Prospect Info: Filip Chytil (Pick #21 2017)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just curious, but what makes you think that?

I can’t help but entertain the thought that he might be comfortable, and perhaps more dangerous, overall,without the defensive responsibilities, faceoffs and other expectations that come with playing center. I think it might free him up considerably.

Even at the time he was drafted, he was both a winger/center, with opinions varying as to which position he would more likely play at the NHL level.

Personally, I’m not one who views moving a player to the wings as a demotion.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I'd really like to see Chytil stay at center for this team but any idea on Brett Howden's ceiling? That too could affect who plays center for this team in the future

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Chytil played what 35-odd games last season back home. This year preseason plus around 40 games with Rangers/Pack. I think it's the fatigue setting in which isn't a surprise especially for a teenager.

Reactions: Rangers743

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chytil played what 35-odd games last season back home. This year preseason plus around 40 games with Rangers/Pack. I think it's the fatigue setting in which isn't a surprise especially for a teenager.
Yep and he also played the WJC and some 4-Nations. He has probably played in the neighborhood of 52, 53 games. At higher levels of competition than the CHL, too. It's tough on a teen who admittedly needs to get stronger.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the range of some of these Howden predictions is way out of wack. I've not seen any good sources say he has any higher than 2C upside, and I've seen some peg him as bottom 6.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think the range of some of these Howden predictions is way out of wack. I've not seen any good sources say he has any higher than 2C upside, and I've seen some peg him as bottom 6.

Howden is nothing too special but he’s a good bet to be an NHL 2C/3C. Victor Rask seems like a good comparison. I see a little bit of Anisimov as well.

Chytil is our highest upside prospect. He still has a long way to come to reach that potential.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think most of the predictions on here top out as 2C. I think that’s reasonable. A good 2C is nothing to sneeze at - that’s Stepan, Zibanejad territory.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good sources? Lol what? These aren't rumors. It's player evaluation. Its all opinions and no single one is better than the other. Simple as that.

So if I said that McDavid is a 3C you would count that in the range of opinions on him?

There are some incredibly biased Ranger fans who are claiming he could be a 1C. Neutral evaluators, I've not seen any say he could be a 1C. I also don't think I've seen that on Andersson, but that doesn't stop Ranger fans here from comparing him to Bergeron and co.

I should also mention that I'm not trying to rag on any Ranger fans here. All fans are biased, its not out of the ordinary, but it doesn't mean its rational.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
So if I said that McDavid is a 3C you would count that in the range of opinions on him?

There are some incredibly biased Ranger fans who are claiming he could be a 1C. Neutral evaluators, I've not seen any say he could be a 1C. I also don't think I've seen that on Andersson, but that doesn't stop Ranger fans here from comparing him to Bergeron and co.

I should also mention that I'm not trying to rag on any Ranger fans here. All fans are biased, its not out of the ordinary, but it doesn't mean its rational.
Do you have anything to prove he can be a 1C? Do you have anything to proof he can't be a 1C? No? Okay then its just another opinion.

I like to listen to all kinds of opinions. But I take all of them with a grain of salt. I'd rather wait and see what the kid turns into when he hits the pros.

Also the McD analogy was terrible lol.

Edit: and we all know your not ragging on Rangers fans. Your just giving your honest opinion nothing wrong with that.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I'd really like to see Chytil stay at center for this team but any idea on Brett Howden's ceiling? That too could affect who plays center for this team in the future
When he got draft the quote was "If everything pans out he'll be a second line center with great defensive skills" So a lesser Lias Andersson IMO.

Future third line center

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“Chytil at his age, I saw him a few weeks ago, and shift to shift he dominated shifts,” an NHL scout said. “His skating … I can’t imagine in two or three years when he gets to ‘Man” strength. His stride is so pure. He beats guys outside, drives hard to the net, a solid power forward.

“I don’t know if I’d put him in the ‘top’ skill level, but it’s high end. He’s a really good player. Very young. You don’t see very many 18/19-year-olds … the last guy I saw dominate a game like that, a game I saw, (as a teen) that I saw was Mika Zibanejad when he was playing for Binghamton.”

Howden

Some scouts see him as a tough, competitive two-way, third-line center, others think he could be a second-liner.

“Good size, can skate, good compete,” said one scout. “I wonder a little bit about how much offense he might generate, but another good prospect. Whether he evolves to be a good second-third liner, or is he just a fourth-liner, I don’t know.”

Andersson

“We all saw in the World Juniors how well he played and especially playing with the injury (shoulder) as the tournament went on,” Drury said. “He wore the ‘C’ and we see him as exactly what we drafted him for, a really high hockey IQ, his hockey sense, how he handles himself, how he prepares day to day, and how he plays the game shift-to-shift has really been as advertised.

“He does a lot of things really, really well – understanding, at this young age, D-zone coverage, which a lot of guys take longer to understand, especially at center. He’s very good in his own zone. He’s good on faceoffs. Offensively, I think he’s probably a little underrated. He sees the ice so well and makes a lot of subtle plays that turn into big plays. I just think he has a really bright future ahead of him.”

A rival scout said, “Andersson’s not the greatest skater in town. Not bad. It’s not going to be a barrier or anything. It’s probably going to be something he needs to work on as he continues. Big, strong kid, though.”

The Rangers do have young center options in the system. They just need to be patient. Andersson and Chytil should be up soon. The Rangers want to see them in the NHL at the end of this season. They have 15 games remaining. Andersson can play 9 games and Chytil can play 7 more games without the burning the first season of the ELC. Expansion is coming soon. 20-21. Under the same expansion rules, both players would be exempt.

A detailed look at the top 10 prospects in the Rangers...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All sounds good. I'd be pretty surprised if a guy playing AHL hockey the way he is right now topped out as a fourth liner though, that seems like "realism" to the point of outright pessimism.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm taking improv classes now and the other day I saw an improv show with two of my teachers. One of the teachers did a bunch of wacky characters and had creative ideas. The other one was the "straight man", his support that was just a regular guy and heightened his scene partner's hijinks and made him look good. If you have no improv experience it's easy to fall into the trap and think that the straight man isn't pulling his weight and isn't as good as his partner. But if you did have the experience you notice the little things that he does to help move the scene along. Lias is the straight man and Chytil is his partner.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Howden

Andersson

The Rangers do have young center options in the system. They just need to be patient. Andersson and Chytil should be up soon. The Rangers want to see them in the NHL at the end of this season. They have 15 games remaining. Andersson can play 9 games and Chytil can play 7 more games without the burning the first season of the ELC. Expansion is coming soon. 20-21. Under the same expansion rules, both players would be exempt.

A detailed look at the top 10 prospects in the Rangers...
If Chytil can be a more consistent, injury free, version of Zibanejad I would be very happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad