Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Tbh if the ESPN and JSB things are true, that's just incredible shit luck and almost *less* worrying in a way.

It's so Rongos it hurts though

This has nothing to do with Jake. Hockey players fall on the ice during games ALL the time.

To be clear, while i jokingly implied otherwise earlier, I don't think it does whatsoever. Just bad f***ing luck

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Anyway you cut it, whether it was non contact, he fell or crashed into boards, helmet on or off…

(it would be absurd having him out there without one on, so that’s extremely doubtful)

Its terrible news since it’s concussion related. Just horrible.

What a shitty day

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
How is it less worrying?

Because those reports said that he fell because he accidentally stepped on a stick during drills. Not that he fell due to concussion symptoms/after effects

"According to a few sources, Filip Chytil was in a minimal contact battle drill with Jake Leschyshyn, stepped on his stick and fell"

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because those reports said that he fell because he accidentally stepped on a stick during drills. Not that he fell due to concussion symptoms/after effects
What does it matter if the end result is the same? The falling on the stick has caused him concussion symptoms/after effects.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What does it matter if the end result is the same? The falling on the stick has caused him concussion symptoms/after effects.

Is it really hard to understand?

1. He falls down on his own for no reason during a light slate. This is obviously a major concern as you don’t know why it happened or what caused it.

2. He falls down because he tripped on a stick and (possibly) hits his head on the ice. The end result is bad and still concerning but you know exactly what happened. It wasn’t a random reoccurance. There was a trauma that caused it.

We dont even know how serious this setback is. For all we know he’ll feel fine in two days and be back on the ice. Or it might be two months. Nobody knows, the team doesn’t say anything, and the reporters are useless. Option (1) would be significantly more concerning as they’d have to do extensive testing to determine the root cause of the issue.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

1. He falls down on his own for no reason during a light slate. This is obviously a major concern as you don’t know why it happened or what caused it.

2. He falls down because he tripped on a stick and (possibly) hits his head on the ice. The end result is bad and still concerning but you know exactly what happened. It wasn’t a random reoccurance. There was a trauma that caused it.

We dont even know how serious this setback is. For all we know he’ll feel fine in two days and be back on the ice. Or it might be two months. Nobody knows, the team doesn’t say anything, and the reporters are useless. Option (1) would be significantly more concerning as they’d have to do extensive testing to determine the root cause of the issue.
Yeah sure, I got you now. I just disagree with the bolded. Yes, you also said it could be two months, but I'd say that's pretty likely considering the circumstances. Hell, two months is actually underselling it.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Even if he tried to come back this season I think he never fully recovered from the concussion the previous season when Sillinger (CBJ) hit his chin, and that hit was on top of previous concussion issues.

Just horrible news. Best of luck Fil. He is one of the few players that bring something different in style to this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slaydagnar

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Obviously everything is speculation at this point but I think best case scenario for the Rangers is him coming back for the playoffs. Mediocre case is he's back for training camp next year. Worst case is that he's Michael Sauer 2.0 and makes a life changing call.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Obviously everything is speculation at this point but I think best case scenario for the Rangers is him coming back for the playoffs. Mediocre case is he's back for training camp next year. Worst case is that he's Michael Sauer 2.0 and makes a life changing call.
The Rangers put him on LTIR for the next three seasons or trade the contract to a team needing to reach the floor but those deals aren't so common anymore. Arizona is out of that business and they may move to Utah.

Chytil won't retire. He will collect his money back in Czechia.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He's passionate about the sport by all accounts - I'm sure that's a decision he won't make lightly.

I have family who works/has worked with NHL players whose lives have been wrecked by concussions. It's an easy choice if the symptoms are lingering. Is it worth it if you have to lie on a bed in a dark room for most waking hours every day years after you have stopped playing?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I have family who works/has worked with NHL players whose lives have been wrecked by concussions. It's an easy choice if the symptoms are lingering. Is it worth it if you have to lie on a bed in a dark room for most waking hours every day years after you have stopped playing?

Yeah, I understand. We don’t know what we don’t know.

Still, if he had a setback fairly easily his future is somewhat dubious.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Important to consider his contract. He is "fortunate" that this happened after he signed a deal that can provide for him long-term. Much harder to step away if he was still on ELC or short bridge deal.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

Its actually more worrying that such a minor incident caused a setback…

"According to a few sources, Filip Chytil was in a minimal contact battle drill with Jake Leschyshyn, stepped on his stick and fell"
It’s more worrying that such a minor incident caused symptoms….

Reactions: gabevh3

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I don't see how either narrative is "better." These are both awful:

-Either he can't play by himself on the ice to vertigo/vestibular/balance issues and fell, which is extremely worrying since this basically means he's an injury risk to himself by going to a sticks and pucks.

Or

-He stepped on a stick and fell on the ice. Falling on the ice is something every player experiences dozens, even hundreds of times a season. Since all NHL players are capable of avoiding hitting their head on the ice when falling assuming they are not knocked out by a hit first or hit headfirst into the boards (and Chytil was not knocked out by a hit or hit headfirst into the boards), then that means the simple act of falling with gravity from his own height and not hitting his head, rattled his cage enough to trigger secondary effects. This is still extremely bad news. It would mean plopping in a couch too hard is dangerous to his brain right now.

Neither one of these outcomes is better than the other, and both mean serious long-term concerns about Chytil's ability to come back or play NHL hockey again.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
There is no possible way it’s more worrying that symptoms were caused by a known event than by an unknown cause.
buddy he has had multiple concussions - we know the cause….the issue is his symptoms came back from a minor fall. He clearly cannot play a shift in the NHL

Reactions: CLW

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
buddy he has had multiple concussions - we know the cause….the issue is his symptoms came back from a minor fall. He clearly cannot play a shift in the NHL

Well if he fell down on his own for no reason we wouldn’t know the cause, buddy.

Additionally, buddy, we don’t know if it was a minor fall because nobody saw what happened. For all we know he hit his head hard on the ice. Or maybe he didn’t. Nobody has said.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad