Final Fantasy 16 (PS5)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm amazed at how little I'm looking forward to this. I know I'm in the minority, but Final Fantasy without turn-based battles just hasn't done anything for me.

Oh well. Hope it's great for yinz, regardless or not if the series has fully transitioned away from being in my wheelhouse. Nothing makes me feel quite so ancient like it being 23 years since the last FF I genuinely adored. Even if the entire concept of FFXIV was an immediate ignore for me, how Yoshida was able to turn that dumpster fire around into something that people who like that style of game actually enjoyed was mighty impressive and deserving of being handed the keys to the series.
2e18bdb0cad106b6d1dcf61e5cc82327.gif

Reactions: Gardner McKay

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Couple more previews, pretty much everyone is saying it has huge Game of Thrones vibes, absolutely f***ing LOVE that.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I'm amazed at how little I'm looking forward to this. I know I'm in the minority, but Final Fantasy without turn-based battles just hasn't done anything for me.

Oh well. Hope it's great for yinz, regardless or not if the series has fully transitioned away from being in my wheelhouse. Nothing makes me feel quite so ancient like it being 23 years since the last FF I genuinely adored. Even if the entire concept of FFXIV was an immediate ignore for me, how Yoshida was able to turn that dumpster fire around into something that people who like that style of game actually enjoyed was mighty impressive and deserving of being handed the keys to the series.
2e18bdb0cad106b6d1dcf61e5cc82327.gif

Hot boomer take.

I used to read comments like this 30 years ago on the old AOL message boards. People complained about the ATB system being too much of a departure from true turn based combat.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hot boomer take.

I used to read comments like this 30 years ago on the old AOL message boards. People complained about the ATB system being too much of a departure from true turn based combat.

I feel like a hot boomer take would be more along the lines of me saying that Final Fantasy is wrong for changing and bitching that things have changed rather than an aging fool accepting that it's just not for them anymore.

I legitimately hope the game winds up being GotY caliber. I just don't enjoy more action-oriented games and never have. Any series that changes genres is going to upset a sub-section of existing fans, see Zelda II, Fallout 3, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, etc. I'm just happy that there's actual alternatives for turn-based fans now, compared to the genre practically ceasing to exist on home consoles throughout my 20s.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I feel like a hot boomer take would be more along the lines of me saying that Final Fantasy is wrong for changing and bitching that things have changed rather than an aging fool accepting that it's just not for them anymore.

I legitimately hope the game winds up being GotY caliber. I just don't enjoy more action-oriented games and never have. Any series that changes genres is going to upset a sub-section of existing fans, see Zelda II, Fallout 3, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, etc. I'm just happy that there's actual alternatives for turn-based fans now, compared to the genre practically ceasing to exist on home consoles throughout my 20s.

I guarantee that I’m older than you, and I don’t have an issue with FF changing over the years. I’ve seen the backlash to ATB. I’ve seen the backlash to the sci fi settings. I’ve seen the backlash to voice acting, the gambit system, and everything else. FF has gone through significant changes from entry to entry since FFIV.

Maybe this has nothing to do with age and everything to do with your own close mindedness? I hated MMOs and actively avoided the genre for nearly two decades. Then I finally played XIV and, lo and behold, it’s probably the best written story in the entire series, and converted me to the genre overall.

You’re only punishing yourself here. If you truly had no interest in this game, you wouldn’t be in this thread.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Or it could be that 3+ decades of gaming is enough to figure out what I like and don't like and I just realized how close the game was to coming out. FFVII Remake was my most-hyped game ever and I bounced off of it because I wasn't having fun. I'm really struggling to figure out why someone accepting that something isn't for them after bouncing off of every one of the more actiony games can be read as some sort of attack. I don't need to play every new racing game to be released to verify that I still don't like something I've never enjoyed. Incidentally I keep giving the series my time and money despite it all and, well, I did not have the same reaction to XIV as you did. I appreciate what they did to turn that thing around, but my time with A Realm Reborn simply acted as further verification that I don't find that style of game fun.

Sorry I popped my head in here to comment on feeling weird to not be hyped about a Final Fantasy game for the first time since I learned how to read. I still hope the game is great and everyone enjoys it. My not enjoying something doesn't invalidate your enjoyment, nor does your enjoyment invalidate my difference in taste.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’m feeling more hyped for this one than I have in a long time, possibly since 12. I’m still able to scratch the JRPG itch with other games and as I play through Dragon Quest XI, it makes me happy that Final Fantasy has tried new things even if they don’t always pan out. My most anticipated game of the year by far.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Or it could be that 3+ decades of gaming is enough to figure out what I like and don't like and I just realized how close the game was to coming out. FFVII Remake was my most-hyped game ever and I bounced off of it because I wasn't having fun. I'm really struggling to figure out why someone accepting that something isn't for them after bouncing off of every one of the more actiony games can be read as some sort of attack. I don't need to play every new racing game to be released to verify that I still don't like something I've never enjoyed. Incidentally I keep giving the series my time and money despite it all and, well, I did not have the same reaction to XIV as you did. I appreciate what they did to turn that thing around, but my time with A Realm Reborn simply acted as further verification that I don't find that style of game fun.

Sorry I popped my head in here to comment on feeling weird to not be hyped about a Final Fantasy game for the first time since I learned how to read. I still hope the game is great and everyone enjoys it. My not enjoying something doesn't invalidate your enjoyment, nor does your enjoyment invalidate my difference in taste.
I feel you. I played XV. It was fine. I played FF7 Remaster part 1. As a game, it was good. As a remaster, it was poor. I just didn't have the same enjoyment that I did for the original FF7.

It is hard for people to fathom anything other than their own opinion being right, because that is what the internet is these days... everyone going into a large echo chamber with other individuals who hold the same opinions, while they laugh and drop stupid memes attacking others who disagree.

I drastically prefer turn-based gaming. There was more time spent on story and character development. Current games care too much about graphics and action combat mechanisms. I just don't find these games as addictive as I used to, where I would get a game on release day and dive in for hours and hours. I thought it had something to do with you know, the whole busy career and kids thing, but when Ogre Tactics Remaster was released, I found myself able to make time. Before I knew it, I had 30+ hours played in less than 7 days. I took off two days of work when Diablo 2: Resurrected was released.

I honestly couldn't care less about XVI. I'll get it when I have time and play through when I can. I'm more excited for a potential FFT Remaster than XVI.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Count me in as being more excited about an FFT remaster as well, but I'm still intrigued by FFXVI precisely because Yoshida seems influenced by the Matsuno (who I think is a genius) way of doing things. I'll be using this (especially the storytelling) as a litmus test for whether I can bring myself to be interested in XIV.

Also, I would say that most nostalgia-based arguments are dumb, and nostalgia as a whole is dumb, and you should be able to transparently see and judge through that mirage with even the tiniest amount of criticality. Even when there is an effect, there's no reason to think it's any greater or more likely than the effect of recency bias/modern novelty, so it's all pretty moot, in my eyes. Some old things are legitimately that good/better and some things aren't, and quality of life conveniences (which tend to be the biggest modern advantage) should never be the reason you find something valuable, IMO.

On a personal level though, while I generally prefer turn-based for other things, I think turn-based in these Square RPGs have never been all that great/special in the first place, and a move away from them is probably an improvement in most cases. Those old games were good in spite of this stuff, not because of them, and FFVIIR's hybrid approach (as much as I have other problems with that game and think the storytelling at times is kinda trash) has left a lot of those systems in the dust, IMO.

Last edited:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I have to say I've never been that much into Final Fantasy games, but I have to say this one is looking pretty good.

I just hope the eventual PC port is good.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

People still pre-order games? After all the disasters over the last years I thought people learned their lessons? Not sure why that guy would be concerned. People were still pre-ordering games all the time 7 years ago, FAR less are now.

If it's a good game it will sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad