Final Fantasy 16 (PS5)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Other thread was automatically closed due to inactivity.

Finally a bit of news:

Yoshida confirmed the progress in a pamphlet that accompanied the franchise's official clothing line, translated by Twitter user @aitaikimochi, saying "We're in the final stages of development for the numbered game in the series, Final Fantasy XVI."

Yoshida added that he thinks the game's story, which is obviously a very different experience from Final Fantasy 14 Online (which he also produces), is a fleshed-out experience that will bring older fans back.

"Unlike an online game that involves many players at the same time, Final Fantasy 16 offers a different experience where it focuses on the individual player and immerses you in the story," he said per the translation.

"For those who have grown up and realised that reality isn't kind to you and have drifted away from Final Fantasy, we hope that Final Fantasy 16 will be a game that can bring back anew the passion that you once had with the series."

He also promised that a big reveal would take place in spring this year, meaning it may not be long before fans find out when they can expect to play the game.

Given that Final Fantasy 16's development is in its final stages, and 2022 marks the franchise's 35th anniversary, it would certainly make sense for Square Enix to release the first mainline entry since 2016 this year.

Reactions: Master P

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I said this in the other thread probably but it basically looked the same as 15 graphics wise so I dont think Covid should slow them down too much. Good to hear its on track. Im looking forward to another banger from the legendary game developer: Creative Business Unit 3

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Surprised no one posted it yet. New trailer dropped yesterday, and we also have to wait till summer 2023.
Prob means remake2 sometime in 2024.

Reactions: Master P

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
This games gonna be good but next year. I guess it makes sense you dont want to cannibalize forspoken. Heres hoping forspoken absolutely bombs so they push ff16 forward.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This games gonna be good but next year. I guess it makes sense you dont want to cannibalize forspoken. Heres hoping forspoken absolutely bombs so they push ff16 forward.
They also may be hoping for notably more PS5's to be out in the wild by then

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Surprised no one posted it yet. New trailer dropped yesterday, and we also have to wait till summer 2023.
Prob means remake2 sometime in 2024.

I'm thinking we see Remake come out next Spring, and this gets delayed to Winter 2023 if I had to guess.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
by the way, there was some rumors this was unreal engine but I dont think it is, it doesn't have that unreal engine look to it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah looks like we could have a really good (single player) Final Fantasy game here. I don't know the ins and outs of the creative people at Square but a big positive takeaway for me from the trailer here is the story looks coherent, a big struggle for them since the PS2 days. Like when I finally got around to playing FFXIII I actually didn't mind it and thought there was potential for a very good game in there but the creator was too focused on making his fem-Cloud waifu look awesome (gotta start with a train scene!) that the delivery was just a coherent mess.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

GN: Watching the trailer, I find myself mentally comparing it to popular fantasy like Game of Thrones and The Witcher. In particular, the focus on political intrigue and the warring kingdoms, with Clive seemingly standing in for Geralt. What do you think of these comparisons?

Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, Localization Director:
The two series being so prominent, I suppose it’s hard to make a medieval high-fantasy game these days without drawing at least a few comparisons to Game of Thrones and The Witcher. And while we are ultimately aiming for something that we hope can stand alone on its own merits, the truth is, there are a lot of fans of Game of Thrones on the development team, and so you will find some instances of similarity in narrative themes and character design. For the most part, however, these similarities usually don’t extend much beyond a few outward features, be they concerning appearance or characterization.

LOVE how it's going to have a little bit of GoT vibes.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
This is all nice but show us some f***ing gameplay that isn’t a boss fight.

We’ve had three trailers and haven’t gotten a single frame of a character moving about the world or doing anything other than fighting a massive enemy. Makes me worried that it’s going to be more like a playable movie than a video game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This is all nice but show us some f***ing gameplay that isn’t a boss fight.

We’ve had three trailers and haven’t gotten a single frame of a character moving about the world or doing anything other than fighting a massive enemy. Makes me worried that it’s going to be more like a playable movie than a video game.
That’s pretty normal, for most games actually. They are only teasing stuff so far. They will eventually bombard us with previews but it’s not worth it to show unpolished gameplay. Game is still 9-10 or so months away. I think around Feb we will start seeing the gameplay.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats a lot shorter than ff7 remake which was like 2 years before it hit PC and still isn't on xbox.
My guess is that it hits PC in 6 months. No idea if and when it will ever go to Xbox. Seems Sony locked up a lot of stuff console-wise in regards to Final Fantasy.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Good job Square-enix, I'm actually kinda interested in this upcoming one. A little salty PC will have to wait a bit but whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00