GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Oilerfan120582 said:
Finland is a truly excellent team and deserved to win. However, I'm still not too worried as a Canadian fan as there was some definite improvement in our game. Despite our abysmal 1st period, I thought we played pretty well and improved in a few areas. Our forwards started backchecking for once and helping out the defensmen and stopped trying to be too fancy on the offensive side The Finnish tender played great and our guys are a bit snakebitten, but the goals will come. I'm just thankful we have 5 games to work out all the kinks.

BTW, did they use NHL or international sized rinks in Salt Lake City? I seem to remember it being big ice, but it was in North America so I'm not positive.
No matter where on earth, the Olympics are always played on the big ice surface.

sansan

Jul 30, 2005
pepty said:
They havent scored in quite a while. And Doan and Draper were getting lots of ice time. Strange

Doan was playing harder than Nash was and he got rewarded with more ice time. Was laying out Finns left and right hoping to get some energy going. Unfortunately it didn't work. Even if Nash was out there, I doubt he'd do anything significant anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
shakes said:
Yeh.. good thing he's not watching Redden or Pronger play tonight.. he might learn some bad habits

Shows you that Quinn can turn even the best dman into ordinary ones by his loosey goosey no defense system ..

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MooseHunter said:
Nash hasn't been playing well at all... Bertuzzi was one of the only players that has actually played consistently all tourny.
You mean consistantly a non factor? He was only more or less good against Italy.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Quote of the day goes to Tapio Suominen, studio host for YLE the Finnish broadcaster. With the camera showing Gretky after the game, and with a straight voice:
"Wayne Gretzky, the GM of Canada deep in his thoughts. What ever he may be thinking, betting tips perhaps?"

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
teme said:
Quote of the day goes to Tapio Suominen, studio host for YLE the Finnish broadcaster. With the camera showing Gretky after the game, and with a straight voice:
"Wayne Gretzky, the GM of Canada deep in his thoughts. What ever he may be thinking, betting tips perhaps?"

:shakehead

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Lehtonen32 said:
For much of this season they've been 1 and 2 for most minor penalties by a forward..

(or at least close to it)

So? That's not much proof of a discipline problem.

Anyway, doesn't matter, they're not in the olympics. It was just a stupid comment to make.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
teme said:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
nik jr said:
bitter??

hmmmmm...............

no one has shut out the finns, not even canada.
more importantly, tho finns outplayed and outworked canada.

canada was shut out by suisse. 2-0.
and by the excellent finns today. 2-0.

"Pretty much all the teams except Italy and Germany could shutout this team."

:D

You misunderstood me.
I meant that pretty much all the teams could shut out CANADA not Finland.
It's why I said it didn't mean much for Finland to beat this team 2-0.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
teme said:

You don't even want me to respond to that quote- what I would really want to say would not be printable on here :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
teme said:

Man that's just in bad taste

RuuhkaTukka

Feb 1, 2006
Canuck21t said:
Even their 2nd and 3rd periods weren't that great. A few scoring chances here and there but as a whole, Niittymäki only had about five good stops.

Yes you are right. On the other hand Finland had 5-6 scoring changes in the first and maby 3-4 in the last two periods.

Dec 29, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:

Watch a few games, look at their PIMs.

I was actually surprised to see Crosby and Savard tied with 80 PIM's each. I know Savard is undisciplined, I watch every ATL game I can. I have seen maybe 12 or so Pens games and Crosby likes to talk to the refs so much, they had to give him an "A" so he wouldn't get in trouble. That kid has spent 4 games worth of ice time in the sin-bin. Mario needs to spank him, put him on restriction, and cut his allowance or something...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
hifk88 said:
Finland was clearly a better team than Canada and that is a fact....
Please. no excusis Canadians.... ;)
Yeah, we're making lots of excuses alright :shakehead. Like someone else said, it's the jetlag; we just need three more weeks and we'll be unbeatable :biglaugh:.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:

Anyway, doesn't matter, they're not in the olympics. It was just a stupid comment to make.

Actually number of minor penalties tells a lot about the discipline.

And we all know about how difficult it is for Crosby to keep his mouth shut during the game.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I still miss Pitkänen.. i noticed that Nummelin was afraid of those Canadian forwards.

I mean when we could have some one who can hit and skate instead of Nummelin the choise would be easy..

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:

Well I can't speak for Crosby as much as I can for Savard, but it certainly is indicative of a discipline problem in the case of Marc. I'd say being among the league leaders for most penalties is pretty indicative of a discipline problem full stop, but maybe I'm just biased from seeing the Atlanta-Pens games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad