Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Will the Finland-Czech practice match this Sunday, 8:30 AM Finnish time be televised or streamed? Does anyone know?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
thanks for the input.

this year is shaping up to be a real crap shoot. i know little to nothing of the majority of the players on every team/country.

i'm generally never very worried about the russians as they don't play as a team and are usually very selfish individual minded player types.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Isn't it ironic that our guys have such a good NHL season going?

Barkov, Teräväinen, Haula and Granlund are pretty much locks for career seasons...

Rantanen and Aho seem to be emerging as really good NHLers...

Rask and Rinne both look focused and awesome...

And we have 6 defensemen who are NHL caliber! Nutivaara being the surprise and Honka would have played every game this season had he been a leftie...

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Isn't it ironic that our guys have such a good NHL season going?

Barkov, Teräväinen, Haula and Granlund are pretty much locks for career seasons...

Rantanen and Aho seem to be emerging as really good NHLers...

Rask and Rinne both look focused and awesome...

And we have 6 defensemen who are NHL caliber! Nutivaara being the surprise and Honka would have played every game this season had he been a leftie...

Rantanen is leading all Finns and is having a career season. Same with Aho. He's going to surpass last year's p0ints unless another injury comes up.

Granny is on 0.88 pt per game but won't beat last year's 69 pts.

What a damn shame. Would have been a very fun team to watch.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
That's why it will be nice to have them for the WHC. Pretty sure this year will be stacked WHC for many teams.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I honestly don't want us to win this tournament. It will forever have an asterisk to it. To win our only Olympic gold in hockey in this farce of a tournament would be about the most Finnish thing to happen.

Reactions: ehhedler

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
i'm generally never very worried about the russians as they don't play as a team and are usually very selfish individual minded player types.

World champions in 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014, and a tournament without any NHL players favors them. Nothing to worry about there.

I honestly don't want us to win this tournament. It will forever have an asterisk to it. To win our only Olympic gold in hockey in this farce of a tournament would be about the most Finnish thing to happen.

Do you think it sucks that Finland got its first medal in men's hockey in Calgary 1988? And how did you like Peltonen-Koivu-Lehtinen in 1994? I guess you think those tournaments were real travesties too.

I'd love to see Finland win this tournament. I'll be watching the final in some New York pub. Would be wonderful to witness a Finland victory in that environment. Especially if it was against USA.

That's why it will be nice to have them for the WHC. Pretty sure this year will be stacked WHC for many teams.

Probably, but many teams don't have Marjamäki as their coach. I'm pretty skeptical about Finland's ability to get NHL players to come to Herning.

Last edited:

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Really? I would take it. Eff NHL. Olympic Gold is the biggest achievement you can have in winter sports
Nah man.. Finland would have a great team this year but it'd be even sweeter if they beat Sweden than USA than Canada with their NHL calibre line ups.

Beating whatever this is in the Olympics is just meh ..

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
I think this is a golden opportunity for the players who would never otherwise make it to the Olympics. NHL players or not I don't care. Go Finland!

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
I'll take Olympic Gold anyway we can. It had a lot of prestige even before NHLers started attending, why not after it as well. Besides we deserve to have one after the F*up of 2006. Freaking sad though that the great players like Lehtinen, Selänne and Numminen never got the Gold, even though they deserved it in their trophy cases.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'll take Olympic Gold anyway we can. It had a lot of prestige even before NHLers started attending, why not after it as well. Besides we deserve to have one after the F*up of 2006. Freaking sad though that the great players like Lehtinen, Selänne and Numminen never got the Gold, even though they deserved it in their trophy cases.

i take the stance that players don't deserve anything they don't earn. if those guys "deserved" a gold medal they would have won one.

Reactions: mattihp and Lepardi

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
This lineup is taking a while. At least I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone got anything? Im simply refuse to wait till the game :)

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Big upset for Rusia and USA! It s enough warning for the Finns. Don t underestimate the Germans ;)!

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is looking pretty good for Finland. Finland might be able to skip the first playoff round even if they get zero points from Sweden game. I expect Finland to beat Sweden but just thinking about the second scenario just in case.

When looking at group B, which has RUS, USA and SVK. (SLO can't catch Finland anymore.) Worst case for Finland is if Russia ends up #2 in that group. RUS has the best goal differential in that group by far, +5. Russia must get full 3 points from heir only game remaining against USA, so Russia must beat them in regular time. We can expect SVK to beat SLO on their last game on regular time which knocks RUS to the #2 place of their group. This means Finland's goal differential will be compared to RUS. Finland has +7 goal differential now, Russia +5.

USA --- Points: 4 --- GP: 2 --- Goal diff: 0
SVK --- Points: 3 --- GP: 2 --- Goal diff: 0
RUS --- Points: 3 --- GP: 2 --- Goal diff: 5

FIN --- Points: 6 --- GP: 2 --- Goal diff: 7

Groups on IIHF: Men

Group A played only one game each, so it's harder to predict what will happen there. The dangerous thing in group A is Canada placing #2 in their group. So if Czech beats them. Also it's not good if CAN-CZE goes to OT and both of those teams get points, because then most likely more than one team will have 7 points.

So we don't want Czech to beat Canada, because after that game Canada has Korea game left where they will probably score like 5-7 times and compete with Finland's goal difference. Canada has +4 goal difference after only one game and a lot more will be added from the Korea game, while Czech screwed up against Korea and only got +1 goal difference from that game and I doubt that Czech are able to crush Switzerland hard with big goal differential. So we definitely want Canada to sweep that group.

Key games left in group A:
Canada-Czech
Canada-Korea
Czech-Switzerland

So to summarize:
Close loss to Sweden on regular time can be enough for Finland to get a bye on first PO round. It helps Finland if Canada sweeps group A. Russia beating USA on regular time is dangerous for Finland. Overall it's looking good for Finland at the moment.

Below is the order of how the best #2 is decided.

Information
  • Higher position in the group
  • Higher number of points
  • Better goal difference
  • Higher number of goals scored for
  • Better 2017 IIHF World Ranking

Last edited:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Canada and Czech going to OT was the biggest threat regarding of being the best of 2nd placed teams and it happened.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Finland are on a roll and Sweden is chicken shit. Seems to be a good Olympics for Finland this time around.

Petri Kontiola is a real dog - and his sidekick young puppy Eeli Tolvanen is delivering the rest.

Beware the rest!

Reactions: MMANumminen

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Finland are on a roll and Sweden is chicken ****. Seems to be a good Olympics for Finland this time around.

Petri Kontiola is a real dog - and his sidekick young puppy Eeli Tolvanen is delivering the rest.

Beware the rest!
Got to like your optimism!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad