Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I'm more positive than disappointed by the decision to leave Ristolainen out. If you always say no to the invitation to represent your home country, why would you deserve to get it when it is the Olympics? Skill-wise he'd make the team, but Finland won't win or lose without him. This is a very logical decision and sends a message to other young players.
Same, I am happy they left him out. You can't always say no and then expect to get an invite to the best tournament.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I'm more positive than disappointed by the decision to leave Ristolainen out. If you always say no to the invitation to represent your home country, why would you deserve to get it when it is the Olympics? Skill-wise he'd make the team, but Finland won't win or lose without him. This is a very logical decision and sends a message to other young players.
Yeah, i don't think anyone here will miss Risto if he doesn't get selected for the Olympics. Obviously if Risto plays really well for the Flyers i think he'll get a call from Lehtinen but he is that type of a guy that he probably says no because they didn't invite him to this meeting.

Lundell, Pulju, Kakko and Tolvanen are fighting for the spots, they have 3-4 months to show that they belong to this team. Personally i feel like next season will be Kappo Kaako year, and he'll be on our Olympic squad.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
First of all, Ristolainen is not good enough for a leading role and he's not a master on the basics. Defending that is. He's not even better at defending than Hakanpää and others.
The thing is, I always felt he put to much focus on muscle and getting heavy, too heavy. He's not agile and he's not good enough following attacking forwards. There is no point discussing him. Even as a Finnish Flyers fan I´m sure this Ristolainen trade was nothing but a bad decision from the Flyers organization.
I would choose Topi Niemelä before Risto all day, every day. Smarter, mobile D and Topi is above average in most things.

We should not forget that Finland, besides Heiskanen, Lindell etc have a lot of D´s who can explode this upcoming season.
Välimäki.
Salo, underrated. Has been really good in SHL.
Heinola, mastermind in the offense. The kid is so calm and collected with the puck. He's a straight playmaker from his D position.
Jokiharju has always been really good representing Leijonat. Actually much better.
Vaakanainen, a player I would trust in a Finnish jersey. Very well rounded and could be a great bottom pair D. Just like Jokiharju, has been great in the Leijonat jersey at most levels.
Who knows if Juolevi can become something this year?
Oskari Laaksonen, I like his game a lot more than Ristolainens. Very good puckhandler as well and a righty.
Niemelä? You never know, young but still. Impressive talent and very smart. Jalonen if someone has shown you don't have to be an NHLer to win gold medals.
Niku?
Who knows, Saarijärvi perhaps? Detroit was not the best place to develop for him. Perhaps he has something more in him.
Vatanen.
You guys get the point, we do not loose that much with Ristolainen.
Besides these mentioned guys we have Hakanpää. Määttä was brilliant in this years WC. The list goes on.

It's Barkov and Aho who are the most important pieces in a gold winning team, that together with a great goalie and Jalonens organization and team chemistry.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Teräväinen-Aho-Puljujärvi
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Kapanen-Hintz-Tolvanen
Armia-Kotkaniemi-Kakko

Lundell (I love this kid but I feel like this roster is stacked and Lundell needs a bigger offensive role, more than a player like Kotkaniemi), Luostarinen, Kuokkanen, Granlund, Kupari, Ylönen, Kiviranta, Donskoi (if Kakko doesn´t take the next step this year I would choose Joonas),

Tolvanen playing in the PP instead of Pulju perhaps. Kapanen getting a big BP role together with Armia. Barkov covering a bit of Laines weaknesses. Puljujärvi making the first line well balanced and sound defensively. Kapanen and Hintz with a tons of speed with a sniper on the side. Kakko working on his shot and skating making the fourth line just as important as the first and third.

Heiskanen-Lindell
Heinola-Jokiharju
Välimäki-Laaksonen

Määttä, Niemelä, Hakanpää, Vatanen, Vaakanainen, Salo. I don´t know how to put together these D-pairs. Because I know Jalonen likes it L-R. But we are a bit thin on the right side for now.

Lankinen
Saros
Kähkönen
After Russias netminders these kids should be the second strongest lineup among goalies.

This roster with with Jalonens organization? Gold.
I know Canada and the US have more depth but I´m sure it would be Finland or Canada winning the gold in the end. Sweden just doesn't have a coach leading their men and I don't think they are near Finlands offense anymore. Russia are even with us. A bit better net minders, good offense but I actually don't know if they have the same depth anymore.

Mohni

Mar 18, 2014
You are really making a mountain out of a molehill.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008155508.html

Translation from the article with my not fluent English:

"- There is nothing going on in here. We have often invited Ristolainen to national team events and he has not come. We decided not to invite him to this event, but that doesn’t change anything. In the autumn we will go to see Ristolainen play, when we go to North America with Jukka Jalonen, comments GM Jere Lehtinen to Ilta-Sanomat.
According to Lehtinen, not being invited does not mean that Ristolainen will not be seen in next winter's Olympic tournament if NHL players are involved.
- By no means. This does not mean anything. We have seen games of Ristolainen with Jukka. In the autumn the games will continue normally and then we will go and see more of him, Lehtinen says.
- If and hopefully when NHL players are involved, players from outside of this invited group can still join the final team. Ristolainen belongs to this department."

Lehtinen uses the term "national team event" which I interpret meaning all possible events concerning the national team, not just tournaments. This, to me, includes events where people drink a cup coffee and a few PowerPoint slides are shown (like this event seems to be). Ristolainen probably has never shown up to these kind of events so this time they didn't even bother to send an invite. Maybe they should have, to not create this confusion.

Mohni

Mar 18, 2014
That's no confusion but a clear message, if you don't make yourself available for the lesser events don't expect to be selected for the major ones.
That is completely opposite of what I interpreted from the article. But that is only my interpretation.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think it's a warning intended only to Ristolainen, but to others as well. Finnish NHL players have been reluctant to make themselves available even for the World Championship events in recent years.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
Kakko-Barkov-Rantanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Puljujärvi
Granlund-Hintz-Armia
Kiviranta.Lundell-Kapanen
Kuokkanen

Heiskanen-Välimäki
Lindell-Vatanen
Nutivaara-Jokiharju
Mikkola

Saros
Rask

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Granlund will probably have the biggest role among forwards after Barkov, Aho and Rantanen. Laughable to even think he would be snubbed.

I like Granlund but on smaller ice I would not pick him. He was a great talent and I like his personality etc. But... He lacks intensity, strength and therefor he's not good enough as a center. I would even pick Lundell, Luostarinen and perhaps even Kuokkanen before him. Luostarinen for a bottom six center role, he's a good skater and takes his responsibility on ice. Lundell is as skilled as Granlund and will probably take big steps this fall.
As a winger then? Armia is a much better option for a bottom role, on top of that he´ actually underrated as hell. He can dangle, strong in the corners and works hard. Kakko and Puljujärvi could change places perhaps. Kakko delivers strength in the corners and he can force himself in front of the net. Granlund would offer Teräväinen and Aho exactly what? Nothing they already don't have? Granlund has some IQ but nothing above Ahos nor Teräväinens. Tolvanen is a better scorer than Granlund and Hintz is a better center than Granlund. Kapanen offers us counter attacking strength with his speed, just as Hintz. They can beat their guy, Granlund can't.
Barkov is a machine, playmaker who does his job on the defense as well. Therefor Laine is a match made in heaven. Rantanen as well.

Laughable? Perhaps, but I´m still right here because you have no arguments to change my mind? Tell me exactly what Granlund brings to the table that this roster would be missing out on?
I get Granlund has achieved a lot for Finland but do you honestly think he should be picked because of his previous merits? Why won't we bring Komarov, Filppula, Haula etc?
Should I change my mind just because you say so? Or even if he gets picked? Explain what he will bring that this roster will be missing. Barkov and Aho will be the leaders. Behind them you have Rantanen and Hintz. Granlund is not necessary because these four mentioned players are better and they already have the needed experience.
Meritocracy is good but this is sports and you can't be nostalgic when you are supposed to pick the best team.
Heinola is a good example. He has not achieved as much as others because he´s still young. But you have probably seen what he can accomplish on ice. Then imagine if he takes further steps in his development this year? No brainer.
The same thing regarding Tuukka Rask, but on the other side of the table. He is good, but Lankinen could be a better choice nowadays, Saros too. As I said, it's sports, no room to be sentimental.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think there should be a new thread with the invitee list posted to it; it would be the logical point to start the roster speculation.

Regarding Ristolainen: they probably mean it when they say he isn't completely out yet. He's far from a lock, but he can still make it if he starts playing lights out in Philly. If he does and still gets snubbed, it would the 2010 Jussi Jokinen situation all over again. Jalonen admitted after the tournament that he made a mistake when cutting red-hot Jokinen - not the least because it created an unnecessary distraction and affected the team's preparation - and he won't be making the same mistake twice.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Love the idea of leaving Ristolainen out and the message it sends to him as well as to the other players. You can't just routinely decline to play in every World Championship without at least a half-decent excuse and still expect to make the team for the most important international tournament there is.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Finland can't afford to leave Ristolainen out. The right side is already the biggest weakness when it comes to depth. Jokiharju, Hakanpää, Vatanen and Ristolainen are currently the only Finnish defenders who are righties. Jalonen wants to have 4 defence pairings so if you leave Ristolainen out, that is already one player who needs to play on their offside.

Vatanen hasn't been good recently and I don't expect him to be better next season. He's not a good option at the moment. Hakanpää is fine when it comes to defending, but you can't expect points out of him. Jokiharju is a nice player and developing. I wouldn't ideally have him on the top pairing. Jokiharju is the only one who could play top 4 -role out of these three.

Injuries are likely to happen and there's a very good chance that not all the best players are available for the Olympics. Shit happens. Remember in 2014 when Koivu and Filppula couldn't come and then even Barkov got injured? What if Lindell and Jokiharju are unavailable in February? Do you think you can still afford not to pick Ristolainen?

Finland has a lot of NHL players at the moment, the most players they have ever had. The defence is the weakness and they lack quality top 4 -defenders. There's some potential, but you are looking for a lottery win if you expect all of them to reach their potential just in time for the Olympics.

I really hope that leaving Ristolainen out of this event means nothing like they said. It feels quite childish to leave him out.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Finland can't afford to leave Ristolainen out. The right side is already the biggest weakness when it comes to depth. Jokiharju, Hakanpää, Vatanen and Ristolainen are currently the only Finnish defenders who are righties. Jalonen wants to have 4 defence pairings so if you leave Ristolainen out, that is already one player who needs to play on their offside.

Vatanen hasn't been good recently and I don't expect him to be better next season. He's not a good option at the moment. Hakanpää is fine when it comes to defending, but you can't expect points out of him. Jokiharju is a nice player and developing. I wouldn't ideally have him on the top pairing. Jokiharju is the only one who could play top 4 -role out of these three.

Injuries are likely to happen and there's a very good chance that not all the best players are available for the Olympics. Shit happens. Remember in 2014 when Koivu and Filppula couldn't come and then even Barkov got injured? What if Lindell and Jokiharju are unavailable in February? Do you think you can still afford not to pick Ristolainen?

Finland has a lot of NHL players at the moment, the most players they have ever had. The defence is the weakness and they lack quality top 4 -defenders. There's some potential, but you are looking for a lottery win if you expect all of them to reach their potential just in time for the Olympics.

I really hope that leaving Ristolainen out of this event means nothing like they said. It feels quite childish to leave him out.
In my mind Finland is way better off talentwise with Ristolainen out rather than in. I have never seen the talent the Ristolainen fans have.

Who even says that the olympics have to have all defensemen or forwards from the NHL? I'd be surprised if the team was only consisting of NHL players, so why doesn't someone like Anttila or Ohtamaa stand out as a team player?

Reactions: Ippenator

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
In my mind Finland is way better off talentwise with Ristolainen out rather than in. I have never seen the talent the Ristolainen fans have.

Who even says that the olympics have to have all defensemen or forwards from the NHL? I'd be surprised if the team was only consisting of NHL players, so why doesn't someone like Anttila or Ohtamaa stand out as a team player?

Ok, who are these non-NHL defenders who could make the roster and play against the best players in the World? I'll give Ohtamaa a little chance of making it because he has been Jalonen's guy for long and he can actually handle himself against NHL opponents. I wouldn't want him in a top 4 role though. The only way Anttila is there if he's the mascot. There are plenty of guys who are team players and nice guys who could be relied on watering your plants when you are on a holiday, but that doesn't make them amazing hockey players and good enough to be there.

Also, you don't need to be a Ristolainen fan to see that he's better than most of Finnish defencemen at the moment. He has his weaknesses like everyone else, but you can counter those with the right partner.

Reactions: Itkonen and Ajax84

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is it okay if a coach is unhappy because a player has declined one or two Worlds invite too many? If you ask me, I'd prefer the coach to keep his cool - but on the other hand, coaches are human and have human emotions (despite constant claims to the contrary), so I ultimately have to say there's nothing wrong with this.

Is it okay if the coach makes this known to the player as well? I think this is fine. If there are tensions, they should be cleared.

Is it okay for the coach to do this publicly? Eff no. It should be kept behind closed doors.

Is it okay for the coach to snub a player from the olympic team because of the frequent declinations? Some might be fine with it, others might say eff no. But whatever side you land on, one objective truth remains: it's controversial as heck.

I don't expect to understand every pick a coach makes, let alone demand that he explain them in public in exhaustive detail. But I regardless wish I could at least tell myself that the coach left no stone unturned in assembling a team with the best possible chance to win gold. If Ristolainen doesn't make it to the olympic team, that fig leaf is gone. We will all know that he was left out for a reason that comes across as highly controversial at best, and pretty darn petty at worst.

Also, you'd like to tell yourself that the road to the olympics is handled in a sterling manner - that the people helming the team are pros, our best, and they'll do everything in their power that the team is as ready as possible and free of distractions when the puck drops.

And what did our management start with? By creating a public controversy. Even if it is ultimately saved and Ristolainen is in the final team (or Finland wins gold without him), airing this bit of dirty laundry in public is still not something you'd expect from your best people - not in the least. It's freaking amateur hour.

Reactions: Sanf and JabbaJabba

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
Saros, Lankinen, Kähkönen

Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Lindell - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Hakanpää
Nutivaara, Heinola

Laine - Barkov - Granlund
Teräväinen - Aho - Rantanen
Kapanen - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Armia - Lundell - Komarov
Donskoi, Lammikko

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Saros, Lankinen, Kähkönen

Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Lindell - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Hakanpää
Nutivaara, Heinola

Laine - Barkov - Granlund
Kapanen - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Armia - Lundell - Komarov
Donskoi, Lammikko
Lammikko most likely isn't in and if Donskoi is in he's never going to be a replacement forward, he either plays (lines 1-3) or doesn't get an invite at all.
Lundell also hasn't proven himself regarding the Olympic level. He isn't in as of now. Also, Rantanen will be a 1st liner on every Finland Olympic team combination. Granlund shouldn't be a 1st liner as of now.

I won't even start with the defense, it's basically Heiskanen and the others, with Lindell as the 2nd best D.

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Rantanen-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Laine
Granlund-Hintz-Donskoi
Kuokkanen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Tolvanen, Lundell

Heiskanen-Hakanpää
Lindell-Ristolainen
Välimäki-Jokiharju
Nutivaara

Rask-Saros-Lankinen

Reactions: Ajax84 and andys

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
First LINE could Be Hartikainen Manninen Granlund and 1. Goalie Jussi Olkinuora. Kontiola might still Make team for last time..

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
Gonna take a shot at this...

F1:
F2: Laine - Barkov - Kapanen
F3: Granlund - Hintz - Donskoi
F4: Lehkonen - Lundell - Armia

Replacements: Kotkaniemi, Tolvanen

D1: Miro - Jokiharju
D2: Lindell - Risto
D3: Välimäki - Hakanpää

Replacements:
Mikkola - Kaski

G: Saros, Lankinen, Korpisalo

PP1: Laine(R) - Kapanen(R) - Hintz - Teräväinen
Jokiharju(R)

PP2: Laine(R) - Donskoi(R) - Rantanen - Granlund
Risto(R)

PP3:
???

PK1: Lehkonen - Barkov
Miro - Hakanpää

PK2:
Aho - Armia
Lindell - Risto

PK3:
???

Comments:
The defense is clearly a weakness, and the team is still a couple years too young because of the lost generation. I put together this roster together with the intention of optimizing special teams. There are a number of guys left off who are legitimate choices, specifically on the wing, and I expect at least one of them will emerge as a more impactful player. I'd like to have Tolvanen as a starter, especially for the added powerplay threat, with Heinola brought on at #3RD and backing him on powerplays, but for now I can't justify moving anyone else off the wing.

F1: No reason to break up Aho and Teravainen, and Rantanen is their best match on the right wing, aside from being the obvious choice for 1RW. They can also use his size.

F2: Barkov might be the best center, but I think this more balanced approach works better. Also, Barkov is probably the best match for Laine, who clearly needs special handling. I'd also want Barkov and Laine playing slightly fewer 5-v-5 minutes that a top line, as they're important for special teams- Laine playing on two powerplay units, and Barkov on the 1st penalty kill. Kapanen has been impressive, can serve as the lines's forchecker/puck retriever aside from being a legit scoring threat on his own. (though I'm temped to match him with Hintz and Pulju just for the fun of a hi-speed line).

F3: Having Hintz as a 3C is great, and Granlund belongs on the wing unless there's no other option. I'd like to consider Granlund for #2W, as he played his best with Koivu as his center (that line had the best goal differential in the league, if I remember correctly), and Barkov is basically an upgraded version of Koivu. This would require some further shuffling of lines, though. Donskoi gets the nod over other potential wingers because he's a right-shot needed for supporting Laine's powerplay.

F4: This line will be playing very limited 5-on-5 minutes. I'd initially not wanted Lehkonen, as there are better-overall wingers than him, but none of them are as good as he is on the penalty kill (someone educate me if I'm wrong). Armia should be a lock at 4RW because of his penalty-killing. With Lundell, I'm making an optimistic projection. Maybe (probably) the coming season proves otherwise, and Kotkaniemi or Haula get the spot, but for now I like Lundell's progress and his versatility (can see him filling in gaps on powerplay or penalty kill). I'd love Komarov as a choice for 4C, but I think he's done with the national team. Maybe Luostarinen steps up for the job. Wouldn't be upset if Juhani Tyrväinen was chosen.

D1: Not comfortable with the top pairing, but you play the cards you're dealt. There's a lack of physical presence, so maybe Henri gets switched with Risto or Hakanpää.

D2: Some people don't even want Ristolainen on the team. Some people apparently aren't aware that Finland has a serious lack of right-shot defensemen. That he provides great physicality further justifies his inclusion. Expecting him to reveal a better version of himself in Philadelphia. Hopefully. Lindell is solid, and should be his most complimentary partner.

D3: Välimäki hasn't proven himself, but is the best option for now. Hakanpää isn't a star by any means, but... I'm ok with having him here.

Mikkola/Heinola is a tossup, and Heinola should definitely find a spot on future teams. I'll go with Mikkola for now as he's a defensive-oriented guy compared to Kaski (and Mikkola seems to be showing a steady improvement to his game). Kaski is currently the #4 Finnish LD... and probably better than that. Could see him getting several starts. Määttä isn't showy, but basically makes no mistakes, could see him making the team, but I'll leave him out. Juolevi or Lehtonen could make an emergence, and if Ohtamaa makes the team, that'd be ok with me. Some of the defensive lineups I've seen listed are too small/not hard enough. Being slightly more skillful doesn't matter if you're getting bullied all over the ice.

Goal: Rask will be recovering from surgery, and even if he's healthy, he'll probably be too out-of-practice. Saros isn't much of a downgrade, and I can see him and Lankinen alternating as 1A 1B. Kähkönen has looked better than Korpisalo lately, but for now I'll pick Korpisalo because of seniority, and the #3G will probably never play anyways.

PP: Not certain about these, besides having Laine on two shifts and supported by at least two other right shots who can pass to him on the forehand. Hintz and Rantanen playing alongside/behind the net. Kapanen/Donskoi in the middle. A 3rd unit would be necessary, but I'll leave that alone.

PK: It's be nice to have Barkov, Aho, and Heiskanen available for powerplay duty, but I'd want them well-rested for defending the disadvantage. Again unsure about the 3rd unit.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen
Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Jesse Puljujärvi
Mikael Granlund - Roope Hintz - Joonas Donskoi
Leo Komarov - Anton Lundell - Joel Armia
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Kasperi Kapanen

Esa Lindell - Miro Heiskanen
Juuso Välimäki - Rasmus Ristolainen
Olli Määttä - Jani Hakanpää