Final Fantasy 16 (PS5)

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Looks incredible. New trailer wasn't as hype as the last, but still damn good. 2023 is gonna be a bloodbath for the history books

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Got my pre-order in.
Currently playing ffxii for the first time. Tho crisis core reunion came out today which I gotta get to as well

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats a lot shorter than ff7 remake which was like 2 years before it hit PC and still isn't on xbox.
Sounds like Microsoft is saying in their claims to the CMA that Sony has essentially locked up this and the Final Fantasy 7 remakes as console exclusives forever or some ridiculous window, because it was mentioned alongside Bloodborne (but that was published by Sony, and I believe they own the IP as they don't publish stuff they don't own the IP of). It did specify it as Xbox exclusions policy, but I am curious if it also includes whatever Nintendo's next gen system is, although I have a hard time seeing them make something that would be capable of running any of the PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy game, especially if they stick to console. So, my guess is 6 months until PC.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I am intrigued about the one party system. The game looks great. I enjoyed the previous one but the story was alittle incomplete. I think DLC helped fill in the holes but it still felt lacking complete storylines and loose ends in the main game. Though I haven't played the Royal edition..

I know the Kingsglaive movie,anime ,and DLC all tie together to explain what was unanswered in the main game but it should've just forgone all of that and put all of those plots in the actual game so people would've had a complete understanding of the whole lore. But I still enjoyed it all. Ardyn is one of my favorite villians in the whole series.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Apparently IGN got to sit in on a gameplay demo and they have some articles up about the battle system, the ring system to help overwhelmed players in said battle system, and how the SSD helps makes the transition from fighting to gameplay to story scenes seemless.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

As someone who isn't normally a huge fan of the direction they went with the battle system...that looks REALLY good. I can't wait till they start showing off the world. This game has some massive potential. Can't believe we are less than 4 months away (assuming no delays)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
God I can’t wait.

Just found out that this demo isn’t available until 2 weeks before release which is a bummer.

I am intrigued about the one party system. The game looks great. I enjoyed the previous one but the story was alittle incomplete. I think DLC helped fill in the holes but it still felt lacking complete storylines and loose ends in the main game. Though I haven't played the Royal edition..

I know the Kingsglaive movie,anime ,and DLC all tie together to explain what was unanswered in the main game but it should've just forgone all of that and put all of those plots in the actual game so people would've had a complete understanding of the whole lore. But I still enjoyed it all. Ardyn is one of my favorite villians in the whole series.
Royal Edition makes a huge difference and should have been how it was on release. But even still, not everything is clearly explained .

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The game looks great. I'm happy they're removing the open world, that was easily the worst part of FFXV. It's a shame we will likely have to wait 2 years for this to release on Steam.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The game looks great. I'm happy they're removing the open world, that was easily the worst part of FFXV. It's a shame we will likely have to wait 2 years for this to release on Steam.
Open world is always the BEST part of a final fantasy game. Being stuck following a predetermined linear path as opposed to exploration and discovery is what made the games start going downhill.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Open world is always the BEST part of a final fantasy game. Being stuck following a predetermined linear path as opposed to exploration and discovery is what made the games start going downhill.
Huh, FF games haven’t been a true open world games..like ever, aside from 15 and the online game. It’s amazing that 16 is not going to be open world like 15.

Not sure you understand what an “open world” game is.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Huh, FF games haven’t been a true open world games..like ever, aside from 15 and the online game. It’s amazing that 16 is not going to be open world like 15.

Not sure you understand what an “open world” game is.
I understand open world games by the definition they were known by for most of video gaming existence.

Final fantasy 1 was the most open world of the FF games. It took a hit from there

Final fantasy X and FF 13 are the two world most linear games in Final fantasy existence with the least amount of open world, forcing you to stay on the path, and they sucked for that reason. The rest can be debated how open they were.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've only played XIV and XV so I can't speak for the other games but the exploration and side quests in both of those games were painful to me and overall felt like unnecessary padding. XV has among the worst side quests of any game I've bothered completing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I understand open world games by the definition they were known by for most of video gaming existence.

Final fantasy 1 was the most open world of the FF games. It took a hit from there

Final fantasy X and FF 13 are the two world most linear games in Final fantasy existence with the least amount of open world, forcing you to stay on the path, and they sucked for that reason. The rest can be debated how open they were.
This will be like those games, not like X and 13 (though X is my favorite FF game). There will be some linear stuff but they all have aspects of that which I like.

Btw just read the main story will take about 35 hours. Glad it’s not more than that or something excessively long.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

There's a couple of ways to look at it. First, the modern concept of 'open world game' didn't exist when they started cranking out Final Fantasy's. The world map was the standard for JRPG's at the start, but no one considered them 'open world' games there wasn't the mindset for that and while you were free to roam generally it was always within boundaries with apart from a few outliers only one way forward.

Now you could say for the time that could technically be 'open world', but on the CRPG end you did have games that while in 2D do actually qualify for the broader definition. I have limited experience with the Ultima franchise, but playing Ultima IV. There were 8 cities in the game and each of the 8 classes you could be would start in one of those cities. Then there were other games that didn't have the same 'world map' that you get in a JRPG but didn't restrict where you went once outside of the starting area: Balders Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, and so on. So make of that what you will.

Personally, I like classifying the classic JRPG with something like the 4X of grand strategy games: Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate. For JRPG it doesn't have a catchy them to it but it's basically: Explore (world map), Town, Dungeon, Story. And I always hate it when people drop FFX in the same category as FFXIII. FXIII was bad for more reasons than just being 'linear', I could see the potential for what they were going for but overall the game world was practically empty and the story a mess. In both games you were mostly moving forward one direction, but X still had a good bit more variety to it and still had towns and dungeons to break up the tedium. And Blitzball! It wasn't truly on rails like XIII was.

And to get in one more comment, if this is what you judge a FF on then FF IX gets too much of a free pass. Technically it had the 'world map', but it was so tiny you may as well have been going in a straight line.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This will be like those games, not like X and 13 (though X is my favorite FF game). There will be some linear stuff but they all have aspects of that which I like.

Btw just read the main story will take about 35 hours. Glad it’s not more than that or something excessively long.
X is one of my least liked Final fantasy games, mostly because of Tidus being a whiny bitch with Daddy issues and having to listen to him sniveling all game because they overdid it with the cutscenes, and because its really linear and boring. I did like Auron and Kimari. But yeah when the main character is a crybaby, it takes away from the mood. At least Squall was just a silent brooding jerk. Tidus managed to be worse by several levels lol

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
There's a couple of ways to look at it. First, the modern concept of 'open world game' didn't exist when they started cranking out Final Fantasy's. The world map was the standard for JRPG's at the start, but no one considered them 'open world' games there wasn't the mindset for that and while you were free to roam generally it was always within boundaries with apart from a few outliers only one way forward.

Now you could say for the time that could technically be 'open world', but on the CRPG end you did have games that while in 2D do actually qualify for the broader definition. I have limited experience with the Ultima franchise, but playing Ultima IV. There were 8 cities in the game and each of the 8 classes you could be would start in one of those cities. Then there were other games that didn't have the same 'world map' that you get in a JRPG but didn't restrict where you went once outside of the starting area: Balders Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, and so on. So make of that what you will.

Personally, I like classifying the classic JRPG with something like the 4X of grand strategy games: Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate. For JRPG it doesn't have a catchy them to it but it's basically: Explore (world map), Town, Dungeon, Story. And I always hate it when people drop FFX in the same category as FFXIII. FXIII was bad for more reasons than just being 'linear', I could see the potential for what they were going for but overall the game world was practically empty and the story a mess. In both games you were mostly moving forward one direction, but X still had a good bit more variety to it and still had towns and dungeons to break up the tedium. And Blitzball! It wasn't truly on rails like XIII was.

And to get in one more comment, if this is what you judge a FF on then FF IX gets too much of a free pass. Technically it had the 'world map', but it was so tiny you may as well have been going in a straight line.
I wasn't a fan of 9 either and have only replayed it once. The fact that they were liberally trying to capitalize on the dragonball Z craze by making your character go Super Saiyan during trance and Trance Kuja being a literal Super Saiyan 4 was annoying enough, but the cartoony child stuff was overwhelming.

X I hated for reasons stated above.

Final fantasy 1, 2 and 3 for NES were all great. You could skip to dungeons you were not ready for and maybe sneak some weapons and spells. Figuring out what you could get away with was fun.

4, 5 and 6 for SNES were also great. 4 was probably the most linear and least free of those games, but managed to be fun with optional sidequests. 6 you could basically do stuff in whatever order you wanted once you reached world of ruin.

7 and 8 were more akin to 4 in terms of restrictions, but still fun.

10 and 13 deserve to be put in the same category for linear play. 10 was basically "Follow the story, watch cutscenes" but yeah had more variety than 13 at least.

12 was far far superior to both although the main story was meh. 12 was fun when you went to places you were not levelled and ready for yet and the hunts were the bomb.

in any case, 6 remains the best of the best for me. It was exactly what i wanted

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I completely disagree that how good a Final Fantasy is is remotely tied to how open it is. Maybe I can understand preferring one to have at least a tiny hint of it, for the sake of flavor (although my favorite FF, tactics, is pretty much 100% linear), but that's about as far as I can fathom.

If anything, I have greater concerns with FF becoming too open world, as I struggle to imagine that not undermining narrative structure somewhat.

Personally, I'll be using XVI as a litmus test for whether or not I like Yoshida's sensibilities.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
X is one of my least liked Final fantasy games, mostly because of Tidus being a whiny bitch with Daddy issues and having to listen to him sniveling all game because they overdid it with the cutscenes, and because its really linear and boring. I did like Auron and Kimari. But yeah when the main character is a crybaby, it takes away from the mood. At least Squall was just a silent brooding jerk. Tidus managed to be worse by several levels lol

You haven't truly experienced Tidus until you mod the game to replace the original soundtrack with this masterpiece

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I completely disagree that how good a Final Fantasy is is remotely tied to how open it is. Maybe I can understand preferring one to have at least a tiny hint of it, for the sake of flavor (although my favorite FF, tactics, is pretty much 100% linear), but that's about as far as I can fathom.

If anything, I have greater concerns with FF becoming too open world, as I struggle to imagine that not undermining narrative structure somewhat.

Personally, I'll be using XVI as a litmus test for whether or not I like Yoshida's sensibilities.
Its just the old school JRPG guy in me. Final fantasy 1 was a masterpiece to me. The start limited your destinations until you snagged the Airship 4 hours into the game, but once you had it, I liked nothing better than visiting every city and reading the conversations to figure out where to go next. As a kid, I beat the water and Air temples before even going to the volcano, which you were supposed to do before either of those lol. Sneaking into high level places like the mirage tower and grabbing tons of loot to beef up for the water temple finish run when you are not even supposed to be in the mirage tower until after the water temple, that sort of thing appeals to me.

Final fantasy 6 was similarly fun for me. once you get to world of Ruin, you can essentially pick up the characters in any order you wish and had to search around for stuff. We got stuck renting that game (me and my best friend) for weeks while we kept trying to "Walk" into Kefka's tower and thinking "We still don't have Locke, that's why we can't get in". Eventually he realized we missed the entire phoenix cave because we had not tried landing on it. We were so excited. And then when we beat the cave and could not "walk" into kefka's tower, we were maaad. But then we thought "maybe we can land on it too?" and were amazed it worked.

Subsequent run through's, we realized we could go into kefka's tower ANYTIME after we got the airship and started sneaking in with the moogle charm to get the high level weapons early on lol

Its the same reason I preferred Zelda 1 to Ocarina of time. And Ocarina illustrated the modern handholding of video games that I began to dislike. Having Navi the fairy go "HEY" every time she wanted to nudge you to follow the game's predetermined path took the true deep exploration and discovery element out of the game. it was impossible NOT to know where to go. The game was still very good and allowed a lot of exploration, but when i play Final fantasy X or 13, its impossible to not know what to do next because they basically force you to follow their straight line.

And I get it. Video games wanted to go mainstream and had to start making games for folks who need the simple experience(most people) instead of the power gamers who grew up playing different style.

Reactions: Jovavic

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
LOVED the story in X, which is probably why it my favorite. Also think it has the perfect battle/progression system. Tidus was definitely a bit whinny but it wasnt game-ruining for me.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad