Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Does this happen to all teams or did we get an unfair share ?
All teams
Last few years Flyers, Avs, and others, have had multiple key guys unavailable long term

But the Ch… curse is odd - Cherapanov, Cherneski, Chytil

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Poor kid is out for the season and yet they are still calling it an upper body injury.

Why don’t they just say what everyone already knows, it’s long term concussion issues.

Could raise some awareness while they are at. It’s serious. Seems a little insensitive I don’t know.

Regardless, this friggin stinks. Hope he isn’t affected long term and we’ll see him back on the ice healthy at some point in the future

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’d be surprised we ever see him again. But then again Crosby missed like 2 years and somehow came back never had a real problem again and is dominating at 36. Just feels like this kid is not made for this game doesn’t have the spacial awareness and clearly his brain is having trouble healing. Shouldn’t risk it any further. Take the insurance money man.

Reactions: gabevh3

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Will he be allowed to return in the playoffs now that they said this?
Allowed? Yes. But it sounds like they are planning on giving him till next training camp at the least.

Poor kid is out for the season and yet they are still calling it an upper body injury.

Why don’t they just say what everyone already knows, it’s long term concussion issues.

Could raise some awareness while they are at. It’s serious. Seems a little insensitive I don’t know.

Regardless, this friggin stinks. Hope he isn’t affected long term and we’ll see him back on the ice healthy at some point in the future
I was going to say “who cares what they tell us since we all already know,” but you make an excellent point about awareness.

Reactions: gabevh3

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
<<< Has dealt with post-concussive syndrome that wasn't properly managed because at the time, they hardly knew what that was, and let me tell you, it's life-changing and absolutely horrible.

Long story short, after my last concussion, I began experiencing vertigo, SEVERE anxiety attacks, light sensitivity, bouts with depressions, etc etc etc. However, when I say anxiety attacks, I mean 24/7 for over a year at one point. If any of you have dealt with these, imagine just being stuck in one for a year.

It took 15 years for me to get back to what I'd say is about 70% of "normal". I'd say I have existed at about 85% since then. Mind you I'm in my late 40's now, and this last occurred when I was 19. I've got a fantastic, fulfilling life, but I went through hell, and took a lot of work to get to where I am today.

As much as I enjoy watching him play, and as much as I hate losing a player like that, I really hope he never plays again for his own sake. The thing with concussions, especially with someone like him who has had multiple in a relatively short period is that each subsequent concussion makes you even MORE susceptible to another, which often require less force to occur than before as well, hence why he was just probably pushing himself a little too hard at practice and relapsed. Either way, i hope the kid comes out the other side of this able to live a happy, healthy life. Hockey shouldn't even be a secondary or tertiary thought.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
<<< Has dealt with post-concussive syndrome that wasn't properly managed because at the time, they hardly knew what that was, and let me tell you, it's life-changing and absolutely horrible.

Long story short, after my last concussion, I began experiencing vertigo, SEVERE anxiety attacks, light sensitivity, bouts with depressions, etc etc etc. However, when I say anxiety attacks, I mean 24/7 for over a year at one point. If any of you have dealt with these, imagine just being stuck in one for a year.

It took 15 years for me to get back to what I'd say is about 70% of "normal". I'd say I have existed at about 85% since then. Mind you I'm in my late 40's now, and this last occurred when I was 19. I've got a fantastic, fulfilling life, but I went through hell, and took a lot of work to get to where I am today.

As much as I enjoy watching him play, and as much as I hate losing a player like that, I really hope he never plays again for his own sake. The thing with concussions, especially with someone like him who has had multiple in a relatively short period is that each subsequent concussion makes you even MORE susceptible to another, which often require less force to occur than before as well, hence why he was just probably pushing himself a little too hard at practice and relapsed. Either way, i hope the kid comes out the other side of this able to live a happy, healthy life. Hockey shouldn't even be a secondary or tertiary thought.

And if a person battles back to get to that point, why would they risk it again? Why would he even want to try and come back?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
And if a person battles back to get to that point, why would they risk it again? Why would he even want to try and come back?

Because his lifelong goal is to be a professional hockey player? People have different goals and risk tolerances. If he wants to do it, and accepts the risk, then why wouldn't he?

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Imagine being his age and being told virtually the only thing he's ever known, the thing he's obsessed over since childhood, etc etc is about to be taken away.

I was considered a highly logical, intelligent, insightful kid, well beyond my years at the time, and even then it took four relapses of my last concussion for me to finally get the message. Acceptance is a tough stage of grief to arrive at.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Glad you're feeling better. Everything you said here is 100% true and spot on. Thankfully medical science is starting to understand concussions and post-concussion syndrome more and more each year. It is serious.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Because his lifelong goal is to be a professional hockey player? People have different goals and risk tolerances. If he wants to do it, and accepts the risk, then why wouldn't he?
If he wants to do it and accepts it, then sure. I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

My point was after reading Brief Candle's post, it's hard to imagine wanting to risk that quality of life again.

Of course I have no idea what it's like to work to be a pro athlete.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
My heart goes out to Fil. I really hope he's able to completely rest and recover. It looks like the team was trying to do right by him and not rush him back, but this is officially career-ending territory.

Forget about any timeline on this thing. The team made the right decision in shutting him down for the year. He has 3 more years on his deal after this one, and the financial security that provides. There's no rush.

Reactions: tlk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Filip's been rocked a number of times with the Rangers. He has an issue of being caught unawares. That may have been the hardest I've seen Jesper Fast hit anybody but when you look at it Fil didn't see it coming. The point is hockey is a physical game and any player has got to know when a hit is coming their way and learn how to get hit without getting completely destroyed. Filip if he can come back from this needs to learn how to protect himself better.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had a feeling this could happen, especially after the set back. Get well soon, dude.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
A real shame, such a talent and a real gem of pick-up we hardly ever manage to find.

Hopefully he can come back stronger and he is able to get beyond these and have a long and fruitful career with NYR.

Reactions: tiggles and tlk

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_9450.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad