GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
teme said:
Quote of the day goes to Tapio Suominen, studio host for YLE the Finnish broadcaster. With the camera showing Gretky after the game, and with a straight voice:
"Wayne Gretzky, the GM of Canada deep in his thoughts. What ever he may be thinking, betting tips perhaps?"

That's a pretty good dig right there.

Dec 29, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
Right, I've watched enough to know you're out there.

Still waiting for you to tell me what lesson it was that Canada learned at Salt Lake City.

To play together as a team. They flat out sucked until Gretz got on tv and cried. Then they woke up. They play like a bunch of individuals, perhaps being shutout for 6 periods will bring them together or something...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Liquidrage said:
Last year's Chicago's team was very good actually even outside of goal. Very good. They dominated games last year. Not sure where you're buying your crack from but stop smoking it before you post.

I didn't actually see the games, I'll give you that. I was just thinking that a team that allows 54 shots isn't really "very good" and far from "dominant".

This is evident when you look at the stats. Antero had a lower GAA than Kari, but also a lower save percentage.

In 03-04, Antero played 10 games more than Kari and only had 12 more saves. In 04-05, Antero played 1 game more than Kari, yet Kari had 213 more saves.

Yes, the Chicago team must've been really really good.

EDIT: Just noticed how totally OT this is. My apologies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Andrew_11 said:
The defence definitely needs to step it up, Pronger and Regehr in particular. In my opinion, the best defencemen today was Jay Bouwmeester which, is not good considering he wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Jovo and Niedermayer pulling out. Nonetheless, I thought he was great today.
It would have been worse with Jovo.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Koivu - Selanne - Lehtinen

Best line in the tournament, hands down.

The Hossa line with the Slovaks is second.

Koivu and Selanne are one of the deadliest duo's to ever lace them up for international play.

Dec 29, 2004
Unbiased Canadian said:
Koivu - Selanne - Lehtinen

Best line in the tournament, hands down.

The Hossa line with the Slovaks is second.

Koivu and Selanne are one of the deadliest duo's to ever lace them up for international play.

Selanne is amazing. He is leading too. Lots of yapping on the bench. He is being respected, especially by Capt. Koivu too. I honestly thought this guy was washed up, but WOW!!! He is feeling it.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
I recognize that I can never hope to have a discussion with a poster with the remarkable power of fact creation at his disposal.

Funny, I was just about to remind everyone that when it comes to Crosby you're totally unable to have a rational argument.

We have seen it so many times.

But hey, you can pretend that Crosby doesn't have any problem with discipline, he doesn't take lots of penalties and doesn't yap at all. Also in the same fantasy universe of yours Canada just beat Finland.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
SignThornton said:
Can anyone tell me what happened to Nash in the 3rd period? Is he injured or did Quinn bench him? I only saw the 1st period of the game and when I came home Ron MacLean was discussing it after the game.

I noticed that to, he didnt enter the ice after 2nd period , damn :shakehead

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Pepper said:
Funny, I was just about to remind everyone that when it comes to Crosby you're totally unable to have a rational argument.

I have rational discussions about Crosby. I don't need to remind anybody that you are totally unable to have a rational argument about anything. You've ruined your credibility on your own.

Pepper said:
But hey, you can pretend that Crosby doesn't have any problem with discipline, he doesn't take lots of penalties and doesn't yap at all. Also in the same fantasy universe of yours Canada just beat Finland.

There you go making up facts again, I can't compete with it, I admit. So, is this a de facto fact?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I dont really see why everyone is arguing, I mean what is the argument here? Finland won, Canada lost, the game is over. Anything can happen, weve learned this for years upon years now.

As for the finnish guy saying that stuff about Gretzky, funny yes, unprofessional? Probably, personally, after hearing Don Cherry for so many years, that seems like absolutely nothing. With all of his shots at european players, why can't Finland make a little dig at Gretzky?

Last edited:

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
What I really like about this win is that Finland was actually able to hold on to the lead for 40 minutes and never gave Canada that one goal that would have gotten them right back in the game. You can say what you want about the trap, but I think it's a sign of a good team that they can take a lead early and keep it until the end. Too often I've watched the Finns squander leads against Canada and Sweden, so it's nice to get a game like this too.

I had no expectations for Finland in this tournament, so the good play so far has been a positive surprise. The low expectations might have helped the team too, they have had no pressure but instead a lot to prove. Even if Finland loses in the quarterfinals against the USA, I feel they've played a good tournament.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Random Oracle said:
What I really like about this win is that Finland was actually able to hold on to the lead for 40 minutes and never gave Canada that one goal that would have gotten them right back in the game. You can say what you want about the trap, but I think it's a sign of a good team that they can take a lead early and keep it until the end. Too often I've watched the Finns squander leads against Canada and Sweden, so it's nice to get a game like this too.

I had no expectations for Finland in this tournament, so the good play so far has been a positive surprise. The low expectations might have helped the team too, they have had no pressure but instead a lot to prove. Even if Finland loses in the quarterfinals against the USA, I feel they've played a good tournament.

After all this it'd be a huge letdown. It's far too early to even speculate about the gold game, but medal game should be very much attainable.

Liquidrage*

NightScout said:
I didn't actually see the games, I'll give you that. I was just thinking that a team that allows 54 shots isn't really "very good" and far from "dominant".

This is evident when you look at the stats. Antero had a lower GAA than Kari, but also a lower save percentage.

In 03-04, Antero played 10 games more than Kari and only had 12 more saves. In 04-05, Antero played 1 game more than Kari, yet Kari had 213 more saves.

Yes, the Chicago team must've been really really good.

EDIT: Just noticed how totally OT this is. My apologies.

OT shouldn't be a big deal.
But I have no clue what you're talking about.

Niitty saw more shots then Kari in every game in the Calder finals but 1, game 1.

In game 2, Niitty stopped 48 of 49 shots compated to Kari's 26 saves on 28 shots. Frank put up about a .950 Save % in the last seasons playoffs.

For the season, the Wolves outshot the opponents bu several hundred shots on the year.

So, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

The Wolves outshot the Phantoms last year in the finals yet were swept by them.
The Wolves *were* a very good team. They just ran into a better team, and that includes the goalie.

Now, mind you, I'm not dissing Kari at all. But he was outplayed by by Frank in last year's Calder's finals. Frank had a higher Save % in the playoffs. The Wolves outside of goal were a good team.

Now, if you want to strawman what you said earlier, be my guest. But I'm not going to bother arguing with you over them, and I'm not going to spend any time trying to figure out what your stats up there are trying to say, or how their relevant to your initial post that I replied to, which was about the finals last year.

usual suspects

Jan 2, 2006
Fredericton, NB
Random Oracle said:

Great attitude on the final paragraph! I wish more Canadians felt the same way about TC. I want Canada to win as bad as any Canadian but this win or don't bother going attitude is just awful..I hope we can turn it around and take the gaold but if not I just hope they are competitive in their final game and go out playing hard. These tournaments clearly show anyone of these teams can win. Most Canadians share the same feelings about TC as you do for Finland, it is the media and all the 16 yr old kids that make us look pathetic. Providing they turn it around and play a good tournament the rest of the wya......here comes the attacks from my fellow contrymen.....

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Borlag said:
After all this it'd be a huge letdown. It's far too early to even speculate about the gold game, but medal game should be very much attainable.

Don't get me wrong, I feel Finland is the favourite against the USA which is an easier opponent than any of Slovakia/Russia/Sweden. Nevertheless, the teams are not that far apart and the USA has a very realistic chance of winning the game. I just find it easier to be pessimistic and not get my hopes up.

Lee Harvey

Feb 19, 2006
Loved this game. though via radio, but still it was great! It was funny to hear father Koivu getting excited on the radio broadcast. (He´s a commentator on the finnish national radio channel) Does anyone have video highlights of this game? please share the link!

Critter

Feb 9, 2006
trippyime said:
But, I'm pretty sure if you look at other rosters, like Finland, the top producers from all of those countries are on their teams. And, got news for ya, Pitkanen and Kapanen were on the team but elected not to go. So don't you preach to me about "chemistry" and not taking the best "numbers" because your team did it too, EVERYONE does it.
But Finland doesn't have so much talent so they have to take almost everyone who has an offensive role in NHL. But almost, for ecsample, we took M.Koivu, J.Ruutu, A.Miettinen and A.Laaksonen before J.Jokinen in the team, because we also need defensively players. And different kind of players.

Of the game, oh it was great. Finnish hockey team is what makes me most happy about this country. It's just so cool to see every player giving their best on the ice. We are god damn warriors! :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad