Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Confirmed roster:

Goaltenders:
Mikko Koskinen, SKA St. Petersburg
Juha Metsola, Amur Khabarovsk
Karri Rämö, Jokerit

Defensemen:
Miro Heiskanen, HIFK
Juuso Hietanen, Dynamo Moscow
Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit
Miika Koivisto, Kärpät
Lasse Kukkonen, Kärpät
Mikko Lehtonen, Tappara
Sami Lepistö, Jokerit
Atte Ohtamaa, AK Bars Kazan

Forwards:
Marko Anttila, Jokerit
Jonas Enlund, Sibir Novosibirsk
Teemu Hartikainen, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Julius Junttila, Kärpät
Joonas Kemppainen, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Petri Kontiola, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Jarno Koskiranta, SKA St. Petersburg
Jani Lajunen, HC Lugano
Sakari Manninen, Örebro HK
Oskar Osala, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Jukka Peltola, Tappara
Mika Pyörälä, SC Bern
Veli-Matti Savinainen, Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk
Eeli Tolvanen, Jokerit

Original post:

Starting this as there doesn't seem to be one yet.

It's been really difficult to try and put together a roster with the question mark for me around available AHL players.

Here are the my personal locks (not particularly actual) barring injuries and how I would line them up.

Tolvanen - Immonen - X
X - Kontiola- X
X - Kempainnen-Hartikainen
Pihlstrom-Koskiranta-Anttila

Lepisto-Heitenen
Ohtamaa-Lehtonen
Heiskinen-Jarvinen

Koskinen

The 4 Xs I go back an forth on and a lot will depend on available AHLers. Kapanen, Hintz and Haapala would be great adds. Pulkinnen appears to have carried good preseason form into AHL. Possibly Puliu, M. Aaltonen

Then outside Saivenen, Puustinen, Palmu, Osala, maybe lindsten.

I need to see how things pan out to complete the lineup.

Would love to see what others are thinking at this stage?

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Starting this as there doesn't seem to be one yet.

It's been really difficult to try and put together a roster with the question mark for me around available AHL players.

Here are the my personal locks (not particularly actual) barring injuries and how I would line them up.

Tolvanen - Immonen - X
X - Kontiola- X
X - Kempainnen-Hartikainen

Lepisto-Heitenen
Ohtamaa-Lehtonen
Heiskinen-Jarvinen

Koskinen

The 4 Xs I go back an forth on and a lot will depend on available AHLers. Kapanen, Hintz and Haapala would be great adds. Pulkinnen appears to have carried good preseason form into AHL. Possibly Puliu, M. Aaltonen

Then outside Saivenen, Puustinen, Palmu, Osala, maybe lindsten.

I need to see how things pan out to complete the lineup.

Would love to see what others are thinking at this stage?

The only AHLers allowed to go will be the ones that have minor league contracts. So unless I'm mistaken, the AHLers you've listed there unfortunately won't be available.

Other than that I like the lineup you've started off with. I wonder if Lauri Korpikoski gets some consideration, there's rumors of him signing in the Swiss League per eliteprospects. Also, what's the deal with Jesse Joensuu and Team Finland? Is he just not seen as good enough anymore? It's been a while since he's played internationally.

Oh and some of the old-timers/coach favorites could find their way on- Kukkonen/J. Aaltonen

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I'm not the expert really. Just fell in abosolute love with the sport of hockey through my Finnish wife. I'm sure there are others on here who watch Liiga/KHL and other european leagues religiously who could better advise on the players you mention but for me Joensuu wouldn't make it. Nothing major against him but I just wouldn't have role I would put him in. Doesn't score enough for top six and better options for bottom 6.

Korpikoski is interesting but would really need to see how he gets on.

Kukkonen is getting on for me but could definitely be there given the coach.

J.Aaltonen is benched right now for club despite good scoring. He will need to get his game together. Hopefully he does because he's definitely an asset when on form. I haven't seen him play this season yet but apparently its defensive issues.

Right now I'd probably go with:

Tolvanen-Immonen-Puustinen
Saivenen-Kontiola-Palmu
Osala-Kempainen-Hartikainen

Lepisto-Heitenen
Ohtamaa-Lehtonen
Heiskinen-Jarvinen

Koskinen

I like the familiarity in some of the lines at club level, and also the physicality and experience of the team. Could go a long way in my opinion.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
I'm not the expert really. Just fell in abosolute love with the sport of hockey through my Finnish wife. I'm sure there are others on here who watch Liiga/KHL and other european leagues religiously who could better advise on the players you mention but for me Joensuu wouldn't make it. Nothing major against him but I just wouldn't have role I would put him in. Doesn't score enough for top six and better options for bottom 6.

Korpikoski is interesting but would really need to see how he gets on.

Kukkonen is getting on for me but could definitely be there given the coach.

J.Aaltonen is benched right now for club despite good scoring. He will need to get his game together. Hopefully he does because he's definitely an asset when on form. I haven't seen him play this season yet but apparently its defensive issues.

Right now I'd probably go with:

Tolvanen-Immonen-Puustinen
Saivenen-Kontiola-Palmu
Osala-Kempainen-Hartikainen

Lepisto-Heitenen
Ohtamaa-Lehtonen
Heiskinen-Jarvinen

Koskinen

I like the familiarity in some of the lines at club level, and also the physicality and experience of the team. Could go a long way in my opinion.

Haha that's awesome, I cheer for Finland after the USA because my mom's Finnish.

But anyways, I can pretty much agree with your projected roster. Jokipakka might find his way on to the defense though

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I know. Met her 10 years ago, she was a hockey fan and I was converted within seconds of the first game. Honestly it was like taking the blue pill in the matrix. Given I'm Irish and our hockey team is well.....developing lets say.....I'm 100% behind the Finns who I have to say are bloody awesome nation to follow.

More than happy for Jokipakka to join the group as 7th defenseman. I like at least one big defensive defenceman on the ice at all times.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Should be interesting to see a Team Finland sans NHLers. They're a good hockey nation so I don't expect them to lose a step.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
I know. Met her 10 years ago, she was a hockey fan and I was converted within seconds of the first game. Honestly it was like taking the blue pill in the matrix. Given I'm Irish and our hockey team is well.....developing lets say.....I'm 100% behind the Finns who I have to say are bloody awesome nation to follow.

More than happy for Jokipakka to join the group as 7th defenseman. I like at least one big defensive defenceman on the ice at all times.

They always have the best uniforms too :naughty::nod:

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Maybe Miika Koivisto is a man for the team ? Last year he was nr 1 TOI in liiga, this year he is in top for points by defenders.

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
Tolvanen-Kontiola-Palola
Hartikainen-Kemppainen-Palmu
Heponiemi-Immonen-Jormakka
Osala-Anttila-Joensuu

Lepistö-Hietanen
Heiskanen-Koivisto
Tuulola-Virtanen

Koskinen
Kähkönen

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Tolvanen-Kontiola-Palola
Hartikainen-Kemppainen-Palmu
Heponiemi-Immonen-Jormakka
Osala-Anttila-Joensuu

Lepistö-Hietanen
Heiskanen-Koivisto
Tuulola-Virtanen

Koskinen
Kähkönen

As cool it obviously would be to see Heiskanen in Olympic team i don't see that happening.
Heiskanen is just recovered of his concussion which kept him away Dallas Stars training camps.
In world juniors Heiskanen will be Finland's team

Heiskanen plays in men's national team for sure in this season.
But it happens in hockey world championships in Denmark next May.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Eh, I don't follow the logic and you don't even explain it in your post at all.

In my opinion, if Heiskanen is good enough it's completely obvious he plays in the olympics.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With NHL out my excitement for the whole Olympics have dropped by a mile.

1 way to help would be to see players like Tolvanen& Heiskanen in the lineup.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Only Russia has better team on paper so why not hockey come February. It will be interesting to see the young players who wouldn't have had a shot otherwise.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Last edited by a moderator:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
With NHL out my excitement for the whole Olympics have dropped by a mile.

1 way to help would be to see players like Tolvanen& Heiskanen in the lineup.

I could understand if you were talking about WJC or WHC but it's the Olympics. It's not about beating the best but getting the gold medal. No matter what sport in the Olympics no one cares/remembers how you got it. It's just reads that you are Olympic champion, gold medalist and now it's great chance for Finland's hockey team to get to history books as a Olympic gold medalist.

Of course it would be great to see all the best players there but it will be as exciting to watch as always.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I could understand if you were talking about WJC or WHC but it's the Olympics. It's not about beating the best but getting the gold medal. No matter what sport in the Olympics no one cares/remembers how you got it. It's just reads that you are Olympic champion, gold medalist and now it's great chance for Finland's hockey team to get to history books as a Olympic gold medalist.

Fully 100% Agree. That's why I don't understand flooding the roster with youth just to progress them and see how they get on.

This is a great opportunity for Finland with a strong contingent battle hardened, experienced professionals ie. Kontiola, Immonen, Koskiranta, Hartikinen, Kempainen, Liepisto, Hietenan, Philstrom, Koskinen + More. They have all been to the well and know what tournament play is all about.

There is always place for the youth that excels at senior level such as Tolvanen. He clearly deserves a spot. I think Palmu can be exceptional aswell.

But Finland have a real shot this year. Playing a youth heavy roster takes the advantage they have away. I expect the coach to go more so with experience and I view this as the correct decision. Also, I don't care what Russia have this year, Finland can take them. Just Watch it happen :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Of course it would be great to see all the best players there but it will be as exciting to watch as always.

Sadly atleast for me it won't be. Olympics is about best going against the best, and we all know it's not happening. The quality of hockey will be a lot weaker than it has been. The -06 loss is still eating me and I bet this year won't make that kind of impact.

Tolvanen absolutely deserves to be on that roster, and he brings excitement back to the roster, same could go with Heiskanen, he's playing 24mins a game and could bring what the hockey is about, skill& speed to a boring Finnish system.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Fully 100% Agree. That's why I don't understand flooding the roster with youth just to progress them and see how they get on.

This is a great opportunity for Finland with a strong contingent battle hardened, experienced professionals ie. Kontiola, Immonen, Koskiranta, Hartikinen, Kempainen, Liepisto, Hietenan, Philstrom, Koskinen + More. They have all been to the well and know what tournament play is all about.

There is always place for the youth that excels at senior level such as Tolvanen. He clearly deserves a spot. I think Palmu can be exceptional aswell.

But Finland have a real shot this year. Playing a youth heavy roster takes the advantage they have away. I expect the coach to go more so with experience and I view this as the correct decision. Also, I don't care what Russia have this year, Finland can take them. Just Watch it happen :)
Kontiola and Immonen? Their good time is over!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Without NHLers, Finland's biggest issue will be filling the middle lane. In the current centre environment, Kontiola is a shoo-in, will be top-two, and Immonen has good odds to feature too. I expect Jarno Koskiranta will be there, and Kemppainen likely too. Then there're regular bottom-line options like Jani Lajunen and Tomi Sallinen. Then there're some names who could get a look on the EHT and thus a chance to establish themselves, like Mika Niemi and Antti Suomela, and perhaps someone else.

Well... maybe finding serviceable bodies isn't an issue, but finding enough playmaking skill may be. Apart from Kontiola, the rest of those guys feel more like plugs for that need. Immonen's been good for Liiga environment, but he's always been a diesel engine and he isn't young anymore. Still, can't write him off.

Wingers won't be an issue. Will be mostly NT regulars from our KHL ranks. Hartikainen, Osala, Pihlström, Jormakka, Joensuu, etc etc... A solid Liiga performer may also sneak in. Juuso Puustinen's been on my radar, but no reason to write him in yet, the EHT will show. If Korpikoski doesn't get an NHL contract, he's one easy pick.

And yes, I expect Tolvanen will be there too. But apart from him, I don't really see other U20 eligibles to feature. Heponiemi definitely won't be there, and throwing Palmu's name around feels somewhat scoffable as well (even though he's '97 and out of U20's reach).

Defense... easy picks, mostly. Pretty much the same guys who have been our WHC staples for years now. Lepistö, Hietanen, Ohtamaa and Jokipakka are locks. Mikko Lehtonen probably punched his ticket thanks to his last spring's WHC performance. And to complete the set, any three of Kivistö, Salmela, Kukkonen, Jaakola and Lajunen will do. Perhaps we also see some younger guy get a slot, like Niko Mikkola. Tuulola maybe. Koivisto, Vittasmäki, Eronen... dwindling odds, but still on the bubble. Heiskanen is on the bubble too, but he'll be with the U20 for the first half of the season, and with the selection above, his services aren't essentially needed.

Goalies... Koskinen will be the starter, despite having played the 2nd fiddle in SKA this season. Then pick any two of names like Metsola, Engren, Ortio and who else. Perhaps Kähkönen will get a look on the EHT.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pesonen is another good candidate. Like I said, wingers won't be an issue. And since Pesonen was mentioned... some of you are probably going to groan now, but I can see JMA sneaking into this squad too.

Can't write off Virtanen either, but if there's something we won't be lacking of, it's solid left-hooked all-around defensemen. He's another to the pile to pick from.

If there's a concern with defense, it's the relative lack of righties. Hietanen is a no-brainer, but behind him I don't see many candidates besides Lajunen. Not that it's going to matter that much. A player's hook should never be that much of a factor. If you've two equally good players and it's the only way to distinguish them, then sure. But never should one leave off a better lefty to make room for a righty who's worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->