Speculation: Ferland and his future with the Canes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So, if you are going to trade valuable assets to get a pending UFA, why would you make that trade unless you thought you were going to be able to sign that person? It makes no sense.

Oh, BTW the article is behind a paywall. Is there a reason this Sarah person should be listened to?
It's certainly possible they took the risk thinking they would be able to sign him, and it just didn't turn out that well. I guess that's why they insisted on Fox, albeit another signing risk, in the trade.

Reactions: Unsustainable

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
So, if you are going to trade valuable assets to get a pending UFA, why would you make that trade unless you thought you were going to be able to sign that person? It makes no sense.

Oh, BTW the article is behind a paywall. Is there a reason this Sarah person should be listened to?

The Athletic is a subscription based sports news app/site. No ads and the quality of the writing is pretty consistently good. Sarah pretty much has her finger on the pulse of the fanbase, she's integegrated nicely into out fandom.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Athletic is a subscription based sports news app/site. No ads and the quality of the writing is pretty consistently good. Sarah pretty much has her finger on the pulse of the fanbase, she's integegrated nicely into out fandom.
She has been a pretty good addition in her writing and her integration into the team fanbase, for sure. Which is great considering how much hand wringing there was when she was announced by some people. She does seem to indicate that she has sources of some kind at this point, but whether she does, or she's just regurgitating info from Forslund and other outlets that have reported on the same things, who knows.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
If you follow Twitter, Dundon is getting blown up about signing Ferland. The people love him. He brings a toughness we haven't seen since Gleason (and he's tougher), and he also happens to be a talented forward. If Dundon misses on this one, he's gonna have a pissed off fan base. The only acceptable reason is A) He doesn't want to sign here ( I doubt) and/or B) He's got an outrageous ask that can't be negotiated (I also doubt).

Dundon is under a lot of pressure. He better play his cards right, since he's so publically playing the GM role. If these signings don't go well, he won't have a GM to blame it on. DW is a pawn, and everyone knows that.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
She has been a pretty good addition in her writing and her integration into the team fanbase, for sure. Which is great considering how much hand wringing there was when she was announced by some people. She does seem to indicate that she has sources of some kind at this point, but whether she does, or she's just regurgitating info from Forslund and other outlets that have reported on the same things, who knows.

Sara has embedded herself more effectively and in just a few months no less, than anyone has in 20 years of covering this team. She's changing the landscape of Hurricanes coverage entirely.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If you follow Twitter, Dundon is getting blown up about signing Ferland.
On the NHL network this morning during their regular Monday chat with Elliot Friedman, he specifically mentioned the Dundon Tweet about the "culture change" referencing the after game storm surge and all of the fan responses that were overwhelmingly "sign Ferland".

It has not gone unnoticed by anyone.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
On the NHL network this morning during their regular Monday chat with Elliot Friedman, he specifically mentioned the Dundon Tweet about the "culture change" referencing the after game storm surge and all of the fan responses that were overwhelmingly "sign Ferland".

It has not gone unnoticed by anyone.

Let's hope Dundon isn't an idiot. I'm starting to have my doubts.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's certainly possible they took the risk thinking they would be able to sign him, and it just didn't turn out that well. I guess that's why they insisted on Fox, albeit another signing risk, in the trade.
If we only have Hamilton out of this trade, as has been said before it was a colossal mess up that could set up back for awhile. We really need our team to be above that sort of asset mismanagement. We don’t have enough assets to waste a single one.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If you follow Twitter, Dundon is getting blown up about signing Ferland. The people love him. He brings a toughness we haven't seen since Gleason (and he's tougher), and he also happens to be a talented forward. If Dundon misses on this one, he's gonna have a pissed off fan base. The only acceptable reason is A) He doesn't want to sign here ( I doubt) and/or B) He's got an outrageous ask that can't be negotiated (I also doubt).

Dundon is under a lot of pressure. He better play his cards right, since he's so publically playing the GM role. If these signings don't go well, he won't have a GM to blame it on. DW is a pawn, and everyone knows that.
Ferland is a beast and a favorite Cane of mine but Gleason is on another plane of toughness. Like I bet his carpets are made of LEGO’s tough.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Sara has embedded herself more effectively and in just a few months no less, than anyone has in 20 years of covering this team. She's changing the landscape of Hurricanes coverage entirely.

I appreciate the way she's jumped in and become part of the team, but I still think the "asking the tough questions" part of the job is missing. There are about 3-4 stories that I'd have jumped on the first week that are still out there, but they're controversial and would ruffle some feathers. Sara seems perfectly capable, but nobody has to worry about their feathers.

I hope Tom is prepared for the potential fallout if Ferland walks. At the very least he needs to clearly articulate his vision for the organization and explain why we should be along for the ride. If it's goal scoring we're after, it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade a player who is tied for second with 13, particularly after we unloaded players who are now 2nd and 23rd in the league. We also wanted toughness. Well we've got that in Ferland and toughness in the top six doesn't come cheap. It would be easier to swallow if were weren't dead last in spending.

Perfectly said.

To me, it comes down to a plan. Dundon has one. He hasn't shared it with anyone, nor has it been easy to define by watching. But there's really only one "plan" that would justify letting Ferland go, and it's not a good one for us.

Any plan that has as a goal making the playoffs, competing for championships, changing the culture, making Carolina a desirable destination, etc., includes Ferland. It's really that simple to me. If he goes, none of those things are in Dundon's plan, and I have no reason to support it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I appreciate the way she's jumped in and become part of the team, but I still think the "asking the tough questions" part of the job is missing. There are about 3-4 stories that I'd have jumped on the first week that are still out there, but they're controversial and would ruffle some feathers. Sara seems perfectly capable, but nobody has to worry about their feathers.

I agree, but I also think she's working (rather quickly) to build some trust with the org as well. She's young, and I think the best is yet to come from her. I could definitely see her venturing out more with her coverage as time crawls along.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Perfectly said.

To me, it comes down to a plan. Dundon has one. He hasn't shared it with anyone, nor has it been easy to define by watching. But there's really only one "plan" that would justify letting Ferland go, and it's not a good one for us.

Any plan that has as a goal making the playoffs, competing for championships, changing the culture, making Carolina a desirable destination, etc., includes Ferland. It's really that simple to me. If he goes, none of those things are in Dundon's plan, and I have no reason to support it.
Boom. Said it much better than I’ve been able to. If Ferland walks the plan is nothing I want part of.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ferland is a beast and a favorite Cane of mine but Gleason is on another plane of toughness. Like I bet his carpets are made of LEGO’s tough.
Talk about getting emotional, Gleason showed way more toughness than Ferland has to this point, and that's not to denigrate Ferland. I feel like before this is all over we will have not signed the most interesting man in the world. We have people that would easily pay Ferland before TT, he's tough as nails because he had that one fight that one time, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. You guys really are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I know it's a cliché, but it takes two to tango. Perhaps, despite his feel good comment early in the season, Ferland simply wants to explore free agency, simply thinks that unless and until he does that, he won't be exposed to the best deal he can get. There's nothing that Tom Dundon and his plan can do about that. People are all up in his grill about re-signing the guy and we should even overpay a little to do so....but if he's looking at 7 or 8 years in term, do we want to be the team that does that (or be the team that succumbs to "term" as a negotiating ploy to get him to the open market)?

Frankly, I'd love to sign him....would love 4 years, would go to 5 years, and might even hold my breath on a 6 year deal. Right now there's lots of "negotiating in the press" going on.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wonder how Dundon feels about NTCs and NMCs. That's another one of those sports things that we take for granted as the cost for doing business these days, but can lead to Skinner like situations where you don't have options if you need to move on from a player. I wonder if a hesitancy to give one to a somewhat non core player would have anything to do with hesitancy on a big deal to a player like Ferland.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah one thing I don’t think anyone can say about Dundon is that he atleast listens to the fans. Whether he decides to go with what they said is a different story but he’s definitely listening.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Id Love to resign Ferland but there is always a possibility he just wont want to resign. If we are forced to make a trade it better be a similar player or great young propsect in return not another bunch of nickels like the Skinner deal.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Talk about getting emotional, Gleason showed way more toughness than Ferland has to this point, and that's not to denigrate Ferland. I feel like before this is all over we will have not signed the most interesting man in the world. We have people that would easily pay Ferland before TT, he's tough as nails because he had that one fight that one time, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. You guys really are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I get the defending of Gleason. I was a fan too, but you have to look at Ferlands body of work not just what he's done here. He's a monster when he gets going, and I'm not sure the guy has ever lost a fight, definitively.

Although, I'm sure he has and there's video to prove, it hasn't been many. Point is, even if Ferland is only as tough as Gleason (which I contest), he's also on pace for 28 goals.

I understand the emotional response. He represents fight. We need fight on this team of middling crap.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I get the defending of Gleason. I was a fan too, but you have to look at Ferlands body of work not just what he's done here. He's a monster when he gets going, and I'm not sure the guy has ever lost a fight, definitively.

Although, I'm sure he has and there's video to prove, it hasn't been many. Point is, even if Ferland is only as tough as Gleason (which I contest), he's also on pace for 28 goals.

I understand the emotional response. He represents fight. We need fight on this team of middling crap.
From what I can tell, he had one beastly year and playoffs, and his legend is more than the way he plays at this point. Gleason was certainly tougher for a longer period of time to me, but if you disagree, no worries. That's not to say he isn't tough, physical, and totally valuable, just I think it's being overstated, especially since we've been lacking in that department.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
From what I can tell, he had one beastly year and playoffs, and his legend is more than the way he plays at this point. Gleason was certainly tougher for a longer period of time to me, but if you disagree, no worries. That's not to say he isn't tough, physical, and totally valuable, just I think it's being overstated, especially since we've been lacking in that department.

Which is precisely why it's not overstated. Players like him don't come around that often. Is he really tougher than Gleason? Who the f*** knows, that is just friendly banter, but the bottom line is we need a player like Ferland on this team and we currently have one. It would be nice to keep him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd like to keep him too, but that involves a lot of variables, and it's not at any cost like most are treating it. No matter how sorely we need players like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad