PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I like how people here are succumbing to this (hockey) god rhetoric to try to explain the unfortunate events.

"Oh it's the diving and the running up the score against bad team that caused this!"

Come on people. We are all educated here. Sometimes you just get lucky/unlucky. It's all random. Stop trying to put a face on it.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I like how people here are succumbing to this (hockey) god rhetoric to try to explain the unfortunate events.

"Oh it's the diving and the running up the score against bad team that caused this!"

Come on people. We are all educated here. Sometimes you just get lucky/unlucky. It's all random. Stop trying to put a face on it.

You want to know who the 'hockey gods' are?

In the IIHF, they're the heads of both the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and USA Hockey.

In the NHL, they're Bettman(Buttman to me, cause his face looks like a donkey's crack), the 24 U.S. teams' governors, and the NHL on NBC.

There you go. The true power players of hockey who's only business is to keep their heels planted firmly on the throats of Hockey Canada, the 7 Canadian NHL teams' governors, the CBC, Sportsnet, and TSN.

Plus, all the fans of VAN, CGY, EDM, WPG, TOR, OTT, MTL, and Team Canada.

Puzzle solved.

> = P

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
That's the last thing the hockey world needs....more control of the sport being concentrated out of the U.S., and being taken away from Canada. Like 'growth' of hockey in the U.S. genuinely means anything.

=P

USA Hockey is more talented than ever before.. it's hard to discount team USA

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
USA Hockey is more talented than ever before.. it's hard to discount team USA

I wasn't talking about their players...I meant the corporate executives of USA Hockey kicking the execs of Hockey Canada out of the upper platforms of power in the IIHF, and not allowing Canada to hold any position of authority over the sport anymore.

Problem with that...no USA hockey fan has the right to tell me, a fan of Team Canada, what to do. Period.

=P

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You want to know who the 'hockey gods' are?

In the IIHF, they're the heads of both the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and USA Hockey.

In the NHL, they're Bettman(Buttman to me, cause his face looks like a donkey's crack), the 24 U.S. teams' governors, and the NHL on NBC.

There you go. The true power players of hockey who's only business is to keep their heels planted firmly on the throats of Hockey Canada, the 7 Canadian NHL teams' governors, the CBC, Sportsnet, and TSN.

Plus, all the fans of VAN, CGY, EDM, WPG, TOR, OTT, MTL, and Team Canada.

Puzzle solved.

> = P

This is some weird shit.

Reactions: Sentinel

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Maybe class shouldn't mean a damn thing anymore within the Hockey Canada system. That's why were getting our butts kicked around the moon in international tournaments now.

Class has nothing to do with why Canada isn’t doing as well anymore.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Don’t kid yourself hockey Canada is a big business they take a lot of money from all there programs just to get a chance to try out for the U 16 team BC it was like 3 grand if you made it to Shawnigan payed by the parents of the kids and that was only in BC

And is it not those high costs that are monopolizing the number of registered players in Canada?

I heard that the NHL financially contributes to the USNDP, does this mean that Canadians pay more our of pocket for their program?

I bet ridiculing Denmark isn't quite so amusing now

View attachment 171481

Yeah, it was Frost's fault

Completely invisible in OT!

As an American, I really don't care that much about this tournament. The finger-pointing by Canadian fans is more entertaining than the actual games. But holy hell, are we really blaming this loss on the Canadians' performance three games ago? If that's the case, then I think the real problem is Canadians (organizations, players, and fans) are too busy living in the past.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To me Canada fell victim to poor coaching/player deployment. Full marks to the Finns but with better coaching/player deployment Canada would be preparing for a semifinal matchup against Switzerland right now.

Reactions: TB12 and sting101

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Can't get a much wilder ending than that. Maybe CAN-USA women's gold medal game in Sochi? That broken stick, you could not invent that kind of dramatics.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
IMO neither team played great (except both goalies). Finland was too slow and after 1st period I was certain we'd lose this one. Good goaltending and limiting Canada's chances is what kept them in the game, and this time luck was on our side.

Canada was surprisingly quiet in the finishing department. Didn't look like a dominant team at all during the last 40mins & OT, so the result itself wasn't a massive surprise after all.

Now I can watch the semi in peace, because a) we should beat Switzerland and b) if we don't, I'll just be happy for the Swiss. It's a good sign that Canada is not as dominant as it used to be; it creates more competition and results in more entertaining games. Like we saw in Olympics with Germany.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Can't get a much wilder ending than that. Maybe CAN-USA women's gold medal game in Sochi? That broken stick, you could not invent that kind of dramatics.

I like it better when Canada mops the floor with the world in hockey, and makes all other countries live in fear of our country name on the ice.

=P

BennsGonnaGetYou

Apr 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm happy Finland have the mentality that they just never give up, this have been the case with previous successful Finnish U20 teams as well. I'm sure that was a huge reason yesterday's game turned out the way it did.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
IMO neither team played great (except both goalies). Finland was too slow and after 1st period I was certain we'd lose this one. Good goaltending and limiting Canada's chances is what kept them in the game, and this time luck was on our side.

Canada was surprisingly quiet in the finishing department. Didn't look like a dominant team at all during the last 40mins & OT, so the result itself wasn't a massive surprise after all.

Now I can watch the semi in peace, because a) we should beat Switzerland and b) if we don't, I'll just be happy for the Swiss. It's a good sign that Canada is not as dominant as it used to be; it creates more competition and results in more entertaining games. Like we saw in Olympics with Germany.

Then how do we return Canada to dominance?

Have any ideas you're willing to share here?

Or will you keep them close to your heart for fear they'll leak to a Russian?

=P

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
To me Canada fell victim to poor coaching/player deployment. Full marks to the Finns but with better coaching/player deployment Canada would be preparing for a semifinal matchup against Switzerland right now.

I don't know about that. It wasn't like Finland was over performing. They didn't even reach their level in many ways. Therefore, with better coaching and player deployment, also Finland would have been better than what was seen.

Coming back to the actual world from the hypothetical, the game would have been something else than 0-1 at the beginning of the third period, if not for DiPietro.

Reactions: LAINEC

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I don't know about that. It wasn't like Finland was over performing. They didn't even reach their level in many ways. Therefore, with better coaching and player deployment, also Finland would have been better than what was seen.

Coming back to the actual world from the hypothetical, the game would have been something else than 0-1 at the beginning of the third period, if not for DiPietro.
Finland has about 10% of Canada's population base but obviously it has a good development program.

Reactions: LAINEC

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I like it better when Canada mops the floor with the world in hockey, and makes all other countries live in fear of our country name on the ice.

=P

I have to assume that you are not being serious here. If not, don't really know what to say...:eek:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
As an American, I don't quite get the Sky is Falling that is going on here. No offense, but you won it all last year. That should count for something. It isn't like there is a 20 year drought.

Some years, you win, some years you are down. Every country goes through peaks and valleys.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

=P

Id rather see Canada lose a 2-1 game in overtime than beat someone 10-1. Gimme an entertaining game over a blowout anyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad