Speculation: Ferland and his future with the Canes

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ferland's Agent to every NHL team : "How much would you pay a player not named Micheal Ferland, but who played very, very similar to Micheal Ferland? And how much term would come with that deal?" Asking for a friend....

It goes exactly like that.

Violation of tampering by-law in the NHL!?

"How smart people tamper"

Friedman went on to explain that players and agents were in the middle of tampering situations, with specifics examples. GMs across the NHL are getting the hang of this:

I had one agent flat-out tell me one time he had a conversation six months before his player got to free agency and said, ‘I’m not doing my job if I don’t test the market,’ “ said Friedman. “So he calls up a GM he thinks he’ll be interested in him and… they never mention names. ‘Will you be looking for a left-shot D next year?’

“‘Yeah. I’m looking for someone about 28 years old. Left-shot D. Maybe has a pedigree from the Western Hockey League.’

“So basically they’re doing everything except mentioning the name. And that’s kind of the way things go.”

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
There's limited amount of good UFAs, good goalies, good cap space to pay an UFA, good spots on good teams for UFAs to go around, and no one wants to miss out in the early July hassles. Once a matching team and player finds each other I don't think they are too worried of the calendar and if it's "May" or whatever.

If Narolina Nurricanes feel they could use a Nicheal Nerland for the years to come on a certain salary price, and Nerland feels he would like to live in Narolina if certain salary minimum is met, and Nerland's agent has put feelers around to know that Nerland isn't going to get outrageously more from another team, if the salary lines can be made to meet each other it's not sensible to not effectively lock it up, calendar be damned.

July 1st if when they all move to officially lock their pre-agreed positions. We can't be sure if the SPCs faxed to the Registry haven't actually been signed weeks before and only dated to July 1st.

Ferland's Agent to every NHL team : "How much would you pay a player not named Micheal Ferland, but who played very, very similar to Micheal Ferland? And how much term would come with that deal?" Asking for a friend....

Does tampering happen? Absolutely. And I'm sure it happens a lot like this. I'm also sure players talk to players. But that's not what you guys said. You guys are claiming there are handshake, secret deals to bring UFA players back as they get traded at the deadline. Two different animals. I'm 100 percent certain contracts are discussed and agreed upon before July 1. But again, that's not what you guys were claiming.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does tampering happen? Absolutely. And I'm sure it happens a lot like this. I'm also sure players talk to players. But that's not what you guys said. You guys are claiming there are handshake, secret deals to bring UFA players back as they get traded at the deadline. Two different animals. I'm 100 percent certain contracts are discussed and agreed upon before July 1. But again, that's not what you guys were claiming.

I personally was claiming no such thing. The scenario on pre-agreeing with a pending UFA traded on tdl is a highly specific scenario, and I have absolutely no idea how many times it might even have happened that a traded pending UFA signed with his old team in Free Agency, but can't be that many occasions.

Washington did recently some stuff with a guy though, traded away as salary dump to a floor team who bought him out, and he then re-signed with WSH for much cheaper paper. If I remember correctly the League looked into it, but they got away with it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's also a lot easier to circle back with the player before July 1 now with the late June window, so it would be even harder to prove tampering. Any offer made to sign before the trade is a legitimate negotiation with your own player, and any offer made in late June is legitimate negotiation with an upcoming UFA, so it would have to be blatant and probably in writing to get in trouble.

Paul Fenton: So, uh, Eric, can we talk about why you changed your ringtone to "Carolina in my Mind" after you talked to your brother and 'a few of his friends' for two hours after practice last week? Also, I tried to call your agent, and they put me on hold and never answered, and I had to listen to "Raise Up" for three hours.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Good to know so many teams are interested. at least when we do trade him it should be a petty good return.

Keep in mind he's only owed about $700k the rest of the season, too, and even that is dropping about $10k a day. So even teams up against the cap should have no trouble fitting him in. This could actually be fun. Between the player, his playoff legend, his salary, and the number of teams interested, we *should* get more for Ferland than we did for Skinner.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My comment was more about how his agent will be talking to all teams prior to July 1....and mostly as a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00