PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

gerardfraser

Mar 2, 2016
Disappointed in Canada loss those 17 -19 year old kids need to be burned at the stake,but hey Finland deserved to win.
Are some of you people for real,they just lost and yes Don Cherry is at fault calling them out.The older
I get the more I dislike Don Cherry LOL.

Well the Kids were good I enjoyed the hell out of the game it was exciting and the crowd in BC was awesome.Sucks they lost ,but so what it's a hockey game.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
One difference, Billy barber dives were to accent a hook or a trip. Not like a sniper got him from the blue seats. Diving to draw a penalty is a lot different than feigning injury. Can’t take players who fake injury. Big difference in my opinion.
Way off topic here but I had to respond.
I think I understand what you are detailing, but to me it really makes no difference.
There are players who dive, and players who don't have it in their makeup.
Bill Barber was a Grade A embarassment when he did it, no different whatsoever from Comtois diving. Diving is diving is diving.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
As a Canadian viewer who has largely turned off the WJC's in recent years, just generally bored of the TSN media hype machine and celebrity building that goes on with the WJC every Christmas season. Every year before the tournament you see them basically assigning the requisite folk hero spots like they're looking for the next Marc Denis, Manny Legace, Jonathan Toews, Jordan Eberle. Feels extremely manufactured. The road to the gold medal is also extremely formulaic. Steamroll a sacrificial lamb, tune up, scare in the quarter finals, turning point in the semis, gold, etc. (well not every year). Every iteration it feels a little more forced.

The Hockey Canada branding is also something that irks me. Never understood why we started with the black in the colour scheme and then started putting a little gold on everything. A bit presumptuous and arrogant.

Seriously, lose the Hollywood production.
TSN bores the hell out of me, but it's just another case of "follow the money". They deliver what people will pay for. So, kind of hard to put all the blame on them. It takes two to tango, as they say.
I cut the cord on cable TV, as TSN and their predictable hype machine is something I would not dream of paying for.
NHL trade deadline is probably an even better example of hype to the nth degree.

Reactions: TB12

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
sucks to lose on a exploding stick, hi Michigan Tech

pretty sweet 1-2 pass by Talvite on the goal tho

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Good for Canada. Don’t deserve to win. Tim Hunter didn’t deserve to win. Didn’t use Lafrenière as he should. You wanted goals, should have put the kid on the first line and keep your criticism to him in private. Bad coach. Losing to Russia was a disappointment too.
The public criticism of an individual player was really bad. Eye-blinking, jaw-dropping bad of Hunter to trot that out there like "I'll show everybody I know how to run these kids".

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Way off topic here but I had to respond.
I think I understand what you are detailing, but to me it really makes no difference.
There are players who dive, and players who don't have it in their makeup.
Bill Barber was a Grade A embarassment when he did it, no different whatsoever from Comtois diving. Diving is diving is diving.
My opinion differs. Hate when players fake they are high sticked and fall to the ice holding their head that was never touched. Don’t like that a bit. Guys play hard. Tough tough sport. Faking injury is different then embellishing a hook in my opinion.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Good for Canada. Don’t deserve to win. Tim Hunter didn’t deserve to win. Didn’t use Lafrenière as he should. You wanted goals, should have put the kid on the first line and keep your criticism to him in private. Bad coach. Losing to Russia was a disappointment too.

What are the odds most coaches picked for Team Canada would've played Lafrenière on the top line? Way too much politics involved that plays into this BS. Lafrenière and Studnicka should've been in the top six, especially Studnicka with how he played in the pre-tournament.

Studnicka lights it up in pre-tournament and then gets demoted and hardly used. Makes complete f***ing sense.

Hunter calling out the youngest player on the team, and one of the youngest Canada has ever rostered, was pure embarrassment.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal

A Neanderthal who's allergic to skills and has a crush for grinders, reminds me of someone we had in Montreal no so long ago.

Reactions: Jabba11

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
DiPietro was a beast! What a goalie! We get this lucky bounce that ties the game. is it fair? I dont know but i take it Game was fun to watch, great speed, couple good tackles, goalies was on fire. Comtois tackle was the only thing what was a nightmare. Too much speed and i think he was trying to kill Heinola.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The public criticism of an individual player was really bad. Eye-blinking, jaw-dropping bad of Hunter to trot that out there like "I'll show everybody I know how to run these kids".

It just seemed very out of touch way of handling a situation. But I mean what do you expect out of a guy like Tim Hunter?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What are the odds most coaches picked for Team Canada would've played Lafrenière on the top line? Way too much politics involved that plays into this BS. Lafrenière and Studnicka should've been in the top six, especially Studnicka with how he played in the pre-tournament.

Studnicka lights it up in pre-tournament and then gets demoted and hardly used. Makes complete ****ing sense.

Hunter calling out the youngest player on the team, and one of the youngest Canada has ever rostered, was pure embarrassment.

Yeah, just had a very political, out of touch, not very nurturing, lost the plot, not fun, corporatism tone to it. Reminds me of something like Friday Night Lights. It's a business.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
My opinion differs. Hate when players fake they are high sticked and fall to the ice holding their head that was never touched. Don’t like that a bit. Guys play hard. Tough tough sport. Faking injury is different then embellishing a hook in my opinion.
I guess we agree to disagree, like that's never happened with me before or won't again :nod:

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
DiPietro was a beast! What a goalie! We get this lucky bounce that ties the game. is it fair? I dont know but i take it Game was fun to watch, great speed, couple good tackles, goalies was on fire. Comtois tackle was the only thing what was a nightmare. Too much speed and i think he was trying to kill Heinola.
Lot of great goaltending this Championship ..very impressive

Reactions: trilobyte

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The hockey gods have spoken, loud and clear. The tying goal (which almost broke all laws of physics) the blown PS by the captain (who laid a dirty knee of a Finn earlier in the game), the broken stick and the final, tipped shot all speak volumes about the power of the almighty deities that rule this game. Congratulations to the Finns from a Canadian fan; they earned it fair and square. The Canadian team seemed very tentative at times, unable to complete simple plays and constantly getting beat to the puck. At first I thought it was the Rogers centre's wretched ice until I noticed the Finns having no such troubles. With the Swiss also being victorious this has turned into a pretty entertaining tournament. Looks like it's Russia's to lose but we all know how unpredictable they can be. Erm, GO SWITZERLAND!

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I did not wake up to watch, though Finland had zero chance after being so average in the prelims and facing Canada in small ice. Was astonished to see they won.

Toni Utunen, a Vancouver pick, eliminates Canada in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: heynowbababooey

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have to rant here.

The new rules restricting body contact are an absolute embarrassment. Off to a good start in producing the most bland vanilla game of containment. Big hits and hard forechecks were staples to produce entertainment and break downs in coverage and now hockey just becomes another version of soccer.....no offense soccer fans.

Secondly i kinda anticipated this team might have some issues scoring but the overall lack of willingness to shoot and crash the net was absolutely astounding. Very lackluster play for the most part and poor intensity level. In particular Suzuki Bowers AndersonDolan Entwhistle Studnicka and Comtois were horrid. Lafreniere wasnt really given a chance, Tippett and Frost were wildly inconsistent. Hayton Leason and Glass were the top3 IMO.

On defense Ty Smith was the best. Bouchard has some great skills but didnt execute when it mattered. Dobson was absolutely horrendous handling the puck and making plays, Mitchell MacIsaac and Brook were decent. Phillips i thought was overmatched

DiPietro deserved so much better

Lastly Tim Hunter and his staff did a poor job of managing the lines and creating an identity for this team......Very disappointing

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Great game by the Fins, they deserved to win it even with there lucky breaks. Hope you guys go far and the best of luck to the team and fan base

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I watch mainly all the games except for canada. i agree with the poster who said tsn is over hyping this tournament like its the most amazing thing in the world. I preferred when cbc used to broadcast the games. it was more interesting when it was only a round robin tournament. How many of you remember when it was a round robin tournament?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Not in mine. Dishonesty is dishonesty. I used to get flak all the time from my fellow Canuck fans when I called out the antics of Burr, Kes, Lou Lappy (ugh). Makes the rest of the team look like punks. Also it's contagious; even the Sedins started diving after awhile...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad