Speculation: Ferland and his future with the Canes

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
I like the fact Ferland wants to stay. If it ends up being 8 years though, that makes me nervous. That can hamstring a team, and is a ton of risk for a heavy power forward, even one much more proven

I could live with 8 years if it was at 5 but like you said makes me nervous but it’s a hell of a lot better than 6 or 7 million.

I’ve always remembered that he said “ I want to stay in Carolina” during one of the interviews and according to Sara it was out of the blue and seemed in earnest. While I understand him wanting to make bank if you want to stay that bad a little discount don’t hurt especially if we are giving you the term. Not talking 2 millions or more. So we will see what happens.

At some point your going to have to overpay for a fan favorite to appease those fans. I look at it from a more neutral standpoint.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I don't know how insuring a contract works, but eight years for a guy with Ferland's game seems hella risky.

Still, maybe there's a sensible way to mitigate that risk. I hope so. It's nice to hear players say they want to stay.

But once he's making that money, will his game stay the same? Who can ever know?

It's voodoo, this business.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
it would not be the first time that Cory Lavalette guy speculated something that was completely wrong. i remember a few seasons ago he said something on twitter about one of our goalies having a concussion or something. The canes PR guy responded to him basically saying that wrong and you shouldn't put out stuff that has no truth to it.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ferland........The Nino Niederreiter Factor
by Matt Karash | Jan 21, 2019 | Daily Cup of Joe

Ferland’s value to the Hurricanes could also be affected by how well newly-acquired Nino Niederreiter plays down the stretch. At least at a top level, Ferland and Niederreiter are similar players as power forwards who can score. So if Niederreiter slides up onto a top scoring line and Ferland instead slides down and both players score accordingly, Niederreiter could effectively replace Ferland and make him available for trade.
1–First, I do not feel comfortable signing Ferland to a contract with more than a few years of term just because of the risk with his track record. Per what I said above, I just think that the broader population too much considers Ferland a sure thing after 40-ish game and then 25-ish game surges.
2–This might sound odd, but I would actually rather pay more salary and not take on full term. If it is possible, I would sign Ferland to a contract with 1-3 years remaining. It likely is not possible, but I would sign Ferland to a three-year deal at $6 or even $6.5 million per year before I signed him to a long-term deal spanning more than a year.
3–Though Niederreiter does make it a bit easier to let Ferland go, I do not see Niederreiter’s arrival as making Ferland obsolete. The Hurricanes could actually use two scoring power forwards.
4–So at 5-6 years at $6.5 million or more, I would be begrudgingly consider trading him versus taking on maximum risk with this contract.
5–But at a lower price, I like Ferland as the type of player the Hurricanes need as a power forward.
Considering Micheal Ferland | Canes & Coffee

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ferland has made it known he’s more about term than anything else. What does that mean? Hard to say, I’m sure he’s asking for 8 but knows that’s unrealistic for anyone less than star players so he has to have an actual number of years he’s willing to accept if he can get to it.

I’m guessing 5-6. He knows teams want 3-4 so if he picks a fight about it, it’s because he may choose the best team he can go to that gives him the 5-6. So maybe the TT deal helps define it. Maybe we offer 5.5 for 5-6 and hold there. He can ask for more than TT because of Ufa. He may get it out there.

It’s still a good offer. I know I desperately want the guy signed but I don’t want 8 years for anyone - even Aho. I’m just really aggravated about the summer trade and it’s trickle down effect. I feel like they had to sign him after trading for him. He was he only culture change in the trade and he’s brought it. He’ll always miss games but you have to take risks. TT is a risk too.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm very leary about signing Ferland after last night. Where was he? Rod said "he couldn't go" earlier in the day. If it was a virus/cold thing, then sure. But he was listed as "an upper body concern" and if it was his head due to his fight the previous game, I don't think I'd be comfortable with any contract.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm very leary about signing Ferland after last night. Where was he? Rod said "he couldn't go" earlier in the day. If it was a virus/cold thing, then sure. But he was listed as "an upper body concern" and if it was his head due to his fight the previous game, I don't think I'd be comfortable with any contract.

This is a big deal. I'm less and less interested in Ferland at any cost as we get to know the player. Maybe that's the narrative, but if he's not playing, what's he worth? He's only going to get more "careful" as he gets closer to UFA, so maybe it's time to just move on.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ferland has made it known he’s more about term than anything else. What does that mean? Hard to say, I’m sure he’s asking for 8 but knows that’s unrealistic for anyone less than star players so he has to have an actual number of years he’s willing to accept if he can get to it.

I’m guessing 5-6. He knows teams want 3-4 so if he picks a fight about it, it’s because he may choose the best team he can go to that gives him the 5-6. So maybe the TT deal helps define it. Maybe we offer 5.5 for 5-6 and hold there. He can ask for more than TT because of Ufa. He may get it out there.

It’s still a good offer. I know I desperately want the guy signed but I don’t want 8 years for anyone - even Aho. I’m just really aggravated about the summer trade and it’s trickle down effect. I feel like they had to sign him after trading for him. He was he only culture change in the trade and he’s brought it. He’ll always miss games but you have to take risks. TT is a risk too.
It looked more bad yesterday for him because with this pending RFA class and the potential paradigm change in who gets the big money deals, but TT's contract kind of whiplashed it back to the "RFAs sign cheap".

Maybe the NHLPA cap weights on Ferly's head to for him to now solidify this new CBA-approved development with an agreeable-to-all UFA-esque extension as a showpiece for the rest of the League.

The GMs around the league probably have been phoning to Waddell today to thank him for signing TT to this paper.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
If Ferly wants to chase the money, then so be it. I hope we get a good haul for him at the deadline. I like his play and what he brings, but we're talking about a guy who's 26 and has a single 40 point season and will probably be mid 40s this season. 6-7mil is utter insanity. Even 5 mil strikes me as risky. I am terrified of the possibility of this contract turning into an albatross.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
When he says stuff like this unprompted in interviews it makes me think luke and cory dont actually know anything about anything. Also on the last TSN insiders Bobby made it sound like he could be traded but it was far from a sure thing, which is opposite from what the others are saying. So its like who knows what to believe.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The player has said it unprompted to the media in Calgary. Fans are already all over them for not signing the guy. They’ve made a trade to lessen the blow. They signed TT so we’ll be less pissed about Ferland when TT has nowhere to go. They had till next October to sign him, and just like the other two RFA’s they made a decision well in advance that shows their intention. There was no issues with negotiating Lindy and Hanifin. They wanted change and those two were what other teams wanted. We signed TT now because no one has any faith we’re going to pay anyone and they’re about to trade Ferland because they don’t want to pay him. The trade only added a million to the payroll. It was a good trade but even the announcers are on board telling us Nino brings what Ferland does. It’s crap. Just say what you’re doing. JR and RF never needed narratives. Say we can’t afford Ferland. Say you’re making the summer moves for money and because you want a different team made in your image instead of saying they don’t want to win. Say you traded Lindy to save money and never really knew if you were going to sign Ferland and you needed the money for Aho anyways so you don’t care.

The timing makes it all pretty obvious. The trade deadline is coming, but TT wasn’t for sale anyways.

I’m not saying the moves are wrong but it’s pretty obvious we don’t want to pay Ferland despite him wanting to stay. Maybe he does want too much but when the player is saying to everyone he wants to stay and our media who doesn’t question anything the new regime does says the player wants out it seems pretty obvious what’s going on.

As always, I hope I’m wrong and tomorrow we’ve resigned Ferland and I’ll shut up.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think I'm at peace with whatever happens at this point. If we trade him, I think we'll get a good haul given that he's a good player, plays a style everyone wants and needs, and anyone can fit him in with that contract. I also have concerns about locking a player of his style up that's potentially got some scary injury issues, so I can live with a trade.

I do get the feeling that if we sign him, it won't be on crazy terms. It'll be a fair for both sides kind of thing. And as long as that's the case, I'm willing to take on some risk.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The player has said it unprompted to the media in Calgary. Fans are already all over them for not signing the guy. They’ve made a trade to lessen the blow. They signed TT so we’ll be less pissed about Ferland when TT has nowhere to go. They had till next October to sign him, and just like the other two RFA’s they made a decision well in advance that shows their intention. There was no issues with negotiating Lindy and Hanifin. They wanted change and those two were what other teams wanted. We signed TT now because no one has any faith we’re going to pay anyone and they’re about to trade Ferland because they don’t want to pay him.

The timing makes it all pretty obvious. The trade deadline is coming, but TT wasn’t for sale anyways.

I’m not saying the moves are wrong but it’s pretty obvious we don’t want to pay Ferland despite him wanting to stay. Maybe he does want too much but when the player is saying to everyone he wants to stay and our media who doesn’t question anything the new regime does says the player wants out it seems pretty obvious what’s going on.

OK, so getting a #5OA for a #42OA who was consistently underperforming our AHLers was "a trade to lessen the blow"?

And signing one of our top RFAs for a number that was under expectations league-wide is some kind of smokescreen?

Look, Ferland is fine. If things work out, I hope we keep him. But you are all over this dude's jock. It's kind of embarrassing.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
It was a good trade but even the announcers are on board telling us Nino brings what Ferland does.
But what if they bring here Miller and let Ferland go? I mean, Miller is better than Ferland, younger, more proven and with much better contract (probably). Ferland is nice player but let's not act like he's the only one who brings toughness and scoring touch.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
OK, so getting a #5OA for a #42OA who was consistently underperforming our AHLers was "a trade to lessen the blow"?

And signing one of our top RFAs for a number that was under expectations league-wide is some kind of smokescreen?

Look, Ferland is fine. If things work out, I hope we keep him. But you are all over this dude's jock. It's kind of embarrassing.
It’s honestly not as much about him as much as everything that’s happened. Struggling with the new regime, it’s tactics and it’s general disregard for what was already built. If when it’s all said and done, and we’ve built a good team that has a respectable payroll that’s competitive every year I’ll be less critical. Just not a fan of how they’re doing it so far obviously. I don’t want to hear about how the guy wants too much money and wants the test the market from the same people that told me the other players didn’t really want to win or play here. Especially when the guy in question is telling everyone he wants to play here.

I’m more all over Lindy’s jock, I just don’t want to given it away for nothing. If we trade him for a low first rounder and a middling prospect I’m obviously going to pissed. If we turned that first rounder into something like Zibs I’d be on Waddell’s jock like a fat kid on a cupcake.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Just trade for Miller. He's better at everything, signed and cheaper. Then trade Ferly for pick and good prospect.
I'd love to bring Miller here. But that is not going to happen before the draft. No way Tampa trades him out on their way to a deep cup run. This summer, when they need to sign some bigger contracts and others come due, yeah, he's probably getting moved. But it won't happen now, so we need to decide if Ferland is a part of the plan before we think about Miller.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

It's a negotiation. The player wants to stay, the team wants to keep him, but that doesn't mean a deal will get done. Why isn't it possible that management is truly trying to get Ferland signed, but want him to come down to a more reasonable price?

All we know now is that the negotiation with Ferland is clearly about money. Everything points to management trying to get him signed around the $5 million mark. I don't see why they need a narrative.

If they can't sign him, they'll trade him. That's not a narrative, it's a fact of life.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If nothing else, this is a regime that is going to try actively to make moves to make the team better. Sometimes those moves will work, and sometimes they won't -- and at some point they're just gonna have to spend more money. But it sure looks like they're doing their very best to spend that money on the actual right things.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Between the Nino trade and the TT signing, I think we’re subtly (or not so subtly) sending a message to Ferland about what we believe he’s worth to the team.

TT has multiple 60-point seasons and he’s getting 5.4
Nino has multiple 20-goal seasons and he’s getting 5.25

If what he’s asking for (whatever that might be) doesn’t line up with that, then it certainly doesn’t behoove us to pay him rather than trade him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If nothing else, this is a regime that is going to try actively to make moves to make the team better. Sometimes those moves will work, and sometimes they won't -- and at some point they're just gonna have to spend more money. But it sure looks like they're doing their very best to spend that money on the actual right things.
I definitely agree that they’ll have to spend money at some point to improve. I like today’s move but I view it as money they had to spend. Turning Rask into Nino is money spent better but it’s mostly money already spent. If they could do the same to Darling it would be even more impressive but still the same money. Turning Kruger into Martinook is more of the same. Keeping the remaining things we have is crucial and turning bad money into good is also crucial.

I’m waiting for us to add something like we needed to in the summer instead of jumping up and down that we kept what we already had or turned good money from bad - even though those are good things.

We all know we needed to add to this. Today proves he’s willing to spend something. He hadn’t done that yet. Im happy about that and believe it or not I’m a fan of TT. Just not as passionately as others. I see him differently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad