GDT: Feb. 19, 2006 | Canada vs. Finland | 3 PM ET | 9 PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
ferns8916 said:
Yes. He is day-to-day with a bruised ego.
I thought those were indefinately.

I still can't stop laughing at what the Swedish commentator said when Derian Hatcher slooowly glided into the Swedish zone with the puck, unchallenged.
Commentator 1: "We can't let him advance in that easily."
Commentator 2: "I definately agree. We have to put a stop to that gliding outhouse." :biglaugh:

I still laugh and it was 7 hours ago. I just thought it was such a funny comment on Hatcher that I had to let you know.

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Chimp said:
I thought those were indefinately.

I still can't stop laughing at what the Swedish commentator said when Derian Hatcher slooowly glided into the Swedish zone with the puck, unchallenged.
Commentator 1: "We can't let him advance in that easily."
Commentator 2: "I definately agree. We have to stop that gliding outhouse." :biglaugh:

I still laugh and it was 7 hours ago. I just thought it was such a funny comment on Hatcher that I had to let you know.
:biglaugh:

thx.

wheeler1*

Doan was the only player who played with any kind of energy. He was checking finns left and right , trying to create a spark on offence but none of his teammates showed up.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
I saw some comments regarding one-sided refereeing (in favor of Canada). Well, let's ponder this: maybe the Canadians wouldn't get called if (1) they kept their feet moving and (2) didn't have such an urge to hold and hook.

Just an observation. Smart hockey will always beat sheer talent. The Finns and the Swiss have shown it. Time for Canada to wisen up.

I still don't see a real need to blame Gretzky here for the team selection, though. I will, however, admit that Pat Quinn needs to be replaced. Pronto. He's making Frantisek Hossa look good.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
thebodyczech said:
I saw some comments regarding one-sided refereeing (in favor of Canada). Well, let's ponder this: maybe the Canadians wouldn't get called if (1) they kept their feet moving and (2) didn't have such an urge to hold and hook.

Just an observation. Smart hockey will always beat sheer talent. The Finns and the Swiss have shown it. Time for Canada to wisen up.

I still don't see a real need to blame Gretzky here for the team selection, though. I will, however, admit that Pat Quinn needs to be replaced. Pronto. He's making Frantisek Hossa look good.

The Swiss are seeing more success because they have a Canadian coach and have copied the Canadian system of hockey. The Finns have always played a similar game to Canada as well. We aren't copying their game, they are copying ours. This particular Canadian team may not go far, but hey that's the way the puck bounces, but Canada will always do just fine the way they are thank you very much. :)

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Pathfinder said:
The Swiss are seeing more success because they have a Canadian coach and have copied the Canadian system of hockey. The Finns have always played a similar game to Canada as well. We aren't copying their game, they are copying ours. This particular Canadian team may not go far, but hey that's the way the puck bounces, but Canada will always do just fine the way they are thank you very much. :)

I was referring to the teams' on ice play. Finland looked like a machine. The same I could say about the Swiss, from what I saw, at least. It's like the saying goes. Fortune sides, not with the biggest armies, but with those that shoot best. Right now, the Finns and Swiss are shooting "best." Perhaps Canada could learn something from them. If we can't learn something from each other, after all, how would we progress?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
What do you mean by "Canadian system"? The trap the Finns/Swedes play is purely European. I know the Red Wings during the Bowman years copied a trap they found used in Sweden.

When I think about the Canadian style, I think about playing rough, dumping the puck, circling the boards etc... Playoff style. I really don't see that except for Canada and USA in this tournament.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
Start Hitting!!

Look at what the Canadian world junior team did to a very talents Russian team. They hit them, scored a few and hit them again. This is what the men have to do. When they are hitting they are carrying the play. I think this team may be to soft. Start hitting!!!

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
ScottyBowman said:
What do you mean by "Canadian system"? The trap the Finns/Swedes play is purely European. I know the Red Wings during the Bowman years copied a trap they found used in Sweden.

When I think about the Canadian style, I think about playing rough, dumping the puck, circling the boards etc... Playoff style. I really don't see that except for Canada and USA in this tournament.

Which, in my humble opinion, explains their comparative lack of success.

He who scores most wins. You score by getting more shots on net, by being quicker and smarter than your opponent. Not by outhitting or outgrabbing him.

I agree with your observations, if I understood you correctly.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
thebodyczech said:
Which, in my humble opinion, explains their comparative lack of success.

He who scores most wins. You score by getting more shots on net, by being quicker and smarter than your opponent. Not by outhitting or outgrabbing him.

I agree with your observations, if I understood you correctly.

As I just said in the other thread to you, I don't believe they're trying to grind it out the way some people are saying. If anything, they're not grinding enough.

But to say you score by getting more shots on net, I guess you didn't watch the Swiss game? What were the shots, 50-20 roughly for Canada? That theory just went out the window, didn't it? ;)

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Thats what I meant. It seems whenever the Canadians try to turn on the jets, they start to play very physical and it ends putting them shorthanded. One question...

Were the refs in the 2002 olympics all from the nhl? I could have sworn that was the case but I'm not positive.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
thebodyczech said:
I was referring to the teams' on ice play. Finland looked like a machine. The same I could say about the Swiss, from what I saw, at least. It's like the saying goes. Fortune sides, not with the biggest armies, but with those that shoot best. Right now, the Finns and Swiss are shooting "best." Perhaps Canada could learn something from them. If we can't learn something from each other, after all, how would we progress?

We do learn from each other, it's been happening for decades now. I think what the Finns have going for them especially in this Olympics is team play. Strong team play will always defeat a group of individuals. This Canadian team doesn't seem to be clicking as well as it should. Should they go on to not even medal in these Olympics I don't see it as any reason to panic and for hockey Canada to change the system that we have in place. Just the wrong grouping of players this time around who never became a real team, :dunno: Combine that with the fact that there are a lot of great hockey nations out there now who can upset at any time in a short tournament. That's why we all watch isn't it? Isn't that also why we get excited when the "underdog" comes along and turns things around?

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
trippyime said:
As I just said in the other thread to you, I don't believe they're trying to grind it out the way some people are saying. If anything, they're not grinding enough.

But to say you score by getting more shots on net, I guess you didn't watch the Swiss game? What were the shots, 50-20 roughly for Canada? That theory just went out the window, didn't it? ;)

But they were well taken. Apparently. From what I hear, Brodeur is the best goalie in the world. ;)

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
thebodyczech said:
But they were well taken. Apparently. From what I hear, Brodeur is the best goalie in the world. ;)

Gerber was the best goalie in that game, no doubt about that.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Pathfinder said:
Yes, but I prefer the word "frustrating" from my perspective :biglaugh:

Sorry about that, mate. Hey, if it helps, I guess you can count on a better team for 2010. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada pull a rabbit out of a hat (excuse the odd metaphor) come medal time.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
thebodyczech said:
Sorry about that, mate. Hey, if it helps, I guess you can count on a better team for 2010. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada pull a rabbit out of a hat (excuse the odd metaphor) come medal time.

No worries. Canada has been known to do it in the past, and I'm not completely ruling it out, but my hopes for much better in this Olympics aren't soaring right now :p:

Canadian and Czech fans can get together and have a good cry in our beer after it's all over :D

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NightScout said:
Niittymäki played in a much better team. And Lehtonen led the crappy Chicago team that far two years in a row getting even 50-60 saves a game.

Just because your team wins, doesn't mean you dominate.

Chicago was considered the better team, and was favored to win the Calder Cup.

Giving up 4 goals in a 4 game sweep, and winning MVP honors, is a dominating performance.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Pathfinder said:
No worries. Canada has been known to do it in the past, and I'm not completely ruling it out, but my hopes for much better in this Olympics aren't soaring right now :p:

Canadian and Czech fans can get together and have a good cry in our beer after it's all over :D

Here, here! :cheers:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Congrats to all Finnish fans - it was a great game they played. Just steamrolled Canada in the 1st... I loved how your guys battled. Began to run out of steam toward the end, but held the fort.

I think Canada has a big reserve, still. To this point they've looked as if they just expect to win automatically - they come out kind of passive, get behind, than put together a 5 minute dominant stretch and kind of expect the opponents to buckle. When that does not happen, they seem at a loss. But all they got to do is play 60 minutes... their game is not complicated, its not like the Russian team that really has to play in a certain rhythm... if Canada plays hard for 60 minutes, with their size and ability, they can still overpower the others, IMO.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
artilector said:
Congrats to all Finnish fans - it was a great game they played. Just steamrolled Canada in the 1st... I loved how your guys battled. Began to run out of steam toward the end, but held the fort.

I think Canada has a big reserve, still. To this point they've looked as if they just expect to win automatically - they come out kind of passive, get behind, than put together a 5 minute dominant stretch and kind of expect the opponents to buckle. When that does not happen, they seem at a loss. But all they got to do is play 60 minutes... their game is not complicated, its not like the Russian team that really has to play in a certain rhythm... if Canada plays hard for 60 minutes, with their size and ability, they can still overpower the others, IMO.

Why does being a Canuck fan have so many parallels to being a Team Canada fan right now?

Ahh, they'll pick it up when it counts.................

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I did a little calculation and came up with 20 cups for the 2002 team and 14 cups for the 2006 team.

I didn't count the 2002 cup that Yzerman/Shanny won or the 2003 cup Brodeur won etc.. in my calculations for 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad