GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Peter_Schaefer said:
Well, thanks for that. As long as we're being ***holes, I really enjoy your Finnish players playing in North America, it's a shame you guys can't afford to keep them in Finland.

That's just the way it goes... ;)

Last edited:

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
I felt like I was watching the Maple Leafs out there...****ing pisses me off. Great job Finland, will never jump off the Canada bandwagon but you don't freakin play 40 mins, you play 60 mins.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Vikke said:
Nitty dominated Lehtonen in last year's Calder Cup finals.

Niittymäki played in a much better team. And Lehtonen led the crappy Chicago team that far two years in a row getting even 50-60 saves a game.

Just because your team wins, doesn't mean you dominate.

Liquidrage*

NightScout said:
Niittymäki played in a much better team. And Lehtonen led the crappy Chicago team that far two years in a row getting even 50-60 saves a game.

Last year's Chicago's team was very good actually even outside of goal. Very good. They dominated games last year. Not sure where you're buying your crack from but stop smoking it before you post.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
I've just realized, with the exception of a possible injury to Redden and Heatley ... I don't care. I thought I did, but I'm just waiting for this tournament to be over so we can get back to NHL hockey.

It was a good game -- I don't know if it was the camera angles or the weird size of the ice, but the puck movement was faster than most NHL games. There were some weird decisions with the cameras though -- what was with the close-up on Heatley in the 2nd?

Our play today really reminded me of the Sens' play at its worst -- lots of firepower, but sloppy defense and just an unlucky and sometimes impotent offense.

Anyway. Hopefully the boys can get it going when it counts.

Dec 29, 2004
trippyime said:
No, but that's a really stupid way of looking at it.

You're telling me having the best defensemen in the country, one of the tops in the world, on the team would effect team chemistry and Finland would be losing? If anything, they'd be winning by more goals.

Nope, you are clearly putting words into my mouth.

But I forgive you, I understand you are used to getting away with just plugging the best numbers available into a squad and thinking you have built a team. Now it seems to have caught up with you.

The universe has a funny sense of humor, look at your last 2 score sheets. There are factors you ignore. Unknowns. What ifs. Like what if he got hurt during the 1st period and Finland was less one d-man. Or what if he took a bad penalty that led to a goal on the PP that sparked a run by the opposition... Murphys Law. Unknowns. The hockey gods. **** happens...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
JaykaShman said:
Canada's playing the 'dump and watch' style.. dump the puck in and watch Finland skate out with it.. lovely.
That's a good one. Canada can't even play the Canadian game of dump and chase.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
#37 said:
Nope, you are clearly putting words into my mouth.

But I forgive you, I understand you are used to getting away with just plugging the best numbers available into a squad and thinking you have built a team. Now it seems to have caught up with you.

The universe has a funny sense of humor, look at your last 2 score sheets. There are factors you ignore. Unknowns. What ifs. Like what if he got hurt during the 1st period and Finland was less one d-man. Or what if he took a bad penalty that led to a goal on the PP that sparked a run by the opposition... Murphys Law. Unknowns. The hockey gods. **** happens...

Yep, I'm definitely used to just "plugging the best numbers available" into the squad.

If you knew anything, you'd notice that many of Canada's top players this year, Crosby, Staal, Spezza, Tanguay, Savard, are not on this team. The team WAS built with different situations and different types of players in mind, you know, chemistry? Different players having different responsibilities - like penalty killing? You think Kris Draper has the best numbers? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

But, I'm pretty sure if you look at other rosters, like Finland, the top producers from all of those countries are on their teams. And, got news for ya, Pitkanen and Kapanen were on the team but elected not to go. So don't you preach to me about "chemistry" and not taking the best "numbers" because your team did it too, EVERYONE does it. Canada dropped the ball on it this time. It's ironic because they should've done what you're saying they already did.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
WpgBoy84 said:
who do you go with in goal against the Czechs? I'm liking Luongo at this point.

I'd love to see Luongo in there but I can't see it happening especially with the Canadian brass having a love for the experience factor. I thought Luongo was outstanding today but unfortunately it won't matter who starts against the Czechs if they get shutout again.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I wouldn't be worried if I were a canadian, the last period was awesome but the finns got Niitymäki and some luck there, groupstage means nothing as long as you reach the quarterfinals and then the canadians will be tough to beat as usual.

Pica

Jan 4, 2006
Canadian defence

Goaltending, team effort, luck...We had it all tonight. Great result for Finns :clap:

You Canadians will have to work really hard to get gold with those defenders, couldnt believe how slow some of em were. I think it could get ugly against Czech's attackers, theyve got more speed and loads more skill than us.

Hopefully Jagr plays and is 100%, they were really lost without him after he left the game.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
zx81 said:
Unfortunately for Finland it doesn't mean much. Pretty much all the teams except Italy and Germany could shutout this team.
bitter??

hmmmmm...............

no one has shut out the finns, not even canada.
more importantly, tho finns outplayed and outworked canada.

canada was shut out by suisse. 2-0.
and by the excellent finns today. 2-0.

"Pretty much all the teams except Italy and Germany could shutout this team."

:D

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
RuuhkaTukka said:
Frankly my dear, we have a #1 goalie! Niittymäki prkl, what a game. Canada came back for the second and third period, but Finland was able to shut them down.

Canada is going to be a tough team to beat. They just have to play 60 minutes, not 40.
Even their 2nd and 3rd periods weren't that great. A few scoring chances here and there but as a whole, Niittymäki only had about five good stops.

Dec 29, 2004
trippyime said:
Yep, I'm definitely used to just "plugging the best numbers available" into the squad.

If you knew anything, you'd notice that many of Canada's top players this year, Crosby, Staal, Spezza, Tanguay, Savard, are not on this team. The team WAS built with different situations and different types of players in mind, you know, chemistry? Different players having different responsibilities - like penalty killing? You think Kris Draper has the best numbers? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

How's that working for ya?

I don't think Crosby or Savard would be helping you much, they have both have discipline problems...

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
nik jr said:
bitter??

hmmmmm...............

no one has shut out the finns, not even canada.
more importantly, tho finns outplayed and outworked canada.

canada was shut out by suisse. 2-0.
and by the excellent finns today. 2-0.

"Pretty much all the teams except Italy and Germany could shutout this team."

:D

He's talking about Canada. Every team in the group could shutout Canada because they stink right now.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
NightScout said:

Plus with Lehtonen in goal, Canada would have been 2 goals in the minus. He's just that damn good! :yo: :D ;)

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
In the post-game interviews both Timonen and
Kapanen were constantly talking about the TEAM.
It was nice to notice, that there were practicly
no smiles on either one's face after the win.
They still looked very concentrated and very
determined.

Oh, yes.
Ruutu was interviewed during the second interval.
'I came here to win, not to make buddies' - was
his answer to the question about the hit yesterday.

I'd say we're on a good path.
I hope we stay on it.

Last edited:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
#37 said:
How's that working for ya?

I don't think Crosby or Savard would be helping you much, they have both have discipline problems...

Is there a language problem here or something? Did you even read what I said?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
The defence definitely needs to step it up, Pronger and Regehr in particular. In my opinion, the best defencemen today was Jay Bouwmeester which, is not good considering he wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Jovo and Niedermayer pulling out. Nonetheless, I thought he was great today.

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
Can anyone tell me what happened to Nash in the 3rd period? Is he injured or did Quinn bench him? I only saw the 1st period of the game and when I came home Ron MacLean was discussing it after the game.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Kelly Hrudey and others said the offence was ok,the big problem was defence.

I agree, the defence was caught running around,but after all Canada was shut out.No matter how few goals are allowed, if the team doesn't score they can't win.

They havent scored in quite a while. And Doan and Draper were getting lots of ice time. Strange

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I'm not really worried. Canada had a bad round robin last Olympics and they did fine. This year's has been worse, but there is still time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad