Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This is an aside, but I would be shocked if Dubas wasn't lobbying to hire Keefe. He was his one and only coaching hire in the Soo, with the Marlies and with the Leafs. He's brought him everywhere. If he isn't the head coach of the Penguins, then there's something or someone else at play.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This is an aside, but I would be shocked if Dubas wasn't lobbying to hire Keefe. He was his one and only coaching hire in the Soo, with the Marlies and with the Leafs. He's brought him everywhere. If he isn't the head coach of the Penguins, then there's something or someone else at play.
First, he has to interview with the Devils.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I haven't heard what Friedman said to Jeff Merak on his show today but supposedly Friedman said Berube would be our coach by the end of the weekend can anybody confirm that was said?

Also supposedly Kyper said they have already been in contact with his agents.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Keefe actually threw a dagger in his final post presser when he talked about this being the first time they got it right and that they just needed to continue the new course to break through. You could argue that he was trying to keep his job, but you gotta think he knew what was coming so why burn bridges.

My guess is Pitts is the last place he wants to go. He'll land a job.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hmm.

Lou - Cup x 3, first ballot Hall of Fame, GM of the Year x 2 , too many playoff rounds to count....

FYI ..

Lou Lamoriello is so well respected in NHL circles for his achievements and contributions to the game and his success, that he is already in both the NHL and US Hockey Hall of Fame.

On June 23, 2009, it was announced Lamoriello would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was honoured during the November 6–9 induction weekend, alongside Brett Hull, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille and Steve Yzerman.

On July 12, 2012, Lamoriello was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame.

Lou Lamoriello Induction Speech - 2009

1715407971680.png

Star-Studded Class Inducted Into Hockey Hall of Fame - The New York Times

Last edited:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
FYI ..

Lou Lam is so well respected in the NHL circles that he is already in the NHL and US Hockey Hall of Fame.

On June 23, 2009, it was announced Lamoriello would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was honoured during the November 6–9 induction weekend, alongside Brett Hull, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille and Steve Yzerman.

On July 12, 2012, Lamoriello was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame.

Lou Lamoriello Induction Speech - 2009

My mistake @Mess , I'll always admit an error when pointed it out.

Lou is already a hall-of-famer, you're correct.

Quite a ways to climb for the ex-Leafs GM to even sniff those bootstraps.

Maybe let's start with a second playoff round win?

Baby steps as they say.

Took five years with the Leafs as GM, leaving behind him a crippled hand-tied franchise in the wake to get that first playoff round win but maybe the Pittsburgh challenge won't be as hard for him this go around?

If he's learned anything, perhaps he can improve upon his old record and get that 2nd ellusive playoff round win in four years with his new team?

Definitely can't wait to find out!

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I love Berubes style and would love the Leafs to play that way, but my question remains will this team play that way for him.

To get it out there, he’d my first choice as of right now with Quenville as a second (PR nightmare sort of scares me in a market like Toronto).

horner

May 22, 2007
I love Berubes style and would love the Leafs to play that way, but my question remains will this team play that way for him.

To get it out there, he’d my first choice as of right now with Quenville as a second (PR nightmare sort of scares me in a market like Toronto).
Any new coach will change the way they play.
They need to learn how to play playoff hockey.
They need to play as a team not the core players.
Games 5 and 6 showed what can be done when you play as a team .
The pp couldn't be changed because Keefe didn't want to hurt any feelings , that will be change by a new coach.

The one thing the new coach will have to be is great with young players

Knies McMann Robertson Cowen Minten Grebyonkin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You can say that about any coach really. It's hard to really know how a coach will do with any given team. McLellan had a very respectable run with the Sharks for years, gets let go as the team rebuilds, goes to Edmonton and it was a bit of a disaster. Goes to the Kings and it was the same disaster.

I think Berube is probably the best available coach as well. I think though Jay Woodcroft is probably the more intriguing option but his resume is very limited.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

ur right but my sense is there will be significant players moved in order to change the culture / how they play. U cant just do that by changing the coach. I think Tre knows this

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

f*** the PR “nightmare” and anyone else that is afraid of it.

Q is the best qualified candidate. End of story.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
ur right but my sense is there will be significant players moved in order to change the culture / how they play. U cant just do that by changing the coach. I think Tre knows this
I really hope they don't go down the road of trying to tailor the lineup to the coach. That never works, and you just end up in a worse spot in two or three years when the new coach is ultimately fired. The coach's job is to get the best out of the lineup, not change the lineup so that it is filled with a bunch of guys who mirror the coach's personality.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I really hope they don't go down the road of trying to tailor the lineup to the coach. That never works, and you just end up in a worse spot in two or three years when the new coach is ultimately fired. The coach's job is to get the best out of the lineup, not change the lineup so that it is filled with a bunch of guys who mirror the coach's personality.
I think they are going to tailor the lineup to Brad this off-season. And then find a coach that aligns with Brad's vision on how to play. Keep Matthews/Nylander and heavily improve defense and goaltending. This team needs a major culture system SHOCK. the best way to do that is move out personnell and get a new voice.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think they are going to tailor the lineup to Brad this off-season. And then find a coach that aligns with Brad's vision on how to play. Keep Matthews/Nylander and heavily improve defense and goaltending. This team needs a major culture system SHOCK. the best way to do that is move out personnell and get a new voice.
Question is, is our unicorn buying in? If not, it probably will not work.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In order to change the chemistry and unity (as mentioned at the presser), the Leafs and management need to take the team back.
They need to take the salary cap back, the culture and identity. They need to take accountability back. They need to shed the Alpha entitlement that runs through the roster.
It means very little to say these things at the press conference only to run it back and accept the same things, especially if you bow out in the 1st again with the same things.
You follow that presser up with a core change, a gut punch to the org, a new coach and accountability. The Leafs determine the culture.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
My top choices (among candidates that are currently available) are Berube and Quenneville.

From a pure hockey standpoint, I prefer Quenneville, but to avoid the unnecessary sideshow, I'm leaning towards Berube.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They basically have one bullet, and it's Marner. Tavares isn't going to agree to go anywhere else. I think they 100% resign Domi, and if Marner is traded I could see them trying to resign Bertuzzi, as well. The rest of the available money has to go to reshaping the defense and figuring out what to do in net.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
They basically have one bullet, and it's Marner. Tavares isn't going to agree to go anywhere else. I think they 100% resign Domi, and if Marner is traded I could see them trying to resign Bertuzzi, as well. The rest of the available money has to go to reshaping the defense and figuring out what to do in net.
I personally believe even if they only move Marner it will be the same old song. They have a massive culture issue which Shanny was instrumental in letting go down the gutter.

This team needs 3-4 grenades at least

In order to change the chemistry and unity (as mentioned at the presser), the Leafs and management need to take the team back.
They need to take the salary cap back, the culture and identity. They need to take accountability back. They need to shed the Alpha entitlement that runs through the roster.
It means very little to say these things at the press conference only to run it back and accept the same things, especially if you bow out in the 1st again with the same things.
You follow that presser up with a core change, a gut punch to the org, a new coach and accountability. The Leafs determine the culture.
You are 10000% correct. This will take time to build back up. How quickly? who knows. But they needed to start yesterday. Shanny should have been fired for letting it get here.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I personally believe even if they only move Marner it will be the same old song. They have a massive culture issue which Shanny was instrumental in letting go down the gutter.

This team needs 3-4 grenades at least
But we all know it won't happen. Neither Matthews nor Nylander are going anywhere. It will be up to the new coach to try to get more out of them when it counts.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
But we all know it won't happen. Neither Matthews nor Nylander are going anywhere. It will be up to the new coach to try to get more out of them when it counts.
Matthews/Nylander are staying. But Tre should be doing everything in his power to move off Marner, JT and even Rielly Not to say JT and Rielly have hurt the culture in any way, but for now we need change and we need to get better.

Bring better defense and personalities on the back end. Find a real goalie. The coach and major personnel is the only way this is going to work. A coach alone is not going to change habits so quickly. They are going to give this the best swing possible

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Matthews/Nylander are staying. But Tre should be doing everything in his power to move off Marner, JT and even Rielly Not to say JT and Rielly have hurt the culture in any way, but for now we need change and we need to get better.

Bring better defense and personalities on the back end. Find a real goalie. The coach and major personnel is the only way this is going to work. A coach alone is not going to change habits so quickly. They are going to give this the best swing possible
I agree on Tavares, but I just don't see that one happening. To put it another way, I will be extremely surprised if Marner is in the Leafs' lineup in October, and equally surprised if Tavares is not.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I agree on Tavares, but I just don't see that one happening. To put it another way, I will be extremely surprised if Marner is in the Leafs' lineup in October, and equally surprised if Tavares is not.
I wouldn't be surprised at all on JT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad