PGT: Finland eliminates Canada 2-1 (OT) Part II

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada didn't deserve to win - easy as that.

I continue to be impressed by the leaps the US Program has been making year over year. They have been developing a lot more talent as of late and will continue to pace Canada. If they keep it up we may have a new world super power in hockey..

That's the last thing the hockey world needs....more control of the sport being concentrated out of the U.S., and being taken away from Canada. Like 'growth' of hockey in the U.S. genuinely means anything.

=P

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
DiPietro was a beast! What a goalie! We get this lucky bounce that ties the game. is it fair? I dont know but i take it Game was fun to watch, great speed, couple good tackles, goalies was on fire. Comtois tackle was the only thing what was a nightmare. Too much speed and i think he was trying to kill Heinola.

This tournament had many good goalies. I think maybe not a normal year this time around. To mention a few Sweden, Russia and even Kazakhstan had a decent one considering how weak the rest of team KAZ was.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny how things eventually even out over the years. People forget that ten years ago, when Eberle scored the tying goal against the Russians with five seconds left, we really didn't deserve to win the game. We were outplayed, and got lucky on the tying goal with a fortunate bounce that allowed us to keep the puck in the zone. Tonight the Hockey Gods came back to collect...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Finland played well. I wish them the best going forward.

They were lucky. The tying goal was really lucky with 46 seconds left; and then Dobson's twig shattering with an open net seconds before the OT winner.
And you don't think Canada got their fair share of fluke goals too in the past? Don't remember when Shattenkirk broken his stick on a simple pass?

Reactions: glennkid and AreBe

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Gotta give Don Cherry credit. He said that 14-0 spanking Canada gave to Denmark would come back to haunt them. Hockey gods!

I look forward to hear what he will say on Coach's Corner, but he must be saying right now "I told you so"

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What are the odds most coaches picked for Team Canada would've played Lafrenière on the top line? Way too much politics involved that plays into this BS. Lafrenière and Studnicka should've been in the top six, especially Studnicka with how he played in the pre-tournament.

Studnicka lights it up in pre-tournament and then gets demoted and hardly used. Makes complete ****ing sense.

Hunter calling out the youngest player on the team, and one of the youngest Canada has ever rostered, was pure embarrassment.

So much this. Studnicka was a beast and was showing the style and play that Canadians love to have representing them. Hardly saw him out there.

I hope he has an edge to his game and a point to prove moving forward.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Hockey Gods shattered that stick in retribution for running up the score vs. Denmark.

So you're saying that running up the score is something Canada's not permitted to do? That only countries like Russia and the U.S. get to do that? What's wrong with Canada not being a little greedy sometimes?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Finland looked the more organized team for most of the game. The same issues bogged Canada down -- pathetic PP, incohesive play and lack of puck support. Only reason the score was 1-0 Canada for so long was DiPietro's performance for most of the game.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
So you're saying that running up the score is something Canada's not permitted to do? That only countries like Russia and the U.S. get to do that? What's wrong with Canada not being a little greedy sometimes?

Running up the score and celebrating like they did after goals when they were way up was classless.

Reactions: Whaleafs

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Running up the score and celebrating like they did after goals when they were way up was classless.

Maybe class shouldn't mean a damn thing anymore within the Hockey Canada system. That's why were getting our butts kicked around the moon in international tournaments now.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Congratulations to Finland, who consistently show both determination and class in best-on-best competitions.

As with every loss for Canada, coaching will inevitably be the focal point of most of the frustration from those on here -- and in this circumstance, some of the criticism is warranted. For his tough guy persona, I'm surprised at how Hunter didn't correct the "junior play" of so many on the team. I get that they are still junior players, and as such, don't play a full, pro-style game, but I thought with the pedigree of so many on the team that they would learn to play a smarter, more efficient game -- especially against higher calibre opponents. I'm not sure there was a single shift that Frost or Hayton played in the last two games where they didn't try to toe drag the opposition when presented with an offensive opportunity. Having said that, both players are highly skilled who I hope thrive in the NHL.

Three of the more effective forwards to my eyes (today) were Tippet, Comtois (when he wasn't embarrassing himself), and Bowers (solely from a defensive perspective). The common denominator was a simple, but effective, north-south game with grit and determination. I'm not saying that the entire team should be constructed around this mentality, as it's proven disastrous in recent years, but to a certain degree that's always been a part of Team Canada's game, and this year, I felt it was missing when we needed it most.

I'm disappointed, but Canada deserved their fate; no need to look back on the string of bad luck towards the end. Need to learn from this and come back strong next year! Good luck to the Finns the rest of the way!

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Good job, Finland; I joe. That you guys win gold.
I thought that Canada played like shit for the tournament and had made horrible line-up decisions. We did not deserve to win and I think Canada needs to go back to the drawing board for next year

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada just isn't the dominant power it once was and will never be again, the days of winning 5 gold medals in a row are long gone.

And I don't want Canada's recent failures to win World and Olympic hockey titles to be used by the IIHF to have Hockey Canada thrown out of the Federation.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Canada still hasn’t come off the high of that first game. It was such a dominant performance that they forgot they had to play hockey for the rest of the tournament.

Nov 1, 2011
Maybe class shouldn't mean a damn thing anymore within the Hockey Canada system. That's why were getting our butts kicked around the moon in international tournaments now.

Maybe we need more class.

The crap we do to keep worse kids in the game is chasing good athletes away from the game.

If there's a good player in any age group, starting in Novice, they get "extra attention" with stickwork and physical play to slow them down.

Look at our prior game vs. Finland when we were losing and our captain threw a flagrant elbow at their goalie nowhere near the play.

These kind of plays are taking good athletes away from the game.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
We had the better players , The Finns had the better team . Just looked like something was missing all Championship for us and that
falls under preparation . , line juggling , player minutes .If it wasn't for Depietro , the game against the Finns would have been over early.Back to the drawing boards .Although unhappy with the outcome , I'm happy for the trio of teams left with the responsibility of taking the Russians down

Last edited:

cyborg

Nov 18, 2018
To me, this game was lost when team Canada just decided to lay back and protect 1 goal lead .

Helpmeplease

Jan 3, 2019
Hockey Canada has become a dumpster fire. Worst and most inconsistent decade for the juniors ever. For the love of God, please have another open ice summit. I know we can't compete with the USNDP funding, but there's no reason why we should continue to lose like this.
Don’t kid yourself hockey Canada is a big business they take a lot of money from all there programs just to get a chance to try out for the U 16 team BC it was like 3 grand if you made it to Shawnigan payed by the parents of the kids and that was only in BC

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I bet ridiculing Denmark isn't quite so amusing now

DvY4XLIXQAMpgsF.jpg

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad