Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think Cox works for the Star. They run his articles but I don't think he's a direct employee - more of a freelance writer. If he was indeed fired, it could not have happened to a nicer person.
Could be. I know he writes a couple of articles each week for them, and that was where I saw this latest display of ignorance.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I´m both really excited and a bit worried about the D´s and how their future careers will progress. That's our biggest question mark.
Players on my mind is: Välimäki, Laaksonen, Vaakanainen, Salo and perhaps even Juolevi( even if the injuries and pressure got him for a while).

Laaksonen, Salo, Vaakanainen and Juolevi would be huge surprises if any of them would make the team.

In defense there aren't many high profile players. Depth chart looks something like this:

Heiskanen
Lindell
Ristolainen
Hakanpaa
Valimaki
Lehtonen
Nutivaara
Jokiharju
Mikkola
Maatta

SportsFan94

Jan 11, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario.
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Teravainen-Aho-Puljujarvi
Donskoi-Hintz-Kapanen
Mik Granlund-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Haula

Heiskanen-Lindell
Nutivaara-Jokiharju
Maatta-Vatanen
Hakanpaa

Rask
Saros
Lankinen

Taxi Squad (if theirs 5)
Tolvanen, Filppula, Valimaki, Heinola, Korpisalo/Kahkonen

I assume Ristolainen declines or doesn't get a roster invite.

Last edited:

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Okay, i´m sorry you don't get it your highness. First of all, nowadays we have talent to create at least 6 or so good lines. So, I don't give a sh*t about your complaints mate.

Second of all? Because I would consider Heinola as a better hockey player than Mikkola, Nutivaara etc. Therefor I think it's interesting to name their strengths and weaknesses.
Last but not least, there is still hockey to be played. We don`t know which players will succeed this year or which players can participate? Do you know that? Talent wise Välimäki, Heinola and others or someone among the D´s should succeed this year and surpass players like Mikkola, Nutivaara etc with ease.
Finland D-side is quite young, or at least the biggest talents are. Therefor it makes it exciting to speculate. Of course I could be a wiseacre and shout that every player here or there is locked but that's not how sports works. You can't only compete with your old merits buddy, news flash. And I do think there are players like Välimäki, Heinola, Heponiemi, Kupari, Kuokkanen, Somppi etc. who could become big risers.
Especially our defenders because besides Heiskanen its pretty thin and up for debate

Or do you think we should be bring Komarov, Kontiola and others because they used to be really good? Okay.
No problem, it's fine brother.

And I totally understand your speculations even including 6-7 lines of forwards who could probably be candidates for 2022 Olympic Team but you had 24 lines. As this is Canadian(?) platform and mainly only Finns knows the players like Ilomäki, Kivenmäki, Innala, Turunen etc and you don't have e.g. Aleksi Saarela mentioned I didn't get the point. But I might be the only one so go ahead! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't see any guys like Valimaki, vaakanen, joulevi, laaksonen, heniola making the roster this time round.

I think it will be Heiskenen, Lindell, risto, lehtonen (I suspect a bigger season this year), hakanpaa, Maata, jokiharju, mikkola

Nuutivara or vatanen maybe but I doubt it
The five I would bet good money on, if healthy, are Heiskanen, Lindell, Lehtonen, Hakanpää and Määttä. The first two are too high profile to pass, and the other three are reliable Jalonen familiars.

The remaining three slots, again barring injuries, should be picked out of the following six: Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Nutivaara, Vatanen, Mikkola, Välimäki. They're the ones who presently have a regular role in an NHL lineup.

However, simply picking the best three individuals likely isn't the way to go - you'll also have to look at the rolings. Ristolainen, Jokiharju and Vatanen are all right-handed puckmovers, so all three likely won't make it. This is also why our up-and-coming d-men will have a tough time making this team - they're almost all produced from the same mold: offensive-minded or utility lefties. And if you've already got Heiskanen, Lindell and Lehtonen, you don't really need to add someone like Heinola. What one of these young guys would have to do is play so lights out before the holidays that Jalonen would have to seriously consider replacing Lehtonen.

The three to complement the above fivesome are two out of Ristolainen, Jokiharju and Vatanen, and either Nutivaara or Mikkola. Of the first three, Risto is Risto. I'd say Jokiharju has perhaps the best odds as an individual, while Vatanen's advantage is having been round the NT block a few times, so he'd bring some veteran presence. Both also have history with Jalonen, though Jokiharju's is more recent. Of the two stay-at-home options, Nutivaara is the more seasoned one, and he also doesn't have a history of saying no to NT invites, while Jalonen probably knows Mikkola better personally.

These last choices are practically coin tosses, but if somebody was to put a gun in my head and tell me to narrow it down to the three... right now I'd say Risto, Vatman and Nuti. But I withhold the right to change my mind as the season progresses.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
The five I would bet good money on, if healthy, are Heiskanen, Lindell, Lehtonen, Hakanpää and Määttä. The first two are too high profile to pass, and the other three are reliable Jalonen familiars.

The remaining three slots, again barring injuries, should be picked out of the following six: Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Nutivaara, Vatanen, Mikkola, Välimäki. They're the ones who presently have a regular role in an NHL lineup.

However, simply picking the best three individuals likely isn't the way to go - you'll also have to look at the rolings. Ristolainen, Jokiharju and Vatanen are all right-handed puckmovers, so all three likely won't make it. This is also why our up-and-coming d-men will have a tough time making this team - they're almost all produced from the same mold: offensive-minded or utility lefties. And if you've already got Heiskanen, Lindell and Lehtonen, you don't really need to add someone like Heinola. What one of these young guys would have to do is play so lights out before the holidays that Jalonen would have to seriously consider replacing Lehtonen.

The three to complement the above fivesome are two out of Ristolainen, Jokiharju and Vatanen, and either Nutivaara or Mikkola. Of the first three, Risto is Risto. I'd say Jokiharju has perhaps the best odds as an individual, while Vatanen's advantage is having been round the NT block a few times, so he'd bring some veteran presence. Both also have history with Jalonen, though Jokiharju's is more recent. Of the two stay-at-home options, Nutivaara is the more seasoned one, and he also doesn't have a history of saying no to NT invites, while Jalonen probably knows Mikkola better personally.

These last choices are practically coin tosses, but if somebody was to put a gun in my head and tell me to narrow it down to the three... right now I'd say Risto, Vatman and Nuti. But I withhold the right to change my mind as the season progresses.

Agree as usual file although I have Valimaki in same category as heniola. He will havr to play pretty lights out to make it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Agree as usual file although I have Valimaki in same category as heniola. He will havr to play pretty lights out to make it.
Välimäki has already established himself as a league regular. That's why I put him in that group of six hopefuls, as our management should already have watched him a little; they should have some idea what he can and can't do. But as you can see, I don't really see him bringing much to the table rolewise.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Vatanen is currently UFA and looks like he will have to settle for a small role this season, if he gets an NHL contract. I didn't have him on my list as I am not too hopeful that he makes the team. He's only 30 but it feels like he's been around much longer.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland are comin' like a hurricane. For Christ's sake they'ave been in the Worldchampion champs finals two year in a row.
With maybe two or three and some so a few plenty NHL:s around . Finland will win it when they have their full squad. A simple fact.

And even your dear ol' Sidney can't change that ...

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If Swedens gets knocked out im cheering for Finland. Someone needs to end Canadas domination.

Anways, 2 names im thinking about. Filppula and Pokka. Fillpula did good in NHL last season and is on fire in NLA. There is not many vets in Team Finland, he could be a good 13th guy.

Pokka is finally starting to play what people expected from him. He is top d in KHL and could play in NHL. Very safe player who can fill out the team.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Swedens gets knocked out im cheering for Finland. Someone needs to end Canadas domination.

Anways, 2 names im thinking about. Filppula and Pokka. Fillpula did good in NHL last season and is on fire in NLA. There is not many vets in Team Finland, he could be a good 13th guy.

Pokka is finally starting to play what people expected from him. He is top d in KHL and could play in NHL. Very safe player who can fill out the team.

Unfortunately Finland's chances to stop Canada's domination
in the future winter Olympic games will be really difficult.

Canada can match and answer that talent what Finland has now and in the future.
The question is not that Can Finland beat Canada best on best tournament
the question is that can Finland answer Canada's elite talent
when they ( Canada ) Power, Clarke, Bedard, Wright, Lafreniere, Barzal, McDavid, MacKinnon, Savoie, etc.

Also Russia has their word to say with guys like Kucherov, Kaprizov, Michkov, Miroshnichenko, Chinakhov etc. Unfortunately i don't see that happen as cool it obvious it would be
to me Finland is 3rd or 4th gold medal contender behind Canada, USA, and Russia.

What comes to 2022 Finland's olympic roster there's no chance in hell Pokka will be on the team.
Finland will have NHL defence ( probably something like this Heiskanen, Lindell, Määttä, Hakanpää, Jokiharju, Ristolainen, Välimäki, Mikkola ) so so room for Pokka.

And also it's hard to see Filppula on the team either.
Don't get me wrong Filppula was good player but his time is over in national team.
Only Euro veterans who might be on the team are Anttila and maybe Ohtamaa
but even that is depend on injury situations etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Unfortunately Finland's chances to stop Canada's domination
in the future winter Olympic games will be really difficult.

Canada can match and answer that talent what Finland has now and in the future.
The question is not that Can Finland beat Canada best on best tournament
the question is that can Finland answer Canada's elite talent
when they ( Canada ) Power, Clarke, Beadard, Wright, Lafreniere, Barzal, McDavid, MacKinnon, Savoie, etc.

Theres allways a chance that Canada screws up like in Turin. Then theres a one chance, just one chance and it has to be taken. Sweden took that chance in 2006. Canada will allways be the gold medal favourite, no matter what.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Theres allways a chance that Canada screws up like in Turin. Then theres a one chance, just one chance and it has to be taken. Sweden took that chance in 2006. Canada will allways be the gold medal favourite, no matter what.

That's true.
In Nagano 1998 Olympic games Team USA was gold medal favorite.
And what happened USA lost their quarterfinal.

And after that loss they destroyed their rooms in Olympic village or was it hotel
( i don't remember all details ).

Meanwhile Canada lost bronze game vs Finland in Nagano
there is examples which proves that games will be played on ice not in the paper
so anything can happen in Beijing 2022 Olympics too.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Take my writings with a big grain of salt. It's gonna be long :D And I´m not sorry. With Jalonens organization I see us up there behind Canada with the US and Russia. I just have a feeling that Finland, USA and Russia are a bit better than Sweden right now with Sweden being very close. Three years ago I would've had Sweden clearly before Finland.

In what kind of universe will six finish defenders (chose below) and a poor goalie stand the heavy machine that is Team Sweden (Zibanejad, Lindholm, Landeskog, Eriksson Ek, Pettersson, Forsberg, Nylander and little Bäckström forward wise). Don't even get me started on our fourth line.

If Hedman, Brodin, Ekholm, Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson and Adam Larsson don't want a goal against, there will be none. This is not the worlds. Mr. Hero Anttila is not the answere here. Nice try, though! :)

Victor Hedman (D) Tampa Bay Lightning 54 9 36 45 0.83 28 5
John Klingberg (D) Dallas Stars 53 7 29 36 0.68 23 -15
Oliver Ekman Larsson (D) Arizona Coyotes 46 3 21 24 0.52 32 -17
Miro Heiskanen (D) Dallas Stars 55 8 19 27 0.49 12 -9
Mattias Ekholm (D) Nashville Predators 48 6 17 23 0.48 14 19
Jonas Brodin (D) Minnesota Wild 53 9 14 23 0.43 18 2
Erik Karlsson (D) San Jose Sharks 52 8 14 22 0.42 18 -18
Rasmus Dahlin (D) Buffalo Sabres 56 5 18 23 0.41 26 -36
Gustav Forsling (D) Florida Panthers 43 5 12 17 0.40 8 17
Rasmus Andersson (D) Calgary Flames 56 5 16 21 0.38 34 -9
Rasmus Ristolainen (D) Buffalo Sabres 49 4 14 18 0.37 36 -18
Hampus Lindholm (D) Anaheim Ducks 18 2 4 6 0.33 16 -1
Markus Nutivaara (D) Florida Panthers 30 0 10 10 0.33 12 1
Esa Lindell (D) Dallas Stars 56 5 11 16 0.29 19 11

Anton Strålman (D) Florida Panthers 38 3 6 9 0.24 8 -1
Mikko Lehtonen (D) totals 26 0 6 6 0.23 8 -2
Juuso Välimäki (D) Calgary Flames 49 2 9 11 0.22 26 -2

Patrik Nemeth (D) totals 52 3 7 10 0.19 20 5
Marcus Pettersson (D) Pittsburgh Penguins 47 2 7 9 0.19 22 8
Adam Larsson (D) Edmonton Oilers 56 4 6 10 0.18 24 2
Henri Jokiharju (D) Buffalo Sabres 46 3 5 8 0.17 4 -11
Carl Gunnarsson (D) St. Louis Blues 12 0 2 2 0.17 6 -2
Sami Vatanen (D) totals 39 2 4 6 0.15 20 3
Alexander Edler (D) Vancouver Canucks 52 0 8 8 0.15 58 -8
Jacob Larsson (D) Anaheim Ducks 46 1 6 7 0.15 14 -9
Robert Hägg (D) Philadelphia Flyers 34 2 3 5 0.15 18 -3
Olli Juolevi (D) Vancouver Canucks 23 2 1 3 0.13 0 -1
Niko Mikkola (D) St. Louis Blues 30 1 2 3 0.10 11 -11
Olli Määttä (D) Los Angeles Kings 41 0 4 4 0.10 6 -8
Jani Hakanpää (D) totals 57 2 2 4 0.07 35 4

Oscar Klefbom (D) Edmonton Oilers 0 0 0 0 - 0 0

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
In what kind of universe will six finish defenders (chose below) and a poor goalie stand the heavy machine that is Team Sweden (Zibanejad, Lindholm, Landeskog, Eriksson Ek, Pettersson, Forsberg, Nylander and little Bäckström forward wise). Don't even get me started on our fourth line.

If Hedman, Brodin, Ekholm, Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson and Adam Larsson don't want a goal against, there will be none. This is not the worlds. Mr. Hero Anttila is not the answere here. Nice try, though! :)

Imagine being Swedish and cocky 2021? Have you already forgot your team 2019? You had Lundqvist and Markström in net. You had Adrian Kempe, Zibanejad, Elias Pettersson, W. Nylander, Elias Lindholm, Wennberg, Hörnqvist, Bratt, Lindblom, Adam Larsson, Gustafsson, Ekman-Larsson, John Klingberg etc.
What was that? Almost 2/3 of your absolute best roster possible? Almost all those players you mentioned with Bäckström and Eriksson Ek missing.

We had what? Only players from European leagues... And guess what happened buddy, you still lost. So what's my point?
You are that typical fanboy who believes every game is won on paper what so ever. Numbers does not tell you everything. Personally, I would choose Heiskanen before E-L, Brodin and Ekholm in a tournament, no matter what. Also, I would choose Lindell before Dahlin, Andersson, Forsling and old and injured Erik Karlsson (always been questionable at defending). If you read your own list you will understand that we have big talents at D born 98 and later. Players who still can bloom and develop.
Last but not least, don't forget you have complete garbage coaches. Like compare Mårts, Montén, Garpenlöv and Grönborg to Jalonen or Pennanen? Laughable. Move along.

But yeah, keep on believing you still are a heavy machine and superior to Finland and others like you were a couple of years ago.
Barkov> Zibanejad (Your best forward is Finnish :D). Aho > todays Bäckström or Pettersson. Rantanen> Nylander. All day, everyday baby.
We have better coaches, forwards and goalies. You have better defenders and that is something that can change in two years or so.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

Hockey is a TEAM sport and putting up a list of individual stats in the NHL is almost irrelevant when it comes to performing as a TEAM.

Btw: could you please assemble that same kind of list for the defenders (and why not all the players) regarding SWE-BLR quarterfinal in the 2002 Olympics - and explain why SWE still lost that elimination game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Imagine being Swedish and cocky 2021? Have you already forgot your team 2019? You had Lundqvist and Markström in net. You had Adrian Kempe, Zibanejad, Elias Pettersson, W. Nylander, Elias Lindholm, Wennberg, Hörnqvist, Bratt, Lindblom, Adam Larsson, Gustafsson, Ekman-Larsson, John Klingberg etc.
What was that? Almost 2/3 of your absolute best roster possible? Almost all those players you mentioned with Bäckström and Eriksson Ek missing.

We had what? Only players from European leagues... And guess what happened buddy, you still lost. So what's my point?
You are that typical fanboy who believes every game is won on paper what so ever. Numbers does not tell you everything. Personally, I would choose Heiskanen before E-L, Brodin and Ekholm in a tournament, no matter what. Also, I would choose Lindell before Dahlin, Andersson, Forsling and old and injured Erik Karlsson (always been questionable at defending). If you read your own list you will understand that we have big talents at D born 98 and later. Players who still can bloom and develop.
Last but not least, don't forget you have complete garbage coaches. Like compare Mårts, Montén, Garpenlöv and Grönborg to Jalonen or Pennanen? Laughable. Move along.

But yeah, keep on believing you still are a heavy machine and superior to Finland and others like you were a couple of years ago.
Barkov> Zibanejad (Your best forward is Finnish :D). Aho > todays Bäckström or Pettersson. Rantanen> Nylander. All day, everyday baby.
We have better coaches, forwards and goalies. You have better defenders and that is something that can change in two years or so.

mårts was not a bad coach.

goalies? lehner, markström and ullmark is a good trio, i would say its even. Finland have regressed a bit on the goalie front.

finland have better top 6 forwards, sweden have better depth.

if you gonna call zibanejad a finn, then barkov is russian :D

the JAM

i blame that loss on tommy salo

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Hockey is a TEAM sport and putting up a list of individual stats in the NHL is almost irrelevant when it comes to performing as a TEAM.

Btw: could you please assemble that same kind of list for the defenders (and why not all the players) regarding SWE-BLR quarterfinal in the 2002 Olympics - and explain why SWE still lost that elimination game?

Well, my friend. Salo wouldn't pull that trick with the puck even if he tried a thousand times! Simple as that.

What we do here is battle with trash talk BEFORE the games is on. Not with real outcomes. I'm sure we could come up with a lot of examples when things go sour for the finns.

Now, what was that again? That Team Finland is slightly better than Team Sweden? Would you stand for that given what i wrote? Nah. Also, do you stand for the fact that Team Finland always is a better TEAM? Say it to Landeskog and Hedman and watch the response. Team Sweden is putting the band together (right now).

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Maybe you should go with the european players this time! And let's skip the numbers. Defenders don't rack up points in the olympics anyway. They can concentrate on the team play or something. And Heiskanen, Lindell and the talents born 1998 and later are all good to match up with Hedman, Lindholm, Brodin. But don't forget we have two Heiskanens, two Lindells and quite a few Ristolainens and Määtä's and we match your U23 at defense with Dahlin, Edvinsson, Lundqvist, Sandin, Broberg, Boqvist, Björnfot, Söderström etc. Please keep an eye on our players as well. Not just gorilla roar on your own abilities.

Is it all you got? Some historical WC games and Jalonen? Where's your fantastic goalie? Are you STILL slightly better as was mentioned earlier?

PS. Finish top 12 forwards rack up 182 goals in the NHL. Same as the swedes. And our forwards after that outscore finish forwards by a good margin. But of course they will not be in the olympics... not all of them. Look for Hedman and Landeskog to win the battle over Jalonen. He can't do the work for you. And neither can Anttila this time. When we have our best team we usually win over you. That is the case now.

And what is the hype about Hakanpää? We have monsters on our third defense pairing.
Ekholm and Karlsson etc. And we can chose offensive or defensive players. You have to go with your seven "best". Maybe even Ville Heinola or Jokiharju.

PS. Zibanejad spoke good swedish the last time I heard him. Tumba is in Stockholm, not Åbo.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Maybe you should go with the european players this time! And let's skip the numbers. Defenders don't rack up points in the olympics anyway. They can concentrate on the team play or something. And Heiskanen, Lindell and the talents born 1998 and later are all good to match up with Hedman, Lindholm, Brodin. But don't forget we have two Heiskanens, two Lindells and quite a few Ristolainens and Määtä's and we match your U23 at defense with Dahlin, Edvinsson, Lundqvist, Sandin, Broberg, Boqvist, Björnfot, Söderström etc. Please keep an eye on our players as well. Not just gorilla roar on your own abilities.

Is it all you got? Some historical games and Jalonen? Where's your fantastic goalie? Are you STILL slightly better as was mentioned earlier?

PS. Finish forward rack up 182 goals in the NHL. Same as the swedes. And our forwards after that outscore finish forwards by a good margin. But of course they will not be in the olympics... Look for Hedman and Landeskog to win the battle over Jalonen. He can't do the work for you. When we have our best team we usually win over you. That is the case now.

And what the f*** is the hype about Hakanpää?

PS. Zibanejad spoke good swedish the last time I heard him. Tumba is in Stockholm, not Åbo.

Han pratar även flytande finska, dumfan. Hans mamma är finsk. Read this, stf* and be humble next time. "Han hade alltid tänkt spela landslagshockey med Finland. Men i år tog Zibanejad, vilket betyder vacker generation på persiska, sitt andra VM-guld med Sverige."
You can find that yourself if you google it. It was 2018 when he told SVT that he had always imagined representing Finland in hockey.

Here, go on and read buddy " 2008 var en säsong full med vägskäl för Mika Zibanejad. Han spelade för AIK och var på väg mot ett genombrott på hockeyrinken.
I en intervju till Aftonbladet berättar han att han funderade på vilket land han ville representera i landslagsammanhang.
– Två av mina vänner skulle över på en camp för Finlands U15-landslag. Jag fick också en inbjudan, men till slut kunde jag inte åka. Hade blivit något problem med mitt finska medborgarskap och någon annan regel."

Typical Swedish hockey fans: Russians are always evil and they have no sportsmanship what so ever. (Alltid sånt jävla surr när det vankas JVM etc)
Finns are always little brothers and god forbid if they show confidence and actually think they can beat us.
Also, always when these things happen like in 2019 or WJC´s it's about "Underwhelming Swedes" and not the fact that Finland actually were better. That sh*t is getting old. After these last years I would´ve wished to witness a little less arrogance...

Let´s see how it all goes down ;)

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Han pratar även flytande finska, dumfan. Hans mamma är finsk. Read this, stf* and be humble next time. "Han hade alltid tänkt spela landslagshockey med Finland. Men i år tog Zibanejad, vilket betyder vacker generation på persiska, sitt andra VM-guld med Sverige."
You can find that yourself if you google it. It was 2018 when he told SVT that he had always imagined representing Finland in hockey.

Here, go on and read buddy " 2008 var en säsong full med vägskäl för Mika Zibanejad. Han spelade för AIK och var på väg mot ett genombrott på hockeyrinken.
I en intervju till Aftonbladet berättar han att han funderade på vilket land han ville representera i landslagsammanhang.
– Två av mina vänner skulle över på en camp för Finlands U15-landslag. Jag fick också en inbjudan, men till slut kunde jag inte åka. Hade blivit något problem med mitt finska medborgarskap och någon annan regel."

Okay miss big mouth. You win, let´s see how it all goes down.

You miss that the "bigmouth" is the one I'm arguing against. "Team Finland is slightly better than Team Sweden" etc. Throwing in that Zibanejad is finnish is quite stupid since he's raised in the swedish hockey tradition. It's really fun Team Finland have a strong team right now. But when Team Sweden have six great defenders we usually BEAT YOUR ASS!.

Some forward stats from the NHL:

1. Mikko Rantanen (RW) Colorado Avalanche 43 26 26 52 1.21 28 24
2. Aleksander Barkov (C) Florida Panthers 46 24 28 52 1.13 14 9
3. Roope Hintz (LW/C) Dallas Stars 37 14 24 38 1.03 4 9
4. Sebastian Aho (C/LW) Carolina Hurricanes 50 21 30 51 1.02 26 14
5. Nicklas Bäckström (C) Washington Capitals 50 14 37 51 1.02 14 0
6. Gabriel Landeskog (LW/RW) Colorado Avalanche 45 17 28 45 1.00 28 11
7. Mika Zibanejad (C) New York Rangers 51 20 26 46 0.90 16 7
8. Elias Lindholm (C/RW) Calgary Flames 49 17 26 43 0.88 22 10
9. Filip Forsberg (LW/RW) Nashville Predators 34 11 18 29 0.85 14 -8
10. William Nylander (RW) Toronto Maple Leafs 45 16 21 37 0.82 8 9
11. Elias Pettersson (C) Vancouver Canucks 26 10 11 21 0.81 6 0
12. Kasperi Kapanen (RW/LW) Pittsburgh Penguins 35 10 16 26 0.74 5 15
13. Teuvo Teräväinen (W/C) Carolina Hurricanes 15 3 8 11 0.73 2 5
14. Patric Hörnqvist (RW) Florida Panthers 44 14 18 32 0.73 39 -3
15. André Burakovsky (LW/RW) Colorado Avalanche 44 14 18 32 0.73 8 -2
16. William Karlsson (C) Vegas Golden Knights 48 13 20 33 0.69 2 19
17. Jesper Bratt (LW/RW) New Jersey Devils 40 6 21 27 0.68 6 3
18. Joonas Donskoi (RW/LW) Colorado Avalanche 42 15 13 28 0.67 8 14
19. Eeli Tolvanen (LW/RW) Nashville Predators 35 11 10 21 0.60 4 -10
20. Victor Olofsson (LW/RW) Buffalo Sabres 51 13 17 30 0.59 4 -19
21. Adrian Kempe (C/W) Los Angeles Kings 47 14 13 27 0.57 18 -14
22. Mikael Backlund (C/RW) Calgary Flames 47 8 19 27 0.57 26 -8
23. Rickard Rakell (W/C) Anaheim Ducks 46 8 18 26 0.57 12 -11
24. Calle Järnkrok (C/W) Nashville Predators 45 12 13 25 0.56 14 9
25. Joel Eriksson Ek (C/W) Minnesota Wild 49 17 10 27 0.55 16 17
26. Mikael Granlund (C/RW) Nashville Predators 47 13 12 25 0.53 14 -3
27. Janne Kuokkanen (LW/C) New Jersey Devils 44 6 17 23 0.52 14 -6
28. Patrik Laine (RW/LW) Columbus Blue Jackets 42 12 9 21 0.50 25 -25
29. Viktor Arvidsson (RW/LW) Nashville Predators 50 10 15 25 0.50 21 9
30. Alexander Wennberg (C) Florida Panthers 52 13 12 25 0.48 8 1

19-11 Team Sweden!

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well, let´s see. Im quite sure both Kuokkanen and Tolvanen will perform better than Bratt this coming year, perhaps even Granlund bounces back. Give Tolvanen some PP time and he will be the best goalscorer in Preds. I would choose Tolvanen before Bratt in a tournament all day, everyday. Give Patrik Laine a good center and he will produce more points than Landeskog, Hörnqvist and Bratt etc. Well, Finland have Barkov, Aho and Hintz so "Check" on that one.
Regarding your comment about the goalies? Lankinen is better than Lehner, just my opinion. Saros is definitely better than Markström... So, no. Sweden has without doubt the worst goalies among the top 5 countries and you know this.

Keep on with that never ending stat watching. Kapanen is higher on that list but he will most likely get a bottom six role because that's where he will contribute the most. That's exactly my point, it's not all about stats.
So you believe these stats alone will be enough for Sweden? Yes of course, that will bring you gold when Garpenlöv is coaching your men :D

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Well, let´s see. Im quite sure both Kuokkanen and Tolvanen will perform better than Bratt this coming year, perhaps even Granlund bounces back. Give Tolvanen some PP time and he will be the best goalscorer in Preds. I would choose Tolvanen before Bratt in a tournament all day, everyday. Give Patrik Laine a good center and he will produce more points that Landeskog, Hörnqvist and Bratt etc. Well, Finland have Barkov, Aho and Hintz so "Check" on that one.
Regarding your comment about the goalies? Lankinen is better than Lehner, just my opinion. Saros is definitely better than Markström... So, no. Sweden has without doubt the worst goalies among the top 5 countries and you know this.

Keep on with that never ending stat watching. Kapanen is higher on that list but he will most likely get a bottom six role because that's where he will contribute the most. That's exactly my point, it's not all about stats.
So you believe these stats alone will be enough for Sweden? Yes of course, that will bring you gold when Garpenlöv is coaching your men :D

Well, maybe Garpenlöv is not proven on this level. But if Bratt is on Team Sweden things is bad. And if Lankinen will be on the ice against us I will buy an extra bag of popcorn. :D Anyways, I hope you guys scare the shit out of the damned canadians!

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, let´s see. Im quite sure both Kuokkanen and Tolvanen will perform better than Bratt this coming year, perhaps even Granlund bounces back. Give Tolvanen some PP time and he will be the best goalscorer in Preds. I would choose Tolvanen before Bratt in a tournament all day, everyday. Give Patrik Laine a good center and he will produce more points that Landeskog, Hörnqvist and Bratt etc. Well, Finland have Barkov, Aho and Hintz so "Check" on that one.

no, lankinen is not better than lehner and markstrom.just compare their stats.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
mårts was not a bad coach.

goalies? lehner, markström and ullmark is a good trio, i would say its even. Finland have regressed a bit on the goalie front.

finland have better top 6 forwards, sweden have better depth.

if you gonna call zibanejad a finn, then barkov is russian :D

the JAM

i blame that loss on tommy salo
Not really. Maybe we don't have that prime Rinne/Kipper one atm, but Saros is getting there and we have more depth than ever, Ullmark would probably be our 6th option for Olympics and Lehner wouldn't make it either, Markström would probably be 3rd/2nd option.

I gotta love these Sweden vs Finland battles, it's still quite early since NHL season hasn't started yet and we might have some big surprises and players that are playing better/worse than expected. If our youngsters Kakko/Pulju/Tolvanen/Kotka are taking steps forward towards their real potential, then forward wise it's not even close, if they play like before, then it's quite even. Finland has better top forwards and Sweden more depth. Defense is obviously Sweden no matter what, but luckily we have some improvement on that department and Heiskanen as a diamond.

Everything combined, Sweden has a slight edge on paper, but Finland is going to be better coached team so it's a coin toss pretty much.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad