wants to play in the WJC already in 2017, although his skill set could be fine for a shutdown role in the fourth line. I definitely see some promise in him, but it remains to be seen if he develops enough to overcome his mediocrities; only the future can tell.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Couple of Finns picked in the USHL drafts

Phase 1

2nd round #17 Sioux City Sampo Ranta(tender)
10th Round #156 Bloomington Thunder Arttu Nevasaari

Phase 2

1st round #6 Chicago, Mikael Hakkarainen
1st round #9 Sioux Falls, Emil Oksanen
2nd round #25 Sioux Falls, Kasper Kotkansalo
6th round #102 Dubuque, Santeri Virtanen
7th round #103 Sioux City, Aapeli Rasanen
8th round #120 Omaha, Aleksi Peltonen
8th round #121 Omaha, Joona Koppanen
8th round #132 Dubuque, Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi
10th round #153 Omaha, Severi Isokangas
11th round #171 Muskegon, Aleksi Halme
12th round #188 Chicago, Jesper Kokkila
13th round #204 Chicago, Saku Vesterinen
18th round #279 Sioux City, Samuel Salonen

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
2002 born Ruben Rafkin, who was discussed earlier in the thread, will play next season for Selects Hockey at South Kent. It's the same program where the highly touted Norwegian 00 Mathias Emilio Pettersen played the past two seasons.

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
2002 born Ruben Rafkin, who was discussed earlier in the thread, will play next season for Selects Hockey at South Kent. It's the same program where the highly touted Norwegian 00 Mathias Emilio Pettersen played the past two seasons.

What is that program like? Do they take prospects in or can you just pay to get there or...?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
First camp roster for the U16 group (01-born)

G Juuso Ojala, Kärpät, 179 cm / 72 kg
G Erkki Raerinne, KalPa, 175 cm / 70 kg
G Riku Räihä, Tappara, 177 cm / 63 kg
G Eetu Uotinen, Pelicans, 172 cm / 58 kg

LD Joona Haarti, Blues, 177 cm / 78 kg
LD Santeri Hatakka, Jokerit, 181 cm / 72 kg
LD Aapo Holtinkoski, Kärpät, 175 cm / 65 kg
LD Mikko Kokkonen, Jukurit, 180 cm / 85 kg
LD Samu Koskenkorva, Kärpät, 174 cm / 67 kg
RD Kalle Loponen, Kärpät, 178cm / 78 kg
LD Mico Luoto, Jokerit, 175 cm / 75 kg
LD Oskari Oksanen, TPS, 175 cm / 67 kg
LD Iivari Räsänen, Tappara, 182 cm / 83 kg
RD Manu Räty, KooKoo, 184 cm / 70 kg

LW Leevi Aaltonen, KalPa, 174 cm / 63 kg
LW Rasmus Elo, Lukko, 178 cm / 70 kg
LW/C Kaapo Kakko, TPS, 180 cm / 65 kg
LW Aapo Kaskinen, TPS, 176 cm / 65 kg
LW Aleksi Käyrä, JYP, 174 cm / 64 kg
RW Rasmus Lahnaviik, Jokerit, 180 cm / 81 kg
LC Anton Lundell, HIFK, 177 cm / 60 kg
LW Veeti Miettinen, Blues, 164 cm / 54 kg
RW Wiljami Myllylä, Sport, 180 cm / 64 kg
LC Henri Nikkanen, JYP, 180 cm / 68 kg
RC Mikko Petman, Lukko, 182 cm / 83 kg
LW Patrik Puistola, Tappara, 178 cm / 61 kg
RW Aku Räty, Kärpät, 173 cm / 60 kg
LC Antti Saarela, Lukko, 173 cm / 67 kg
LW/C Tomas Totro, Jokerit, 174 cm / 65 kg

Heights/weights taken from Finhockey lineups from last season.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
My ranking of Finns for the 2016 NHL draft:
1. LW - Patrik Laine (Tappara)
2. RW - Jesse Puljujärvi (Kärpät)
3. LD - Olli Juolevi (London Knights)
4. LD - Markus Niemeläinen (Saginaw Spirit)
5. CE - Henrik Borgström (HIFK)
6. CE - Janne Kuokkanen (Kärpät)
7. CE - Otto Somppi (Halifax Mooseheads)
8. LW - Kasper Björkqvist (Blues)
9. LW - Otto Koivula (Ilves)
10. CE - Joona Koppanen (Ilves)
11. RW - Eetu Tuulola (HPK)
12. RW - Markus Nurmi (TPS)

For me the gap between Puljujärvi and Juolevi is narrower than what it is between Laine and Puljujärvi. Maybe Puljujärvi’s decision making and reading of the play matures over time, but at present I’m slightly concerned about it. He’s not among the smartest players on the ice when playing against men.

I was shocked how high Borgström and Kuokkanen were on McKenzie’s ranking, this must be a weak draft after the top guys. Artturi Lehkonen was twice the player in his draft year compared to Kuokkanen and he went 55th overall in 2013…

Borgström resembles young JM Aaltonen with his magical moves and creativity, but he’s not a well-rounded player. There’s a good reason why he wasn’t selected to the WJC team, he simply didn’t have the ability or the readiness to play at that level. This kid has a rather high upside, but he's a raw talent and there’s plenty of uncertainty about him ever reaching his full potential. Seems like a risky pick for the range where he’s predicted to go.

At the moment I’m not seeing obvious NHL upside in players like Räsänen, Mäkinen, Reunanen, Vehviläinen, Repo, Felixson, Hakkarainen or Kalapudas. Personally I’d try to look for other options in the later rounds.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Pretty solid draft 15 picks total:

2nd Winnipeg Jets: Patrik Laine (LW) Tappara
4th Edmonton Oilers: Jesse Puljujärvi (RW) Kärpät
5th Vancouver Canucks: Olli Juolevi (D) London Knights
23rd Florida Panthers: Henrik Borgström (C) HIFK U20
43rd Carolina Hurricanes: Janne Kuokkanen (C/LW) Kärpät
61st Pittsburgh Penguins: Kasper Björkqvist (LW) Blues U20
63rd Edmonton Oilers: Markus Niemeläinen (D) Saginaw Spirit
98th New York Rangers: Tarmo Reunanen (D) TPS U20
120th New York Islanders: Otto Koivula (LW) Ilves U20
135 Boston Bruins: Joona Koppanen (C) Ilves U20
151st Pittsburgh Penguins: Niclas Almari (D) Jokerit U20
153rd Edmonton Oilers: Aapeli Räsänen (C) Tappara U20
156th Calgary Flames: Eetu Tuulola (RW) HPK U20
163rd Ottawa Senators: Markus Nurmi (RW) TPS U20
206th Tampa Bay Lightning: Otto Somppi (C) Halifax Mooseheads

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
So not that surprisingly this was the first draft since 1996 (I remember that I had expectation for Jani Riihinen back then :) ) that not a single Finnish goalie was drafted. Last year it was rather close too.

This was also the first season in NHL since 2002-2003 that our goalies didn´t get a single vote in All-Star or Vezina voting. And it´s been about 6 or 7 years since Finnish goalie has established himself in starting role in NHL (Well I guess someone could argue that Rämö briefly was one).

From the last 11 drafts Ortio and Korpisalo are the ones with most games in NHL with ~30 games. From the undrafteds Raanta has established himself as midtier backup. I know its early to say about many of them, but the competition is hard and I struggle to see much potential in most of them. (I´m putting lot of hope in Saros :) )

I know that guys like Jukka Ropponen has talked about this for years and this wasn´t the moment that I woke up to these concerns. I know that the situation few years back when we had more than five starters in NHL wasn´t really "normal" situation. And yes we probably will have couple of goalies in NHL. And looking at the National team we really need those one or two. Still I have to say I´m rather concerned. The thing that many people still believe that we are some sort of superior goaltender factory is one of the most alarming things.

I guess you need to find something to complain. In other departments we are doing rather fine :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad