Speculation: Ferland and his future with the Canes

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The inner rumblings after this weekend are, that he doesn't want to sign here.

I think it was Forslund who said something along the lines of "either he's traded before the deadline or walks to test free agency". Like there wasn't a 3rd option. So it's being speculated that he has no intention of signing before July 1st. Or maybe they want us to believe that?; )

Yeah, that is the nuance I was going for. Who is putting it out there that HE doesn't want to sign here? He may not, I have no idea, but I do remember that Ferland did say the first week of the season that he'd love to stay here in an unprompted statement after one of the wins. He may have changed his mind, but if this "inner rumbling" is coming from the club, I won't believe it after the "hard to sign" statements about Lindy and Hanifin BS that they threw out before trading them.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Fair.

Here’s the issue with the guy they hired for that reason. He FUBARedLindholm and Hanifin’s situation and hasn’t signed Aho yet.

I have zero confidence he, or any of the other dimwits in the front office have any idea what they are doing.
to be fair - I'd be willing to bet Aho was never signing before the season. He (and his agent were betting on him) and its paying of to the tune of multiple millions of dollars.

Agree on Lindholm and Hanifin

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
It really all falls on the internal cap. in order to sign Aho, TT, 2 goalies, some key depth guys, and fill out the rest of the roster we will likely be spending about 6-7 million more than we are now. I think that if we don't lose Staal and/or Rask's contracts we will neither be retaining Ferland nor signing a big name UFA.
If Carolina doesn't sign Ferland , The Hurricane's will be on most players non trade clause. Sign the guy decent numbers positive plus minus. The guy you want to protect your elite players. Not a good message to send to your stars when they approach free agency or potential young kids. Carolina was interested in Saad his cap is 6 thru 20/21.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
On a positive note I am sure Dundon noticed the arena yesterday. He should be able to tell that if we put a good product on the ice the atmosphere is completely different. Maybe that will help to persuade him to write some checks.
a concern, however, is that it's the same product (cheap. think Skinner) that's performing well. I hope it doesn't validate to him that he can cheap out and still field a team capable of mediocrity

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For arguments sake: At what price point do you let him walk?

Everyone assumes he's going to ask in the $5 million range. What if he's decided he can try for higher in FA? Would you pay $6 mill? $7?

Here is what I'd offer Ferland:
  1. $6M for 4 years with some lockout protection and signing bonus
  2. $5.5M for 5 years with signing bonus
  3. $5M for for 6 years salary only
Then, you negotiate around the offer that appeals the most.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
First step here is we put Rask on waivers as soon as Staal or Bishop are back healthy. If one of them goes down again, I have no reason to believe that Roy cant do as good or better a job than Rask. If he gets picked up then there is 4 mil you just gained. I also think we should be open to trading Staal and seeing what we can get for him, if anything.

The question for you salary cap knowledgable people: If they did get rid of those two before the deadline, would we be over the floor for the season?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
First step here is we put Rask on waivers as soon as Staal or Bishop are back healthy. If one of them goes down again, I have no reason to believe that Roy cant do as good or better a job than Rask. If he gets picked up then there is 4 mil you just gained. I also think we should be open to trading Staal and seeing what we can get for him, if anything.

The question for you salary cap knowledgable people: If they did get rid of those two before the deadline, would we be over the floor for the season?
Getting rid of Staal would surely require some salary coming back to the point it probably wouldn't make any difference this year. The hope with moving Staal is that it frees up salary in the future. Boy, I'm wishing we took that 2nd for Rask from Montreal right about now...

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

I think we are about 2.8 mil over the floor as it is. The remaing cap hit for Rask and Staal for the rest of the year is ~4.5 million. So no, we could not get rid of both of them w/out taking back a player or players paid about 3-4 million.

My math could be wrong though

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I think we are about 2.8 mil over the floor as it is. The remaing cap hit for Rask and Staal for the rest of the year is ~4.5 million. So no, we could not get rid of both of them w/out taking back a player or players paid about 3-4 million.

My math could be wrong though

Ok, I figured something like that was going to be the case. We also obviously still need to get rid of a D or two, so maybe since it is buyers market we could get started on our summer early, and get that salary back we would need in the reshaping of this team.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anything that comes from the team that he doesn’t want to sign here is suspect at best. I don’t trust any narrative our management puts out to justify any move. Which is a first during the existence of the Canes.

He may not want to stay, but I won’t believe it from the team.

I’ll pay six a year without blinking. I’d give five years without blinking. We signed him when we traded for him, waiting too long is our own fault. I wouldn’t let this guy go to save a million or a year off his contract.

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
I hope Tom is prepared for the potential fallout if Ferland walks. At the very least he needs to clearly articulate his vision for the organization and explain why we should be along for the ride. If it's goal scoring we're after, it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade a player who is tied for second with 13, particularly after we unloaded players who are now 2nd and 23rd in the league. We also wanted toughness. Well we've got that in Ferland and toughness in the top six doesn't come cheap. It would be easier to swallow if were weren't dead last in spending.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Does anyone have any info as to why he was wearing the NHLPA hat? Does he always wear it? That's the first time I'd seen it.

I assumed he was a player rep, but he isn't one for Carolina this year (Faulk, Martinook as alternate) and he wasn't one for Calgary last year (Brouwer, Tkachuk)

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will say, with all the reactions here and tweets and whatnot, it certainly speaks to his claim of trying to not make emotional decisions. Now, whether that's really the case, or he's just being cheap, we'll see. As I think Sara Civ mentioned in her article, if we move Ferland for assets, but somehow brought in a player like Tarasenko, maybe that takes some of the sting off. I do wonder if there really is long term value in defining what a player is worth and sticking to that. That may be ingrained in him as a businessman and could end up being one of those things that he's going to have to learn the hard way. Or it could end up being the kind of thing that has been in place in sports for so long that needs some fresh perspective breathed into it. He's definitely struggled to separate the regular business world from the sports business world. It may work out in the long run, and these stands could end up being a big change. Or he could just be a cheap idiot. Time will tell.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does anyone have any info as to why he was wearing the NHLPA hat? Does he always wear it? That's the first time I'd seen it.
I can't find but I vaguely remember hearing that there's a limited allowed head wear (as the logos go) that a player can wear when "in uniform". Only official team wear or somesuch, and NHLPA obviously would be an allowed exception. If you're a bit in the odds with the team, like far away in negotiations, maybe NHLPA is kind of the only allowed method of mild protestation as the apparel go.

I believe it's a very special allowance in the actual rules that the back-up goalie can wear a cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: